General Yuzuru Chat

Sorry if you have seen this already as it will just make you :animated-smileys-angry-041: again...

It makes me furious that they treated him like this, and ofc he knew exactly what was happening. How awful a sport it is if skaters cannot say what they think until they have left the competitive field - Yuzu did say he felt as if he wasnt rewarded tbh but people interpreted that in ways that suited them I would guess, rather than taking this GENIUS seriously. I wish other skaters were up in arms about it, and coaches!! and feds!! 

Maybe I shd have put this on salty thread...

13 minutes ago, Pammi said:

Sorry if you have seen this already as it will just make you :animated-smileys-angry-041: again...

It makes me furious that they treated him like this, and ofc he knew exactly what was happening. How awful a sport it is if skaters cannot say what they think until they have left the competitive fireld - Yuzu did say he felt as if he wasnt rewarded tbh but people interpreted that in ways that suited them I would guess, rather than taking this GENIUS seriously. I wish other skaters were up in arms about it, and coaches!! and feds!! 

Maybe I shd have put this on salty thread...

I think it deserves to be here. These are his thoughts and they should be heard. Videos with subs are in these two tweets

[NEWS]

1 hour ago, JanMary said:

Finished

:thanks: JANMARY 

21 minutes ago, lajoitko said:

I think he deserves to be here. These are his thoughts and they should be heard. Videos with subtitles are in these two tweets

[NEW]

:agree: and he can express himself FINALLY and there is a saying of my country which says : "all truths are not good to say" and seen and read : "i really prefer to be appreciated by people properly" :nod2:

20 minutes ago, Skrimblo_iced said:

finally found the version without music 

:2thumbsup: at the end when they greet each other like children and all smiles  :heartpound:   and here is this

Guys I've been trying to catch up with this thread for the past 3days but my gap went from 10 pages to 24 HOW????😅💀

And I gave a look at the calender and WTFFF feels not even olys were so crammed with content, why everything happening all at once, I wasn't ready, this would have been drought season but now we're getting flooded, why can't jpn media schedule some things in different days:drowning: I'll have maybe a couple hours to go for groceries (thankfully at an hour when I won't be melting under the sun) but that's it:13877886:and yet, I'm happy:tumblr_inline_mzx8t1Yuvn1r8msi5:

Also since I'm a greedy fanyu, I still wanna jpn media to release MORE. They have at least 15years of hidden content stashed somewhere. If HongKong fed can restore pics and vids from novice :mushroom4: era, so can they!😤

Though, maybe, plz wait for the drought to hit, cuz at some point it will, but we have no idea when and how long (which I guess it's a cue for me to enjoy being flooded and stop complaining...but really I'm feeling a tad overwhelmed here:help:)

Anyway I hope my favourite pro-athlete Zuzu is enjoying wherever he is and whatever he's doing. Can't believe we're seeing him live again tomorrow :smiley-happy093:  

Love you all, dear satellites! *hugs*

9 minutes ago, EisElle said:

Guys I've been trying to catch up with this thread for the past 3days but my gap went from 10 pages to 24 HOW????😅💀

And I gave a look at the calender and WTFFF feels not even olys were so crammed with content, why everything happening all at once, I wasn't ready, this would have been drought season but now we're getting flooded, why can't jpn media schedule some things in different days:drowning: I'll have maybe a couple hours to go for groceries (thankfully at an hour when I won't be melting under the sun) but that's it:13877886:and yet, I'm happy:tumblr_inline_mzx8t1Yuvn1r8msi5:

Also since I'm a greedy fanyu, I still wanna jpn media to release MORE. They have at least 15years of hidden content stashed somewhere. If HongKong fed can restore pics and vids from novice :mushroom4: era, so can they!😤

Though, maybe, plz wait for the drought to hit, cuz at some point it will, but we have no idea when and how long (which I guess it's a cue for me to enjoy being flooded and stop complaining...but really I'm feeling a tad overwhelmed here:help:)

Anyway I hope my favourite pro-athlete Zuzu is enjoying wherever he is and whatever he's doing. Can't believe we're seeing him live again tomorrow :smiley-happy093:  

Love you all, dear satellites! *hugs*

Right? I've been trying to keep up with all the interviews/appearances but it's so overwhelming (especially bc of time zone differences). I've added all the appearances for Saturday (JPN) that I know of to the Calendar (and sources where the info came from) for everyone to keep up since it converts times to local for each satellite. I can add more as I learn of them (mods, please let me know if this is not allowed?).

