General Yuzuru Chat

18 minutes ago, Pammi said:

https://www.jprime.jp/articles/-/24730

An article about the possiblility of an ice arena being built in Sendai for Yuzuru to use for shows and passing on his knowledge and skills to others:

Headline is: A local lawmaker proposes a 5 billion yen “ice arena establishment” for Yuzuru Hanyu “I want you to give guidance to the next generation”

[NEWS]

This is a great idea and probably something Yuzu could work with down the road once it is built. They stated it would take 3-5 years to build, once approved, so it likely wont be up in time for anything Yuzu wants to show us in the near future. I am sure fans would support this effort through crowdfunding, but would not have the patience to wait 5 years to see Yuzu here!  It sounds like a long term project for a later venture, if it does happen. It would be very nice to have it as a tribute to Yuzu's legacy, especially being built in Sendai.  I hope they name it after Yuzu if it is built.

37 minutes ago, Pammi said:

An article about the possiblility of an ice arena being built in Sendai for Yuzuru to use for shows and passing on his knowledge and skills to others:

Headline is: A local lawmaker proposes a 5 billion yen “ice arena establishment” for Yuzuru Hanyu “I want you to give guidance to the next generation”

[NEWS]

:surprised_pikachu:

Heavens above, I think that I wrote in a post a little while ago that Yuzu should try to have a dedicated arena built for shows and masterclass coaching. It was a joke that it should be called Yutopia Ice World and something along these lines, it would be a wish upon a star for Yuzu. 

The potential for Yuzu to really contribute to the economy of Sendai and Tohoku by having a tourist attraction for shows and exhibition would be amazing. Hanyuconomy brings in real money, the evidence is there in the accounts from the parades, merchandise sales and the donations of royalties and Yuzu's other personal donations and charity appearances. A dedicated venue for Yuzu shows would be a huge tourist draw, with all of the finance that tourists spend on hotels, food, travel, souvenirs and the prospect for employment within those sectors. 

It will take a long time to come to fruition, due to the time required to build a sizeable Ice Arena ( the timeline stated 3-5 y )

Truly a representation of hope and legacy

1 minute ago, Yuzurella said:

This sounds like a must-have for Fanyus! :10636614:

But according to the comments under the post, it's already sold out even though it won't be available until September 29th... :64341262:

I hope they restock or just produce larger quantities to begin with. :13877886:

[NEWS]

They really love torturing us... :13877886:

1 hour ago, Pammi said:

[NEWS]

1 hour ago, ImmortalBeloved said:

This is a great idea and probably something Yuzu could work with down the road once it is built. They stated it would take 3-5 years to build, once approved, so it likely wont be up in time for anything Yuzu wants to show us in the near future. I am sure fans would support this effort through crowdfunding, but would not have the patience to wait 5 years to see Yuzu here!  It sounds like a long term project for a later venture, if it does happen. It would be very nice to have it as a tribute to Yuzu's legacy, especially being built in Sendai.  I hope they name it after Yuzu if it is built.

If it takes place, that gives us time to organize a pilgrimage of Satellites to Sendai. Start saving, Satellites! :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw::tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

Report on the words from Russian skaters and ex-skaters.

https://number.bunshun.jp/articles/-/854128

「羽生結弦“引退”」のニュースは、ロシアでもすぐさまトップニュースとして報じられた。

タス通信、RIAノーボスチなどの通信社、スポーツニュースサイトはもちろんのこと、国営テレビの第1チャンネル、RBKやコメルサントなどの経済紙系も速報として取り扱ったのは、外国人選手としてはなかなか異例のことだ。

興味深かったのは、会見での羽生の言葉に触れながら、競技から引退はするものの4回転半を含めて自分自身への挑戦はこれからも続けることなど、彼の意に寄り添うような丁寧な報じ方をしていたことだ。これは五輪連覇など数々の偉業を成し遂げた者、長い競技人生を終える決断をした者への敬意の表れだろう。

(Translated with DeepL)

The news of Yuzuru Hanyu's retirement was immediately reported as top news in Russia.

