Grand Prix assignments and how they work

The ISU doesn't assign the skaters. They get invited to the competitions by the hosting country and how many spots they get depends on the previous season results from Worlds and their rank I think. Highly ranked skaters (I can't remember exactly what this is, maybe top 12 at Worlds?) are guaranteed 2 GP spots, middle ranked skaters are guaranteed 1 spot. Each skater has a maximum of two spots and they earn points based on their placements in the GPS competitions which decide who qualifies for the GPF. Host countries can invite up to 3 of their country's skaters to compete at their competition.

Um... this is all I can think of and maybe some of it is wrong but I think it should answer your question

Assignments are also dependent on Season's Best scores. I think the Top 24 get 2 spots on the GP events, though many of these end up overlapping with the Top 12 at Worlds.

Assignments are also dependent on Season's Best scores. I think the Top 24 get 2 spots on the GP events, though many of these end up overlapping with the Top 12 at Worlds.

thanks for explaining :grin:

so if some skaters get 2 spots and some skaters only get 1, does that mean that it's much harder for the skaters with only 1 spot to get into grand prix final...? (just wondering how the system works with some skaters getting 1 spot and others getting 2 spots...)

A skater with only 1 spot has no chance to be in the final. Best he can achieve is 15 points (if he wins) and 15 is too low to qualify under basically any scenario.

Skaters guaranteed 2 spots are top-12 at Worlds for men and ladies, top-10 for pairs and dance.

Skaters guaranteed 1 spot are those with a top-24 Season Best

thanks for this informative thread Sublime! I've been thinking about the GP series and its rules for awhile but never found everything I needed to know from BS's the Edge :s_dunno

you're welcome! :grin:

i watched the grand prix series whenever i can but i only watched the competitions and the grand prix finals without know how each skater was assigned

i never really understood everything just from reading The Edge either

(i've also been wondering this for a long time, but what does "BS" stand for? does it have special meaning or is it just typo?)

oh it's what I've decided to call g*lden sk*te instead of GS lol :rofl2: sorry for the unintentional confusion! :xD:

oh it's what I've decided to call g*lden sk*te instead of GS lol :rofl2: sorry for the unintentional confusion! :xD:

haha thank you for explaining! :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

don't apologize - it's actually quite funny :grin:

I know, that's why I used it :s_wink and sticked with it even when I'm sure it'll fly over the heads of about 90% readers who weren't here in the first couple of days :rofl2:

Thanks for the information!

I understand the mechanism of how to get into GP Final, but the GP circuit itself is a bit confusing to me.

I thought they got assigned but apparently, skaters can choose. Now I understand all the talk about Yuzu not choosing CoC but would do SC, and probably not any of the europeans. I thought they don't have any choice.

Thanks again!

I understand the mechanism of how to get into GP Final, but the GP circuit itself is a bit confusing to me.

I thought they got assigned but apparently, skaters can choose. Now I understand all the talk about Yuzu not choosing CoC but would do SC, and probably not any of the europeans. I thought they don't have any choice.

Thanks again!

Skaters can't choose in strict sense.

They ( = seeded skaters) can give a preference, but it's not mandatory for Big 6 (= the 6 federations hosting GPs) to uphold that preference.

Federations have final say on picks, so while they may accomodate a skater's wish, they are not obliged to do so.

Thanks again!

Skaters can't choose in strict sense.

They ( = seeded skaters) can give a preference, but it's not mandatory for Big 6 (= the 6 federations hosting GPs) to uphold that preference.

Federations have final say on picks, so while they may accomodate a skater's wish, they are not obliged to do so.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. So, it's more like some sort of negotiation then? Skaters state their preferences, then federations state theirs, and then negotiate from there?

Ah, thanks for the clarification. So, it's more like some sort of negotiation then? Skaters state their preferences, then federations state theirs, and then negotiate from there?

Yes, only... there's no-one there for skaters who are not part of Big-6 to negotiate for them. Hosting Federations negotiate among each others mainly (so JSF may try to "protect" its skaters' wishes, and so USFSA, SC and all others... although from last year assignments, Ashley Wagner didn't seem to be too happy about what she got) ;)

So if a skater is guaranteed one spot with a top-24 SB, can he/she get 2 GPs with one host pick invitation beside the guaranteed one?

Yes :)

To have some "numbers" about how it works, [link=https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/index.php?threads/gp-2016-17-pre-announcement-thread.98437/]this[/link] is the thread on FSU for last year assignements.

I'm by no means an expert, but so far, I have learned this much:

In singles, there are 72 GP slots available (6x12).

24 of those slots go to top 12 at Worlds Championships (each gets 2). If the junior Worlds Champion decides to go senior, they also get 2 spots. The the Season's Best top 24 a and World Standing 24 get guaranteed 1 spot. Usually, that doesn't exhaust the 72 slots so the host federations are free to give a second slot to a skater who already has 1, or give a slot to an eligible skater down the list or an eligible junior-turned-senior.

And after all federations have picked their skaters, WITHDRAWALS happen so again there are free slots to give away.

I always imagine the process to go like this:

Feds sit at a table.

Japan: We're taking.... uh... Yuzuru.

China: Boyang, duh.

US: We'll be taking Nathan later on, so we don't want Yuzuru... nor Shoma... Boyang please.

Canada: Damn, Boyang's taken... Yuzuru wants SC, right, whatever. We'll take Yuzuru. He akways bombs SC anyway.

Russia: Shoma then.

France: Well, Shoma, no prob.

Canada: We're taking Patrick.

US: And we, Nathan.

Japan: Damn, Javi and Nathan will be dangerous for Yuzu... but Patrick already goes against him in Canada... Javi then. Yuzuvier sells papers.

Russia: Rostelecom's a week before SC so we won't be taking Patrick...

Japan: Hey France, wanna be nice to us and take Patrick who will be less dangerous to Shoma than Nathan?

China: Ehhh, France, perhaps you want to be nice to US, and take Nathan who will be dangerous to Boyang?

France: ennie minnie moe, we're taking Javi.

Japan and China: oh no you didn't.

China: We're friends, Russia, right?

Russia: We'll take Nathan then.

China: And we'll take Patrick!

Japan: You do realize, that WE are paying for this entire sport, right?