General Yuzuru Chat

4 minutes ago, hananistellata said:

グダグダ

I wonder if 'Dilly-dally' is the best translation. If it's recent Japanese slang from the internet,  there might not really be a good English equivalent. But the English word 'dilly-dally' has been around forever.

1 hour ago, hananistellata said:

I tried looking in the glossary and I couldn't find anything so I can't help but ask this question... what is a sparkly ruffle? My rank just changed into that and I'm a little confused. 

As I understand it, it's a part of the costume, like a fold of the material which is added for asthetic reasons, not directly following the shape of the body. And sparkly means glittering like most of Yuzu's costumes do because of the rhinestones.

Otonal 2.0 costume has many ruffles, also that collar is made of ruffles.

1 hour ago, hananistellata said:

I tried looking in the glossary and I couldn't find anything so I can't help but ask this question... what is a sparkly ruffle? My rank just changed into that and I'm a little confused. 

As a Sparkly Ruffle myself, I take it as a celebration of Yuzu’s fearlessness in costume choices. Unlike some male skaters, who are bound by conventional gender expectations, he’s not afraid to wear sparkles and ruffles if they fit the mood of the program. 
:clapclap4:

4 hours ago, hananistellata said:

Yuzu étant gentil avec Pooh-san. :l'amour:

Je pense " savoir et me souvenir " ? d'où vient cette photo , car il est seul à la pratique du GPF 2019 à Turin , Brian n'est pas présent et Gislain est coincé pour une histoire de passeport perdu / volé ? :shrug: et se rabat avec son :dpooh:  et voilà  son SP seul au kiss and crie , mais pour son FS Gislain est présent et là aussi , il a un costume scintillant et c'est clair qu'il est pratiquement le seul d'oser mettre des strass / plumes /sakura / couleur / volant :yuzupout:    et , en plus , son côté androgyne :img_21:

6 hours ago, hananistellata said:

"Ruffle is a decorative frill of lace or gathered ornamentation of fabric, often used to trim or embellish the wrist or neck. A strip of fabric, when gathered or pleated, will create a frill that adds a ruffled line to a garment's straight edge. Think of the lace ruffles worn by Henry VIII or the Victorians. Today, you'll find them in high fashion and haute couture."

https://www.businessoffashion.com/education/fashion-az/ruffle

Hence, a sparkly ruffle would a ruffle with sparkles. Definitely Yuzuesque.

The internet or SNS slang we are talking about is not the dilly-dally グダグダ part but the LOL 草 part. 草 means grass or weed, which represents “w” you may have seen in Japanese tweets like “www”, which was originally a shortened version of “warai” meaning 笑い “laugh“ in Japanese. People started to call www 草 because it looks like grass.

7 minutes ago, Lily* said:

The internet or SNS slang we are talking about is not the dilly-dally グダグダ part but the LOL  part.  means grass or weed, which represents “w” you may have seen in Japanese tweets like “www”, which was originally a shortened version of “warai” meaning 笑い “laugh“ in Japanese. People started to call www  because it looks like grass.

Yes I was wondering about that, thanks!  グダグダ(Gudaguda)is not a new term nor specific to SNS.  The meaning is not quite dilly-dallying (which implies some playfulness) - I think it's closer to:  slow, sluggish, dithering without a clear direction.   I see the term being these days to describe the Covid vaccination program in Japan - really グダグダ!

4 hours ago, Lily* said:

LOL 草 part

I thought this has been a slang for quite some time now as I've seen it a round for a while.

This seems to be a sport commentary section that veered towards Yuzu and his admirable sportsmanship when talking about doing conferences after a competition. If someone has better context please help me clarify. Thank you!

1 hour ago, amylance1215 said:

I thought this has been a slang for quite some time now as I've seen it a round for a while.

This seems to be a sport commentary section that veered towards Yuzu and his admirable sportsmanship when talking about doing conferences after a competition. If someone has better context please help me clarify. Thank you!

-_____-

I don't like when anything from 2019 is used as a good and healthy mindset after competition. Especially harsh criticism on himself and over-praising competitors. It's not good.

41 minutes ago, Paskud said:

-_____-

I don't like when anything from 2019 is used as a good and healthy mindset after competition. Especially harsh criticism on himself and over-praising competitors. It's not good.

Well I think this is already after he got back into the more stable mentality of going back to his root, why he loves skating, and just skating for himself,  and not for the scores or medals anymore. Yuzu always says he has areas to improve, regardless of whether he wins or not if he's not satisfied with his performances. And he focuses on and acknowledges his competitors's strengths, he just doesn't air out their weaknesses, which I'm sure he also learns from. That's how he keeps getting better when no one thought that was even possible.

I agree there were periods where the self criticisms came from or lead to self doubts, it was a vicious cycle. But he broke himself out of it by the end of JNats 2019 with that majestic return of Seimei (arguably my most fave Seimei performance, completed with backward crossrolls). So I think he was getting to a better place already then.

It was heartbreaking to see all his interviews during that period, but from then he became much more introspective and returned to his own joy of skating without letting external forces tarnish it. It was a difficult journey, and he overcame it to become a better person, a better athlete. I'm not saying any of this should have happened at all. It's just that life is unfair and the only thing you can control is your own attitude and reactions toward it. For that maturity and resilience, I admire him.  

4 minutes ago, Yuzurella said:

Ekaterina talks about communicating with Yuzu here. She's such a sweetheart! :201111231756430f6:

I remember feeling very emotional after reading this interview, thinking how hard it must be for Yuzu alone after a bad training, without the usual support from Javi. Then I remember how he said he couldn't do this without Javi when Javi said he would be retiring before the VC at PC :tumblr_m9gcvqToXY1qzckow:

Ekaterina is such a kind and sweet girl, so empathetic and full of emotions, and it shows in her skating, which I love. I hope she'd have a great Oly season~~