Poll - What professions do Planet Hanyu members work/study in?

sublimeskating

What field(s) do you study/work in?  

355 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I just got an internship as an HVAC technician.  I was so excited when I saw that the branch I worked in had a bunch of native Japanese people because I thought I might finally find a real life someone who shares my Hanyu love.  But turns out they work in a completely different part of the building.  It keeps crossing my mind to meander over there and ask if anyone is interested in figure skating.  They did say to come visit but pretty sure I would look like a freak if I wandered into the office area looking for other Hanyu fans.

Any chance that someone here works at Daikin :biggrin:

• 2 months later...

I remember seeing this thread before, but not posting, because I wasn't sure what to say lol

I have a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science and a Master's Degree in Databases, but I've never worked in IT. The level of preparation I got in University did not give me the confidence to seriously hunt for jobs and actually, although I did and still do enjoy programming, University was a huge disappointment (with a lot more theoretical classes than practical ones; all my classmates that ended up working in IT learned their stuff by working, not studying in classrooms). But in the end, I also didn't see myself doing programming full time.

Instead, for the past four years, I've been working at a small company that distributes medical equipment. My official title is Product Manager, but truth is I do a little bit of everything. The company is small - there's less than 20 of us in total, including IT maintenance and accounting, which are actually separate companies - and my bosses are actually colleagues of my father's, so there's very much a family feeling. But it also means everyone needs to be flexible and we have to help each other when there's much to do. The company has been growing very well and quite fast, which is great. I'm actually very attached to it, emotionally, too, so I really enjoy doing what I can to help it grow and help us be as organized as possible. Of course, things aren't always great and the second half of last year was a nightmare, but I really wouldn't willingly go work anywhere else. It's also really interesting learning about medical equipment! I never in my life thought I'd ever know as much as I do about sterilizers, electrosurgery units, surgery tables and so on lol. However, I am currently using some of my programming knowledge to try to create some apps to handle various activities, for us and for hospitals... I'm still lacking confidence, but I do enjoy the challenge, so it's a bit of a weird mix lol

As for languages, I've been learning English since I was 6 years old and especially throughout high school I received private tutoring and my English improved exponentially then. English skills also come in very handy at work, because there's a lot of translating to be done, and I'm also in charge of maintaining communication with our suppliers, who come from all over the world. I also learned French in school, for 10 years, but I never got into it, so it's pretty bad. I learned a bit of Italian and Spanish from watching TV (Sailor Moon on Italian TV and some latin american soap operas lol) and listening to music, but never studied it properly, so my grammar is purely instinctual and vocabulary very limited. I have been studying Japanese for the past 5 years... I still have a lot of trouble with kanji, vocabulary and, more recently, motivation lol I am fairly ok with speaking, though (hence I gave a few interviews when I was at the parade in April... never thought I would, as I am a terrible public speaker, but it's super satisfying, actually... feels like a personal victory!)

• 1 month later...

Ah, I see my 3 love here which is Design (specifically Graphic Design), which leads to Engineering, and Psychology but didn't get to choose them. Apparantly faith didn't support me with these fields (and neither do my parents lol) so I ended up in a more mainstream course which is B.Com. Not that I hate it, but it's a looooong way from what I like and my passion. But well, that's life.:Poohgaveup:

I'm currently a junior in college and studying biochemistry! I'm hoping to work towards my master's and PhD after I graduate and go into research regarding medication for mental illness or autoimmune disorders. The only job I have right now is work as a teaching assistant for organic chemistry but I'll be going for internships over the summer next year. It's hard work right now (why three science courses and labs this is too much) but it'll definitely pay off later on!!

• 4 weeks later...

I studied Biology at uni, finished all classes and the social service and whatnot...but never got the degree because I've had the worst luck with the thesis :13877886::tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw::14066882:tried 5 different topics in different labs and all of the projects stopped (mainly due to financial reasons) before I could finish the research, never even got to write anything :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:. I'm still considering pushing for the degree, but this was almost 8 years ago so it's not top priority...

During that time my family got into financial trouble and I had to look for a job, started singing at weddings and events, ended up in sales for a long time, then became an interpreter, then an english teacher, then a blog writer for an inbound marketing company, worked a gazillion call centers...

For the past 3 years though my boyfriend and I started a photography studio, we've done some cool stuff with some magazines (mostly online though :( ) and are still trying to get big and steady clients...(it's now a dream of mine to practice sports photography and get a job following Yuzu around :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:)

And also during that time I started assisting a makeup artist and I'm starting to do makeup and hair for some photoshoots and videos, but for the big jobs I'm still an assistant...

• 4 years later...