Jump to content
sallycinnamon

[2020] 4CC (04-09.02) - Men Free Skating

Recommended Posts

I’m not sure how much of the “hole in the ice” issue was shown on the ISU stream, and I saw someone on Twitter saying there was a lot of misinformation going around. My own Twitter account is private so I will just share here what I saw from my seat (long end opposite the judges):

 

Yuzu came on the ice and during the slow-mo replay of Jun’s skate, he spotted the hole in the ice at the short side (my left, judges’ right). He raised his hand and made a beckoning gesture to someone on the judges’ side (not sure who specifically). With his hand still raised, he immediately skated over to the referee to inform them about the hole. He wasn't dawdling near the short side waiting for them to notice him or anything, he went over to them right away.

 

After he explained the problem to the officials, he started stroking around the other short end of the rink (the side that got the koala hand puppet lmao) and landed a jump, I can't remember which. Then one of the ice fixers skated out and plugged the hole with some ice. Once she was done, Yuzu skated over and picked up something that looked like a chunk of ice (not sure if it was excess ice from the plugging or the original chunk that got ripped out) and he tossed it over the boards. All this happened in the time between the end of Jun's skate and Jun getting his scores. 

 

Probably someone who sat closer to that end can add more details to this if I missed anything important. FWIW the short end with the hole is the Chopin 4S corner, i.e. opposite to the one where he does Seimei 4Lz and fell on 4T. But the ice fixing did take up a good chunk of the warm-up time before his skate so I guess he didn’t get to cover as much ice as he usually does. Hopefully the less than ideal little niggles he’s gone through here means he’ll have smooth sailings at Worlds!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Since someone is describing the 'hole in ice' situation, here's a video of it. Hasnt this already been posted in the forum?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure where to post this but it looks like OP uploaded all 4CC videos with no commentary (from Russian streams I think)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the ice hole matter, the problem wasnt if the jumps happened around the hole area, instead the ice being in questionable condition and the whole process of having to worry about and getting someone to fix it pulled him out of “the zone”. He was getting ready mentally for the performance and then he was suddenly yanked by this, and I believe he said he wasnt able to regain the focus and be inside the performance as much as he likes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jitterbug70 said:

I’m not sure how much of the “hole in the ice” issue was shown on the ISU stream, and I saw someone on Twitter saying there was a lot of misinformation going around. My own Twitter account is private so I will just share here what I saw from my seat (long end opposite the judges):

 

Yuzu came on the ice and during the slow-mo replay of Jun’s skate, he spotted the hole in the ice at the short side (my left, judges’ right). He raised his hand and made a beckoning gesture to someone on the judges’ side (not sure who specifically). With his hand still raised, he immediately skated over to the referee to inform them about the hole. He wasn't dawdling near the short side waiting for them to notice him or anything, he went over to them right away.

 

After he explained the problem to the officials, he started stroking around the other short end of the rink (the side that got the koala hand puppet lmao) and landed a jump, I can't remember which. Then one of the ice fixers skated out and plugged the hole with some ice. Once she was done, Yuzu skated over and picked up something that looked like a chunk of ice (not sure if it was excess ice from the plugging or the original chunk that got ripped out) and he tossed it over the boards. All this happened in the time between the end of Jun's skate and Jun getting his scores. 

 

Probably someone who sat closer to that end can add more details to this if I missed anything important. FWIW the short end with the hole is the Chopin 4S corner, i.e. opposite to the one where he does Seimei 4Lz and fell on 4T. But the ice fixing did take up a good chunk of the warm-up time before his skate so I guess he didn’t get to cover as much ice as he usually does. Hopefully the less than ideal little niggles he’s gone through here means he’ll have smooth sailings at Worlds!

i just wanted to add that i was sitting kinda close to that 4S corner, tho more center, and had a good view of this. This is a very good recap and how I would describe it as well. Also, I was able to see his facial expression well, and he looked very worried/frantic lol. I was afraid he would be psyched out but he wasn't (not too much), although I did feel he tried to avoid the hole when jumping his 4S.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2020 at 5:00 AM, Henni147 said:

 

It was 307 for Nathan and 303 for Yuzu.

It was my first full live event, too :grouphug:

In Four Continents 2017, Yuzuru made a mistake in SP, but he won FS where he landed quad lutz, I believe. But the gap scores in SP was more than the more points he gained in FS, so Nathan won the gold medal with one or two points more in total, not much points difference.

I also remember Yuzuru won a silver medal 2 more times, one in Four Continents 2011, the second time in Four Continents 2013, and of course the third silver medal in Four Continents 2017.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Vadrouille said:

In Four Continents 2017, Yuzuru made a mistake in SP, but he won FS where he landed quad lutz, I believe. But the gap scores in SP was more than the more points he gained in FS, so Nathan won the gold medal with one or two points more in total, not much points difference.

I also remember Yuzuru won a silver medal 2 more times, one in Four Continents 2011, the second time in Four Continents 2013, and of course the third silver medal in Four Continents 2017.

 

Yuzu landed his first 4Lz at COR 2017 half a year after 4CC.

 

At 4CC his exact jump layout was:

4Lo

4S

3F

X 2S+1Eu

X 4T

X Yolo 3A+3T

X Yolo 4T+2T

X Yolo 3A

 

He really would have deserved gold for that impro-miracle :68468287:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

i just wanted to add that i was sitting kinda close to that 4S corner, tho more center, and had a good view of this. This is a very good recap and how I would describe it as well. Also, I was able to see his facial expression well, and he looked very worried/frantic lol. I was afraid he would be psyched out but he wasn't (not too much), although I did feel he tried to avoid the hole when jumping his 4S.

And of course it was one of his biggest 4s.:tumblr_inline_mqt4graWWO1qz4rgp:

KItyEoZ.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yuma acknowledged in his own SMS that he is absorbing and learning from Hanyu sempai, including the correct technique for holding a baby, I mean a stuffed toy, lol!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yuzu called Ghislain to be photographed 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2020 at 5:42 AM, Purple said:

 

Since someone is describing the 'hole in ice' situation, here's a video of it. Hasnt this already been posted in the forum?

 

 

It's only dawning on me now, but does this mean that the preceding skater(s) also had to skate with a hole in the ice? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...