2019–20 Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) Thread

Figure_Frenzy

15 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

Japan also seems to NOT really be taking serious measures.

Spoiler

See, that's what baffles me — even though Japan doesn't implement strict measures of any sorts the infection rate is similar to South Korea (which has done aggressive testing and mitigation steps for the population). I take it (from youtube videos about life in Japan that I came across) that most measures have been a personal initiative (eg. WFH order originated from the company itself) instead of the (central) government's recommendation or order. Japan might be able to pull strict measure once it's needed but still, timing is key, and that's...just baffles me still...

13 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

Many people hope it'll be better in the Summer because it'll be warm and generally coronaviruses  don't like warm weather.

...well Singapore is located right at the equator (warm all year round!) or at least very damn near to it, don't @ me! ;Þ but they still have to contain the spread aggressively. That said, I still think that it can be contained, even SARS didn't last for that long. So, until it blows over, we have to do all we can to stop the spread.

As of 8 PM on Sunday, March 22, Japan had a total of 1,091 confirmed cases of coronavirus infections.

Including the 712 cases from the Diamond Princess cruiseship, the total number is 1,803.

The total number of deaths stand at 49.

By prefecture, Hokkaido has 162, Aichi 143, Tokyo 138, Osaka 131, Hyogo 111, Kanagawa 75, Saitama 51 and Chiba 44.

There are no reported cases in Tohoku.

15 minutes ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

Reveal hidden contents

See, that's what baffles me — even though Japan doesn't implement strict measures of any sorts the infection rate is similar to South Korea (which has done aggressive testing and mitigation steps for the population). I take it (from youtube videos about life in Japan that I came across) that most measures have been a personal initiative (eg. WFH order originated from the company itself) instead of the (central) government's recommendation or order. Japan might be able to pull strict measure once it's needed but still, timing is key, and that's...just baffles me still...

...well Singapore is located right at the equator (warm all year round!) or at least very damn near to it, don't @ me! ;Þ but they still have to contain the spread aggressively. That said, I still think that it can be contained, even SARS didn't last for that long. So, until it blows over, we have to do all we can to stop the spread.

Singapore is actually doing a bang-up job of it. They're aggressively hospitalizing every single case, even mild ones, and quaratining the close contacts of all such cases and so their numbers have been really low. 

I wish I was in Singapore right now. Half the people around me don't seem to think this virus is even a threat. And yet, in NY state (just over the border from us), as of yesterday, they had 10,000 cases, with a 15% hospitalization rate. Basically that's game over for their hospitals already. 

26 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I wish I was in Singapore right now. Half the people around me don't seem to think this virus is even a threat. And yet, in NY state (just over the border from us), as of yesterday, they had 10,000 cases, with a 15% hospitalization rate. Basically that's game over for their hospitals already. 

I absolutely agree. Too many people in our city are totally oblivious to the dangers of the coronavirus and are ignoring instructions to limit gatherings and to social distance.

The news has been showing scenes of people gathering on the beach or in the parks on sunny days intermingling as if nothing is wrong. The news has shown people hosting huge parties and gatherings in their backyard.

Unless everyone cooperates and stays at home unless absolutely necessary, we are not going to be able to flatten the curve and get some control on the spread of this virus.

Prime Minister Trudeau shifted from asking people to telling people to not gather in groups and to social distance. Unless everyone cooperates, we may have to go to total lockdown backed by the invocation of the "Emergencies Act" which gives the federal government sweeping powers. It was previously called the "War Measures Act" and last invoked during the Québec FLQ crisis in 1970 when Canada's Prime Minister was Pierre Elliott Trudeau, the current prime minister's father.

It does make me angry too... all these people that aren't taking it seriously. I see people, many who are working from home, and they're outside... doing group stuff. Hello! The reason you were told to stay home was so that you stayed away from people.

Yup, Trudeau seemed a bit testy in his news conference today. I would be fining everyone if I saw them out there... they don't close everything and basically ruin the economy over a small threat...

