In figure skating, a radical proposal to reshape the sport (NBC Sport article)

Fay

:ohno:

I am skeptical that the proposed change would really bring the change the way those people intended it to be not that I wasn't already skeptical, but reading more on the details of the program change doesn't convince me at all...

I agree with other commenters that this only shows that they don't quite grasp why the current judging system is failing. And unlike the expanded GOE value (which could still potentially be used to really reward those who really demonstrate skating excellence), I fail to see how change in emphasis (from TES to PCS and vice versa) between the two types of programs could really bring the intended improvement :/ :/ -_- — if anything it's becoming more rife of  potential abuse by the judges who are already dodgy enough under the current system -_- -_-

I am more interested in mundane trivialities like - ok, you are going to have a technical program which is 3 minutes 30 seconds long instead of 2.40 now,   and supposing they allow skaters on TES minimums again... just how long is a whole run of short programs going to last? 

42 minutes ago, rubyblue said:

And would that be fair? So, until 22 they will continue to reward what they've been so far and give some skaters all the candies and then in fall '22 they will say them "sorry, not anymore, go away"? They're going to break some people.

Once again: if they see flaws, why they don't start to change it now? no need to wait, just use the system you already have

No? The reset I'm talking about is that ISU needs to acknowledge that figure skating is ruined. That THEY ruined this sport. That they are not applying their own rules. And, exactly, say to skaters "sorry, you never got called, but actually you flutz/ you lip / you are a carrot farmer / you never deserved your levels / your PCS should be 10 or even 20 points lower". Total reset of rewarding elements and components.

That said, considering how much over/underscoring in all disciplines progressed and how some camps believe in their scores (starting from Sambo skaters and coaches' faces in K&C when they get ONE UR call), I already can see the outrage and mess that applying rules would cause. That's why I'm not sure if this would work unless whole sport will be magically reseted.

This sport is really in full doom and I don't think it will get better in next decade (if not longer).

46 minutes ago, Fay said:

I am more interested in mundane trivialities like - ok, you are going to have a technical program which is 3 minutes 30 seconds long instead of 2.40 now,   and supposing they allow skaters on TES minimums again... just how long is a whole run of short programs going to last? 

No problem. Just raise min TES. Less skaters will qualify.

I think the approach to this problem is completely wrong. First I hate the whole time change they are proposing, second this % thing is really the best they can come up with? Why dont they train their judges to do a proper job and simplify the GOE system or divide the panel? Right now it is like this "wow that jump was good what do I give? +4 or +5? hmmm LOL IDK guess ill go for a +4 xdxdxd" thats what I picture some of this judges doing.

And do not get me started on the obscenity of separating the medals. 

Lol. Why not just split the judging panel or actually enforce some rules on the judges for once? Give me a break. In the end it's always the skaters that suffer the most, the people that actually ARE the sport and the ones audience put money in ISU sponsors' pockets to see (hard as it may be for some ISU officials to believe...) Don't see how this'll do anything positive to advance the sport just like +5 GOE hasn't but whatever, ISU bigwigs will just end up doing whatever and that's that :ugly004:

I am still thinking of what Max Ambesi said, about the changing of the PCS factoring, rather than this whole shenanigans ISU reptilians are ready to come up with while enjoying the Phuket paradise Congress location paid with the money intended to make the sport progress...

10 hours ago, FlyingCamel said:

Edit: didn’t see the thread for this sorry!!

Ugh, splitting it into 2 events isn't going to fix this, ISU! Separate the judges. Tech judges and PCS judges so they can focus on one thing and not get too influenced by what they see in the other area (e.g.: consistent quads giving boosts to PCS the way it's currently happening).