Planet Hanyu Staff

General Yuzuru Chat

4 hours ago, Geo1 said:

This is definitely the right pronunciation – with a soft G and pronouncing the S. It is pronounced "Jislan" ("Jeeslan"). This is what his wife calls him, so it must be correct!

It's actually nice to know the precise way to pronounce his name. Even with years of French in high school and college, I'd never seen the name at all.  And there really isn't an English equivalent (unlike Guillaume, for instance).  It really has a soft quality to it.

10 hours ago, Veveco said:

Oh, I know, it's just hard to correct myself when I've been calling him the other (wrong) version in my head for so long :xD:

Me too!

I must say, in the two videos send by Geo1, the first one was accurate, not the second one (an anglicized version).

It reminds me when I heard pronounced "Djemawa" on a radio program and, from what they said, it could be nobody else than Chopin's great friend "Grzymala" (in fact with a barred l, I had no notion of Polish pronunciation then). ;-)

And the "ain" in Ghislain" is like "ai" in "air" but nasalized.

9 hours ago, Fay said:

So is she his former coach Nanami Abe? It doesn't look like his mother...:?

No, she is the coach before Mrs. Abe and after Mr. Tzuzuki, I forgot her name, maybe some fellow satellite has a better memory...

7 minutes ago, IULIANA said:

No, she is the coach before Mrs. Abe and after Mr. Tzuzuki, I forgot her name, maybe some fellow satellite has a better memory...

Mami Yamada? Not sure though...

She is Mami Yamada who taughed Yuzu when he first started skating at the age of 4.

She still works as a coach, in Hokkaido. She was in the 24h TV last year, here's a clip with her and Yuzu:

19 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I love his attempt at pronouncing the French 'Ghislain' ...so cute. 

Also speaking of the name Ghislain...

Spoiler

...I was idly searching for the given name Ghislain on Wikipedia, wondering if I would come across something interesting. Turns out that the namesake saint (St. Ghislain) is often portrayed in catholic iconography with a bear/bear cub by his side...and we here on the Planet (and anywhere else...where fanyus gather :coolio:) often called Ghislain papa bear! 🐻

I mean... WHAT ARE THE CHANCES

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Ghislain

@Veveco as a non-native french speaker 😅😅🙈 I sometimes pronounce his name with a hard G 😅, but never with a silent s, with either version of the G pronunciation 😅🙈 though again, always ending it with the nasal N in either pronunciation case.

Now I am not so sure why I share this, considering that it might just be another moot point anyway 😅😫🙈 (mon français est très cassé, hein! 😫😫)

22 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

She is Mami Yamada who taughed Yuzu when he first started skating at the age of 4.

She still works as a coach, in Hokkaido. She was in the 24h TV last year, here's a clip with her and Yuzu:

Was it this same day that one of the kids asked Yuzu about when will he get married and he was having none of it hahaha I remember that cracked me up :LOL:

3 minutes ago, Crow said:

Was it this same day that one of the kids asked Yuzu about when will he get married and he was having none of it hahaha I remember that cracked me up :LOL:

ooh, I missed that one, wheeere can I see it? 

3 minutes ago, rubyblue said:

ooh, I missed that one, wheeere can I see it? 

Found it, different day seems/ Still very funny :10814716:

1 minute ago, Crow said:

Found it, different day seems/ Still very funny :10814716:

thank you! haha, I love saucy kids 

The one with the kid asking when he'll marry was in 2016 and it actually always makes me cringe. It was right after tabloids ran a story that supposedly Yuzu was going to marry a former classmate and it seems the rumor spread so much even kids heard about it and asked him about it... or at least I think the timing of that question at that time is too on point to be a coincidence. Yuzu was really mad about that rumor and it upset him a lot, so any reminder of it is :dislike: for me.

To me it seemed like he took it with good humor! I mean, it is a kid asking I doubt he would get mad at that. But who knows.