17 minutes ago, Geo1 said:

The news has been showing scenes of people gathering on the beach or in the parks on sunny days intermingling as if nothing is wrong. The news has shown people hosting huge parties and gatherings in their backyard.

Italy was like this two weeks ago. Give them two weeks time and it will be too real for them to continue ignoring it. Sad but that's how humans work, we only understand by living it on our own skin. 

Although, I don't want to sound too gloomy, it's not so bad staying at home. If you focus on the fact that it's temporary and you'll get to see all your loved ones again, of course if they'll also be careful, then everything's gonna be fine. There has to be a middle between complete apocalypse mode and not giving two shits.

1 hour ago, Geo1 said:

As of 8 PM on Sunday, March 22, Japan had a total of 1,091 confirmed cases of coronavirus infections.

Including the 712 cases from the Diamond Princess cruiseship, the total number is 1,803.

The total number of deaths stand at 49.

By prefecture, Hokkaido has 162, Aichi 143, Tokyo 138, Osaka 131, Hyogo 111, Kanagawa 75, Saitama 51 and Chiba 44.

There are no reported cases in Tohoku.

I thought I had heard of a case in Sendai... or maybe it was just a suspicion.

I think there might be some things that work in Japan's favor. One is that physical contact isn't as common as in the West, another is that using masks is common there at all times, so wearing masks is no big deal for them. And maybe that hygiene is usually very important - they often bathe/shower at least twice a day - and things are generally cleaner (I still remember the shock of going from sparkling clean Japanese airport bathrooms to Vienna airport bathrooms... and that's Vienna, not some poor country, like my own, where I have no expectations) and people, possibly, a bit healthier, all of this combined might have helped, despite the authorities not taking serious measures. But the authorities appearing lax is making some people wonder if they're not hiding things in order to make the country seem safer and NOT get the Olympics canceled. I'm against conspiracy theories generally, but you can hear more and more people say this and assume that Japan's numbers are actually much worse than they say. I hope not.

Here, we're at over 550 cases and 6 deaths. All 6 deaths happened within 24 hours or so. Worse, they say several of those had no known contact with infected people and had no travel history. The authorities have been fairly strict and taking measures early on and now we're on virtual lockdown, but the problem is, like everywhere else, the people. Those not taking it seriously, those still socializing - although that is as good as banned now - and, worst of all, those lying about their travel history. And those running out of self-isolation or even quarantine. It was people like that that brought the numbers to where they are. People coming from affected areas, lying about it, so they wouldn't have to self-isolate, or ignoring self-isolation altogether and then going around and having contact with at least 100 other people. It's nuts. They're given large fines and a police record, accused of impeding pandemic measures, but it seems they just don't care. Maybe the new measures of taking them to quarantine and restarting the 14 days of quarantine every time they run away might work better as determent.

I've been working from home for almost a week now - only went out briefly yesterday, to an ATM - and I don't mind staying at home much. I have lots of things to do that I never got around to doing otherwise. Currently, I feel I might enjoy it a bit more if I didn't have to work, but I'd also probably get bored more quickly. The only real thing is I envy people who have yards and who can still go out into their own yards when the weather is nice lol

14 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

I thought I had heard of a case in Sendai... or maybe it was just a suspicion.

I think there might be some things that work in Japan's favor. One is that physical contact isn't as common as in the West, another is that using masks is common there at all times, so wearing masks is no big deal for them. And maybe that hygiene is usually very important - they often bathe/shower at least twice a day - and things are generally cleaner (I still remember the shock of going from sparkling clean Japanese airport bathrooms to Vienna airport bathrooms... and that's Vienna, not some poor country, like my own, where I have no expectations) and people, possibly, a bit healthier, all of this combined might have helped, despite the authorities not taking serious measures. But the authorities appearing lax is making some people wonder if they're not hiding things in order to make the country seem safer and NOT get the Olympics canceled. I'm against conspiracy theories generally, but you can hear more and more people say this and assume that Japan's numbers are actually much worse than they say. I hope not.

