Jump to content
WinForPooh

[2020] World Championships [Cancelled]

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, SitTwizzle said:

OT : I often think the most energy-saving ice rink would be in a hot and very sunny place with sun panels and a well-conceived energy-saving night mode, rather than in a very cold place in the winter.

 

That would be a brilliant setup!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Fay said:

don’t get me started on the UK.

Unfortunately, I live here, as do nearly all my family and friends.  The government is currently following a policy of "herd immunity" - the plan is for at least 60% of the population to get the virus (regardless of numbers of death - our vulnerable people are just numbers to the Conservative government - "the economically inactive" they call them, obviously they are dispensable as a result) and then we will acquire "herd immunity" (we are cattle you see) and then the virus will leave us alone - of course this plan has a major flaw in that herd immunity is acquired through vaccination, not through exposing 70 million people to a new virus that we still don't have full knowledge of, and no vaccine for..... can you even believe a government (all of whom are very wealthy with private medical insurance undoubtedly) would do this to its people? It's like a mass culling of older people, people with disabilities, people who have mental and physical illnesses, people who are homeless etc... Twitter has a hashtag today that's trending here #herd_immunity if you don't believe me! I truly weep for this country - where is the uproar??

EDIT: saw an estimate today that there's probably around 10000 infected people in the UK - little testing going on, schools open, still going to work, still have big sporting events eg. Cheltenham Gold Cup horse racing meet with 1000s of attendees, Atletico Madrid and Liverpool football club with travellers from stricken Spain attending.... unbelievable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Pammi said:

Unfortunately, I live here, as do nearly all my family and friends.  The government is currently following a policy of "herd immunity" - the plan is for at least 60% of the population to get the virus (regardless of numbers of death - our vulnerable people are just numbers to the Conservative government - "the economically inactive" they call them, obviously they are dispensable as a result) and then we will acquire "herd immunity" (we are cattle you see) and then the virus will leave us alone - of course this plan has a major flaw in that herd immunity is acquired through vaccination, not through exposing 70 million people to a new virus that we still don't have full knowledge of, and no vaccine for..... can you even believe a government (all of whom are very wealthy with private medical insurance undoubtedly) would do this to its people? It's like a mass culling of older people, people with disabilities, people who have mental and physical illnesses, people who are homeless etc... Twitter has a hashtag today that's trending here #herd_immunity if you don't believe me! I truly weep for this country - where is the uproar??

EDIT: saw an estimate today that there's probably around 10000 infected people in the UK - little testing going on, schools open, still going to work, still have big sporting events eg. Cheltenham Gold Cup horse racing meet with 1000s of attendees, Atletico Madrid and Liverpool football club with travellers from stricken Spain attending.... unbelievable.

I have two close friends there - he’s well over 70, while his wife is around 65. And I fear for their lives now. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Pammi said:

Unfortunately, I live here, as do nearly all my family and friends.  The government is currently following a policy of "herd immunity" - the plan is for at least 60% of the population to get the virus (regardless of numbers of death - our vulnerable people are just numbers to the Conservative government - "the economically inactive" they call them, obviously they are dispensable as a result) and then we will acquire "herd immunity" (we are cattle you see) and then the virus will leave us alone - of course this plan has a major flaw in that herd immunity is acquired through vaccination, not through exposing 70 million people to a new virus that we still don't have full knowledge of, and no vaccine for..... can you even believe a government (all of whom are very wealthy with private medical insurance undoubtedly) would do this to its people? It's like a mass culling of older people, people with disabilities, people who have mental and physical illnesses, people who are homeless etc... Twitter has a hashtag today that's trending here #herd_immunity if you don't believe me! I truly weep for this country - where is the uproar??

EDIT: saw an estimate today that there's probably around 10000 infected people in the UK - little testing going on, schools open, still going to work, still have big sporting events eg. Cheltenham Gold Cup horse racing meet with 1000s of attendees, Atletico Madrid and Liverpool football club with travellers from stricken Spain attending.... unbelievable.

That's a crazy gamble to take with everyone's lives. Also, does your government really think the rest of the world is going to accept this? Prepare for British travellers to be barred from everywhere else. :ninja:

 

You have my sympathies, this has got to be so stressful.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Fay said:

have two close friends there

The WHO is now questioning the UK Govt's "strategy"  - hopefully if enough external pressure is put on the Govt it may change it's view - pleeeease!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

That's a crazy gamble to take with everyone's lives.

