2019–20 Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) Thread

Figure_Frenzy

@monchan I assume from what you've told me that the 80% rate was in place before all this? Still doesn't seem fair though, although I'm not a teacher I'm sure you still have to do the same amount of lesson-planning and prep work. 

@Sombreuil I can relate. My 76-year old mom refused to stay home all last week and went shopping every day. Saturday morning she went out in search of weedkiller, for crying out. There's still snow on the ground! I was tearing out my hair. 

3 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

@Sombreuil I can relate. My 76-year old mom refused to stay home all last week and went shopping every day. Saturday morning she went out in search of weedkiller, for crying out. There's still snow on the ground! I was tearing out my hair. 

My 70-yo dad is the same. I'm arguing with him almost everyday ... sigh. He has to walk his dog, he has to buy everything and anything every single day ... geez .... :banginghead:

3 minutes ago, ralucutzagy said:

My 70-yo dad is the same. I'm arguing with him almost everyday ... sigh. He has to walk his dog, he has to buy everything or anything every single day ... geez .... :banginghead:

Does he yell at you to stop trying to control him? My mom does. But if she got sick, she'd blame me for not warning her and tell me I have no sympathy for her. 

Parents. :gaah:

30 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Does he tell at you to stop trying to control him? My mom does. But if she got sick, she blame me for not warning her. 

Parents. :gaah:

Ofc he's telling me to shut up and leave him alone. That's why we are fighting almost everyday. And I told him: "Daddy, if you get sick, I get sick, my husband who suffered a cardiac arrest last year gets sick and so on. Don't you care at all????" And he mumbles something and leaves the room. It's so frustrating. >:(

My father can still read and his tabloid of choice has the most lurid headlines which at the moment fully support a lockdown - of course as soon as that gets boring they could easily switch track but at the moment that’s a real help - every time he wants to go to the pub I just tell him to look at the paper.  My father in law can no longer read and thinks we’re all talking rubbish, and says so loudly and is extremely resentful of anyone trying to tell him what to do :smiley_hairpull:

Japan definitely underreporting cases for hopes at Olympics, we know that Japan didn't have aggressive containment measures, and their numbers don't match up with other countries of similar containment measures strictness. 

I'm not sure if Yuzu is in Japan actually, it seemed like everything happened in quick succession. 

March 12 Worlds cancelled

March ?? TCC closed 

March 18 Canada inbound travel restriction imposed 

Not sure if he got the tickets in time. Wish the Worlds were cancelled sooner so he could leave earlier. Then again he is a stats student, I hope he understands the risks. 

Him being home will be great, there'll be a lot of much needed family time they missed over the years. But if his father and sister still works there's a risk of getting the virus, though probably not as high a chance than his mother shopping in Toronto for groceries, considering the state of New York right now. He also has to keep in mind that he might not be able to come back to Canada, and we don't know how long the restriction will last. Perhaps he will have private lessons when the worst is over? 

Also, the Spanish flu disappeared for a while in the Summer and came back in full force in the Autumn. Hope it doesn't happen here. 

Is Zhenya back in Russia now? 

Edit: Glad that my parents are reasonable and understand the risks. Best of luck to everyone and stay healthy! 

Just now, Salior said:

Japan definitely underreporting cases for hopes at Olympics, we know that Japan didn't have aggressive containment measures, and their numbers don't match up with other countries of similar containment measures strictness. 

I'm not sure if Yuzu is in Japan actually, it seemed like everything happened in quick succession. 

March 12 Worlds cancelled

March ?? TCC closed 

March 18 Canada inbound travel restriction imposed 

Him being home will be great, there'll be a lot of much needed family time they missed over the years. But if his father and sister still works there's a risk of getting the virus, though probably not as high a chance than his mother shopping in Toronto for groceries, considering the state of New York right now. He also has to keep in mind that he might not be able to come back to Canada, and we don't know how long the restriction will last. Perhaps he will have private lessons when the worst is over? 

Doctors in France and Italy report there is huge underreporting here.

In Italy, probably because they are overwhelmed.

In France, probably because it was decided not to test, even symptomatic people, and people at risk (such as people working in hospitals).

36 minutes ago, ralucutzagy said:

Ofc he's telling me to shut up and leave him alone. That's why we are fighting almost everyday. And I told him: "Daddy if you get sick, I get sick, my husband who suffered a cardiac arrest last year gets sick and so on. Don't you care at all????" And he mumbles something and leaves the room. It's so frustrating. >:(

Show him the videos of Spanish and Italian hospitals, there's plenty on reddit. That changed some minds for the elderlies I heard. They didn't think they'd get it either. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Coronavirus/ 

Italian hospital

Spoiler

Spanish hospital

Spoiler

Hope everything goes well. Best of health to your family 

1 minute ago, SitTwizzle said:

Doctors in France and Italy report there is huge underreporting here.

In Italy, probably because they are overwhelmed.

In France, probably because it was decided not to test, even symptomatic people, and people at risk (such as people working in hospitals).

Agreed. 70% of Singapore's imported cases spike these few days are from UK, yet their official cases isn't much. 

this video clearly explains the number of hidden cases behind every death. 

4 minutes ago, Salior said:

I don't exactly follow her social media accs but she seems to be still in Toronto. IMO the best course for everyone would be to stay put where they are and not do unnecessary trips/travels, on top of keeping your hygiene well and social distancing... 

4 minutes ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

I don't exactly follow her social media accs but she seems to be still in Toronto. IMO the best course for everyone would be to stay put where they are and not do unnecessary trips/travels, on top of keeping your hygiene well and social distancing... 

True, that's what I thought too. 

Also, this is crazy. Poor Javi

Boy is that ever grim.

My cousin has just been diagnosed after returning home from abroad. We returned the same day from other sides of the world and then it was straight into self-isolation for 2 weeks. Both of us have parents with pre-existing conditions. My parents are both staying elsewhere while I'm isolating, and my cousin stayed away from her home to isolate because of her mum - obviously a good decision now that covid-19 is confirmed. I'm nervous about after the 14 days is up and my parents come home. I don't have any symptoms but that doesn't seem to mean anything. 

8 minutes ago, memae said:

Boy is that ever grim.

My cousin has just been diagnosed after returning home from abroad. We returned the same day from other sides of the world and then it was straight into self-isolation for 2 weeks. Both of us have parents with pre-existing conditions. My parents are both staying elsewhere while I'm isolating, and my cousin stayed away from her home to isolate because of her mum - obviously a good decision now that covid-19 is confirmed. I'm nervous about after the 14 days is up and my parents come home. I don't have any symptoms but that doesn't seem to mean anything. 

omg ... this is so crazy ... good luck to you and speedy recovery to your cousin... everybody please stay safe ... I can't believe that this is really happening to us. In Romania, the govt just set up total quarantine ... sigh.

39 minutes ago, Salior said:

True, that's what I thought too. 

How strange too, while a few days ago a rumour circulated in France, about the Mulhouse ice-skating (Mulhouse is the worst-affected zone in France) to be used to this purpose. It was fake, but for Madrid it seems to be true, all newspapers relay at least.

https://www.francetvinfo.fr/sante/maladie/coronavirus/epidemie-de-coronavirus-non-la-patinoire-de-mulhouse-n-a-pas-ete-transformee-en-morgue_3876347.html

1 hour ago, Salior said:

:eeking::eeking::eeking:

I mean, Javi can't use the rink at this moment either way, but still.... (praying for strength and resilience for people in Spain, especially the healthcare workers, experts and other essential workers 🙏🙏🙏)