Here, we're at over 550 cases and 6 deaths. All 6 deaths happened within 24 hours or so. Worse, they say several of those had no known contact with infected people and had no travel history. The authorities have been fairly strict and taking measures early on and now we're on virtual lockdown, but the problem is, like everywhere else, the people. Those not taking it seriously, those still socializing - although that is as good as banned now - and, worst of all, those lying about their travel history. And those running out of self-isolation or even quarantine. It was people like that that brought the numbers to where they are. People coming from affected areas, lying about it, so they wouldn't have to self-isolate, or ignoring self-isolation altogether and then going around and having contact with at least 100 other people. It's nuts. They're given large fines and a police record, accused of impeding pandemic measures, but it seems they just don't care. Maybe the new measures of taking them to quarantine and restarting the 14 days of quarantine every time they run away might work better as determent.

I've been working from home for almost a week now - only went out briefly yesterday, to an ATM - and I don't mind staying at home much. I have lots of things to do that I never got around to doing otherwise. Currently, I feel I might enjoy it a bit more if I didn't have to work, but I'd also probably get bored more quickly. The only real thing is I envy people who have yards and who can still go out into their own yards when the weather is nice lol

Thank God the weather got worse and we may not be that angry for not be able to enjoy the spring sun glowing over the revived naure. Now looking out the window at the cold rainy snowy days might be better feeling!

3 hours ago, liv said:

It does make me angry too... all these people that aren't taking it seriously. I see people, many who are working from home, and they're outside... doing group stuff. Hello! The reason you were told to stay home was so that you stayed away from people.

Yup, Trudeau seemed a bit testy in his news conference today. I would be fining everyone if I saw them out there... they don't close everything and basically ruin the economy over a small threat...

3 hours ago, Geo1 said:

I absolutely agree. Too many people in our city are totally oblivious to the dangers of the coronavirus and are ignoring instructions to limit gatherings and to social distance.

Unless everyone cooperates and stays at home unless absolutely necessary, we are not going to be able to flatten the curve and get some control on the spread of this virus.

Prime Minister Trudeau shifted from asking people to telling people to not gather in groups and to social distance. Unless everyone cooperates, we may have to go to total lockdown backed by the invocation of the "Emergencies Act" which gives the federal government sweeping powers. It was previously called the "War Measures Act" and last invoked during the Québec FLQ crisis in 1970 when Canada's Prime Minister was Pierre Elliott Trudeau, the current prime minister's father.

3 hours ago, liv said:

I'm on Twitter, and you'd be amazed at the number of people still claiming it's a hoax or that the media is exaggerating things and it's not that bad. The mind boggles.

Another thing that's super disturbing is the number of people who simply don't believe the professional, accredited media anymore.

French and Spanish officials still behave in a completely irresponsible manner, while rules for vulgum pecus are becoming totally crazy in France (a friend who lives in 12m² and needs his 10km walk everyday to avoid potentially lethal problems will be deprived of it by rules announced this evening to be implemented from tomorrow morning). And still the message that masks are useless, nothing about homemade ones for prophylaxis, neither masks nor tests for people in hospitals or in contact with several people (but tests for privileged who aren't even ashamed to boast of it), already 3 MD dead, refusal to implement simple care China have found efficient (and even, an end-of-January ban of over-the-counter chloroquine, since then the maker has gone under administration), we let severe cases die... I am really furious.

Sorry, this may be a political rant, I delete it if necessary.

Perhaps we could have a separate thread for coronavirus talk? It is understandably on all of our minds and we should have a place to talk about it among friends (and in an international forum), but some of us may prefer to keep that separate from the happiness we get from chatting about Yuzuru.

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I'm on Twitter, and you'd be amazed at the number of people still claiming it's a hoax or that the media is exaggerating things and it's not that bad. The mind boggles.

Another thing that's super disturbing is the number of people who simply don't believe the professional, accredited media anymore.

They’ve been brainwashed by Trump’s claims of “fake news”.

Yes, we live in a pretty fucked up society where a lot of people are more apt to believe wild unfounded rumors started by halfwits on social media than they are unbiased professional experts and responsible accredited journalists.