It was quite unusual for a foreign athlete to be reported as breaking news, not only by news agencies such as TASS and RIA Novosti, and sports news websites, but also by the state-run TV channel 1 and economic newspapers such as RBK and Kommersant.

Interesting to note was that it was carefully reported in a way attentive to his intentions, touching his words at the press conference, and that although he is retiring from competition, he will continue to challenge himself, including 4A. This was a sign of respect for someone who had achieved so many great things, including back-to-back Olympic titles, and who had made the decision to end a long athletic career.

(omission)

世界選手権に5度の出場を果たし、2019年に引退したマキシム・コフトゥンは、大会でのエピソードを交えてこう回想している。

「ユヅルと世界の舞台で戦うことができたことは光栄なことです。かけがえのないすばらしい経験でした。大会で会うといつもうれしそうにしてくれて、気さくで親しみやすい人でした。いつだったか通路ですれちがうとき、彼は『コオオオフたああああん!』とおかしな叫び声を上げて走ってきてハグをしたのを覚えています。演技後はいつもファンが数えきれないくらいのぬいぐるみを投げ入れましたね。リンクが見えなくなるほどでした。そしてスタンディングオベーション」

Maxim Kovtun, who retired in 2019 after his five World Championships, recalls his experiences at the competitions.

"It was an honour to compete on the world stage with Yuzuru. It was an irreplaceable and wonderful experience. He was always happy to see me at competitions and was a friendly and approachable person. I remember one time when we passed each other in the corridor, he ran to me with a funny scream  'Ko'ooftaaan! ' and hugged me. After every performance, fans would throw countless stuffed animals into the rink. It was so much that you couldn't see the rink. And then a standing ovation."  :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

5 minutes ago, Anabel said:

If it takes place, that gives us time to organize a pilgrimage of Satellites to Sendai. Start saving, Satellites! :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw::tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

Still have my GP money and waiting for Yuzu Airlines to start selling flights as well.

I hope that Yuzu's ice arena will be a leisure complex with a hotel and Yuzu museum. The new rink will need a dedicated tram line as well to cope with the visitor numbers

hehehe:10636614:

2 hours ago, Pammi said:

[NEWS]

Sorry to rain on your parade but this source is a women’s weekly magazine and not trustworthy. I have posted my reply on the salt mine but don’t know how to cross post the reply here. Also it’s after 2am over where I live so most of my brain cells has already left me. Please check the reply there. Anyway, unless the idea is backed by Yuzu himself, we should be really careful as so many people wants to have a piece of cake with Yuzu’s name on it.

@BWOZWaltz Let's see if I can help you with that... Yep :wink2:

34 minutes ago, BWOZWaltz said:

This article is made by Shu-kan Josei Prime (= weekly women's magazine). I would take it with a pinch of salt.

They make articles on speculations and mislead people who are ignorant about fact, etc and make money on them.

This article about building an ice rink in Sendai first came out in Feb after Beijing Oly.

The below link is an article by Kahoku Shin-pou (Sendai based newspaper publisher)

https://kahoku.news/articles/20220221khn000042.html

According to this, one of the Sendai city councillors has brought up an idea of building an ice rink in Sendai at the city's monthly meeting on Feb 21st. The councillor came up with the idea upon Yuzu briefly mentioned that he'd like to skate in Sendai again and also he felt that (in order for him or anyone to skate in Sendai) skating facilities (ice rink) should be more available within the city at the press con after the 2nd OGM celebration parade in 2018.  Kahoku news article concluded with the city mayor mentioned that they should confirm Hanyu's thoughts first and approach it with more caution. Also the director of the city PR/Tourism said that they should get the necessary/appropriate people involved for discussion in terms of finance/impact to the area, etc.

So unless Yuzu has said something to the city mayor about the ice rink, we, fanyus should be keeping the distance from articles like these.  Trust only the words straight from the horse's (unicorn? 🦄) mouth :68468287:

The info shared by @BWOZWaltz has a lot of sense :agree2:

19 hours ago, Yuzurella said:

Yuzu is absolutely incredible. :ganba:

We also have to take into consideration that the average NBA player does NOT spin 3.5 times in the air when they make a leap.

