General Yuzuru Chat

Dear @Geo1, I would like to thank you for sharing your very special memories and stories. It was a pure pleasure to read them, like a treat, I read everything, watched all the videos, photos, I was enjoying every detail you mentioned, because that's how your stories felt so real, tangible, your memories so alive, as if all of this happened just yesterday.

But nothing prepared me for your story about how you actually met Yuzu himself - again, with all the details you really managed to make the reader anticipate and to build all the tension before the moment Yuzu came up to you to have a chat. The way you described him and contrasted his everyday look with his image on the rink also makes your story so real, but also the whole moment is described in a way that moved me so much. 

Thank you! :flowers:

1 hour ago, Sun_Rise7777 said:

Dear @Geo1, I would like to thank you for sharing your very special memories and stories. It was a pure pleasure to read them, like a treat, I read everything, watched all the videos, photos, I was enjoying every detail you mentioned, because that's how your stories felt so real, tangible, your memories so alive, as if all of this happened just yesterday.

But nothing prepared me for your story about how you actually met Yuzu himself - again, with all the details you really managed to make the reader anticipate and to build all the tension before the moment Yuzu came up to you to have a chat. The way you described him and contrasted his everyday look with his image on the rink also makes your story so real, but also the whole moment is described in a way that moved me so much. 

@Geo1

Your recollections of meeting Yuzu have been very popular.

People have been posting excerpts on Twitter, the snippets pop up in my TL. The group photo taken at TCC has made it there as well. The posts have been very well received

That would be something for the salt mine thread.

Nobu has sunk a lot in my esteem. Apparently, he is also an opportunist who twists his flag in the wind. All of a sudden he finds Uno and Kagyiama are his role models with their cheated jumps, no more word from Yuzu. 

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/52f3439f908f5b72d8c1e912847bee962387491d

Translation via deeply in spoiler

Spoiler

The "Lord on Ice", who once retired, has returned to the competition for the first time in nine years.  Nobunari Oda (35) (Osaka Skating Club), who finished 7th in figure skating at the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics, returned to active duty at the Osaka Prefectural National Athletic Meet selection event held on the 12th.  He scored 146.05 points in the high-difficulty free composition and won the adult men's event.  What was it that drove the skater, who is also active as a commentator and talent, to return to the silver plate?

[Photo] Nobunari Oda poses after finishing his performance in his comeback match for the first time in nine years

■ Smile without crying

This is the first time he has participated in a competition since December 2013, when he was a free skater at the All Japan Championships.  Dressed in dark blue and purple costumes, Oda gave an emotional performance to the song of the movie "Princess Mononoke".

He fell down on the opening quadruple toe loop, saying, "I went too cautiously," but succeeded in the following triple axel (three-and-a-half jump) - triple toe loop.  He landed 6 of 7 shots and got GOE on 5.

When he finished his performance, he made a self-assessment, saying, "Is it possible to do as I practiced? But it doesn't compare to the current top players and players who are active in the world."  Still, he said, "I was able to enjoy skating. I'm glad I took on the challenge."

■ Become a valuable skater

After his retirement, he has worked extensively as a professional skater, commentator, and talent.  He was once a director at his alma mater, Kansai University.  The reason for his return to active duty was the decline as a skater who was keenly aware of the new coronavirus.

Ice shows are canceled one after another.  In May of this year, before the full-scale ice show was held for the first time in three years, perhaps because of the surgery on his left knee in February last year, he was stunned that he could not move his body at all during practice.  To the fans who gave him warm applause even when he showed an unsatisfactory performance, he said, "They pay money to come see us. I have to become a worthy skater to match that."  He decided to return to active duty in mid-August.

For his comeback he chose a song from the movie "Princess Mononoke".  "It may be considered presumptuous, and the fans of the main character Ashitaka may get angry, but I hope I can express that feeling by overlapping my own life with the figure I'm looking for."

His operated left knee has not fully regained strength.  I just started quadruple jump practice about two months ago.  ``I managed to bring it to a level where I could challenge the competition, but I didn't have much experience of succeeding with the song,'' he says, but it was a performance that raised expectations for the future.

■ Busy days

Even so, he seems to be leading a busy life.  On the 13th, the day after his comeback match, Oda immediately delivered a video of the screening day on his YouTube channel.  He revealed that he was competing on a tight schedule.

According to the video, he woke up at a hotel in Tokyo after 3:00 am on the 12th.  Until around 6:00 a.m., he gave commentary on the fourth round of the Grand Prix (GP) series, the British Tournament, on a TV station.  He hurried back to Osaka and went straight to the venue in Osaka city.  After participating in the official practice in the morning, he rested his body until the evening when the adult men's competition was held, and then went to the actual event.  After that, he goes to Tokyo again for work.

