Last season, ACI went on pre-sale in mid-June and SCI went on pre-sale in April. If you sign up on the Skate Canada website, they’ll email you when the pre-sales happen. Not sure exactly where on the site to do that, I signed up when I started to make plans for Worlds this season which was around a year and a half ago, so it’s been a while.

Are we sure that ACI is going to be in Oakville again? I want to book my flight ASAP

Also, is the first men's practice normally on Thursday?   For some reason I thought that it was on Sat 19/Sun 20 this year when it was on Fri/Sat last year but for some reason I can't find that again.

50 minutes ago, Old Cat Lady said:

Are we sure that ACI is going to be in Oakville again? I want to book my flight ASAP

Also, is the first men's practice normally on Thursday?   For some reason I thought that it was on Sat 19/Sun 20 this year when it was on Fri/Sat last year but for some reason I can't find that again.

Well, there is a volunteer page confirming ACI to be held on Oakville again. 

But I don't know if it's advisable to plan anything ahead now given the current climate. 

On 3/15/2020 at 11:15 PM, river said:

Last season, ACI went on pre-sale in mid-June and SCI went on pre-sale in April. If you sign up on the Skate Canada website, they’ll email you when the pre-sales happen. Not sure exactly where on the site to do that, I signed up when I started to make plans for Worlds this season which was around a year and a half ago, so it’s been a while.

They usually have a link on each event's page where you can sign up for news. I signed up once for ACI '18 and now I get every single email they send - on a 12 hour delay! People here will be talking about getting an email and it'll pop up in my inbox afterwards.

On 3/17/2020 at 12:09 AM, Old Cat Lady said:

I think the one tip I learned is that flights can be booked later. 

Sept is usually a sale season for airlines. 

Flying into Toronto, there are usally many options.

So no hurry to book.

I checked my 2019 schedule : flying in early on Thursday and flying out on Sat evening or Sunday is probably fine.  For long international flights, leaving Sunday may be a better option as some international flights are only once a day.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So it's official. SCI has been cancelled due to the second wave of COVID in Ontario.

https://ottawacitizen.com/sports/other-sports/skate-canada-cancels-ottawa-grand-prix-event/wcm/66cbb43e-f9d9-43e5-8911-9e1ec9a24648/amp/

I'm beyond disappointed. This whole second wave happened due to the selfishness of certain people who chose not to mask or distance during private gatherings in my city, resulting in infection clusters. We had our infection rates down to nearly nothing right before Labour Day. We could have had this. But noooo....:emoticonaci2019_2:

Don't be a jerk. Wear your mask! 

@rockstaryuzu  I am so sorry that this year's SCI was cancelled.  I was also looking forward to visiting Ottawa (my birthplace) after so many decades of absence.  Also Montreal Worlds cancellation... :weeping:

Do you think there is any chance that SCI will reassign 2021 Grant Prix to Ottawa?  On the other hand, if they assign it to Vancouver it will be very convenient for me...

A sad but necessary step. The GP series was a foolish thing to lay on feds and skaters in the current pandemic. The risk to the careers and lives of skaters and their teams is frankly not worth it. 

Alongside pandemic fatigue, the province reinstating indoor dining & drinking, and other indoor high-risk activities like gyms (see for example the spinning superspreader event in Hamilton) was the wrong move when testing, tracing, and LTC industry were not bolstered properly while the reprieve bore fruit over the summer. Ford had to be pushed into sending out money in late August for tracing. And we’re already back at the state where long-term care needs supplemental support because workers are understandably burnt out. The local epidemiologists I’ve been following have been ringing these alarms for months.