Yuri! On Ice Discussion thread

Hydroblade

HELLO.

I know what you're thinking, how many threads can this girl open lmao sorry

Welcome to our temporary Yuri! On Ice discussion thread :D (we might move it later)

I know we have a lot of fans here who arrived to Planet Hanyu thanks to Yuri on Ice so i think we should have a place to discuss it here :pooh:

Favorite characters? YURIO, favorite programs?, did you cry when Makkachin almost died?, kiss o no kiss?, did you develop a weird craving for katsudon everytime you hear spanish inspired music?

It's ok. We understand :pbow:

Just a reminder (althought it seems it isn't completely needed but still...), please keep fiction from reality separated as much as possible (we can't ignore Oda commenting and Lambiel talking to Victor as if they were BFFs...)

^^ haha the fact that stephane is on a first name basis with viktor is hilarious to me xD they look like an extra pair of bffs ready to show their sass at all times xD

I like Yurio a lot, but I'm biased bc I am originally a seiyuu nerd (which got me into anime in the first place, which got me into YoI and now I'm here) :s_tongue and I'm a HUGE fan of Yurio's seiyuu - Uchiyama Kouki. Ironically his work in YoI actually isn't my favourite among those in his repertoire (imho he could sound a bit one-note sometimes :s_sad ) but I still really the tone of his voice and a lot of characters he's played in the past

About the programmes themselves, I'm very excited about the music for both of Otabek's programmes. Yurio's FS is very good too (I'm a sucker for classical music). One I found quite underrated is Emil's FS. Love the techno theme and melody of the piece.

^^ haha the fact that stephane is on a first name basis with viktor is hilarious to me xD they look like an extra pair of bffs ready to show their sass at all times xD

I like Yurio a lot, but I'm biased bc I am originally a seiyuu nerd (which got me into anime in the first place, which got me into YoI and now I'm here) :s_tongue and I'm a HUGE fan of Yurio's seiyuu - Uchiyama Kouki. Ironically his work in YoI actually isn't my favourite among those in his repertoire (imho he could sound a bit one-note sometimes :s_sad ) but I still really the tone of his voice and a lot of characters he's played in the past

About the programmes themselves, I'm very excited about the music for both of Otabek's programmes. Yurio's FS is very good too (I'm a sucker for classical music). One I found quite underrated is Emil's FS. Love the techno theme and melody of the piece.

Didn't expect to find a seiyuu nerd here! I used to be obsessed with seiyuu too - I like Uchiyama Kouki too. Junichi Suwabe, horishi kamiya, daisuke Ono, Jun fukuyama are some of my favourites (whoops my nerdy side is emerging haha)

ETA: Junichi Suwabe's voice is eargasm. idc what he is talking I can listen to his voice all day :bow:

I get into anime fandoms also because of seiyuus and Suwabe Junichi (Viktor's seiyuu) is one of the favorites. The biggest surprise though was Yuuri's seiyuu.

I was addicted to the show since the first episode and I wish the girls, Sara and Mila could have had a program too. My favorite program is Yuri on Ice! (the piano melody is simply very soothing and I can definitely see one's career in that musical piece). I didn't like Yurio much (sorry!). It's just that tsundere characters don't click with me.

No matter how lovely our main couple was, I really liked Georgi Popovich and his LP program music Tales of a Sleeping Prince, together with JJ' Theme of King JJ. History Maker is my ringtone actually... :rofl2:

Didn't expect to find a seiyuu nerd here! I used to be obsessed with seiyuu too - I like Uchiyama Kouki too. Junichi Suwabe, horishi kamiya, daisuke Ono, Jun fukuyama are some of my favourites (whoops my nerdy side is emerging haha)

oh no you wouldn't want to bring them up here bc I could ramble on and on about them forever :rofl2: :rofl2: (in case you didn't notice, my tumblr is a seiyuu blog) :s_wink