When he returned, he practiced alone without a coach.  He also choreographs performances and edits music.  He has already completed the choreography for the short program (SP) in anticipation of the Winter National Sports Festival (Hachinohe City, Aomori Prefecture) in January next year.  By the way, I was surprised to learn that he also edits YouTube videos himself.

■ A new quadruple rotation is also in sight

Participation in the Winter National Sports Festival will be decided at the board meeting of the Osaka Prefectural Skating Federation scheduled in December.  He said, “I want to add another quadruple jump if it is decided (for the national team),” and revealed that he is practicing quadruple loops.

His role model is the Japanese juniors who stood on the podium at the Beijing Winter Olympics in February.  He laughed, saying, ``I repeatedly watched videos of athletes such as Shoma Uno and Yuma Kagiyama, who are good jumpers, and implied that they could do it even at the age of 35.'' I'm serious.

The theme is "always challenge".  ``I think it would be amazing if I could do a new quad jump here.  He added, "(If I can participate in the national polity), if I want to challenge higher or work harder after finishing, I would like to discuss work balances and people around me and try various things. I will not lose to people of my generation. I want to do my best," looking ahead.

■ Ale from my beloved son

I wonder if I can participate in the All Japan Championship.  At a press conference, when the press turned him down, he said with a smile, "I'm happy to hear that. With those words as encouragement, I'll do my best if I can compete in the national polity. I hope I can contribute to my hometown of Osaka, even if just a little."

Recently, when I gave my 6th grade son a smartphone, he received the following message on the free communication app LINE.

"Dad, do your best in the game"

The dad who received it said, "I was so happy. I read it for about 10 seconds and immediately returned it with a lot of heart marks saying 'thank you'" with a big smile.  The 35-year-old challenge has just begun.  (Chikako Shimada)

Hace 5 horas, Sun_Rise7777 said:

I couldn't agree more. @Geo1, I'm deeply moved. Thanks for sharing your memories.

21 minutes ago, Madita said:

Nobu has sunk a lot in my esteem. Apparently, he is also an opportunist who twists his flag in the wind. All of a sudden he finds Uno and Kagyiama are his role models with their cheated jumps, no more word from Yuzu. 

Reveal hidden contents

The "Lord on Ice", who once retired, has returned to the competition for the first time in nine years.  Nobunari Oda (35) (Osaka Skating Club), who finished 7th in figure skating at the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics, returned to active duty at the Osaka Prefectural National Athletic Meet selection event held on the 12th.  He scored 146.05 points in the high-difficulty free composition and won the adult men's event.  What was it that drove the skater, who is also active as a commentator and talent, to return to the silver plate?

[Photo] Nobunari Oda poses after finishing his performance in his comeback match for the first time in nine years

■ Smile without crying

This is the first time he has participated in a competition since December 2013, when he was a free skater at the All Japan Championships.  Dressed in dark blue and purple costumes, Oda gave an emotional performance to the song of the movie "Princess Mononoke".

He fell down on the opening quadruple toe loop, saying, "I went too cautiously," but succeeded in the following triple axel (three-and-a-half jump) - triple toe loop.  He landed 6 of 7 shots and got GOE on 5.

When he finished his performance, he made a self-assessment, saying, "Is it possible to do as I practiced? But it doesn't compare to the current top players and players who are active in the world."  Still, he said, "I was able to enjoy skating. I'm glad I took on the challenge."

After his retirement, he has worked extensively as a professional skater, commentator, and talent.  He was once a director at his alma mater, Kansai University.  The reason for his return to active duty was the decline as a skater who was keenly aware of the new coronavirus.

Ice shows are canceled one after another.  In May of this year, before the full-scale ice show was held for the first time in three years, perhaps because of the surgery on his left knee in February last year, he was stunned that he could not move his body at all during practice.  To the fans who gave him warm applause even when he showed an unsatisfactory performance, he said, "They pay money to come see us. I have to become a worthy skater to match that."  He decided to return to active duty in mid-August.

For his comeback he chose a song from the movie "Princess Mononoke".  "It may be considered presumptuous, and the fans of the main character Ashitaka may get angry, but I hope I can express that feeling by overlapping my own life with the figure I'm looking for."

His operated left knee has not fully regained strength.  I just started quadruple jump practice about two months ago.  ``I managed to bring it to a level where I could challenge the competition, but I didn't have much experience of succeeding with the song,'' he says, but it was a performance that raised expectations for the future.

■ Busy days

Even so, he seems to be leading a busy life.  On the 13th, the day after his comeback match, Oda immediately delivered a video of the screening day on his YouTube channel.  He revealed that he was competing on a tight schedule.

According to the video, he woke up at a hotel in Tokyo after 3:00 am on the 12th.  Until around 6:00 a.m., he gave commentary on the fourth round of the Grand Prix (GP) series, the British Tournament, on a TV station.  He hurried back to Osaka and went straight to the venue in Osaka city.  After participating in the official practice in the morning, he rested his body until the evening when the adult men's competition was held, and then went to the actual event.  After that, he goes to Tokyo again for work.

