Poll - What professions do Planet Hanyu members work/study in?

sublimeskating

What field(s) do you study/work in?  

355 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm currently an undergraduate history major (freshman, so there's room for change). I work as a camp counselor all summer. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my life, but part of me wants to be a high school history teacher.

Hej~ jag är en svenska studerande också! :space: (is that correct? i've been focusing on japanese lately...)

Det är en ära att prata med dig, Hydroblade :space: (with my little (little, little...) knowledge, I think it's correct :goe: )

I love the diversity of Yuzuru's fandom *o* !!!

I'm in my 4th year in Medical school (just finished an exam :hachimaki: ) and I'm willing (dreaming) of doing radiology for my speciality.

I speak arabic, french and english and I'm trying to learn swidish by my own (my biggest dream is to work there), if I say it loud, I would laugh at myself because of my naivety, but like we say hope makes you alive :space:

I think if your dream is to work there you shouldn't laugh at yourself - just go for it! :s_wink (I say it as someone who did that - only I moved to Norway, not to Sweden) With a medical degree it's pretty easy to move abroad if you learn tha language! And to study swedish (like norwegian and danish) is pretty rewarding in a kind of take one get the other two free, because you can sort of understand all of them :grin: Good luch with you studies! :space:

On 10/05/2017 at 00:27, Puniyo said:

In my case it's more about language manipulation by people with mental traumas and physical disabilities (like resulting from accidents). I'm too ambitious, I know :rofl2:

Cantonese is such a tough language... even if I grew up speaking it, I still make silly mistakes all the time.

Oooh neurolinguistics and psycholinguistics then?

OMG same. I have difficulties with the pronunciation and it doesnt help that I am not in a suitable environment. And my parents don't really pronounce things clearly either so there's that.../facepalm/

On 7.5.2017 at 13:08, Joey said:

Interesting poll! :s_yes

I originally studied a mixture of Biotechnology & Math, but when I started my PhD studies last year I changed to "plain old" Microbiology because I really wanted to get into Cancer Research, and that was the best entry point I had (and as much as I love math, it does get boring IMO to be programing all the time... I studied math for 2 years before changing, but I just can't sit in front of a PC all the time :laugh: ). So I'm not seeing many numbers, codes or equations anymore, but a lot of cells, bacteria and chemicals. I'm happy with it though :pbow:

It's great to see so many members who are in the humanities & language profession... that's areas I'm just not as talented for as I'd want to be :sadPooh:

On 9.5.2017 at 22:32, hwestanna said:

I have a master degree in pharmacy :space:

I tried working in drug research and development for a while, but I gave that up pretty quickly. Now I'm working at a pharmacy, and it's nice to actually see, not just to know that you're helping people everyday! I really like languages too, like so many fans here. I'm speaking hungarian, english and norwegian fluently (and I understand a little bit of german) but I would love to start up my japanese studies again, that language is :love:

I'm in my 2nd semester of biotechnology right now hoping to go into drug development / pharmacy later on as well (I'm especially interested in sustainable antibiotics but who knows)
So cool to see all the STEM people here :party0012: somehow I did not expect there to be so many of us here

Just now, the50person said:

Oooh neurolinguistics and psycholinguistics then?

OMG same. I have difficulties with the pronunciation and it doesnt help that I am not in a suitable environment. And my parents don't really pronounce things clearly either so there's that.../facepalm/

Yes something between the two. I really want  neurolinguistics though, because I have always wanted some career related to medicine but my financial situation never allowed me to pursue this dream. 

Cantonese is fun but my friends are always correcting my words. My mom has her own chinese dialect too so it doesn't help much as well... LOL

1 minute ago, Puniyo said:

Yes something between the two. I really want  neurolinguistics though, because I have always wanted some career related to medicine but my financial situation never allowed me to pursue this dream. 

