sallycinnamon

[2020] Winter Youth Olympic Games (9-22.01.)

UtaShin, in their first junior season together and Shingo's first season competing in ice dance at all, have earned a FD score that would have put them 6th in the free at Junior Worlds and 18th in the free at SENIOR Worlds. Their FIRST JUNIOR SEASON! They have such great things ahead of them!

Wow, just wow for Utana and Shingo, I already said they will be JWC medal contenders next season, curious how they will do this year. The future looks quite well. If they keep evolving, I hope they can make it to Beijing (I'm not very hopeful for Dai/Kana right now...)

A translation of Shingo’s interview - mantioning Yuzu quite a lot. Oh, and he studies at the same department of Waseda as Yuzu.

Cute YOG experience video summary by Utana:

Team JPN was amazing! Love that they had such a great time, spent it together (+ some lovely Canadians) and were so supportive to each other. That's exactly what YOG is meant to be imo.

3 minutes ago, Fay said:

The Olympic Channel milking it. 

They know what to do :) Frankly, OC does more to promote japenese skaters internationally than their own fed. And they know that's exactly what the audience wants.

2 minutes ago, rubyblue said:

They know what to do :) Frankly, OC does more to promote japenese skaters internationally than their own fed. And they know that's exactly what the audience wants.

I don’t mind! UtaShin deserved promoting! :) 

Ok, can I indulge myself in further explaining what Ekaterina Bobrova had to say about UtaShin? First, she pointed out that it’s obvious they are training outside Japan and are absorbing a Canadian way of presentation as they are are much more extroverted and open to their emotions than what we can expect of Japanese dancers. She really was looking forward to seeing Don Quixote as while being a ballet piece, it’s also full of character and temperament, so could have been tricky to do for naturally reserved Japanese skaters, but UtaShin really nailed the programme . She also mentioned their musicality and the composition, good skating skills (those twizzles!). 

The Team event was commentated by another Russian skater Tikhonov, and beside repeating the same stuff he also mentioned how well UtaShin get on and the fact they have chemistry on ice, respect for each and real friendship. He was worried for that first lift though. Zhurankov, our customary commentator, apparently was clueless about how long they skated together. He pointed it out about the American couple that they’ve only been skating for a year, and before they skated with other partners... what about one of the partners coming from singles a year ago?