General Yuzuru Chat

29 minutes ago, micaelis said:

It would probably be better for Yuzu to go to Japan and get things taken care of there.  It'll save the journalists there the expense in time and treasure heading to Toronto.

At this point in his career, it makes zero sense for Yuzuru to interrupt his training and exhaust himself with long-distance travel just so he can accommodate the journalists and make their lives more comfortable. They want to report about him a whole lot more than he needs them to report about him. He's earned his privileges.

14 minutes ago, Pamigena said:

At this point in his career, it makes zero sense for Yuzuru to interrupt his training and exhaust himself with long-distance travel just so he can accommodate the journalists and make their lives more comfortable. They want to report about him a whole lot more than he needs them to report about him. He's earned his privileges.

Besides, I bet it's a fun junket for the reporters. Sure the management might like to streamline their budget and not send them, but for the reporters, it'd be a perk. There used to be a lot of long bitchy faces in newsrooms when people scored junkets because something important happened in their beat and absolutely nothing was happening in yours and you were stuck doing stupid graphs hoping to get a few eyeballs. Going to TCC on Yuzu beat, the dream! (Worst was when you were looking forward to it and it was all but settled and you hear the dreaded words - We got a stringer on site. AAAARRGGH)

17 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

ETA: I think that's not from the exhibition, it's from Madame Tussauds, where you, indeed, can touch the costume, the bracelet and the statue. (When I was there a middle-aged salaryman had a picture taken while crawling on all fours between Yuzu's legs... :8:)

Um…it’s not weird to me. :tumblr_inline_np9uqfzDd81qid2nw_75sq:

From the sharing and pics of fans who visited that Madame Tussauds, some also

- hugged it

- kissed it on its face and lips while holding its head

- touched the whole statue and costume  

- used tape measure to measure and record the size of different body parts  

- let it wear their own necklaces, bracelets or sunglasses and take pics with it. Their accessories become more valuable and precious as they were wore by it.

:rofl::dpooh:

A fan said that even the Japanese staff in that Madame Tussauds encouraged her and visitors to touch / hug the statue.

3 hours ago, BrightonDogwoods said:

I don't know what the Japanese words are but I think it was something like, `Did you see that!` Or `Did you see what I did!`

Someone here on the planet pointed out recently how similar Yuzu's situation was from Worlds 2016 to Olys 2018, with hidden injuries yet nailing the SP, leading everyone to believe he's in good shape, only he knows the disaster that lurks. Even down to the same 2 programs!! Thank god my brain wouldn't let me see the pattern, I surely would have exploded with anxiety! Once again I am in awe of his mental strength, it's super-human 

:13877886:

7 hours ago, Sammie said:

Anyone know what he actually yelled here? 

I always look to me like 

Reveal hidden contents

“HEEY BITCHESs!!” 

:headdesk:

I always thought he yelled "Mita kaa?!!!" here. Which yes translates to "Did you see that?!!" 

That's just what I thought at least. Could be completely different 😅

1 hour ago, WinForPooh said:

Besides, I bet it's a fun junket for the reporters. Sure the management might like to streamline their budget and not send them, but for the reporters, it'd be a perk. There used to be a lot of long bitchy faces in newsrooms when people scored junkets because something important happened in their beat and absolutely nothing was happening in yours and you were stuck doing stupid graphs hoping to get a few eyeballs. Going to TCC on Yuzu beat, the dream! (Worst was when you were looking forward to it and it was all but settled and you hear the dreaded words - We got a stringer on site. AAAARRGGH)

I bet Yuzuru is a dream assignment for some of those journalists and photographers. For figure skating that is

We got a stringer on site

What does it mean, just for reasons...

Isn't it the normal way for journalists to travel to where a story is happening, rather than having the story come to them?

Aside from that, I doubt there is any one journalist in Japan who would say "But, Yuzu-kun, Canada is SO FAR! Can't you come to Japan instead?"

Last year is actually proof enough that even if Yuzu comes to Japan, media day happens in Canada, on his and TCC's terms. Last year media day was on August 8th and 9th and on August 16th he was in Japan. IF he goes to Japan, he'll go for other obligations, but this Off Season he's probably spent more time in Japan than he has in years, so I think he's good for focusing on the season now.