Cantonese is fun but my friends are always correcting my words. My mom has her own chinese dialect too so it doesn't help much as well... LOL

Ah, the expenses of education..;.:yznotimpressed:

The thing about Cantonese is that its pronunciation evolves really quickly. Just within 3 generations of my family and each gen pronounces things in a markedly different manner and accent. I can barely understand my grandma, and my cousins speak differently from me cos my input is all from my parents. :P And apparently there's a shift in pronunciation where people are unable to distinguish certain phoneme pairs (it's a myth that the shift is recent, it's not cos actually my parents can't either so I have certain pronunciations which I have qns about but they give a definite answer, they just go 'oh it's just an approximate pronunciation between n and l and then I just cry LOL) so they merge and drop the difference. This results in what my father snobbishly calls 懒音 (when he actually has it oh the IRONY) and it's still very much in the transition stage so there are people who distinguish (e.g. those who teach/do radio) and those who don't and it's a mess. 

1 hour ago, the50person said:

The thing about Cantonese is that its pronunciation evolves really quickly. Just within 3 generations of my family and each gen pronounces things in a markedly different manner and accent. I can barely understand my grandma, and my cousins speak differently from me cos my input is all from my parents. :P And apparently there's a shift in pronunciation where people are unable to distinguish certain phoneme pairs (it's a myth that the shift is recent, it's not cos actually my parents can't either so I have certain pronunciations which I have qns about but they give a definite answer, they just go 'oh it's just an approximate pronunciation between n and l and then I just cry LOL) so they merge and drop the difference. This results in what my father snobbishly calls 懒音 (when he actually has it oh the IRONY) and it's still very much in the transition stage so there are people who distinguish (e.g. those who teach/do radio) and those who don't and it's a mess. 

Most of my Cantonese input since childhood came from my mother and only recently I came back to a place where this is the official language so kind of found my speech and certain pronunciations quite different and strange (again, my friends say it's because of the regional dialect). I've heard about 懒音 before in college but since my major does not concern Cantonese, I never got into much detail. 

Long story short, it's amazing how languages evolve in such a short period of time! That's already very fascinating for me ^^

18 minutes ago, Puniyo said:

Most of my Cantonese input since childhood came from my mother and only recently I came back to a place where this is the official language so kind of found my speech and certain pronunciations quite different and strange (again, my friends say it's because of the regional dialect). I've heard about 懒音 before in college but since my major does not concern Cantonese, I never got into much detail. 

Long story short, it's amazing how languages evolve in such a short period of time! That's already very fascinating for me ^^

Yeah, being away from a community that speaks the language really does affect one's skill in that language. I don't think linguistics really sees it as 懒音 cos that's a really prescriptivist view that implies a certain manner of pronunciation is superior, rather, the perspective taken (at least in the context of Cantonese that we are discussing) is that of a shift and a loss of differentiation between phoneme pairs and where two (or more) speech sounds are no longer contrastive in nature i.e. one or the other can be used depending on the user's preferences.

Right! It makes it all the more entertaining to track and to realise that we are all witnessing it as it happens!

Another lawyer, not thankfully a barrister, so no wig or stiff collar for me! Geo1 you have my sympathy over those collars- my husband is at the bar and they are the bane of his existence- worse than the wig actually!

On 5/13/2017 at 15:21, spreadingsmiles15 said:

I feel so small here.. I am still in grade 11

Is there anyone who's trying to learn Japanese on their own just to understand all the Yuzu content that is available only in Japanese?

Hi! Yep, self-studying Japanese during my spare time. Not the easiest to do since kanji just beats the hell out of me :xD: but I try to keep Yuzu as inspiration--that if I work hard I'll eventually be able to do it!

13 hours ago, Sombreuil said:

Another lawyer, not thankfully a barrister, so no wig or stiff collar for me! Geo1 you have my sympathy over those collars- my husband is at the bar and they are the bane of his existence- worse than the wig actually!

I actually didn't mind wearing the stiff collars and court attire. I found the court shirts to be no worse than wearing dress shirts and ties with a suit. Maybe I am a masochist!

Are you the only Yuzu fan in your family or is your husband also a fan?