General Yuzuru Chat

23 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

As regards the content of H&E: on first watch, I also thought that Yuzu wasn't doing as much in the program as we're used to seeing him do. I don't want to use the term 'empty' , but there is definitely space in it. Breathing room. 

After reading what others have said about this and reflecting on it, I think the reason why it looks kind of sparse might be because, for the last umpteen seasons, Yuzu has been using programs that are absolutely packed to the brim with SO MUCH stuff that they're literally breathless. Origin had him doing something literally every beat of the music. 4CC Seimei was a jam-packed 4min 30sec program condensed down to an even more dense 4min. Even H&L is full. 

Yuzu hasn't done a free skate program with breathing room in it for a long, long time. It doesn't mean the program is lacking in any way. It just means there's space in it. 

I think that it's a good thing. It will result in cleaner jumps and more competitive performances. He doesn't get rewarded for doing extra anyway.

1 hour ago, Paskud said:

I wonder if I watched different performances than you.:huh:

I am the first one to admit I still have problems naming steps and counting spin especially without slow-mo, but I too wonder if I had imagined all the content in Zuzu’s Tentochito (and LMEY, but this program seems to have better acceptance and appreciation).

48 minutes ago, yuzupon said:

I am the first one to admit I still have problems naming steps and counting spin especially without slow-mo, but I too wonder if I had imagined all the content in Zuzu’s Tentochito (and LMEY, but this program seems to have better acceptance and appreciation).

To be clear: I do believe that the quantity of advanced transitions was a bit higher in Origin. He literally had three full sequences in that program, receiving 0 points for the second one (which started after the 4T+1Eu+3F).

However, I think the precision and quality of his edges, steps, turns and one-foot skating levels Origin already (maybe not the SC performance and the COR StSq was very strong, too, but pretty much every other version). And I strongly believe that H&E will surpass SC Origin in SS and TR quality after 2-3 more competitions, maybe in the next one already.

EDIT:

About LMEY: everything after the 3A is gold. The first half, for me, feels less polished than H&E at this point (in terms of SS and TR). However, if I think of LGC at ACI 2016, LMEY is far ahead.

And we must not forget: both programs, LMEY and H&E, will probably undergo a Tracy-monitoring, sooner or later.

32 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

To be clear: I do believe that the quantity of advanced transitions was a bit higher in Origin. He literally had three full sequences in that program, receiving 0 points for the second one (which started after the 4T+1Eu+3F).

However, I think the precision and quality of his edges, steps, turns and one-foot skating levels Origin already (maybe not the SC performance and the COR StSq was very strong, too, but pretty much every other version). And I strongly believe that H&E will surpass SC Origin in SS and TR quality after 2-3 more competitions, maybe in the next one already.

I do not have the time and energy to make direct comparison between Origin and Tentochito in terms of actual steps done between components, etc., etc.. 

But this is what I understand: Tentochito is a profoundly different program from Origin, and as Yuzuru Hanyu's programs, that means they require different kinds of component composition.

I dislike the Russian girls' transitions-flooded programs that do not make good compositions because those numerous transitions often do not fit the music at all, they are included (other than bcz the choreographer just doesn't have taste) mostly because that is the only way to show what (little) skating skills those girls have. Yuzuru's programs have always managed to strike a good balance between showing off his skating skills, without drowning the program with unnecessary transitions.

You said it yourself that one of the sequences in Origin is of 0 value competition wise. Zuzu included it in anyway bcz Origin the program requires it. Tentochito does not. Perhaps you and other fans who are still unsatisfied or expecting more in Tentochito do have an idea of what and where he could include more, but I don't. I admit I don't have any choreographing skills whatsoever. But as I see it, perhaps he could (and probably would) add one or two small clusters of steps here and there, but adding another full sequence to Tentochito would only bogged down the program. Unnecessarily.

17 minutes ago, yuzupon said:

perhaps he could (and probably would) add one or two small clusters of steps here and there, but adding another full sequence to Tentochito would only bogged down the program. Unnecessarily.

100% agree with this. I am totally satisfied with the H&E choreo as it is. It fits the music an doesn't need more.

