2020/2021 Season Program Announcements

On 3/14/2020 at 11:46 AM, rubyblue said:

Roman Sadovsky's new SP will be choreographed by David Wilson. 

No info about music and any details so far, but some fun snippets from how it looks like to start preparing for the new season:

I love your vlogs Roman .... but David Wilson was def the star of this vid! I was howling, I love him!

Liza about new program:

This is a Japanese program, the music was written specifically for Yura Smekalov (choreographer), it happened online, the composer was Bhima Yunusov. This is Kabuki-themed music. We want to show the woman who created this theater.

Initially, a woman created the Kabuki Theater, but then over time, the Japanese government forbade women to perform in this theater, only men performed. We wanted to show the feminine side of this dance.

In addition to this, we tried to create hieroglyphs with hands and body so that all the Japan thene were in one dance. It was insanely interesting and cool. I really liked it.

I think we will continue this project. When quarantine ends, we will go on the ice, they will come and shoot how it all looks on the ice. This is in the plans, but when it will be possible to implement it, we do not know.

https://fs-gossips.com/elizaveta-tuktamysheva-we-want-to-show-the-woman-who-created-kabuki-theater/

On 4/21/2020 at 5:45 AM, SitTwizzle said:

Fine! Though "but then over time, the Japanese government forbade women to perform in this theater" is a bit of a leap, isn't it?

6 hours ago, Katt said:

I don't have good feeling for this :slinkaway:

Kabuki was started by Izumo-no-Okuni, a woman lived in 16th c and performed sacred dances as a miko (shinto priestess). Her performances in Kyoto became famous because of her flamboyant and sensual style - and eventually led to the founding of Kabuki.  Centuries later - Kabuki had become so popular and unruly - especially in the metropolis of Edo (later Tokyo) - that the stodgy male-dominated Tokugawa Shogunate decided to forbid women actors from performing - thinking (wrongly) that this would bring Kabuki to heel.  With all-male cast, beautiful male actors gained fame as "onna-gata" woman actors.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Izumo_no_Okuni

Perhaps Kabuki became less explicit in its sexual innuendo, but it has continued to retain its subversive nature through the ages.   I really think this narrative fits well with Liza's rebellious character, and I am so pleased to know that she is aware of some of Kabuki's historical background. I wish her well in creating her own story through this piece of music!

On Kabuki :offtopic2:

My grandfather used to hold "season" tickets, which meant having a private "masu" = "square" (there were no seats in the theatre, only a private square area for your zabuton mat) at Kabukiza.  I grew up being regaled by the names of famous actors and performances, and whenever we were back in Japan my mother took me to Kabuki performances. I grew up loving Kabuki and living overseas it's one of the things I miss - going for live performances in the grand Kabukiza as well as in the more modest Asakusa theatre (the old downtown from Edo era).   Kabuki had lost some of its popularity after the war, but with the rise of a whole new generation of Kabuki actors with fresh, creative ideas we are seeing its resurgence in recent years.  Hyo-en with Daisuke Takahashi is an example of the willingness of the current generation of Kabuki actors to reach out and try different forms of artistic medium.     

12 hours ago, Umebachi said:

Kabuki was started by Izumo-no-Okuni, a woman lived in 16th c and performed sacred dances as a miko (shinto priestess). Her performances in Kyoto became famous because of her flamboyant and sensual style - and eventually led to the founding of Kabuki.  Centuries later - Kabuki had become so popular and unruly - especially in the metropolis of Edo (later Tokyo) - that the stodgy male-dominated Tokugawa Shogunate decided to forbid women actors from performing - thinking (wrongly) that this would bring Kabuki to heel.  With all-male cast, beautiful male actors gained fame as "onna-gata" woman actors.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Izumo_no_Okuni

Perhaps Kabuki became less explicit in its sexual innuendo, but it has continued to retain its subversive nature through the ages.   I really think this narrative fits well with Liza's rebellious character, and I am so pleased to know that she is aware of some of Kabuki's historical background. I wish her well in creating her own story through this piece of music!

On Kabuki :offtopic2:

My grandfather used to hold "season" tickets, which meant having a private "masu" = "square" (there were no seats in the theatre, only a private square area for your zabuton mat) at Kabukiza.  I grew up being regaled by the names of famous actors and performances, and whenever we were back in Japan my mother took me to Kabuki performances. I grew up loving Kabuki and living overseas it's one of the things I miss - going for live performances in the grand Kabukiza as well as in the more modest Asakusa theatre (the old downtown from Edo era).   Kabuki had lost some of its popularity after the war, but with the rise of a whole new generation of Kabuki actors with fresh, creative ideas we are seeing its resurgence in recent years.  Hyo-en with Daisuke Takahashi is an example of the willingness of the current generation of Kabuki actors to reach out and try different forms of artistic medium.     

even here there has been a long period of time were women were if not forbid,definetly frown upon if acting(actress were almost equal to prostitute),a way of thinking that stayed very well rooted on our culture until the late 60's/eraly 70's regarding for example  women working on tv.

thank you @Umebachi that was very interesting....and yep good luck to Liza!!