Poll - What professions do Planet Hanyu members work/study in?

sublimeskating

What field(s) do you study/work in?  

355 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As I've posted elsewhere here, I'm alone in my sporting likes- if it doesn't happen in a muddy field with a ball my family aren't interested - football and rugby all the time in this house.  I have no friends who are interested hence the internet presence.

i actually think my husband may be allergic to the starch the laundry uses- his neck gets sore and a bit inflamed which disappears if he has a few days off.  Here the wing collars are starched to the consistency of cardboard by professionals and we just iron the ordinary collar at home at the same time as the shirt.

9 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

As I've posted elsewhere here, I'm alone in my sporting likes- if it doesn't happen in a muddy field with a ball my family aren't interested - football and rugby all the time in this house.  I have no friends who are interested hence the internet presence.

i actually think my husband may be allergic to the starch the laundry uses- his neck gets sore and a bit inflamed which disappears if he has a few days off.  Here the wing collars are starched to the consistency of cardboard by professionals and we just iron the ordinary collar at home at the same time as the shirt.

Now that you mention it, I do recall your other post regarding your football (soccer to us) and rugby loving family.

Although my wife also likes Yuzu, I get the feeling that she is secretly concerned about the amount of time that I spend on Yuzuru Hanyu related matters! I have a 2 TB disk capacity in my laptop and about 1.5 TB is taken up by videos, pictures, and news articles relating to Yuzuru Hanyu. It is nice to have a place to meet others similarly possessed by Yuzu!

So, you are a solicitor and your husband is a barrister. Probably a lot more harmonious than two barristers being married!

In the UK, I gather that it's still the case that lawyers are either barristers or solicitors. In Canada, all lawyers are both barristers and solicitors upon being called to the bar and admitted as solicitors. Although legally/technically lawyers here are both barristers and solicitors, in practice, most of us specialize by being one or the other. We specialize further by narrowing the area in which we practice. Since we are all barristers and solicitors, there is no restriction regarding client contact. It is my understanding that in the UK barristers are barred from soliciting clients and that this is done by the solicitors.

37 minutes ago, Geo1 said:

Now that you mention it, I do recall your other post regarding your football (soccer to us) and rugby loving family.

Although my wife also likes Yuzu, I get the feeling that she is secretly concerned about the amount of time that I spend on Yuzuru Hanyu related matters! I have a 2 TB disk capacity in my laptop and about 1.5 TB is taken up by videos, pictures, and news articles relating to Yuzuru Hanyu. It is nice to have a place to meet others similarly possessed by Yuzu!

So, you are a solicitor and your husband is a barrister. Probably a lot more harmonious than two barristers being married!

In the UK, I gather that it's still the case that lawyers are either barristers or solicitors. In Canada, all lawyers are both barristers and solicitors upon being called to the bar and admitted as solicitors. Although legally/technically lawyers here are both barristers and solicitors, in practice, most of us specialize by being one or the other. We specialize further by narrowing the area in which we practice. Since we are all barristers and solicitors, there is no restriction regarding client contact. It is my understanding that in the UK barristers are barred from soliciting clients and that this is done by the solicitors.

That's correct- though there are suggestions that it might open up a bit. We operate in entirely different fields - he does criminal cases and I do wills, trusts and probate, which is a good thing I think.

The family doesn't really understand and getting to watch fs in the U.K.  is really quite difficult.  Eurosport and YouTube are a godsend.  Totally sympathise with your annoyance expressed on another thread re the BBC and Robin Cousins lack of basic research when commentating on WC - they broadcast one competition a year and can't do their homework on the world no. 1?  The woman working with him was a complete waste of air time.

On 5/10/2017 at 20:53, Geo1 said:

I am a third-generation Japanese-Canadian male civil litigator and trial lawyer, now r****d after over 36 years of practice in Vancouver, Canada.

For those of you not familiar with the legal system in Canada, it is based on the British system (except for the Civil Code of the Province of Québec which is based on the French Napoleonic Code).

Unlike the United States where lawyers wear business suits to court, in Canada, lawyers appearing for trial in the provincial supreme court or on appeal in the provincial appellate court or Supreme Court of Canada are required to wear winged collared white shirts, tabs, waistcoats, dark grey striped barrister's trousers, and black court gowns. The only difference from the British system is that we do not wear wigs. (Thank God!) Lawyers in Canada are dressed more elaborately than the Justices on the US Supreme Court!

This is what the court attire looks like:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/70/ac/bb/70acbb3538da3f99369913a6480191c9.png

I have always liked the idea of lawyers wearing court attire because it makes the entire court process more dignified. Furthermore, since the lawyers are wearing the same court attire, it equals the playing field between opposing counsel. If they were not wearing similar court attire, one lawyer might get an unfair advantage by being better dressed and looking more successful than his less affluent, poorly dressed opponent.

I specified male at the outset since I think people here assume that you are female in this forum unless otherwise stated.

Yay, another male!  

Yes, someone please do a demographic poll with gender and age!

2 hours ago, MaxSWAGG said:

Yay, another male!  

Yes, someone please do a demographic poll with gender and age!

Oh, sorry, Max, hope you don't feel threatened among us gilrs here!

@MaxSWAGG Feel free to make one- I'd love to see if we have more than two male members!!

---

Hey guys since this thread isn't strictly about Yuzu it's going to be moved to Space Junk (prev. Other Stuff). 

There's going to be a temporary link left in this spot so you won't have trouble finding this thread for the time being :pbow:

7 hours ago, liha said:

@MaxSWAGG Feel free to make one- I'd love to see if we have more than two male members!!

---

Hey guys since this thread isn't strictly about Yuzu it's going to be moved to Space Junk (prev. Other Stuff). 

There's going to be a temporary link left in this spot so you won't have trouble finding this thread for the time being :pbow:

I was going to start one but it won't let me add more than one question/four choices, which is not enough since we would need a question for gender (with two answer choices) and age (with several age-group answer choices).

Just now, MaxSWAGG said:

I was going to start one but it won't let me add more than one question/four choices, which is not enough since we would need a question for gender and several age groups.

Try again, I just changed the Poll settings... 10 questions should be enough right?

:space:

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Joshua said:

Engineering here. Yuzuru said that before he start his program he usually draw a cross sign. He said that this could help him to balance himself during the performance. That interests me a lot. 

Not sure if you've already seen this but he explained in a little bit more detail in this subbed video:

• 1 month later...

Chemical Engineering although in all honesty I haven't done much real engineering in a number of years; now more in the business development realm within oil and gas industry. I used to watch figure skating religiously while growing up (Canadian by the way) but stopped for a while when the greats that I grew up retired. The Olympic FS events drew me back again and I'm a huge Hanyu fan (although I did not always watch the competitions, I followed his career a bit around 2013 when his rivalry with Patrick Chan was heating up) and he's developed into the just the almost beautifully artistic and technically proficient skater. He is the ideal for the perfect blend of technical prowess and artistry in my opinion. Hope that he sticks around for a few more years or better yet for Beijing but we'll have to see... 

• 5 weeks later...