General Yuzuru Chat

https://www.oricon.co.jp/news/2259149/full/

The 70th Kikuchi Kan Prize presentation ceremony was held at a hotel in Tokyo in early December, which is given to individuals and groups that have made creative achievements in cultural activities such as literature, movies/theater, newspapers, and broadcasting. Award winner Yuzuru Hanyu (27) posted a video message and looked back on his skating life so far.

Yuzuru Hanyu (C) ORICON NewS inc.

View photo page

[Photo] See other photos

In a video message, Hanyu shared his joy and confessed, "Most of my life has been on the road to my dreams. It's been a series of hopes and despairs."

In my daily practice, I had a succession of successes and failures, and I think I had more failure days. In the quadruple jump, there was a period when I was successful or unsuccessful once a month.

He continued, “I achieved my dream of winning back-to-back Olympic titles, but I couldn’t achieve my dream of jumping a quadruple and a half jump at the Olympics. I thought that the days of my efforts up until now were in vain," he confessed frankly.

Hanyu, who has made brilliant achievements, said, "Dreams don't come true. Effort doesn't come true. Only a limited number of people can achieve their dreams even if they work hard. I think there are times when people give up due to social unreasonableness." "My life has been a series of many choices. I don't know if all of those choices were correct. Now that I've made the choice, I don't know if it's correct or wrong." Definitely.

However, "I just want all my choices to have meaning. Even if I fail or get injured due to my choices, I want them to have meaning. Even if you think it doesn't make sense at the time, when you look back, it does." I want to live as if it happened.The challenge continues.I will continue.I think I will be worried about the choices I make in the future, but I will think that there is a future because I made this choice. I will continue to choose," he insisted.

The award was established in 1952 to commemorate the achievements of novelist and founder of Bungeishunju, Kan Kikuchi, in various fields of Japanese culture. The award is given to individuals and groups that have made creative achievements in cultural activities such as literature, movies/theater, newspapers, and broadcasting. This time, in addition to Hanyu, Miyuki Miyabe ,Koki Mitani and others received the award.

(Google translate)

Yuzuru knows in life we make many decisions, and never know if they are the right or wrong ones, they are just decisions. I am sure I was older than 27 when I realised this truth!! (Actually I was the type then to "go with the flow" and maybe was rather impulsive too and didn't give that much thought to the decisions I was making...I wish I had been more thorough and thoughtful as a decision maker in my 20s! I'd certainly have chosen a different career to the one I "chose" in my go-with-the-flow attitude lol!)

This post has been tagged by Yuzu_legend as [NEWS].
1 hour ago, ImmortalBeloved said:

Where can we order those pictures? :confused:

As much as I love Seimei (and I know Yuzu clearly loves it too), I would love to see something different as his "competition-like" program at Hachinohe.

Those pictures are from one of Sekkisei's advertisements, so I'm afraid they can't be ordered, just enjoy the edits by the talented fanyus (I already have a good collection of them :8788161:)

19 minutes ago, Pammi said:

The 70th Kikuchi Kan Prize presentation ceremony was held at a hotel in Tokyo in early December, which is given to individuals and groups that have made creative achievements in cultural activities such as literature, movies/theater, newspapers, and broadcasting. Award winner Yuzuru Hanyu (27) posted a video message and looked back on his skating life so far.

View photo page

[Photo] See other photos

In a video message, Hanyu shared his joy and confessed, "Most of my life has been on the road to my dreams. It's been a series of hopes and despairs."

In my daily practice, I had a succession of successes and failures, and I think I had more failure days. In the quadruple jump, there was a period when I was successful or unsuccessful once a month.

He continued, “I achieved my dream of winning back-to-back Olympic titles, but I couldn’t achieve my dream of jumping a quadruple and a half jump at the Olympics. I thought that the days of my efforts up until now were in vain," he confessed frankly.

Hanyu, who has made brilliant achievements, said, "Dreams don't come true. Effort doesn't come true. Only a limited number of people can achieve their dreams even if they work hard. I think there are times when people give up due to social unreasonableness." "My life has been a series of many choices. I don't know if all of those choices were correct. Now that I've made the choice, I don't know if it's correct or wrong." Definitely.