Surely it's illegal?? Some people here are calling it murder … of course the govt says it has things in place to make sure ill people are cared for, but we all know our National Health Service has been starved of resources for 10 years through the Govt's austerity policies, it's been pared down to the bone, it cant cope even with normal demand... EU and other nationalities health care workers have left as they do not feel welcome here due to Brexit and xenophobia and the re-emergence of overt racism, so yes, I am scared for all of our most vulnerable people - I know many! My 87 yr old mum, my mentally ill brother, my daughter with asthma (though she's young, which seems to be a protective factor against COVID-19) to name but a few.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pammi said:

Unfortunately, I live here, as do nearly all my family and friends.  The government is currently following a policy of "herd immunity" - the plan is for at least 60% of the population to get the virus (regardless of numbers of death - our vulnerable people are just numbers to the Conservative government - "the economically inactive" they call them, obviously they are dispensable as a result) and then we will acquire "herd immunity" (we are cattle you see) and then the virus will leave us alone - of course this plan has a major flaw in that herd immunity is acquired through vaccination, not through exposing 70 million people to a new virus that we still don't have full knowledge of, and no vaccine for..... can you even believe a government (all of whom are very wealthy with private medical insurance undoubtedly) would do this to its people? It's like a mass culling of older people, people with disabilities, people who have mental and physical illnesses, people who are homeless etc... Twitter has a hashtag today that's trending here #herd_immunity if you don't believe me! I truly weep for this country - where is the uproar??

EDIT: saw an estimate today that there's probably around 10000 infected people in the UK - little testing going on, schools open, still going to work, still have big sporting events eg. Cheltenham Gold Cup horse racing meet with 1000s of attendees, Atletico Madrid and Liverpool football club with travellers from stricken Spain attending.... unbelievable.


Are you kidding? That’s unbelievable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I can say is, I hope they rethink and perhaps other countries closing their borders to British travellers will help pressure your government. 

 

I'm so sorry you have to go through that. :grouphug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, river said:


Are you kidding? That’s unbelievable.

I wish. My friends are writing to me about the same experience, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I'm so sorry you have to go through that. :grouphug:

Thank you, and everyone, for your concern.  I actually feel a bit better having told people outside of these borders...it's confirmed to me that it's not just me who is agog at this dangerous "experiment". No other country at all is taking this approach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Pammi said:

Thank you, and everyone, for your concern.  I actually feel a bit better having told people outside of these borders...it's confirmed to me that it's not just me who is agog at this dangerous "experiment". No other country at all is taking this approach.

Wish I could just take all decent people away from that horror. Wish the horror wasn’t here at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Pammi said:

Thank you, and everyone, for your concern.  I actually feel a bit better having told people outside of these borders...it's confirmed to me that it's not just me who is agog at this dangerous "experiment". No other country at all is taking this approach.

It's at the very least anachronistic. There was a time (back in the 1930s,  before vaccination was really a thing) when this was more or less the only approach medicine had to dealing with contagion. That doesn't mean its a good idea in the modern world where diseases can fly around the world in 24 hours by plane. 

 

And to try it with a disease like coronavirus that's been proven lethal in certain populations... it's as good as admitting 

that your country is irrevocably broken and can't meet the needs of its citizens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately that mentality is rooted in British culture, since sooo long. It is not the place for history and politics but I am under the impression, compared to France, that England (later Scotland when they "fully integrated", with the famous Clearances, not to speak of Ireland) had a genocide of its people, which stopped as a genocide (for England) only with the effective arrival of the Hanover dynasty, without really removing a cause of it, despising the poor (the pretext being, they were uneducated and didn't have fine manners). In France we had orders with their duties and privileges to prevent one class to take over everything and exterminate the others, imperfect as it was. In Germany more or less too. And NHS have undergone decades of degradation. And "improving efficiency" recently meant more recruiting high pay executives and suppressing MDs and nurses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, SitTwizzle said:

And NHS have undergone decades of degradation. And "improving efficiency" recently meant more recruiting high pay executives and suppressing MDs and nurses.

I understand there are approx 43,000 nursing vacancies in the NHS (England) currently.....and recruitment of student nurses  (and teachers, and social workers, in fact across the public sector) is down.  Not surprising when we hear about and see the level of underfunding and the stress faced by those who work in these services.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And when you think MD and nurses in UK are still paid roughly twice what they are paid in France... (less than twice for older MD or new nurses though) In both countries, with appalling working conditions, yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...