Actually, Yuzu's 3A from JNats Rondo wasn't his highest recorded jump, but it was his 4A (also JNats '21), when he reached 75 cm, so according to data presented here this is 4 cm higher than the average NBA leap. 

See here (if you press "play" it should take you directly to the moment with I-Scope data). 

21 minutes ago, Sun_Rise said:

Actually, Yuzu's 3A from JNats Rondo wasn't his highest recorded jump, but it was his 4A (also JNats '21), when he reached 75 cm, so according to data presented here this is 4 cm higher than the average NBA leap. 

See here (if you press "play" it should take you directly to the moment with I-Scope data). 

The i scope data and the ice coverage with jump locations display looks really good for audience to see and clearly there is a system of technology which can analyse all of the important data from any given skater's performance, and produce objective measurements. The analysis seemed to be completed quite quickly and the data presentation is plain to see for judging /scoring and available on screens. 

Comments which allude to AI adding difficulties for judges because it will take too long to get results back, are clearly nonsensical. This video shows the pictorial / numerical analysis of the performance in real time and the time taken to award a score, did not seem any longer compared with competitions where technology is not used for judging. 

(May be I'm missing something, but excessive resistance to the use of technology to aid judging seems illogical) 

24 minutes ago, Perelandra said:

Comments which allude to AI adding difficulties for judges because it will take too long to get results back, are clearly nonsensical. This video shows the pictorial / numerical analysis of the performance in real time and the time taken to award a score, did not seem any longer compared with competitions where technology is not used for judging. 

(May be I'm missing something, but excessive resistance to the use of technology to aid judging seems illogical) 

It seems totally illogical and against already-not-so-current trend to use tech support in sports.

It was already used in Saitama in 2019, so there was enough time to adjust it for the purpose of scoring. The estimated measurement error was about +/- 3 cm in Saitama, but my question is - do the judges see it better? You don't have to answer.

Just to add, OMEGA was applying a similar system in Beijing (it gave lower figures than I-Scope for jump height, for example), but on the top of it they used motion capture equipment (6 cameras as compared to 2 cameras used by Fuji for I-Scope), and Artificial Intelligence to analyse the skaters' movements in 3D, in real time, which included, for example, no of rotations (but only the jump measurements such as height and length were displayed for the public). Still, without linking the results of these measurements to scores. 

3 hours ago, BWOZWaltz said:

Sorry to rain on your parade but this source is a women’s weekly magazine and not trustworthy. I have posted my reply on the salt mine but don’t know how to cross post the reply here. Also it’s after 2am over where I live so most of my brain cells has already left me. Please check the reply there. Anyway, unless the idea is backed by Yuzu himself, we should be really careful as so many people wants to have a piece of cake with Yuzu’s name on it.

Thanks! I have now edited my post with a warning and put the link under a spoiler

10 minutes ago, Sun_Rise said:

It seems totally illogical and against already-not-so-current trend to use tech support in sports.

It was already used in Saitama in 2019, so there was enough time to adjust it for the purpose of scoring. The estimated measurement error was about +/- 3 cm in Saitama, but my question is - do the judges see it better? You don't have to answer.

Just to add, OMEGA was applying a similar system in Beijing (it gave lower figures than I-Scope for jump height, for example), but on the top of it they used motion capture equipment (6 cameras as compared to 2 cameras used by Fuji for I-Scope), and Artificial Intelligence to analyse the skaters' movements in 3D, in real time, which included, for example, no of rotations (but only the jump measurements such as height and length were displayed for the public). Still, without linking the results of these measurements to scores. 

Quite so.

What is more, in complete contrast, Speed branch uses cameras and replay to look at false starts, photo finish and fouls like obstruction or trips. The camera angles, freeze frame and slo mo are sent to the referee who looks at the footage in order to make a decision. The racing stops whilst the ref conducts the investigation until the judgement is made. It's utter double standard to use tech for one discipline and not another, often with the fallacious argument that it causes delays to the comp. Some people must be under the false belief that FS fans fell off the Christmas tree yesterday