However, "I just want all my choices to have meaning. Even if I fail or get injured due to my choices, I want them to have meaning. Even if you think it doesn't make sense at the time, when you look back, it does." I want to live as if it happened.The challenge continues.I will continue.I think I will be worried about the choices I make in the future, but I will think that there is a future because I made this choice. I will continue to choose," he insisted.

The award was established in 1952 to commemorate the achievements of novelist and founder of Bungeishunju, Kan Kikuchi, in various fields of Japanese culture. The award is given to individuals and groups that have made creative achievements in cultural activities such as literature, movies/theater, newspapers, and broadcasting. This time, in addition to Hanyu, Miyuki Miyabe ,Koki Mitani and others received the award.

(Google translate)

Yuzuru knows in life we make many decisions, and never know if they are the right or wrong ones, they are just decisions. I am sure I was older than 27 when I realised this truth!! (Actually I was the type then to "go with the flow" and maybe was rather impulsive too and didn't give that much thought to the decisions I was making...I wish I had been more thorough and thoughtful as a decision maker in my 20s! I'd certainly have chosen a different career to the one I "chose" in my go-with-the-flow attitude lol!)

In the age of "if you try hard enough you'll get it" Yuzu's words are smart and refreshing.

Spoiler

In my case, I was always aware of the importance of the decisions I made, so from a very young age I always made my own decisions, taking responsibility for the consequences. What I learned later is that when the result of a decision is not as expected, it does not mean that the result is bad, sometimes the actual result is better than the desired result. Ah, Yuzu awakens my philosophical side lol

45 minutes ago, Pammi said:

View photo page

[Photo] See other photos

(Google translate)

the video message

edit: Lae (@axelsandwich) will do a proper translation later.

I was so busy thinking about Zu bday project that Prologue sneaked on me all of a sudden...how is it already on?:tumblr_inline_mh8pweVDqw1qid2nw::smiley-happy093:

Waiting for updates, I hope he's having fun first and foremost (and healthy!)

43 minutes ago, Pammi said:

View photo page

[Photo] See other photos

(Google translate)

I love this interview and his attitude is..deep. In a way disenchanted, not the 9yo fearless boy who dreamed big and boldly, but he is still one who will keep dreaming, even knowing sometimes things just don't go your way.

"I just want all my choices to have meaning" if I think of his choices as I've been following him these past years -competing in COR18 on freshly sprained ankle, insisting on 4A even in spite of everything, making his skating more complex while ISU rewarded the opposite...all choices that from the outside may have not looked "sensible", heck, he has got so much criticism over it, as if he were some clueless dude unable to think about his own good...but he was thinking about his own good, just it wasn't the kind of "good" that aligned with other people's idea. Every single time, he has been choosing what he wanted to pursue and dealing with the outcome, with his eyes and heart wide open. Of course I wish he only ever had everything going his way, because genuinely good people deserve good things, but reality can be a bitch, and I guess what matters is how to deal with it, not letting bitterness and heartbreak paralyze you 

5 minutes ago, EisElle said:

I was so busy thinking about Zu bday project that Prologue sneaked on me all of a sudden...how is it already on?:tumblr_inline_mh8pweVDqw1qid2nw::smiley-happy093:

Waiting for updates, I hope he's having fun first and foremost (and healthy!)

I love this interview and his attitude is..deep. In a way disenchanted, not the 9yo fearless boy who dreamed big and boldly, but he is still one who will keep dreaming, even knowing sometimes things just don't go your way.

"I just want all my choices to have meaning" if I think of his choices as I've been following him these past years -competing in COR18 on freshly sprained ankle, insisting on 4A even in spite of everything, making his skating more complex while ISU rewarded the opposite...all choices that from the outside may have not looked "sensible", heck, he has got so much criticism over it, as if he were some clueless dude unable to think about his own good...but he was thinking about his own good, just it wasn't the kind of "good" that aligned with other people's idea. Every single time, he has been choosing what he wanted to pursue and dealing with the outcome, with his eyes and heart wide open. Of course I wish he only ever had everything going his way, because genuinely good people deserve good things, but reality can be a bitch, and I guess what matters is how to deal with it, not letting bitterness and heartbreak paralyze you 

The most difficult choices to make are those that don't go with the flow but are the best for yourself. I think Yuzu has always been very self-aware and made his decisions based on his own convictions. That is something to applaud him for. In addition, maintaining the illusion while you go against the current is not easy, you have to have very clear ideas to be able to move forward with a minimum of firmness.

