Poll - What professions do Planet Hanyu members work/study in?

sublimeskating

What field(s) do you study/work in?  

355 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I came to believe it's not always just about affinity and talents

True. I remember hating Portuguese literature and grammar when I was in high school (my native languages are Portuguese and Cantonese but I always got better marks at English and my homeroom teacher would complain to my parents all the time), but I ended up choosing Literature and Linguistics in college :rofl2:

The most important is to choose something one likes and is comfortable doing for their career in my opinion. With passion and perseverance, things always work out.

I came to believe it's not always just about affinity and talents

True. I remember hating Portuguese literature and grammar when I was in high school (my native languages are Portuguese and Cantonese but I always got better marks at English and my homeroom teacher would complain to my parents all the time), but I ended up choosing Literature and Linguistics in college :rofl2:

The most important is to choose something one likes and is comfortable doing for their career in my opinion. With passion and perseverance, things always work out.

:rofl2:

If I went by my performance back in school I would have been good for nothing- when I told my math teacher back then of my plans he just raised his brows and said "oh really?"

What about those of us who are old enough to have had several careers?

Longest career was research lab head/ professor. Then stay at home mother, then Biotech/Pharmaceutical. I now work on getting cancer drugs approved which didn't fall into any of the categories. Was Biology major, PhD Genetics.

I was very very fortunate to be able to pursue what I loved and have always been passionate about my work.

I hope I will be able to say the same one day :pbow:

Wow, it's great to see so many people passionate about their work/studies. Wish I could say the same about myself but alas, my chosen field veers more toward the humanity side but could be really boring at times :butt:

Interesting poll! :s_yes

I originally studied a mixture of Biotechnology & Math, but when I started my PhD studies last year I changed to "plain old" Microbiology because I really wanted to get into Cancer Research, and that was the best entry point I had (and as much as I love math, it does get boring IMO to be programing all the time... I studied math for 2 years before changing, but I just can't sit in front of a PC all the time :laugh: ). So I'm not seeing many numbers, codes or equations anymore, but a lot of cells, bacteria and chemicals. I'm happy with it though :pbow:

It's great to see so many members who are in the humanities & language profession... that's areas I'm just not as talented for as I'd want to be :sadPooh:

Interesting poll! :s_yes

I originally studied a mixture of Biotechnology & Math, but when I started my PhD studies last year I changed to "plain old" Microbiology because I really wanted to get into Cancer Research, and that was the best entry point I had (and as much as I love math, it does get boring IMO to be programing all the time... I studied math for 2 years before changing, but I just can't sit in front of a PC all the time :laugh: ). So I'm not seeing many numbers, codes or equations anymore, but a lot of cells, bacteria and chemicals. I'm happy with it though :pbow:

It's great to see so many members who are in the humanities & language profession... that's areas I'm just not as talented for as I'd want to be :sadPooh:

Lol pls don't feel bad about your 'lack of talent', it makes ME feel bad :rofl2: Your work sounds very interesting and worth spending time on but I just don't have the knack for it, as much as I like reading about some of the results :cry: (that I could actually understand lmaoo)

You can see how different we are. It's fascinating that Yuzuru connects so many different people. I also hope that each of the inhabitants of the planet Hanyu will vote in the poll, because now there are still few votes. A great idea with the survey!

I advise young people to choose their future profession and the direction of further education. :space:

Lol pls don't feel bad about your 'lack of talent', it makes ME feel bad :rofl2: Your work sounds very interesting and worth spending time on but I just don't have the knack for it, as much as I like reading about some of the results :cry: (that I could actually understand lmaoo)

I'm sorry? :rofl2: I mean, everyone has their own talents and nobody can be great at everything, but I'm just being greedy and I envy the people who can speak more than 2 languages ^^

I'm sorry? :rofl2: I mean, everyone has their own talents and nobody can be great at everything, but I'm just being greedy and I envy the people who can speak more than 2 languages ^^

same :cry: i've made such slow progress with japanese, it's been years and I still never have the time to regularly sit down and learn it :cry: I really have mad respect for people who do (like Hydro). She's already 80% there with japanese and her English is perfect now :bow: and neither of those are her mother tongue :bow:

*crawls into a ball and cries*

same :cry: i've made such slow progress with japanese, it's been years and I still never have the time to regularly sit down and learn it :cry: I really have mad respect for people who do (like Hydro). She's already 80% there with japanese and her English is perfect now :bow: and neither of those are her mother tongue :bow:

*sigh* i feel envy for people who can speak many languages too! i love to learn languages but it's veeeeery sloooooow progress for me! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Yes, Japanese is like my number one goal too, but it's sooooo hard (and i have no time, and no stamina, and no patience :rofl2: ). But there are so many other interesting languages, one life wouldn't be enough!

*sigh* i feel envy for people who can speak many languages too! i love to learn languages but it's veeeeery sloooooow progress for me! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Yes, Japanese is like my number one goal too, but it's sooooo hard (and i have no time, and no stamina, and no patience :rofl2: ). But there are so many other interesting languages, one life wouldn't be enough!

Even though I study economics and marketing right now I did humanities, mathematics and languages before and I have un undying passion for foreign languages :love: I feel I will never have the time to learn everything I want to >< I am already jugling with Russian and Japanese right know and I am waiting to have a bit ma mastery of those before tackling somehting else like Arabic or Korean since I already have French, English and basic Spanish understanding (it helps that it very close to french most of the times)

I was a middle-to-high school teacher for some years (teaching Math, so was among the most hated teachers back then :grin: ), but it was too exhausting. So, I changed a bit. Now I am studying applied mathematics. Specifically, multiscale modelling and simulations. Basically lots and lots of numerical programming. I am dying for the amount of work I have to tackle, and my glasses subscription got worse very fast.

I so envy people who understand literature and seem to have sponge-like absorption of languages aptitude (is that even how you say it? How do you English?). How do you do that???!

Even though I study economics and marketing right now I did humanities, mathematics and languages before and I have un undying passion for foreign languages :love: I feel I will never have the time to learn everything I want to >< I am already jugling with Russian and Japanese right know and I am waiting to have a bit ma mastery of those before tackling somehting else like Arabic or Korean since I already have French, English and basic Spanish understanding (it helps that it very close to french most of the times)

omg it is officially time for me to contemplate my life choices rn :cry: :rofl2:

and good luck with arabic, Kagme. I read that it's in the top 5 most difficult-to-learn languages :bow: (just looking at its alphabet and my patience has already deflated) :rofl2:

omg it is officially time for me to contemplate my life choices rn :cry: :rofl2:

and good luck with arabic, Kagme. I read that it's in the top 5 most difficult-to-learn languages :bow: (just looking at its alphabet and my patience has already deflated) :rofl2:

Well I am still stuying and pretty much dedicate my life to it (when I am not watchin Yuzuru's program for the umpteenth time) because my class are very easy right know, so I don't have that much credit

Yeah I saw it was among the most difficult to learn but well, I am not one to back off in front of a challenge, and there is a certain form of elation in learning a new alphabet, just being able to read something in a different alphabet, even if don't really understand feels like a game, or cracking a code :yay:

EDIT : and since at a time most of the Russian aristocraty spoke French there are a lot of words that resemble french and I can understand more easily. As for Japanese, well there are only a certain amount of animes you can watch before begnining to unerstand the language and pick up some thing, so it made easier too