3 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

But you wouldn't necessarily have used 'purin' or 'pudding' to refer to something like these, would you? That's what I'm trying to figure out:

Here is a website that gives a fairly comprehensive history of "purin" arriving in Japan (19th c "Podding") plus modern variations (which include some of your examples) and the detailed step-by-step recipe for making the Japanese "purin".  It's in Japanese but I think google can translate well enough? 

https://www.glico.com/nutrition/tabemono/food/25/index.html

[NEWS]

Since this is turning a bit off topic, let me make amends by sharing the SBS Uchimura Kohei and Hanyu Yuzuru.  Two purin princes in motion.

It's a bit out of topic but I believe the English way of calling all desserts pudding, may come from the fact that before "contemporary" (Victorian) kitchens, the only elaborate desserts a "normal upper class family" (other than royals and people of rank/upper-upper-gentry with enormous kitchens with real baking ovens) could make, were "puddings", that is, either more or less fluid creams, custards... and cakes which can "bake" in a mould in a normal cooking chimney. What we French call "entremets" (which could be translated by "between courses" because it dates from times when meals were served by "courses" in upper society, that is the table covered with dishes in which people could help themselves, but sherbets were also in this category for instance). It included the famous jam puddings and other plum puddings.

Meanwhile in France, until the end of XVIIth Century desserts were called "le fruit" (though fruits were a mere part of it) and epistolary genius Madame de Sévigné would complain that upper middle class were calling it "dessert" (meaning "table clearing"). Her complains were not attended to.

7 hours ago, amylance1215 said:

Beautiful and thoughtful Greek commentary on Hana wa Saku Worlds 2021 :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

This person subbed quite a few Yuzu's Greek commentated comp videos. The commentator has always been very respectful and showered him with praises. 

Omg Mr. Kostalas!! He has been commentating figure skating ever since it first came on national Greek TV. He truly apreciates Yuzuru quite a lot.

4 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

But you wouldn't necessarily have used 'purin' or 'pudding' to refer to something like these, would you? That's what I'm trying to figure out:

https://www.snackpack.com/flavorful-favorites/chocolate

https://www.birdscustard.co.uk/

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/263342/homemade-baked-egg-custard/

I also don't quite understand the English way of using 'pudding' to refer to the dessert course in general - although I do enjoy homemade plum pudding at Christmas. :)

Pudding is just generic for the sweet course at the end of the meal.  It can be anything; not necessarily what we know as "pudding". It's just the final course, and started to be, basically, sweet by the end of the 1700's (when meat ceased being the primary ingredient).  Custard has a different history, though I certainly consider it pudding.

1 hour ago, liv said:

As soon as I heard Carol say she didn't care what it was about, I knew the knives would be out for her because people would take it too literally. To many it sounded as if she really didn't care what it was about... when in reality she means it's so beautiful to watch that she didn't need to know what it was about to appreciate its beauty anyway. It was beautiful no matter what. This was actually a compliment. I"m sure if she knew what this program was about she never would have said that.

Well, this is exactly what the twitverse is complaining about. They're of the opinion that the necessary info is only a Google away, so why not do the research beforehand? Among other things. 

Anyway the Planet has a rule against bringing drama from other forums and platforms into this space, so I'm just going to stick to it as one example of @Henni147's category 4 people and leave it at that. 

@Henni147 I can see why people misconstrue Kurt's commentary from time to time, but as someone who's grown up listening to him, it's pretty clear to me that no matter how much his foot is jammed in his mouth at times, he always has good intentions. He's not deliberately trying to be insulting at any point (unlike JW for example), even though sometimes it does come out sounding like it. 

All I'm saying is, no matter how complimentary the CBC crew try to be about Yuzu, there's always someone waiting to jump on the things they get wrong. I don't know why that is, but there you go. 

1 hour ago, Umebachi said:

Here is a website that gives a fairly comprehensive history of "purin" arriving in Japan (19th c "Podding") plus modern variations (which include some of your examples) and the detailed step-by-step recipe for making the Japanese "purin".  It's in Japanese but I think google can translate well enough? 

https://www.glico.com/nutrition/tabemono/food/25/index.html

ooh, Thank you! :clapclap4:

21 hours ago, Umebachi said:

This may be old news and might have already been posted here before the Worlds.  ICYMI, here is the TV program S-park (Mar 21 2021) where Yuzu talks about his admiration for Uchimura Kohei, starting around 3:07 mark on the vimeo video (attached to the thread).   He is impressed and inspired by Uchimura pushing himself at age 31 and learning to perform the H-level ("Bretschneider") move - a release with two flips and two twists in the tucked position - on the horizontal bar.   Perhaps not quite the level of quad axel in FS, but it is considered the most difficult release on the horizontal bar.  

Yay maybe another 5 years of Yuzu in competition then!!?!  31 yr old Yuzuru OMG I cant wait to see him...where are the 2026 Olympics again?? 

3 minutes ago, Pammi said:

where Yuzu talks about his admiration for Uchimura Kohei,

I have seen Uchimura talk about Yuzu and realised he was a famous sports person in Japan but that is all i knew.

Just reading the Wikipedia article for Uchimura: It's like reading the article for Yuzu - Multiple gold medalist, GOAT, best of the best, multiple world record holder, does difficult things, older than most, always challenging himself (and not bad to look at)

No wonder Yuzu admires Uchimura. They are each other's Yin and Yang. I dare say that Yuzu sees so much of himself in Uchimura and relates to him thus as Uchimura is probably one of only a handful of people in the world that might "get" Yuzu.

1 hour ago, Pammi said:

Yay maybe another 5 years of Yuzu in competition then!!?!  31 yr old Yuzuru OMG I cant wait to see him...where are the 2026 Olympics again?? 

Well, Yuzu’s idol, Evgeni Plushenko, was 31 when he competed at the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics… Milano Cortina 2026 – The first quadruple consecutive Olympic gold medalist in figure skating? First the quad Axel and then the quad Olympic gold medal… We can dream.