2019–20 Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) Thread

Figure_Frenzy

2 hours ago, Geo1 said:

They’ve been brainwashed by Trump’s claims of “fake news”.

Yes, we live in a pretty fucked up society where a lot of people are more apt to believe wild unfounded rumors started by halfwits on social media than they are unbiased professional experts and responsible accredited journalists.

I think the problem starts with the fact that no one assumes the experts are unbiased anymore... it's almost become automatic to look for the 'angle', which may be a realistic attitude but it's also one that erodes trust. 

6 hours ago, Murieleirum said:

Italy was like this two weeks ago. Give them two weeks time and it will be too real for them to continue ignoring it. Sad but that's how humans work, we only understand by living it on our own skin. 

Although, I don't want to sound too gloomy, it's not so bad staying at home. If you focus on the fact that it's temporary and you'll get to see all your loved ones again, of course if they'll also be careful, then everything's gonna be fine. There has to be a middle between complete apocalypse mode and not giving two shits.

I personally quite enjoyed my quarancation last week. With World's cancelled, I got to spend a week in the house completing projects that I've had languishing half-finished for years. 

I even cleaned out my storage closet and found ice wine from 2009, two bottles of Bordeaux, four bags of chips, and a packet of gourmet pasta, all of which I'd forgotten about, and still wouldn't know about without the coronavirus.  

So hey, silver lining! 

I opened the ice wine right away. It's very sweet and strong but really good. Tastes apple-y, goes great with Maria biscuits and Yuzu vids.

3 hours ago, cereus said:

Perhaps we could have a separate thread for coronavirus talk? It is understandably on all of our minds and we should have a place to talk about it among friends (and in an international forum), but some of us may prefer to keep that separate from the happiness we get from chatting about Yuzuru.

Please. I work in healthcare, and I know a lot of other satellites do as well. I could really use a break from the COVID talk, as things are starting to heat up where I live. Obviously I don't mind talking about it, but for my own mental health, it's best quarantined (sorry, can't resist the pun) from my hobbies.

I can’t believe how frigging stupid the authorities are in Japan.

52,000 people gathered, shoulder to shoulder, at Sendai Station to look at the Olympic torch! To further compound this problem, they are planning to continue a viewing of the torch – albeit with some distancing recommendations, etc.

I imagine that every city and/or Prefecture will be greeting the Olympic torch this way with thousands or tens of thousands gathering to witness the progression of the torch relay.

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20200323/p2a/00m/0na/015000c

10 minutes ago, Geo1 said:

52,000 people gathered, shoulder to shoulder, at Sendai Station to look at the Olympic torch! To further compound this problem, they are planning to continue a viewing of the torch – albeit with some distancing recommendations, etc.

I imagine that every city and/or Prefecture will be greeting the Olympic torch this way with thousands or tens of thousands gathering to witness the progression of the torch relay.

:headdesk:

But you know, I get why Sendai in particular would not want to miss their chance to see the flame. Compared to 3/11, this outbreak must feel like small potatoes to them. 

Okay, from now on I'm going to post all my CV talk in the thread I created. 

To get pointed back in the right (Yuzuward) direction, here's Jean-Luc Baker and his pet:

https://twitter.com/FSIgstories/status/1242118981928005632?s=20

My salary gets deducted 20% and prob no going out at all in next 2 weeks as i work full-time online. No compulsory lockdown yet but everyone is highly recommended to stay home as much as possible. I sleep too much that i feel very tired and even have nose stuck and sore throat just like corona symptom lol. The situation was not like this at all when the virus first exploded in china. Only when it broke in Europe and NA and now SEA that things are on the rise here. It hasnt even peaked in Europe and NA i dont know when it will end here. Endless boring days.

