Planet Hanyu Staff

General Yuzuru Chat

38 minutes ago, river said:

If he were to skate this now, there would be riots. You know what the crush for seats at ACI is like, and that's just for a spot in an small venue that has no bad seats. Can you imagine what would happen if Yuzu's sweaty, freshly-skated-in-and-then-autographed shirt went flying into a crowd these days? :crazyshit: (I'm saying this like I wouldn't be in the fray. We all know I'd be shamelessly elbowing people out of the way, provided I wasn't still unconscious from the effects of an all-grown-up HILY...)

But like... do the trashbag pants even fit now? Inquiring minds want to know...

There's a reason he does stuff like the towel tease, (you know the one, from FaOI, when he pretended he would toss his face towel into the audience), rather than actually throw stuff. 

Of course the pants still fit. Remember CiONTU? He fit into all those old costumes. However, I'm sure they're a lot less baggy now, he's put on so much muscle.

2 minutes ago, Veveco said:

Depends on how the "bulking for 4A" is going :D

I thought that was only his upper body.

3 hours ago, Melodie said:

I have. Not just fans of Yuzu but also fans of certain other skaters. Like they are just so, what's the word, condescending? And some are frankly delusional and full of double standard as well.

The thing is, yes, Yuzu does have a lunatic fringe in his fandom. So does every other major skater and pretty much every other fandom, whether sporting, media or whatever. And in my experience most tend to be more or less the same percentage of the whole (with some exceptions, of course)

But Yuzu is so popular that his lunatic fringe alone is bigger than any other male skater's whole fandom.  Even Shoma and Takahashi, and definitely more than say Patrick or Nathan or Boyang.  What the naysayers don't like to acknowledge is that the good and wellbehaved and appreciative percentage of Yuzuru's fan body is way way more huge than pretty much anyone's this millenium except Yuna: that without them, the men would all be skating in emptier rinks and all to far less cheering and applause.  The commentators have noted quite often that the Japanese fans are there for Yuzu - and Shoma - but cheer the rest with way more enthusiasm than most other group could manage (witness the Russian fans at Sochi)

Also... to put it bluntly - the taste of the sour grapes must be unpleasant for them.

3 hours ago, river said:

If he were to skate this now, there would be riots. You know what the crush for seats at ACI is like, and that's just for a spot in an small venue that has no bad seats. Can you imagine what would happen if Yuzu's sweaty, freshly-skated-in-and-then-autographed shirt went flying into a crowd these days? :crazyshit: (I'm saying this like I wouldn't be in the fray. We all know I'd be shamelessly elbowing people out of the way, provided I wasn't still unconscious from the effects of an all-grown-up HILY...)

But like... do the trashbag pants even fit now? Inquiring minds want to know...

Let’s not forget that a 20-year-old Yuzu did reprise “Hello, I Love You” at the 2015 Fantasy on Ice in Shizuoka, including tossing his sweat soaked T-shirt into the audience.

59 minutes ago, Geo1 said:

Let’s not forget that a 20-year-old Yuzu did reprise “Hello, I Love You” at the 2015 Fantasy on Ice in Shizuoka, including tossing his sweat soaked T-shirt into the audience.

I had forgotten. Bless you for reminding me. 

Looks like he updated the choreo for this version. 

And we can clearly see that the trashbag pants have become more, uh, ...tailored... in fit. :coolio:

1 hour ago, Geo1 said:

Oh, trust me, this is the HILY performance I’m referencing any time I talk about how much I like this program. I found the video on a Youtube search one day not long after PC (thinking “hey, I liked that guy who won! I wonder what other programs he’s done...”) and it had an embarrassingly large part to play in me becoming a Yuzu fan. I was shocked that this is the same skater that gave us Ballade.

If I understand correctly,  TV Asahi will broadcast some old JGP on Saturday. Hi, baby mushroom. 

2 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I had forgotten. Bless you for reminding me. 

Looks like he updated the choreo for this version. 

And we can clearly see that the trashbag pants have become more, uh, ...tailored... in fit. :coolio:

How did he even get into those pants?  (Or out of them, for that matter?) My mother would have said that they look painted on or that he was "poured" into them.  At least that's how she described me in tight pants. And to think this is the same guy who gave us Chopin.  Wow.

Does anyone have the infamous clip where Shoma falls asleep and Yuzuru kinda glares/stares at him? Vague, I know, but I lost my saved copy of it 😭

21 minutes ago, barbara said:

How did he even get into those pants?  (Or out of them, for that matter?) My mother would have said that they look painted on or that he was "poured" into them.  At least that's how she described me in tight pants. And to think this is the same guy who gave us Chopin.  Wow.

No, no, no, they fit exactly correctly. If he was 'poured into them', he wouldn't be able to move in them.

At least, that's what I always thought 'poured into' meant - so tight that moving is impossible and/or risks splitting a seam. 

16 hours ago, TallyT said:

The thing is, yes, Yuzu does have a lunatic fringe in his fandom. So does every other major skater and pretty much every other fandom, whether sporting, media or whatever. And in my experience most tend to be more or less the same percentage of the whole (with some exceptions, of course)

But Yuzu is so popular that his lunatic fringe alone is bigger than any other male skater's whole fandom.  Even Shoma and Takahashi, and definitely more than say Patrick or Nathan or Boyang.  What the naysayers don't like to acknowledge is that the good and wellbehaved and appreciative percentage of Yuzuru's fan body is way way more huge than pretty much anyone's this millenium except Yuna: that without them, the men would all be skating in emptier rinks and all to far less cheering and applause.  The commentators have noted quite often that the Japanese fans are there for Yuzu - and Shoma - but cheer the rest with way more enthusiasm than most other group could manage (witness the Russian fans at Sochi)

Also... to put it bluntly - the taste of the sour grapes must be unpleasant for them.

Oh I understand that LOL. But still, I also get it when someone say a certain part of the fandom makes them hate the fandom and the skater, because that certain part is just so, so nasty. I was lucky I got to know Yuzu by his skating and not by the fandom (the bad side). For some other skaters, it is unfortunately the other way around. They make me feel so unwelcomed and frankly sometimes stressed. 

2 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

No, no, no, they fit exactly correctly. If he was 'poured into them', he wouldn't be able to move in them.

At least, that's what I always thought 'poured into' meant - so tight that moving is impossible and/or risks splitting a seam. 

I wasn't complaining about the fit. Perfect. There was zero stretch in fabric in the old, olden days when I was being criticized for the fit of my pants.

2 hours ago, Kat said:

Does anyone have the infamous clip where Shoma falls asleep and Yuzuru kinda glares/stares at him? Vague, I know, but I lost my saved copy of it 😭

I'm not sure which clip you're referring to, but it seems to me that Shoma fell asleep with some frequency.

7 hours ago, Veveco said:

If I understand correctly,  TV Asahi will broadcast some old JGP on Saturday. Hi, baby mushroom. 

Who os the kiddie second from the left?

I hope someone will be able to tape it, I am missing Fantasy on Ice already.... :8122879:

13 minutes ago, TallyT said:

Who os the kiddie second from the left?

I hope someone will be able to tape it, I am missing Fantasy on Ice already.... :8122879:

A young Koshiro Shimada?????