Basically, Yuzu is saying that he is done with this bullshit and being evaluated by a bunch of clowns.

That is why he describes it as moving “up” to the next stage where he can compete against himself and skate to his and his fans’ expectations.

I haven‘t read much here in the last few days and don‘t know what was already shared.

In case there is not yet a full translation of the press conference, here is my full deepL translation. It is only a rough translation, because the text is really long, I am emotionally exhausted and I know that we will get a perfect AWW translation as soon as they have recovered.

Please be aware that it is an automatic translation and don‘t trust every word or sentence.

! Do not repost outside of Planethanyu ! 

Spoiler

こんにちは羽生結弦です。このたびは、このような場に皆さん集まって下さって、本当にありがとうございます。最初にもう一つだけ感謝を述べさせていただきます。

先の一部報道であった通り、色んなことを言われてしまいましたが、その中でも自分のこと、そしてここまで応援してくださっているファンの方々を含め、色んなことを考えながら気持ちを大切にしていただきながら、自分が決意を表明することを、常にメディアで発信してくださった方々に対し、深く深くお礼をさせてください。本当にありがとうございました。

これまでたくさんの応援のおかげで僕はここまで来られました。ここまで頑張ってこれました。そして、ここにいてくださっているメディアの方々、カメラマンの方々も含めて本当にたくさん応援していただきました。

そういった皆さんの応援の力の中で、羽生結弦としてフィギュアスケートを全うできるのが、本当に幸せです。まだまだ未熟な自分ですけれど、プロのアスリートとして、スケートを続けていくことを決意いたしました。

本当に、いやー、本当にあの、緊張してます。しがない自分なので、言葉遣いが悪かったり、噛んだりしても許してください。

これからもプロのアスリートとして、競技者として他のスケーターと比べ続けられることはなくなりました。

ただこれからは自分のことを認めつつ、また自分の弱さと、そして過去の自分とも戦い続けながら、これからも滑っていきたいと思っています。

そして4回転半ジャンプにもより一層取り組んで、皆さんの前で成功させられることを強く考えながら、これからも頑張っていきます。どうか戦い続ける姿をこれからも応援していただけたらうれしいです。

そして一人の人間として、自分の心を大切にしたり、守っていくという選択もしていきたいなと思っています。

僕がこれまで努力してきたこととか、そういったことが応援してくださる方々に評価していただいたり、見てもらいたり、そこで何かを感じていただけたり。そんなことが本当に僕は幸せです。その幸せも大切にしていきたいなと思っています。

色んな選択をしていく中で、失望したなとか、もう見たくないなとか思われてしまうと、とても悲しいですけど、それでも自分のスケートがやっぱり見たいなとか、見る価値があるなって思っていただけるように、これからも、もっともっと頑張っていきますので、どうか応援していただけたらうれしいです。

これまで応援して下さったたくさんの方々、今回もどんな決断でも、どんな時でも、今回のこんな会見でも、「頑張れ」って、「緊張するだろうけど応援してるよ」って、応援してくださるコメントを寄せて下さっていて、本当に僕はいつも救われています。本当にありがとうございました。

最後になりますが、羽生結弦として、一人の人間として、ここまで育てて下さった幼稚園、小学校、中学校、高校、大学と色んな先生方、そしてフィギアスケートを教えてくださった先生方、たくさんの先生方、本当にありがとうございました。

また自分の心を、自分のことを大切にしてくれた人たち、本当に、本当に、本当にありがとうございました。

僕は自分の口から決意を言いたいなと思っていたので、事前に大切な人たちに言うことができなかったんですけれど、それでも何も言わずに自分のことを大切にしてくれて、僕も大切な方々が本当に大切だなと思ったし、またこれからも大切にしていきたいなって思いました。本当に僕なんかのことを大切にして下さり、本当にありがとうございました。

これからもより一層頑張っていきます。まだ今までスケートを生で見たことがない方も含めて、「見てよかったな」って、「絶対見る価値があるな」とか、そう思っていただけるように、これからもさらに頑張っていきますので。