8 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Dear God, I hope not. I just read that Hong Kong is now experiencing a new wave of infections brought on by Hong Kong expats returning home after some of the restrictions in the city eased, because they thought they had got through it okay and were in the clear. Now HK will be banning all non-residents as of Wednesday AND international flights will not be allowed to connect through HK. 

Meanwhile, in my city, we now have community spread and a Chief Public Health officer who thinks simply appealing to people's better nature over Facebook will be enough, when public health should be bloody going door-to-door with information packages and quarantine orders, making sure every last man, woman and child in this city knows to stay home. 

The more this goes on, the more I don't understand the hesitation of the civil authorities to impose and order measures that will ensure people's safety. It's all half-measures and recommendations and assurances that the economy will be looked after and essential trade can continue. Feh. 

Our rate just jumped up here in Australia but basically all of our neighbours closed their borders last week and so did we. Jetstar and Qantas have stopped their international flights and as of last week anyone entering Australia has to self-isolate 14 days (now if you're not PR or a citizen you can't enter at all). Obviously there was screening of every person coming in at the airports. I think most of the new cases are people returning home and with the high level of screening, there's a high number of people being diagnosed. I'm not saying this to be dismissive of how serious this is or anything - I just think it's kind of obvious that as borders close and travellers return and get screened, there's going to be a spike in cases. With everyone staying indoors and being vigilant with hand-washing etc, hopefully I am right that most of these cases are travellers returning and not cases from contact out and about in the community (although there are going to be those too). I flew home last week and was on one of those flights (it took us 3 days across 3 countries to get home as each of their borders closed - we made it into Singapore with about an hour to spare). I'm home now using my time wisely by comparing mail forwarding services so I can get Satomi's costume art book and adding all the Yuzu everything into my amazon cart along with it. 

Indonesia had a giant spike in cases too because they didn't have the means to test for it until relatively late so I think that's another thing to consider. 

Yes, the world is in a bad state at the moment and this is very scary but newspapers and online reports blaring stats and charts in bold red ink are also not being particularly ethical or informative in their reporting. There's more variables at play for the spike in rates than the virus spreading simply spreading faster and faster (not to say that it isn't a factor, just that it's not the only one). The more scared people get, the more calls there are going to be to emergency departments because people think their sniffle is going to kill them and the more panic buying that's going to occur. A friend of mine can't get her anti-seizure medication because people hoarded that. My mum has made sure she's ordered insulin in case she's unable to get more when her stocks are low (luckily she's very sensitive to insulin so a little lasts about 3-4x as long for her as most adults). 

Stay safe and be smart everyone! 

1 hour ago, liv said:

I suspect that most people would prefer to communicate easily with their carers when they are very sick.

Health insurance would also be a factor. It would make sense to want to be in the jurisdiction where you could get the costs of your care covered. 

6 hours ago, Geo1 said:

Before the near total lockdown started (on Monday last week) the people here in Belgium crossed the border to the Netherlands on the weekend before to continue *business* as usual (eg. going to cafes, shopping, gathering in large numbers, partying in one last party before the quarantine even :facepalm:....smh what do you think the figging point of the recommendation is for??? :emoticonaci2019_2:).

One week into quarantine and I think at least I'd like to think so people are getting used to it, more or less.

6 hours ago, liv said:

I would be fining everyone if I saw them out there...

In Belgium the police really fines those who break the social distancing rule — there are 108 issued just today in where I live :/

Anyhow a more light-hearted news (sorta) — en route to Antwerp a truck's cargo was found to be overload by two tons, and guess what the cargo was?? Toilet paper!

3 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

and even, an end-of-January ban of over-the-counter chloroquine

I am no health expert in any form but this is actually a correct course to take, chloroquine can only be given with doctor's prescription, there have been cases of chloroquine overdose (some in Nigeria, and when I searched for this medicine there was one over in the US as well :/ ) due to self-medication attempt. On the other hand however there has been no conclusive evidence that shows that ibuprofen worsens a coronavirus patient's condition.