Yuri! On Ice Discussion thread

Hydroblade

On 5/6/2017 at 18:45, OmNom said:

^^ haha the fact that stephane is on a first name basis with viktor is hilarious to me xD they look like an extra pair of bffs ready to show their sass at all times xD

I like Yurio a lot, but I'm biased bc I am originally a seiyuu nerd (which got me into anime in the first place, which got me into YoI and now I'm here) :s_tongue and I'm a HUGE fan of Yurio's seiyuu - Uchiyama Kouki. Ironically his work in YoI actually isn't my favourite among those in his repertoire (imho he could sound a bit one-note sometimes :s_sad ) but I still really the tone of his voice and a lot of characters he's played in the past

About the programmes themselves, I'm very excited about the music for both of Otabek's programmes. Yurio's FS is very good too (I'm a sucker for classical music). One I found quite underrated is Emil's FS. Love the techno theme and melody of the piece.

I'm a fan of Miyano Mamoru--man, what a lovely voice. So to hear his voice lmao as JJ was a fun surprise!

Anyway, I was so surprised when I found out that there would be an anime! About men's figure skating!!! So immediately started watching because FS + anime = wonderfulness, right? It was pretty good in the beginning but yes, definitely agree that it lost its footing at the end. I do love the OP theme so much (I don't know why, it just sounds brilliant to me--WE WERE BORN TO MAKE HISTORY! I usually skip the opening credits to anime but I didn't for this), and Yuri's FS music was pretty beautiful. 

6 hours ago, kaaaaaaat said:

I'm a fan of Miyano Mamoru--man, what a lovely voice. So to hear his voice lmao as JJ was a fun surprise!

Anyway, I was so surprised when I found out that there would be an anime! About men's figure skating!!! So immediately started watching because FS + anime = wonderfulness, right? It was pretty good in the beginning but yes, definitely agree that it lost its footing at the end. I do love the OP theme so much (I don't know why, it just sounds brilliant to me--WE WERE BORN TO MAKE HISTORY! I usually skip the opening credits to anime but I didn't for this), and Yuri's FS music was pretty beautiful. 

omg this! I looooove the opening :biggrin: and the ending too :biggrin: 

When i found out there was going to be a figure skating anime... i think it was before falling into the swan lake :P i was very excited

9 hours ago, kaaaaaaat said:

And the animation for the opening sequence changes throughtout the episodes. That was very refreshing. And yes, I still have History Maker as my ringtone... :P

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, xeyra said:

An American adult skater won silver in an international Adult Skating competition skating to Yuri on Ice, with Yuri's costume! From the 10.50 mark.

What a nice interpretation! And the music is definitely one of the best ones of the whole show. His upright spin was gorgeous.

So happy for this skater ^^

I didnt know yoi thread existed on this site lol

I thought the anime was gonna be like free but with frozen water so i was reluctant to try it at first

But god i was so wrong 😂

i didnt expect much from that anime and was worried about it ruining fs image

Now its my favourite anime i've ever watched

I just love how they portraited victor and yuuri's relationship 

It was realistic and music was fantastic 

Evgenia was fangirling about it like people who knew her well enough expected but didnt think that other skaters would love it so much 

I hope we get to see the movie and season 2 sometime soon

*i died at last ep pair skate

and yuri on ice is the best fs program

• 4 weeks later...

Resurrecting this thread because these just came out. The protocols of the YOI skaters, with their season layout on the left and then their changed layout for GPF. They basically all changed layouts.

I find all of these so damn amusing. There is so much I'd like to comment, starting on how unrealistic some of these sort of are, but with the way men may start to backload even more next season, I wouldn't put it past someone jumping a quad as last jumping pass in a FS. The most unrealistic part is everyone suddenly changing their layouts for GPF. But it's the most important competition of the season!

Also, why did so many of these guys decide right before the GPF was the right time to finally upgrade from those 3F/3Lz combos onto quad combos? What even!

Still, my most amusing thought, aside from the unrealistic 3A-3Lo-3Lo in Mr. Victor Nikiforov's layout, is that he's actually missing a combo! :headdesk:

31 minutes ago, xeyra said:

I find all of these so damn amusing. There is so much I'd like to comment, starting on how unrealistic some of these sort of are, but with the way men may start to backload even more next season, I wouldn't put it past someone jumping a quad as last jumping pass in a FS. The most unrealistic part is everyone suddenly changing their layouts for GPF. But it's the most important competition of the season!

You gotta hand it to the creators though, they did research all things FS to create this anime! Plus, they said they were aware of doing some unrealistic things, and they wanted to create layouts 'a bit harder than reality'. (although, in reality, Yuzuru already overcame those unrealistic layouts :laughing:)

I would love to see, one day, Yuzu jump a quad at the end of a program. I mean, he already kinda did in WTT 2017. 3 quads in the second half. This man. Even less realistic than non-realistic anime. LOL. 

31 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

You gotta hand it to the creators though, they did research all things FS to create this anime! Plus, they said they were aware of doing some unrealistic things, and they wanted to create layouts 'a bit harder than reality'. (although, in reality, Yuzuru already overcame those unrealistic layouts :laughing:)

But for all their research, their GPF scoring was so wildly wrong and I'll always be salty Otabek got robbed for plot purposes of some kind. 

Just now, xeyra said:

But for all their research, their GPF scoring was so wildly wrong and I'll always be salty Otabek got robbed for plot purposes of some kind. 

Well, everyone is mad about that, myself included. I've never felt any kind of sympathy towards JJ. He looks mental to me. :rofl:

I'm a little salty because it never happened that a Junior became Senior and won GPF that same debut year, like Yurio did, right? That was kinda meh. Too much. 

5 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

Well, everyone is mad about that, myself included. I've never felt any kind of sympathy towards JJ. He looks mental to me. :rofl:

I'm a little salty because it never happened that a Junior became Senior and won GPF that same debut year, like Yurio did, right? That was kinda meh. Too much. 

While we're at it, Yuri also got robbed because there's no way a hand down on a 4F would have brought him to a below 100 score, if he was so good at the PCS and spins/steps (and his other elements looked good) and Yurio would have never have gotten that impossible SP score anyway, so that miniscule difference in total score would have gone in Yuri's way.

But... plot... whatever that was in the end.

I mean, I loved the show but the whole scoring was just... :hachimaki:

5 minutes ago, xeyra said:

While we're at it, Yuri also got robbed because there's no way a hand down on a 4F would have brought him to a below 100 score, if he was so good at the PCS and spins/steps (and his other elements looked good) and Yurio would have never have gotten that impossible SP score anyway, so that miniscule difference in total score would have gone in Yuri's way.

Maybe he also got a -1.00 deduction for late start? :hand:

3 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

Maybe he also got a -1.00 deduction for late start? :hand:

I'm being salty on behalf of anime characters. This is where my life has gone. 

4 minutes ago, xeyra said:

I'm being salty on behalf of anime characters. This is where my life has gone. 

To be honest, I haven't watched YOI since before I got reaaaally into FS. So I think that now, I would watch it with different eyes. 

I mean, I would enjoy Victuuri in the same way, of that I am sure