What I'm talking about is the polishment and fine-tuning of his skating. The part that casual viewers mostly don't recognize. And I'm confident that Yuzu will do this until the next competitions.

I also agree that the Russian girls have transition-overkill in their programs, primarily for the sake of points, less for choreographic purposes, which is regrettable.

For me, personally, it's better to have one excellently executed rocker or bracket in the sequence that perfectly matches the music than having 5 with sloppy quality and random usage.

4 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

As regards the content of H&E: on first watch, I also thought that Yuzu wasn't doing as much in the program as we're used to seeing him do. I don't want to use the term 'empty' , but there is definitely space in it. Breathing room. 

After reading what others have said about this and reflecting on it, I think the reason why it looks kind of sparse might be because, for the last umpteen seasons, Yuzu has been using programs that are absolutely packed to the brim with SO MUCH stuff that they're literally breathless. Origin had him doing something literally every beat of the music. 4CC Seimei was a jam-packed 4min 30sec program condensed down to an even more dense 4min. Even H&L is full. 

Yuzu hasn't done a free skate program with breathing room in it for a long, long time. It doesn't mean the program is lacking in any way. It just means there's space in it. 

I rather see an impression of space, than real space (in the sense of room for something else). Watching it I feel completeness, fulfilment, and I would say, more overall coherence than in Hope & Legacy, maybe precisely thanks to these few well marked pauses. The program is about reflection, so we must be shown what looks like a time of reflection, by the means of showing the state of the hero when he has just finished reflecting — because there is no loss of time, every fraction of second is counted and the flow must be kept. The real full 4D, 3D + time, chiselled as if having even more time and maybe more dimensions. Maybe I'm lacking imagination when I don't know how he could skate it better (except, of course, adding base value with different jumps).

Whereas when I compare Nationals' (clean) LMEY with what he's done with LGC at Worlds (the one little error being so perfectly fixed on-the-spot), and also with his first LGC (and PW) interpretations, I feel more a sense of "work in progress" and I think it may well "rock" a good deal more, either at Worlds if they happen, or next year if this is his Olympic SP, or in shows etc.

Here the third dimension is scarce (just as a skater's program is short) but Lorenzo Ghilberti managed to give it a sense of depth and even of time :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorenzo_Ghiberti#/media/File:Abraham_(Gates_of_Paradise)_01.JPG

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Lorenzo_ghiberti,_porta_del_paradiso,_1425-52,_06_giuseppe.JPG

I think I watched a different program than many people. I found this H/E program to actually be more interesting and full choreographically than his previous programs (other than Origin which was packed like sardines with stuff). Neither Seimei nor H/L were any more intricate than this one... but that's just my observation.

Ok, so, here I am again, trying to phrase my opinions differently: 

- TR: H&E at Nats was already filled with them. They were also reasonably distributed. He can't not have empty programs. Ever. However, there will be twitches as he finetunes the program (and upgrades the jump layout).

- CO: Beautiful as was, but will be twitched for the same reason above to suit the new version, also including upgraded and more polished choreo

- IN: Right up there with the best ver of Seimei and H&L already (which is so scary because Nats was only the first comp like what???). I feel H&E is his most difficult FP to interpret to date and he did it splendidly.

- PE: I love what I saw. 

- Spins: Will definitely be worked on lol

- Jumps: Will be polished even further and upgraded. 

- SS: Will smooth out the little rough parts, like hopped clusters or unclear turns (I can't remember which mistake he made) which resulted in level 3 StSq, etc.

I always wanted to watch 4.5-minute version of Origin.  Yes, it was so packed and had some feeling of having left something always.

H&E is a perfection as a 4-minute program, even if it does not have difficult elements compared to other programs or skaters.

He might change some elements going forward, but Yuzuru seems to have decided to take his own direction.  If he wants to add 4A in the future, he has to give up something in a 4-minute program.  I think he is now in the midst of experiments towards his ideal.

By the way, today's Figure Skate TV is from 5 pm Japan Time.  The broadcasting day and time of this program keep changing every month :panic:

https://www.bsfuji.tv/figuretv/pub/index.html

I really hope they will show us unaired scenes from the Nationals if any, but maybe we should not expect many :birgits-tired-coffee-smiley-face: