2 hours ago, quadaxelwin said:

The issue of HPB song is not about standing out. It's about the possibility of distracting the next skater warming up during kiss and cry.

Yuzu wants to stand out but is equally sensitive to how the next skater feels. 

Their discomfort is the same as his discomfort. 

That's why he always makes gestures to the crowd to calm down for the next skater during kiss and cry. He did this for Nam at Skate Canada after his free skate. 

Agree 100 percent with this.

I won’t be there in person, but I hope people at least don’t sing the song when the next skater is already on the ice.  If Yuzu is the last skater then perhaps it’s okay, but then it would still depend on whether Yuzu has had a good skate or not.

Since this “argument” amongst fans are all over Twitter now, I think Yuzu may already be aware about all of this and it may be upsetting him already....I certainly hope that’s not the case but we all know that he lurks.

Maybe someone can DM a TCC member (Tracy?  Brian?  I think they have Instagram account?) and see if they can give us some insight into what Yuzu wants?  At least if we get an answer, then we can ensure that we won’t unintentionally make Yuzu upset or embarrassed or whatever.  I am not sure if asking them is feasible or appropriate, but just throwing this idea out there and see if people think it’s good idea or not.

We all just want what’s best for Yuzu.

everyone should read this entire thread of tweets. this person brings up really good points...

on another note, it makes me uncomfortable when people act like they know what's on Yuzuru's mind or what he thinks about these things. none of us do, but he's only expressed positive thoughts about his fans cheering for him.

Now I'm imagining Yuzu (or his mom) dealing with all the issues that arise with being Asian (especially with a foreign accent) in North America and it's kind of pissing me off :13877886:Like hearing a pair of old ladies just assuming I was a Chinese exchange student who didn't understand English very well and having a very audible conversation about me on the basis of this assumption, all because I was wearing a backpack on a bus headed in the direction of a university (this happened at GPF last year). No, I'm an American tourist who's here to see a figure skating competition, thank you very much. Or all the people who are rude or condescending to you for no reason--which tends to be even worse if you have a foreign accent, which is something that becomes really obvious once you see how people treat your foreign-accented parents. :judgmental:

anyway, off topic

I think some people are making this issue more complicated than necessary. It's not about assuming someone's personality based on their nationality or culture. When you can't ask him directly, assumption is all we have. In this case, it's called consideration. And it's not just based on the culture but also on his past behaviors. The question is simple. When you have enough reasons to assume that he might not like it, are you still willing to risk it? And for what? I'm not against singing itself if it's not during the competition.

7 minutes ago, Lily* said:

I think some people are making this issue more complicated than necessary. It's not about assuming someone's personality based on their nationality or culture. When you can't ask him directly, assumption is all we have. In this case, it's called consideration. And it's not just based on the culture but also on his past behaviors. The question is simple. When you have enough reasons to assume that he might not like it, are you still willing to risk it? And for what? I'm not against singing itself if it's not during the competition.

I think at this point we've all agreed that during the competition would be a bad idea.

2 minutes ago, Lily* said:

I'm not against singing itself if it's not during the competition.

Exactly!  This is what I was trying to get across.  After practice or gala or victory ceremony is fine, just not during competition because it may distract other skaters.  We have all seen Yuzu pointing to the next skater who has already stepped on the ice and gesturing to fans to stop cheering for himself.

This has nothing to do with culture, not allowing fans to show love for Yuzu (or fans “policing” other fans) or thinking that Yuzu can’t handle 10 seconds of birthday song.  It’s purely to be considerate to the next skater who may be trying to concentrate before starting his FS.

26 minutes ago, shanshani said:

Now I'm imagining Yuzu (or his mom) dealing with all the issues that arise with being Asian (especially with a foreign accent) in North America

Not just a foreign accent, but very little English at all (at least when he first came). On the other hand, Toronto is a city where more than half the residents come from somewhere else and more than 150 languages are spoken. There's just as high a chance they'd walk into a shop and be served by someone who also doesn't speak English, or Japanese,  but is from some other part of the globe entirely. 

12 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Not just a foreign accent, but very little English at all (at least when he first came). On the other hand, Toronto is a city where more than half the residents come from somewhere else and more than 150 languages are spoken. There's just as high a chance they'd walk into a shop and be served by someone who also doesn't speak English, or Japanese,  but is from some other part of the globe entirely. 

That's true, I found Toronto to be pretty good in the short times I visited, although I did have an uber driver once try to get me to commiserate with him on the influx of Indian immigrants? Super awkward, my parents are immigrants, I'm an immigrant, I'm not going to join you in complaining about immigrants just because I speak English with a North American accent and they're not from my ethnic group, dude. (Let me stop before this veers to much into politics.) But overall, my experiences with Toronto have been good. Vancouver, on the other hand, I found to be full of people who were inexplicably rude, including doing things like assuming Japanese tourists were Chinese and expecting them to speak English even though they were just tourists...it's baffling, they're in the same country! Maybe I was just unlucky.

