Grand Prix assignments and how they work

12 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

So you think he'll lose to Nathan? 

Mehh. I really hope that's not the case.

Chances are that he will. He has never won his first GP so the odds are against him. That said, I'm glad its Nathan he is up against and not Shoma; purely for politicking reason. 

I doubt he'll lose tbh. LP is probably at least partially done, and then there's the Chopin, and we're not even in June. So as far as that goes, he's more than fine. The point of keeping program(s) is that they're more familiar and easy the handling of tech, so if it turns out both are that, losing CoR should not be an option, considering his game plan.

I know the ideal is to dominate for an entire season, but that isn't really his pattern. If he doesn't win CoR, it's not a huge concern to me. If the overall trajectory of the season is good, he doesn't need to stay undefeated. I say this to manage my anxiety and expectations. If he must falter, better to get it over with and build up from there.

• 9 months later...

I'm bringing this one back for a question. Yuzuru isn't going to participate at Worlds this season so he won't be in the Top 12 at Worlds. He is firmly, of course, in the Top 24 Season's Best. How will his assignments for GP next season work, if he does recover enough (and decides) to participate? He has one spot available due to his Top 24 SB status but for the second spot he will need a host invitation slot, correct?

2 hours ago, xeyra said:

I'm bringing this one back for a question. Yuzuru isn't going to participate at Worlds this season so he won't be in the Top 12 at Worlds. He is firmly, of course, in the Top 24 Season's Best. How will his assignments for GP next season work, if he does recover enough (and decides) to participate? He has one spot available due to his Top 24 SB status but for the second spot he will need a host invitation slot, correct?

We should get the schedule up and then start looking at speculations. Short of skate America, I think the other GPs would be happy to invite him (if nothing other than economic reasons). I'm also curious about skate canada possibilities, but my first feelings were COR might want him back. Same with IdF if Javi seriously does not compete on the GP circuit (but I'm dreading the possibility of plastic coasters and subpar ice).

To add on to this and to pose a related question, in regards to placements and how many GP assignments you get, I'm sure that the fact that Yuzu won an OGM would hold some kind of weight, right? He wasn't able to compete for a majority of the season because of injury but he came back for the Olympics and got gold. 

9 hours ago, ClarissaH said:

To add on to this and to pose a related question, in regards to placements and how many GP assignments you get, I'm sure that the fact that Yuzu won an OGM would hold some kind of weight, right? He wasn't able to compete for a majority of the season because of injury but he came back for the Olympics and got gold. 

Regarding this, @yude already posted this at the other place

I'd like to share something about GPS selection from Shirota's book (sorry in advance if this is off topic, I'll delete it if it is not appropriate).

The skaters submit their preferred two competitions to their federation. And at ISU meeting, first of all, the top 6 finishers in WC take in order a desired slot at one competition, and they do the same in the second round. Then 12 slots are filled out of 72 and 60 slots are vacant, and the skaters finished below the 7th place finally start to pick. But from here, in addition to the skaters' wish, there are various things mixed in the meeting such as strategies and intentions of each federation. Mostly, they want to send their skaters to the competitions which have less rivals, and if they host a competition, they want to invite the skaters who have popularity. Shirota gave an example of the past selection of the Japanese ladies. In 2005, Suguri and Ando could take their slots they had wished because they did well in WC, and Mao was in her first senior year but she was already popular so every country wanted to invite her. But Arakawa, Onda, Nakano's selections were difficult to adjust, Shizuka was hoping to be in SA and SC but decided to be in CoC and TEB where her rivals also participated.

It seems the announcement from ISU is published every year, so I don't know if this is how it works this year. But I personally think if Shoma wants to be in NHK (I doubt it though, he may prefer the competition in overseas), he would be selected. And then I'm not sure if Yuzuru will be in NHK with Shoma, and I'm totally fine if Yuzuru competes in other competition since perhaps every country wants him to come

But Yuzuru has to be fully healed first

14 hours ago, Xen said:

Regarding this, @yude already posted this at the other place

I thought top 3 in the world can't compete against each other in the first GP events. I think last year the top 3 were Yuzu, Javi, and Shoma and that's why other then Challenger events, they weren't on the same GP events together. It's by world ranking not by WC ranking. I thought. Maybe I'm wrong.

25 minutes ago, asiacheetah said:

I thought top 3 in the world can't compete against each other in the first GP events. I think last year the top 3 were Yuzu, Javi, and Shoma and that's why other then Challenger events, they weren't on the same GP events together. It's by world ranking not by WC ranking. I thought. Maybe I'm wrong.

Last year idF, shoma and javi compete together tho... 

Eta. And about top 3 in WC, why yuzu and daisuke competed together at NHK 2012? Yuzu was bronze and takahashi silver medalist. 

4 minutes ago, Yuazz said:

IdF is one of ISU GPS event hosted by French federation. 

Cool thanks. I'm positive that Yuzu will be invited to GP events. Now the question I most want to know is whether NHK will ask him and whether he will go to Skate Canada. NHK is right in the middle so in order for him to do NHK, he either has to start early at Skate Canada or skate late right before GPF. I know he's thirsty to get his GPF championship back.