I fancy myself somewhat well versed with most middle-aged seiyuus still active right now, including veterans born in the 60s like Suwabe Junichi, Ishida Akira, etc.; those born in the 70s that have enjoyed quite big success over the past decade like Kamiya Hiroshi, OnoD, Sakurai Takahito, Namikawa Daisuke, Suzumura Kenichi, Fukuyama Jun etc.; newly-turned 30s sth guys that are becoming more maturing like Sugita Tomokazu, Suzuki Tatsuhisa, Nakamura Yuuichi, Kaji Yuuki etc. I'm trying to keep up with new, young ones who are now my age (omg :rofl2: ) born in the 90s, and I like quite a few of them too. Sport anime series are a big gateway to seiyuu xD

But anyway, back to YoI lmao, the one that surprised me the most is still Be-san though. I'd known almost all of the cast voicing YoI characters prior to the show, so they didn't surprise me much, but had never heard Suwabe register into such a playful, flirtatious voice that seems to suit Viktor so much before. I know he has played a few heartthrobs in the past, but whenever I think of him my first thought still goes to that ass Ahomine :rofl2: , and the stark contrast is astounding and hilarious. I truly believe no one else can play viktor better than him, now that I've seen what he had in store for us

But anyway, back to YoI lmao, the one that surprised me the most is still Be-san though. I'd known almost all of the cast voicing YoI characters prior to the show, so they didn't surprise me much, but had never heard Suwabe register into such a playful, flirtatious voice that seems to suit Viktor so much before. I know he has played a few heartthrobs in the past, but whenever I think of him my first thought still goes to that ass Ahomine :rofl2: , and the stark contrast is astounding and hilarious. I truly believe no one else can play viktor better than him, now that I've seen what he had in store for us

Really? I'm the opposite, I'm really used to listening to Suwabe-san voicing flirtatious guys (and btw, have you ever heard him voicing bl dramas? *shy*)

Back to YOI, I think they will be releasing a movie soon? I kind of lost track of things when the series ended.

OOOOOH BOY. SEIYUU NERD. You make me feel old guys, i am a faithful follower of the goddess Megumi Hayashibara lol. And i have a lot of favorite seiyuus, too many to list here hahahaha.

And yes, a movie is being released soon.

And i was a massive nerd with disposable cash so as soon as the preorders for viktor and yuuri nendos were open i oredered them (literally one hour after preorders opened) I am waiting for Yurio nendoroid. There's something about him i really really like :) and i identified with Yuuri with the whole "idk what im doing with my life". Been there.

The thing i like the most about it is the animation and the music omgomgomgomgomg i could gush about the animation for days, and the music is amazing <3

Really? I'm the opposite, I'm really used to listening to Suwabe-san voicing flirtatious guys (and btw, have you ever heard him voicing bl dramas? *shy*)

Back to YOI, I think they will be releasing a movie soon? I kind of lost track of things when the series ended.

I know that he has played a decent amount of ikemen, but I can't remember when he last used this particular voice range he used for viktor. It's flirty but very grounded, and not the shallow on-the-surface gentle swooning flirtatious range I usually see with otome-focused series (if that makes sense orz) I guess I haven't seen all of him before

(funnily enough, I've listened to quite a few drama cds, but mostly ones translated otherwise I'm clueless about what I'm hearing. so I actually haven't really got an idea what Be-san could sound like when doing karami lmaoo :rofl2:

perhaps I could save checking him out as an option for a rainy day) :rofl2:

And yes, there will be one for YoI. No other news has been confirmed, no date for it has been released, so I'm not quite sure when it will happen, but it WILL happen and that's a fact

OOOOOH BOY. SEIYUU NERD. You make me feel old guys, i am a faithful follower of the goddess Megumi Hayashibara lol. And i have a lot of favorite seiyuus, too many to list here hahahaha.

