The Road to Tokyo 2020

sallycinnamon

I think the only option is postpone to 2021, like Euro organisers did. Hopefully everything will be under control by then... I believe Canada and Australia won't be the only ones boycotting otherwise... and there's just no olympic spirit right now.

On the subject of the Olympics, Canada has withdrawn their athletes, and today an IOC member stated they would be postponed likely until 2021. Hopefully Yuzu can be involved with the torch ceremony then?

It’s definitely the right choice, but I feel so awful for the athletes. So many of them train to peak at the Olympics, or plan to retire right after the games, and this will totally throw them off. The podiums at a 2021 Olympics will definitely be different than they would’ve been at 2020.

14 hours ago, Paskud said:

Is it another IOC decision not consulted with JOC?

Seems so. I feel there is lot of pressure from USA (and making sure other national olympic committees, namely Canada and Australia agree with them). US Olympic Committee didn't want to say it out directly but they sent the message through two of their biggest federations, athletics and swimming. They announce it very early (through none other than a Canadian IOC member) in USA Today Sports, telling Brennan. Surprise, surprise. 

Here's the bad news I think most of us were expecting.  The Olympics are off for this year.  No specific time has been stated as to when they might occur.  Nor is it certain if they are undertaken that it be in Tokyo.  One person remarked that if Japan didn't feel up to making due with a rescheduled Olympics that Los Angeles might be the place although it's scheduled to host the 2028 games.  Right now there are far more questions than answer.  I think we can also assume that basically competitive sports across the board are going to be casualties this year.  

23 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

Seems so. I feel there is lot of pressure from USA (and making sure other national olympic federations, namely Canada and Australia agree with them). US Olympic Committee didn't want to say it out directly but they sent the message through two of their biggest federations, athletics and swimming. They announce it very early (through none other than a Canadian IOC member) in USA Today Sports, telling Brennan. Surprise, surprise. 

ISU wish to have this level of subtle manipulation. -___-

Def should postpone. How can athletes train properly right now? And there are so many qualifying events coming soon that cannot take place yet... I understand them hesitating to make this decision, it's a massive event in time/money etc.,  and everyone looks forward to it,  but until this is under control it doesn't seem appropriate. Olympics should be a celebration, at least theoretically, and there isnt much celebrating going on right now.

• yuzuangel featured and unfeatured this topic
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...