8 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Hi guys, I've been a bit distracted...was Yuzu skating Prologue just now, or is that tomorrow? And is there going to be a broadcast?

It started today and have already finished. The broadcast will be on Monday at CS Asahi Channel 1. Tomorrow will skate too but no broadcast. 

59 minutes ago, Anabel said:

It started today and have already finished. The broadcast will be on Monday at CS Asahi Channel 1. Tomorrow will skate too but no broadcast. 

33 minutes ago, Anni said:

Here is the update from todays show. :67638860:

:68271262:

Thanks! 

Yuzu considers all of his decisions very carefully. Although the dream of 4A is still achievable should Yuzu wish to pursue it, the cost in terms of injury could be devastating. Yuzu said himself in a previous interview that he must be very careful not to risk injury as he is a professional and cannot easily withdraw from a show. f he were to injure himself and was unable to perform that is a huge responsibility. In terms of risk vs reward, imho the 4A is too risky now and this interview as well as the one where Yuzu talked about the state of the ligaments in his feet and ankles, it really is not worth risking health for long term skating career. That dream has come to an end or is at least on hold until techniques to repair very slow healing tissue like ligaments improves.

sounds like a bit of whingeing so apologies

Yuzu fly towards your dreams, they are waiting for you. 

Your fans would carry you there if we could

1 hour ago, Perelandra said:

Yuzu considers all of his decisions very carefully. Although the dream of 4A is still achievable should Yuzu wish to pursue it, the cost in terms of injury could be devastating. Yuzu said himself in a previous interview that he must be very careful not to risk injury as he is a professional and cannot easily withdraw from a show. f he were to injure himself and was unable to perform that is a huge responsibility. In terms of risk vs reward, imho the 4A is too risky now and this interview as well as the one where Yuzu talked about the state of the ligaments in his feet and ankles, it really is not worth risking health for long term skating career. That dream has come to an end or is at least on hold until techniques to repair very slow healing tissue like ligaments improves.

sounds like a bit of whingeing so apologies

Yuzu fly towards your dreams, they are waiting for you. 

Your fans would carry you there if we could

Which interview are you referring to?

But I agree, 4A is quite risky. It seems like he has adopted a new training method for 4A though (he mentioned this after SharePractice). As a fan, I hope I'm not putting pressure on him, but I also wouldn't want to discourage him from attempting 4A if it's something he still wants to do (the video compilation and the leaflet lead me to think that he probably does).

Spoiler

29 minutes ago, YuDai said:

Which interview are you referring to?

But I agree, 4A is quite risky. It seems like he has adopted a new training method for 4A though (he mentioned this after SharePractice). As a fan, I hope I'm not putting pressure on him, but I also wouldn't want to discourage him from attempting 4A if it's something he still wants to do (the video compilation and the leaflet lead me to think that he probably does).

Reveal hidden contents

There was a recent interview related to "The Dream Which Will Someday End"

Yuzu mentions about the ligaments in his ankle - specifically that is he lands badly it can really hurt him because of pre existing damage. From the way he worded this, (yes I understand that it was a translation ) it sounded very like the way a foot specialist might explain the risk of injury due to specific mechanism of injury.

Prior to Yokohama there was an interview where Yuzu talked about the responsibility of being the main ( currently solo ) performer in an Ice Show. This is completely logical - the logistics of having to cancel and issue refunds would be a major undertaking, plus the inevitable criticism from those who have been critical of Yuzu in the past. Yuzu's professional reputation is very much on the line. 

All of these will be on twitter and other platforms

Spoiler

JSF officials once mentioned about Yuzu's injuries and comp withdrawal, they implied that his risk taking had caused his injury and they applauded athletes who practiced carefully to ensure that they did not sustain an injury prior to competitions.

22 minutes ago, Perelandra said:

There was a recent interview related to "The Dream Which Will Someday End"

Yuzu mentions about the ligaments in his ankle - specifically that is he lands badly it can really hurt him because of pre existing damage. From the way he worded this, (yes I understand that it was a translation ) it sounded very like the way a foot specialist might explain the risk of injury due to specific mechanism of injury.

Do you have a link to the interview? I don't think I've come across this one

Edit: do you mean this one?

Spoiler

I'm not sure when the original interview was published...Either way, this sounds scary :tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw:

Edit 2: I think it's from 2018