When he returned, he practiced alone without a coach.  He also choreographs performances and edits music.  He has already completed the choreography for the short program (SP) in anticipation of the Winter National Sports Festival (Hachinohe City, Aomori Prefecture) in January next year.  By the way, I was surprised to learn that he also edits YouTube videos himself.

Participation in the Winter National Sports Festival will be decided at the board meeting of the Osaka Prefectural Skating Federation scheduled in December.  He said, “I want to add another quadruple jump if it is decided (for the national team),” and revealed that he is practicing quadruple loops.

His role model is the Japanese juniors who stood on the podium at the Beijing Winter Olympics in February.  He laughed, saying, ``I repeatedly watched videos of athletes such as Shoma Uno and Yuma Kagiyama, who are good jumpers, and implied that they could do it even at the age of 35.'' I'm serious.

The theme is "always challenge".  ``I think it would be amazing if I could do a new quad jump here.  He added, "(If I can participate in the national polity), if I want to challenge higher or work harder after finishing, I would like to discuss work balances and people around me and try various things. I will not lose to people of my generation. I want to do my best," looking ahead.

I wonder if I can participate in the All Japan Championship.  At a press conference, when the press turned him down, he said with a smile, "I'm happy to hear that. With those words as encouragement, I'll do my best if I can compete in the national polity. I hope I can contribute to my hometown of Osaka, even if just a little."

Recently, when I gave my 6th grade son a smartphone, he received the following message on the free communication app LINE.

The dad who received it said, "I was so happy. I read it for about 10 seconds and immediately returned it with a lot of heart marks saying 'thank you'" with a big smile.  The 35-year-old challenge has just begun.  (Chikako Shimada)

The announcement of his return to competition confused me a bit, I didn't understand, but this completely clears up my doubts...

9 hours ago, SuzyQ said:

I was surprised to know that Yuka ORIHARA, an ice dancer paired with Juho Pirinen and competed for Finland at Espoo, is a daughter of Shizuko ORIHARA.

Shizuko is a costume designer and she made Yuzuru's costumes of Etude and R&J1, and designed the White Legend one (this was made by Yuzuru's mother). 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuka_Orihara

https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASQCH3FXSQCGUTQP002.html

https://www.instagram.com/s.orihara2017/?hl=ja

The above three costumes are still my favorite ones.

I'm surprised too - I heard about Yuka but didn't connect the dots that she is the daughter of Shizuko Orihara. The designs of the costumes are stunning, Etude is still on the top of the list of my favourites.:tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

On 11/28/2022 at 3:42 AM, Michiru1203 said:

Really curious about the bow in Sailor Moon Style☺️☺️Just can’t imagine how it looks like🤔

welcome!!!:tumblr_m9gcttgdYF1qzckow:

may be like this? @Geo1 could you give us more details?:10636614:

tumblr_p4439fUIQF1ridwdyo4_r1_540.gifv

from Tsukihoshi14 tumblr, there are gifs for Ghislain and Brian too!

https://tsukihoshi14.tumblr.com/post/170849775303/behold-the-king-of-extra-special-ft-cricket

(searching aroud there are other vids showing Yuzuru's personalized bows to Brian, Ghislain and Tracy, iirc there was something in PC practices in the subrink, and in some other comps where iirc Jun did the same too). Usually Brian got the more "formal" handshake, Ghislain kind of a bro handshake/half hug (LOL) and to Tracy the elegant proper bow:laughing:

On 11/28/2022 at 8:31 AM, Mor2904 said:

I love his different expressions, how can he look like a sweet boy in the second picture and like a “warrior” in the first one.

they really picked 4pics that showed his different sides...Seimei Yuzu looks almost scary, so intense he is, such a contrast to fluffy boy next door just chilling in a park:clapclap4:

fluffy boy chilling reminds me of that sekkisei CM and Yuzu in oversized clothes being a sunshine

(sorry for the butchered quality, I must have reuploaded too many times XD)

giphy.gif      giphy.gif

On 11/28/2022 at 12:09 PM, sallycinnamon said:

Happy 7th anniversary to Seimei at NHK Trophy 2015. :tumblr_llidknnxec1qzbrv5: :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:Yuzu brought men's skating to a stratospheric level with Seimei and with this skate he became the first ever skater who got over 200 points for a free skate (216.07) and over 300 points for the overall score (322.40). And who would have thought then that he would break his own records in just 2 weeks again at the GPF.