1 hour ago, monchan said:

My salary gets deducted 20% and prob no going out at all in next 2 weeks as i work full-time online. No compulsory lockdown yet but everyone is highly recommended to stay home as much as possible. I sleep too much that i feel very tired and even have nose stuck and sore throat just like corona symptom lol. The situation was not like this at all when the virus first exploded in china. Only when it broke in Europe and NA and now SEA that things are on the rise here. It hasnt even peaked in Europe and NA i dont know when it will end here. Endless boring days.

If you're still working full-time, why is your salary cut 20%?

36 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

If you're still working full-time, why is your salary cut 20%?

I teach, online teaching rate is only 80% of in-class teaching, ofc not everywhere is the same. At least I can still work, I know many teachers here can't even teach now that they have to do unrelated temporary jobs to cover living cost. If you're only contractors there might be chance you're made redundant.

3 hours ago, Geo1 said:

Dear God ... 52,000 ... incredible, are they even living in this world ... wtf

6 hours ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

I am no health expert in any form but this is actually a correct course to take, chloroquine can only be given with doctor's prescription, there have been cases of chloroquine overdose (some in Nigeria, and when I searched for this medicine there was one over in the US as well :/ ) due to self-medication attempt. On the other hand however there has been no conclusive evidence that shows that ibuprofen worsens a coronavirus patient's condition.

The problem is, this ban was done days before widespread communication on the matter (in English; nothing in French then), by a minister whose only politics to this point have been pleasing Big Pharma, and there is ALSO a ban on prescription. Only one professor, with the support of a (rather corrupted by the way, but instrumental here) local politics who happened to have severe symptoms and took some and was cured, was allowed to use it in his hospital. Patients with lupus cannot find chloroquine anymore, either.

Refusal too, of another cure for severe case, plasma transfusion from convalescent people to severely affected ones.

Why do we have so many severe cases, remaining so longer, and such a mortality rate among them?

We must wait patented vaccines and treatments!

And officials continue to parade, no confinement for them.

Now we have lockdown because the general public can’t resist nice spring weather and flocked en masse to beaches and beauty spots, to the point where Snowdonia in Wales had a record number of visitors in the middle of a bloody pandemic :facepalm:.

We had a family celebration at our house planned for last weekend but cancelled it.  No one travelled.  Everyone but our key workers is working from home ( though one vulnerable family member had to wait several days to be ‘cleared’ to do so for a decidedly non essential office job - some retail companies have skewed priorities 😡).  Med student child passed finals and is being fast tracked onto the wards.  Demented relatives are proving very difficult to lock down.  Feeling super resentful of these selfish idiots.  Taking it out on the brambles and ivy in the garden - bit too vigorously, my shoulders and arms are killing me.

As far as I know, the first reported infected person in Tohoku was from Sendai, but the city has no patient other than him at least now.

https://www.kahoku.co.jp/tohokunews/202003/20200306_13038.html

https://www.city.sendai.jp/kikikanri/kinkyu/200131corona2.html

And last night, it was reported that Hachinohe had the first infected persons and some fans guess it was one of the reasons SOI was cancelled after waiting us long. Now, I've watched the news on TV that Tokyo had 17 patients only today and that is the largest number for the city so far. Unfortunately, I think Japan's infection rate is going to be up from now on.  

30 minutes ago, yude said:

As far as I know, the first reported infected person in Tohoku was from Sendai, but the city has no patient other than him at least now.

https://www.kahoku.co.jp/tohokunews/202003/20200306_13038.html

https://www.city.sendai.jp/kikikanri/kinkyu/200131corona2.html

And last night, it was reported that Hachinohe had the first infected persons and some fans guess it was one of the reasons SOI was cancelled after waiting us long. Now, I've watched the news on TV that Tokyo had 17 patients only today and that is the largest number for the city so far. Unfortunately, I think Japan's infection rate is going to be up from now on.  

Sendai being capital of Tohoku, this is hardly surprising.

Japan's infection rate is of course going to be up, the epidemics is far from being finished, but this doesn't imply any explosion as we have here in Europe, as is starting in North America, and I fear Africa will soon be even worse-off.