And on the other topic, while I am admittedly a fan of Yuzu and Javi's friendship, so I might not be very objective, I am starting to get annoyed by all the 'Javi's replacement' stuff, both serious discussions and jokes (like those 'replacing Javi with Javi' memes or all the Boyang memes when it was first announced he would go there). Why is it so hard for people to understand that even if the whole FS field moved to TCC, there would be no 'replacing' Javi? What made Yuzu and Javi's friendship special wasn't just that they were rivals pushing each other further. That would have probably happened with anyone even close to Yuzu's level. It's how that didn't really affect anything else and how they continued to support and care for each other, despite that. And the full extent of that happened for the very simple reason of each of them being who they are. Their personalities were just very compatible like that. Something similar can happen with others and I'd be happy if Yuzu continues getting along great with whoever will be his training mates, but Javi is Javi and nobody will replace him. Never mind that he's not even gone yet. He's still going to go to TCC to get ready for Japan Open and Europeans and they'll still meet in the Summer shows and although Javi wants to coach in Spain, he hasn't denied the possibility of coaching in Canada or even Japan.

As for Yuzu needing a rival, IMO, he doesn't anymore. Even Javi wasn't that much of a rival after Boston. The only rival Yuzu needs at this point, is Yuzu himself. Back then, he did need to learn from Javi still, and I'm sure the days when he had a bad day and Javi had a good one were motivating. But now, what he needs to learn he can't really learn from others (4A), though admittedly, watching Boyang's 4Lz up close would have maybe been good for fixing his issues with it. But I'm sure by now he can do it even without that, because he has many more tools available, including his own studies. As for motivating, I'm pretty sure he can do that himself now, too. I suspect he will miss the camaraderie, but that, again, is something that cannot be replaced, just changed. Like, he won't have Javi to make him laugh and relax, but he will have Jason doing it in different ways and maybe Evgenia as well; those two - Jason and Evgenia, I mean - seem to have really hit it off and are quite the fun combo right now, if their instastories are anything to go by. Whether that kind of cheering up will work or not, it remains to be seen.

50 minutes ago, katonice said:

I always thought he yelled "Mita kaa?!!!" here. Which yes translates to "Did you see that?!!" 

That's just what I thought at least. Could be completely different 😅

Yep, that was it. He was REALLY fired up there and that's actually a big part of why I love that performance 😅

51 minutes ago, Msyloves said:

I bet Yuzuru is a dream assignment for some of those journalists and photographers. For figure skating that is

What does it mean, just for reasons...

Really O/T

Stringers are local freelancers or small agencies that can be hired for certain specific events in that place if a bigger newspaper (or any media company) doesn't have a branch or office there. It can be much cheaper than sending a reporter and photographer out to some place, if you can get a reliable person with accreditation that works for that local event, to go and cover it and send you the report that then you edit in-house and publish. Sometimes stringers are useful because they have better local contacts and sources than a strange reporter from another city, and they can work with reporters, too, but usually, when you hear a stringer has been arranged for, it means you're not traveling to the assignment, you'll be getting reports and you'll be trying to put a story together from it. 

Imagine the frustration if that happened when you were about to go to TCC for Yuzu day! 

5 hours ago, TallyT said:

Actually a small and silly part of me would love - after Yuzu retires - for the two of them to be in an ice show together and troll everyone with a version of "Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better..."

Oh, that would be hilarious. From your keyboard into Yuzu's eyes/brain, I hope. It's a concept that would work great with a bunch of his other rivals too 

@micaelis I think all comes down to whether Yuzu feels the need to 'replace' Javi at all. IMO, he most likely doesn't. And while having a training partner can be useful sometimes, it's not a necessity. Also, at this point I think it's pretty clear that 'Team Cricket' really is a team. If people notice that Zu needs something, I have no doubt they'll rally 'round him. 

But I wouldn't put it past Brian to use any one of his skaters as a way to.motivate any other one of his skaters, tbh. Speaking for myself, if I were Zhenya or Gabby Daleman, I'd be all about pushing myself to keep.up with Zu as much as I could.