The Road to Tokyo 2020

sallycinnamon

• 3 weeks later...

From today, I think: https://www.olympic.org/news/communique-from-the-international-olympic-committee-ioc-regarding-the-olympic-games-tokyo-2020

"The IOC remains fully committed to the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020, and with more than four months to go before the Games there is no need for any drastic decisions at this stage; and any speculation at this moment would be counter-productive"

looks like they are waiting until the last minute

On 3/18/2020 at 12:54 AM, cereus said:

From today, I think: https://www.olympic.org/news/communique-from-the-international-olympic-committee-ioc-regarding-the-olympic-games-tokyo-2020

"The IOC remains fully committed to the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020, and with more than four months to go before the Games there is no need for any drastic decisions at this stage; and any speculation at this moment would be counter-productive"

looks like they are waiting until the last minute

ugh maybe it'll be cancelled last minute like Worlds for .....  insurance/liability reasons

hope not 🙏

Olympic Flame arrived in Matsushima, Miyagi, it was delivered to Sendai after that. I admit I had mixed feeling when I watched the ceremony live on TV yesterday. Reading coming statements of IOC and other sports organizations around the world, I've started feeling like the event would be postponed. 

6 hours ago, yude said:

Olympic Flame arrived in Matsushima, Miyagi, it was delivered to Sendai after that. I admit I had mixed feeling when I watched the ceremony live on TV yesterday. Reading coming statements of IOC and other sports organizations around the world, I've started feeling like the event would be postponed. 

I have read mixed opinions from different national olympic committees, some think there's still a lot of time until the end of July and the Olympics shouldn't be postponed or cancelled while some others think the Games should be at least postponed.

Postponement (to another year) has never happened in the history of modern Olympics, it was cancelled a few times though.

11 時間前, sallycinnamonさんが言いました:

I have read mixed opinions from different national olympic committees, some think there's still a lot of time until the end of July and the Olympics shouldn't be postponed or cancelled while some others think the Games should be at least postponed.

Postponement (to another year) has never happened in the history of modern Olympics, it was cancelled a few times though.

Yes, I wonder if this Tokyo Olympics is going to be the first example of postponing another year. A former member of JOC mentioned there was also possibility of two year delay since Summer Olympics and Winter Olympics had been held in the same year before. But in that case, I think deciding the athletes to compete will be very hard since every sport scene will be changing in two years (even one year can make difference IMO). As a citizen of Japan and one of Olympics fans, I hope it won't be cancelled considering of the athletes who have worked so hard for this, and also people who made a lot of effort spending 7 years (especially the construction industry, they rebuild many venues and even made new train stations as other host country did). However, the health of everyone and athletes' situations are the most important. So, postponing one year might be the best option so that the world and the athletes are able to have proper preparation for the event. But I know I have to be ready to accept any decision by them.

I had been selected to be a volunteer but I cancelled my participation because this would have required my travelling back to Japan for training.   In any case, I seriously doubt that the Olympics can proceed on schedule.   Right now Abe administration is keeping up the front of business as usual, which is not an evidence-based approach to decision making, and it's causing a lot of confusion.  IOC is also dithering - but they have at least set a deadline for decision for mid April. 

There must be a lot of scrambling in the background to figure out an alternative approach.  IOC's Bach seems to have honed his management skills from the 1950s: he is not transparent and does not share any of his decision making with the principals.  For example, Bach announced his decision to move the Marathon event from Tokyo to Sapporo - no one in Japan knew about it until his announcement in the media, even JOC and the Tokyo Governor were kept in the dark.   After announcing last week that the Olympics will go on as scheduled, Bach said in an interview a few days ago that he is considering "alternatives", about which JOC seems to be unaware?  

2 hours ago, Umebachi said:

For example, Bach announced his decision to move the Marathon event from Tokyo to Sapporo - no one in Japan knew about it until his announcement in the media, even JOC and the Tokyo Governor were kept in the dark.   After announcing last week that the Olympics will go on as scheduled, Bach said in an interview a few days ago that he is considering "alternatives", about which JOC seems to be unaware?  

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

How is this even possible?

Previous posts touched on this already but

The International Olympic Committee said Sunday it will study various operational plans for the Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics amid the coronavirus pandemic, including the possibility of postponing the events.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2020/03/85cb5d94afbd-coronavirus-outbreak-latest-march-23-2020.html

I get a headache just reading this. Can't imaging how IOC and the Japan government are dealing with this.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sport/postponing-the-olympic-games-it-s-complicated-12567348

I'm not even sure postponement by a few months will work based on the infection rate now (but if it doesn't, it means the coronavirus will affect next skating season too :ohno:). 

• yuzuangel featured and unfeatured this topic