Yuri! On Ice Discussion thread

Hydroblade

The more I look at Victor's layout, the more I think it ridiculous. It would be better for him to do 4T3T3Lo and 3A3Lo than the 3A3Lo3Lo so I'll assume that was a typo and his layout is really: 4Lz 4F 3A // 4S(2T) 3A3Lo 3Lz 3F 4T3T3Lo. Which is still ridiculous, anyway. BV with the proper number of combos would be 112.04. Still less than Nathan Chen's proposed layout for Worlds.

And Victor scored less than Yuri's WR, which is less than Yuzu's WR without a 4Lz and 4F, so yes, I agree with @golden, Victor was probably the most underscored World Record holder in memory. 

So all these ridiculous layouts make even less sense with the scoring, despite at the time the creators thinking these layouts might garner all these huge points. Because you come across a Yuzuru who, with a lower value BV, will blow all your points away anyway.

Now I'm curious what Victor's SP layout would be. Would he backload everything too? A 4Lz3T 4F 3A all backloaded? Geesh. And Yurio managed to 'impossibly' break the score with that with only a 4T and 4S?

Yep, most underscored champion ever, that Victor. For all he was beloved by fans, the judges must have been absolutely sick of his dominance. 

3 hours ago, xeyra said:

Still less than Nathan Chen's proposed layout for Worlds.

This sounds like it could become a meme :laughing:

3 hours ago, xeyra said:

Victor was probably the most underscored World Record holder in memory. 

But that's impossible! He comes from Russia! He would be covered in candies in real life probably! :laughing:

3 hours ago, xeyra said:

Yep, most underscored champion ever, that Victor. For all he was beloved by fans, the judges must have been absolutely sick of his dominance. 

I sense a hidden meaning behind this :xD:

2 hours ago, golden said:

if yurio's sp record is 118.56, then victors must have been 118.55 or less. his tss was 335.76, meaning the least he would have gotten was 217.21 for his free and the most 221.57. (the first figure is if the absolute highest short program is used btw). its implied that he would have nailed the tech in the clip that it showed him skating  in ep 1, so his pcs would have been somewhere around low to mid 80's??? i did some weird math and in my estimate that is true anyway. 

is this show feeling okay??? why do i feel compelled to use the hashtag #justice4victor???

and also why am i doing this for a fictional skater

and why am i so bothered

i think i need to go for a nap

Maybe Victor broke records by sheer technical prowess a la Nathan/Boyang and was terrible in PCS. But then he's 27 and been skating for ages so he'd never have 80s PCS for years while being World and Olympic champion and dominating for so long.

The creators just didn't calculate things properly for the layouts they came up with. Which we already knew re GPF scores. They screwed up and now the more knowledgeable FS fans are :notamused: and crying for poor Victor getting robbed all his career.

1 minute ago, golden said:

"a calculator??? who is she, never met her before" - yoi team

They did this before that awesome online BV app I always use for this crap. That and Excel. Because Excel is hard or something.

20 minutes ago, golden said:

there are so many ways they could have made it more accurate while having crazy layouts. scribbling on a napkin with the scale of values open in the far distance would have been better than this. one side of me is like, shut up its just a show, enjoy it for the cute characters, but the side of me that just wants accuracy is in pain while seeing things so nonsensical

:sadPooh: 

While I was watching it, I was just learning about FS. By the time the GPF episodes came out, I already knew a bit about the math involved and some posts on Tumblr showed how ridiculous those SP numbers were (basically impossible as they'd require over 50 in PCS). But now I know a lot more and since those layouts came out, it just makes the inaccuracies all the more glaring (especially Victor's records situation).

I understand the anime was not made for the knowledgeable FS fan and it's just an anime, but they should have known they would make some people pay attention to the sport or bring the attention of people who were fans of the sport already, so the math just makes NO SENSE and it's painful.

3 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

tbh maybe we are unleashing some score bitterness over the YOI authors when really we are upset that true FS juges don't understand a thing about scoring :xD:

Nah, in my case I'm really just bitter at the YOI creators for not being able to math. Seeing these layouts just made it all the more glaringly annoying. I take my protocols seriously, even in an anime!

9 minutes ago, xeyra said:

Nah, in my case I'm really just bitter at the YOI creators for not being able to math. Seeing these layouts just made it all the more glaringly annoying. I take my protocols seriously, even in an anime!

It's just that there are so many themes and topics YOI dealt with in the span of 12 episodes, and the only thing I've read so far is scoring complaints :laughing: I thought there were going to be some YOI fans here that's all! :winky: 

18 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

It's just that there are so many themes and topics YOI dealt with in the span of 12 episodes, and the only thing I've read so far is scoring complaints :laughing: I thought there were going to be some YOI fans here that's all! :winky: 

Because the scoring inaccuracies soured the good things a little for me! As well as the way Victor decided to suddenly come back to competition and think he'd be ready to compete at Russian Nationals two weeks after the GPF with no training at all.

I love the show, I love the characters, Yuri and Victor are my OTP forever and ever and their relationship's evolution was amazing (plus Yuri's character development was absolutely top notch), but these darn layouts from the official guidebook brought out the complaining part of me because, well, Victor got robbed all his career!

3 minutes ago, xeyra said:

Because the scoring soured the good things a little for me! As well as the way Victor decided to suddenly come back to competition and think he'd be ready to compete at Russian Nationals two weeks after the GPF with no training at all.

I love the show, I love the characters, Yuri and Victor are my OTP forever and ever and their relationship's evolution was amazing (plus Yuri's character development was absolutely top notch), but these darn layouts from the official guidebook brought out the complaining part of me because, well, Victor got robbed all his career!

Aaaah welll who knows, maybe Victor didn't plan to go back to compete in the middle of the season but actually waited until the season later?? (Only way to find out: GIVE US A SEASON 2! Too bad, for now there's only the movie in sight).

Ahahaha poor Victor, really! But he still won GPF for (how many years in a row again?)? It means he is a true champion as much as Yuzuru is! (well, maybe a little less, since Yuzuru is real). Underscored world record scores are the best scores :laughing:

Let's discuss these GPF layouts and laugh a little. For example, Chris goes from doing 3F3T all through the GP (and Challenger, I assume) series to suddenly doing a 4S3T for GPF. As his last jump. Chris, why so extra?

8 hours ago, xeyra said:

Let's discuss these GPF layouts and laugh a little. For example, Chris goes from doing 3F3T all through the GP (and Challenger, I assume) series to suddenly doing a 4S3T for GPF. As his last jump. Chris, why so extra?

Well, he needed extra friction for the climax of the program... you feel me?