Planet Hanyu Staff

General Yuzuru Chat

10 hours ago, ralucutzagy said:

6! :tumblr_inline_n0o1fhfhFY1qid2nw:

Those are not great pictures of 1 and 3 and a particularly good picture of 2. But my favourite is 6.

It was such a Yuzu thing to create a special hairstyle just to be used for Olympic Seimei Day a.k.a. My Second Olympic Gold Medal Day and no other day in his life. I don't think his bangs were ever styled *exactly* like that before or since, even for other Seimeis. Decades from now you could see a picture of him from the neck up with that hair and you would know exactly what the date was. :68468287:

Some info about Origin 1.0 design from Satomi's book:

6 hours ago, Yuzurella said:

The boy's getting really jacked...

Isn't it awesome? :love:

14 hours ago, EternalSpin said:

5!
Seems unpopular opinion:sigh:

I like 5 as well :)

Sorry for the quality but I had a bad connection, here is the new interview Brian Orser had with Skate Oakville https://t.co/LWHHm3p8YA

— Mon (@monbrielle) April 9, 2020

47:58: talks a little about Yuzu's programs as part of his response to a question about his favorite programs

20 hours ago, FlyingCamel said:

Yuzu’s passion and fire is truly one of a kind - so inspirational and motivating!

Conclusion : Yuzu is AMAZING💖🤩😘

52 minutes ago, monchan said:

Yaguchi san's shot by shot of Yuzu's 4A:

Even in quad axel, he keeps his arms position. And what elegance!

I wonder why he doesn’t keep his elbows close to him since that will probably help with rotation speed? Is there a specific reason why he doesn’t do that?

34 minutes ago, FlyingCamel said:

I wonder why he doesn’t keep his elbows close to him since that will probably help with rotation speed? Is there a specific reason why he doesn’t do that?

I think there was an interview somewhere where he said it was more for aesthetic reasons (paraphrased)? Maybe? Perhaps?

Spoiler

It definitely looks better when Yuzu jumps (nevermind these poor souls' faces):

kKnm97L.jpg

jtrtODz.jpg

4HIf9uq.jpg

On 3/20/2020 at 12:58 AM, sweetwater said:

It is Hanyu family's crest. (confirmed in the Sponichi article you mentioned) It looks like Maru ni mitumori Kikkou ni Hanabishi, but since neither Yuzu nor his family has talked about it, there is no way of confirming it.

Patterns of Kikkou and Hanabishi are both very old and have been used in multiple countries. As you wrote, Kikkou is a design based upon turtle shells. In Japan, it has been used since the Asuka era as one of the auspicious patterns because the turtle has been a symbol of long life. Hanabishi has its origin in China. The design is based upon water chestnuts and had been used for clothes and furnishings for aristocrats in the Heian era.

Crests sometimes indicate the roots of the family. However, in the Edo era, one could use whatever crest they liked unless it was used by a samurai of higher rank. Some used existing crests, some arranged them, and some created their own to represent themselves, bring luck to them, etc. So the similarity in crests doesn't necessarily indicate the connection between wearers.

Thank you again for this explanation.

I just noticed that on this photo he wears a wholly different mon!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g298249-d8800098-Reviews-Icerink_Sendai-Sendai_Miyagi_Prefecture_Tohoku.html#photos;aggregationId=101&albumid=101&filter=7&ff=356807366

I can hardly imagine it could be a rented haori. Could it be his mother's mon? Or his club's?

1 hour ago, FlyingCamel said:

I suppose it has smt to do with stabilizing axis rather than aestheticity. Rika has same air position and both got exceptional stable axis (Ms Hamada used to say about the first thing she taught Rika is to keep the axis, not rotate fast), compared with Nathan/Boyang who keep arms close but axis tends to fluctuate.