Yuri! On Ice Discussion thread

Hydroblade

OOOOOH BOY. SEIYUU NERD. You make me feel old guys, i am a faithful follower of the goddess Megumi Hayashibara lol. And i have a lot of favorite seiyuus, too many to list here hahahaha.

And yes, a movie is being released soon.

And i was a massive nerd with disposable cash so as soon as the preorders for viktor and yuuri nendos were open i oredered them (literally one hour after preorders opened) I am waiting for Yurio nendoroid. There's something about him i really really like :) and i identified with Yuuri with the whole "idk what im doing with my life". Been there.

The thing i like the most about it is the animation and the music omgomgomgomgomg i could gush about the animation for days, and the music is amazing <3

Ahhhh, Megumi! To me she will forever be Jessie from Pokemon, though, no matter how many roles I hear her in. I'm a seiyuu nerd too, haha. My favorites are Ono D and Hiroshi Kamiya.

I love the music in YoI, I actually didn't want to watch it, but then a friend was watching while we were doing hw in her room and I just fell in love with the music. Two weeks later, I was trying to learn Yuri on Ice on piano. Beautiful little piece. I never did finish learning it, now that I think about it. Maybe I'll give it another shot next week.

ok don't hit me, but i think the yoi anime started out good but then lost its plot towards the end

the ending sucks (all the scoring was messed up) and the whole victor and yuuri thing was more queerbaiting than anything

i think the best thing about the anime was the music

like it's good that there's a show about figure skating

but real figure skating is far superior to yoi (which was mostly fanservice and queerbait)

there, i said it

yoi fans don't hit me

Really? I didn't get that impression at all. In fact, I go to what is quite possibly one of the gayest colleges in the States (I'm not even kidding, this college is at least 35% lesbian), and soooo many people praised it for the lack of queerbaiting. Around December, every time I went to a dining hall I saw people watching it and discussing it :smile: In fact, now that I think about it, the two people who kept insisting I should watch it were gay hahaha.

I loved the show, despite the glaring inaccuracies in terms of scoring (especially in Barcelona) because I really loved Yuri Katsuki above all characters. His struggles, his anxiety, his determination: he was my favorite character. Victor was kind of the amusing and slighly mysterious character until episode 10 turned everything around and then I started loving him a lot too. And I really liked most of the musical choices, especially the Yuri on Ice FS. I wasn't particularly fond of Yurio, though, because I no longer appreciate teenage tantrums and tsundere characters all that much.

But the last episode kind of veered off into a strange and abrupt resolution, with Victor suddenly deciding to go back to competing AND coaching, when all through the show we hadn't actually seen him miss competing that much; it was only Yuuri who thought he did, though apparently not. It made very little sense how Victor thought he could do both AND compete at Russian Nationals at the end of the month, on no training at all.

Also, Otabek got robbed.

The thing about YOI that has amused me, though, is how prescient it has been. Who would have thought that this season, in real life, we'd be seeing stuff we could only have imagined being done in the anime? 5 quads in a FS, 3 quads in the second half, a World Championship with four skaters above 300 points! Not to mention Yuzu totally breaking Yuuri's FS record (lololol). I imagine the anime is going to try and one-up real life in the movie by having someone land a 4A.

Also, Otabek got robbed.

Not only was he robbed, but he basically had no screen time. I thought he was supposed to be another extremely talented skater with very distinctive programs but ended up being more of a filler character.

I prolly watched 2-3 eps then noped out. Haha.. I was hoping it was something more of a sports shonen type anime where they explain the sport while highlighting relationships as well. Something like Hikaru no Go for example - Go as a sport isn't the most exciting or easy to understand, but the way they presented it made it interesting and informative. I am glad though that it ushered in new fans for figure skating.

Oh man Otabek was so robbed. He's very intriguing as a character (and man if he doesn't have chemistry with Yurio - have you seen that preview for Welcome to the madness?? :yay: ). I also love the music for both of his programmes and often listened to them quite a lot when the OST was still available on Youtube.

I prolly watched 2-3 eps then noped out. Haha.. I was hoping it was something more of a sports shonen type anime where they explain the sport while highlighting relationships as well. Something like Hikaru no Go for example - Go as a sport isn't the most exciting or easy to understand, but the way they presented it made it interesting and informative. I am glad though that it ushered in new fans for figure skating.

Exactly my thoughts! I do see why people love YOI, but for me I was looking for something more related to the sports itself (like haikyuu, ace of diamond...man, even as ridiculous as kuroko's basketball) than romance.

If there is a season two, I hope we can see some quintuple jumps! :yay:

YOI chat!! So cool! I hope, if season 2 is happening, to see more of Yurio - Otabek shipping (my fav couple). :s_wink

There is no season 2, currently. They're doing a movie, it was announced quite recently at a huge YOI event with Kubo and everyone else.

That means I get a) more Victor, b) probably more original music and c) more Victor.

I am all good.

I adore the opening. When I first hear it, I was stuck with it for a few days :love:

I have the chorus as my ringtone since November last year. I love the lyrics of that part quite a lot.