Anyway, hopefully Yuzu and his mom haven't had to deal much with that stuff.

Once again for those who still think us satellites attending GPF would ever do something to disrupt the competition or would be inconsiderate to other skaters:

WE ARE SINGING HB AT THE END OF PRACTICE!!!!!

Can we move on now please. While we are discussing this,  US stans are happily tearing Yuzu’s skating apart on Twitter.

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

But why does it matter? They're media, they'll do what they like, and they're not the ones that count under-rotations for the scoring anyway. 

Please explain what role you think 'commentators' play in the competition, that it matters so much. In my world, commentators = broadcast journalists or former skaters  whose job it is to say completely irrelevant things while the video of the skaters plays, that most people ignore. Nothing that they say about URs or anything else actually matters in terms of the scores the skaters get.

The judges and the technical panel matter, because they are looking for URs and all the other things that go into producing a score.

I'm very confused by what you're saying.

I care about what commentators around the world may or may not say after or during the competition about Yuzu's fans singing happy birthday during a live competition. And if it turns out to be a negative comment, Yuzu will be embarrassed at his fans behavior. Because both you and I know singing songs loudly during live competition is not common behavior of any figure skating fans in any discipline: ice dance, pairs, ladies.

Also you cannot deny they are influential people in figure skating. Regardless of the commentator's nationality, what they say does have an impact, especially if it is a negative comment on how some fans misbehave. 

Yuzu watches all his replays with different commentary (he once said so himself) and I don't want him to hear anything negative about his fans from commentators. 

Re B-day, sorry sorry, got it! :doh:

This is a completely different topic in my mind, but I often think Yuzu fits the traditional Japanese stereotype in terms of manners and consideration for others a lot more than most people of our time. He bows to everyone at every occasion, lines up journalists' recorders for them, helps prepare the conference room, straightens up desks and chairs when it's over, tidies up his hotel room before he leaves, treats the national flags carefully, applauds to the fellow skaters on the podium etc... the list goes on and on. Many young people today don’t do these things. Maybe it's the influence of his father, who is a schoolteacher. I'm a type of person who, when abroad, is quick to pick up their language and mannerisms and don't mind eating local food every day, but he's not like that either. It amazes me how his English could still be broken after all these years. (Sorry, Yuzu!) In many other ways though, he doesn’t fit the stereotype. He can be bold, showy and very competitive. It also seems he can be outgoing but doesn’t necessarily like to flock. I guess what I want to say is, he’s a little bit of an odd boll (in a good way) and very special, and I love him for that.

32 minutes ago, Lily* said:

Re B-day, sorry sorry, got it! :doh:

This is a completely different topic in my mind, but I often think Yuzu fits the traditional Japanese stereotype in terms of manners and consideration for others a lot more than most people of our time. He bows to everyone at every occasion, lines up journalists' recorders for them, helps prepare the conference room, straightens up desks and chairs when it's over, tidies up his hotel room before he leaves, treats the national flags carefully, applauds to the fellow skaters on the podium etc... the list goes on and on. Many young people today don’t do these things. Maybe it's the influence of his father, who is a schoolteacher. I'm a type of person who, when abroad, are quick to pick up their language and mannerisms and don't mind eating local food every day, but he's not like that either. It amazes me how his English could still be broken after all these years. (Sorry, Yuzu!) In many other ways though, he doesn’t fit the stereotype. He can be bold, showy and very competitive. It also seems he can be outgoing but doesn’t necessarily like to flock. I guess what I want to say is, he’s a little bit of an odd boll (in a good way) and very special, and I love him for that.

What I wanted to say too. I also noticed he hangs out privately with mostly Japanese skaters (Oda) outside his private schedule such as going to restaurants to eat with them (Oda said he and Yuzu go out to eat during summer whilst Yuzu is in Japan). 

I used to think Yuzu is a bit anti-social because he said he doesn't go out with anyone in Toronto, but then found out, Yuzu does go out with people he feels comfortable with (like Oda).

I hope Nobu will be at the GPF, in his usual role as TV Asahi commentator.  He will bring out the "surprise" Birthday cake and sing HBD at some point during the event - which had become a tradition of sorts in the last few GPFs attended by Yuzu.  This will magically put an end to all the debate about HBD.   I am more concerned about Nobu's well-being and look forward to seeing him reconnect with his good friend and engage in lighthearted Kansai banter - which should lift everyone's spirit!