Yuri! On Ice Discussion thread

Hydroblade

Wasn't it revealed in one of the YOI events that Viktor had a longstanding tiff with the Russian skating federation as well as the ISU? So it's canonically likely that he was underscored, but looking at the irregularity in the other skaters' scores it also obvious that the YOI makers really did not bother doing the proper math. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I have a question that stems from YoI:

Throughout the series, they speak of the skaters having "themes" for their programs. I know Yuzu's theme for 15-16 was "Wa/Japan"...Is this something most skaters do, or is it just a predominantly Japanese practice? I love the thought of having a theme, as opposed to, "I like this song lol I should skate to it wut fun," but I don't think I've ever heard of a US skater doing the same. (Disclaimer: Been watching figure skating since I was a child, but only just starting to watch it hardcore this past year.)

12 hours ago, Taotastic said:

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I have a question that stems from YoI:

Throughout the series, they speak of the skaters having "themes" for their programs. I know Yuzu's theme for 15-16 was "Wa/Japan"...Is this something most skaters do, or is it just a predominantly Japanese practice? I love the thought of having a theme, as opposed to, "I like this song lol I should skate to it wut fun," but I don't think I've ever heard of a US skater doing the same. (Disclaimer: Been watching figure skating since I was a child, but only just starting to watch it hardcore this past year.)

I think it's a Japanese thing... or if it occurs outside of Japan, I haven't heard of it. The most iconic theme of all is prolly Tatsuki Machida's "Timshel" in which NO ONE understood what he was talking about :smiley-laughing021:

• 2 months later...