I love all her works! I'm into a more senpai generation of seiyuus --> Takehito Koyasu, Kotono Mitsuishi, Hayami Sho, Juurota Kosugi

:empathy:

And i was a massive nerd with disposable cash so as soon as the preorders for viktor and yuuri nendos were open i oredered them (literally one hour after preorders opened) I am waiting for Yurio nendoroid. There's something about him i really really like :) and i identified with Yuuri with the whole "idk what im doing with my life". Been there.

The thing i like the most about it is the animation and the music omgomgomgomgomg i could gush about the animation for days, and the music is amazing <3

Oh I know she plays Haibara in Conan and Faye in Cowboy Bebop (still haven't watched a single episodes of both ORZ there are so many new series popping up each season it's so hard to keep up :cry: ) But I have heard from her in Shouwa Genroku as Miyokichi and she sounds awesome :love: it's a really hard role to portray!

About YoI's animation, I'd like to point out that I feel like 90% of its budget goes to Viktor's beauty (50% of which is spent on his tears :rofl2: ) so there are quite a few questionable animation sequences, particularly those of skating footage imo :rofl2: but I get that it's hard to animate such a difficult thing and smooth animation for a mid-tear budget weekly series is unheard of. Hope the theatrical release will hit it out of the park given how much money the show has generated!

Oh I know she plays Haibara in Conan and Faye in Cowboy Bebop (still haven't watched a single episodes of both ORZ there are so many new series popping up each season it's so hard to keep up :cry: ) But I have heard from her in Shouwa Genroku as Miyokichi and she sounds awesome :love: it's a really hard role to portray!

About YoI's animation, I'd like to point out that I feel like 90% of its budget goes to Viktor's beauty (50% of which is spent on his tears :rofl2: ) so there are quite a few questionable animation sequences, particularly those of skating footage imo :rofl2: but I get that it's hard to animate such a difficult thing and smooth animation for a mid-tear budget weekly series is unheard of. Hope the theatrical release will hit it out of the park given how much money the show has generated!

I think they did a very good job considering the constraints of time, budget and how much you can do to more or less animate skating accurately. But there are gorgeous non skating sequences, and i like the character design too, i got some ghibli vibes here and there :)

The animators are really talented

ok don't hit me, but i think the yoi anime started out good but then lost its plot towards the end

the ending sucks (all the scoring was messed up) and the whole victor and yuuri thing was more queerbaiting than anything

i think the best thing about the anime was the music

there, i said it

yoi fans don't hit me

Oh for sure the direction became much less focused towards the end compared to the beginning, bc I think there was just a lot of things the creators wanted to cram into 12 measly episodes. I could imagine at least an ep 13 would have smoothed out the pacing a little bit.

Hm, i don't feel like it was pure pandering. The relationship had a point, it gave Yuuri the drive to keep going further and push himself, plus it wasn't the only point of the story. In my opinion it was handled just as another aspect of the characters, not a defining characteristic. The whole Viktor "I AM GOING TO COMPETE AGAIN" thing was a bit eeh... But i'll see what they do in the movie. The scoring was one of the aspects i didn't like at all, but you can't expect accuracy in anime :P

I started out as a YOI fan, but now when I try to watch FS there I'm like 'meh'. The animation really doesn't do the justice to what FS actually looks like. So this kinda cooled my affection. I also wish they showed more technical aspects and explained more about FS, but this might bore the majority of the viewers who are probably there just for Yuuri and Victor. I started out as a major victuuri shipper as ended as a major FS fan, so basically I now only care about the competitions and training sessions that they show...

Also, one of the most unrealistic things about YOI is a Russian man doing a quad flip since I can't remember anyone but Andrei Lazukin who can actually do a flip (he has a shallow edge on his lutz, though, apparently).

I also can't understand how is the plot going to develop with the whole Victor's comeback thing. All I know is that it'll be really sad if Yuuri doesn't win gold in some major competition they'll have to show, but if Victor doesn't win gold, it's going to be quite sad too.

The last thing... Otabek #wuzrobbed!