I wish I had been a fan then, must have felt crazy and delirious and magical!

two weeks that marked skating history:tumblr_inline_mzx8t1Yuvn1r8msi5:

I can't think of other similar "records" in the past few years (as in, breaking score records) that felt that much historical, in FS circles too (tho was also the start of ISU running to take control back)

There have been many broken records, but not many feeling as if sport was entering a new era (I guess maybe women's FS records with quads? becase other increases happenend a lot more gradually. And 100, 200 300 threshold always had a certain special "flavour")

On 11/29/2022 at 12:54 PM, SuzyQ said:

I was surprised to know that Yuka ORIHARA, an ice dancer paired with Juho Pirinen and competed for Finland at Espoo, is a daughter of Shizuko ORIHARA.

Shizuko is a costume designer and she made Yuzuru's costumes of Etude and R&J1, and designed the White Legend one (this was made by Yuzuru's mother). 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuka_Orihara

https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASQCH3FXSQCGUTQP002.html

https://www.instagram.com/s.orihara2017/?hl=ja

The above three costumes are still my favorite ones.

I love those costumes too <3

Especially Etude, one of the most gorgeous FS costumes in the history of FS costumes across disciplines. Beautiful both still and in motion, marvellous color palette, and incredibly suited to both the program and to Yuzu. Blu Flame!:bow:

ETA: I just made the most appalling discovery, which is that I actually NEVER giffed that costume:shocked: One of my most favest costumes evere:shocked::shocked::smiley-scared005:  the only gif I have is just cuz I wanted to show his first ever counter3A in comp for the Glossary wiki

giphy.gif(source of the fancam this is taken from is in the Glossary wiki!)

On 11/29/2022 at 7:41 PM, Madita said:

Hide contents

■ Smile without crying

■ Busy days

Meh 😑😒

Spoiler

mostly :offtopic2:

Spoiler

Honestly I still have no idea why Nobu got back to comps, if it's truly only to "improve his form" so he can skate well at shows... it feels a bit convoluted to me, especially knowing he could rareley express the "best" self in comps and he certainly doens't strike me as someone loving competition for the sake of competition.

My guess: he is doing this to skate in shows, because he needs to keep getting invited. And competing again andsay to both JSF&audience "hey, I'm still here!" is a legit strategy. Maybe it's a way to remind JSF&co he is still a valuable resource in that field. And maybe that means he wants to be in JSF good graces. And what better way to align with what JSF supports?

It makes me :rolleye0008: to see SU called a good jumper (since, truth be told, majority of his jumps sucks, especially in their "quad" version), but hey, it isn't the first time I see it, won't be the last (Yuma happen to have much better jumps, and he's new gen, so mentioning him would definitely make sense, instead). And tbh the only thing Nobu could learn from the jumps SU "has" and he hasn't landed in comp yet -- 4loop,sal(?or did he?), flip -- is how to cheat them (which in ISU economy &with the right push is still a potentially valuable skill, I guess:jester:). But I don't think that's something that Nobu could easily learn it.

tbh, in the last year or so I've been ambivalent about Nobu because I did read some discontent about him here and there, but also: sometimes people jump too soon on the most uncharitable interpretation...and also, I do want to think the best of Nobu. If any, because it would really really sadden me if he actually weren't the (mostly)good person I believed him to be (and I'd need something more egregious than this kind of somewhat predictable PR to drop Nobu like I dropped Javi).

Let's say, I wanna think Nobu is just "acting" in his own best interests, BUT wouldn't entirely backstab Zu. I don't like the Zu erasure (cuz hey, WTF, is Beijing the only comp happened all these years??? is "merely" podiuming THE most inspiring things you can think about? Because both talking about comp Results and about things Beyond medals, there are more inspiring things. Heck, doesn't even have to be about Zu, like, I could understand if Nobu had said he was inspired by his former pal DaisukeT, who is about his age and came back to comp before him). But if I try to look at it in the most charitable way, maybe he merely mentioned the athletes that are actively competing.

1 hour ago, EisElle said:

welcome!!!:tumblr_m9gcttgdYF1qzckow:

may be like this? @Geo1 could you give us more details?:10636614:

tumblr_p4439fUIQF1ridwdyo4_r1_540.gifv

from Tsukihoshi14 tumblr, there are gifs for Ghislain and Brian too!

https://tsukihoshi14.tumblr.com/post/170849775303/behold-the-king-of-extra-special-ft-cricket

(searching aroud there are other vids showing Yuzuru's personalized bows to Brian, Ghislain and Tracy, iirc there was something in PC practices in the subrink, and in some other comps where iirc Jun did the same too). Usually Brian got the more "formal" handshake, Ghislain kind of a bro handshake/half hug (LOL) and to Tracy the elegant proper bow:laughing:

@EisElle, that is the bow that I am referring to. Yuzu always did that bow with a flourish of his arm to Tracy. I called it “Sailor Moon style” because I had heard of it or read about it being described that way before. I’m like a parrot. If I hear it often enough, I start repeating it without knowing what it means. LOL!