そして4回転半ジャンプを含めて挑戦を続けて、これからもさらに高いステージにいけるように頑張っていきます。

これからはプロのアスリートとして、そしてスポーツであるフィギアスケートを大切にしながら、加えて羽生結弦の理想を追い求めながら頑張っていきます。

どうかこれからも戦い抜く姿を応援して下さい。今日は本当にありがとうございます。まだまだ自分の口から自分の考えてきたことだけだと話せない事はいっぱいあるので、どうか質問いっぱい下さい。そしたらしゃべれると思うので。どうかよろしくお願いします。ありがとうございました。

Hello, I am Yuzuru Hanyu. I would like to thank you all for coming here to this occasion. First of all, I would like to say one more thank you.

Many things have been written about me, like some of the earlier reports, including about myself and the fans who have supported me so far, but I would like to express my deepest and most sincere gratitude to all of you who have constantly communicated my decisions in the media, while taking care of my feelings and thinking about many things. Please allow me to express my deepest and most sincere gratitude to all of you. Thank you very much indeed.

Thanks to all the support I have received so far, I have made it this far. I have worked so hard to get this far. I've also had a lot of support from the media and photographers who are here.

With the power of your support, I am really happy to do figure skating as Yuzuru Hanyu. I still feel like I'm a novice, but I've decided to continue skating as a professional athlete.

I'm really, well, really, you know, nervous. I am an inexperienced person, so please forgive me if I use bad language or speak poorly.

From now on, I will be a professional athlete and I will no longer be compared to other skaters as a competitor.

But from now on, I will continue to skate while recognising myself and also continuing to fight against my weaknesses and against my past self.

And I will continue to work even harder on my quadruple and a half jump, thinking strongly about being able to succeed in front of everyone. I hope you will continue to support me as I continue to fight.

And as a human being, I would also like to make a choice to take care of and protect my heart.

I am really happy when the people who are supporting me appreciate what I have been working on and what I have been doing, and when they see and feel something from it. Such things make me really happy. I want to cherish that happiness.

I would be very sad if people are disappointed or don't want to watch my skating anymore, but I will continue to work harder and harder so that people will still like watching me and think that my skating is worth watching. I would be very happy if you would continue to support me.

Many people who have supported me in the past, in every decision, in every moment, even in a press conference like this one, have sent me comments of support, telling me "go for it", "I know you must be nervous, but I'm rooting for you", and they have always really been a great source of help to me. Truly, thank you very much.

Last but not least, I would like to thank all my teachers from kindergarten, primary school, junior high school, high school and college who have raised me up to this point as Yuzuru Hanyu and as a human being, as well as the many teachers who have taught me figure skating.

And to those who have taken care of myself and my heart, I really, really, really want to thank you so much.

I wanted to announce my decision from my own mouth, so I couldn't tell all the people I who are close to me beforehand, but nevertheless they cared about me without saying anything, and I felt that they are really important to me, and I want to continue to cherish them in the future. Thank you so much for caring for me.

From now on, I will continue to work even harder, so that people, including those who have never seen skating live before, can enjoy watching it and think that it's definitely worth seeing.

And I will continue to challenge myself, including the quadruple and a half jump, so that I can reach even higher levels in the future.

From now on, I will do my best as a professional athlete and while valuing the sport of figure skating, and in addition, pursuing the ideals of Yuzuru Hanyu.

Please continue to support me in my fight. Thank you so much for being here today. There are still so many things left that I can't express only through my own thoughts, so please ask me a lot of questions. Then I will be able to speak. Please. Thank you very much.

――競技者として勝負の場から離れる決断に至ったのは何故でしょうか。またその決断に対して、寂しさはありますか。

寂しさは全然ないです。むしろ、今回この会見の案内文を考えていた時に、今後の活動についてとか、今後の活動に関してとかみたいなことを書いていただいたんですけど、自分の中でなんかそうじゃないなーって思って。

もっと決意に満ちあふれたものですし、もっと希望に満ちあふれたものだなぁと、自分の中で思っていたので、むしろ今は自分としてはこれからも期待してやってくださいって、胸を張って言えるという気持ちでいます。

なので寂しさは特にないです。これからさらに頑張っていきたいと思いますし、試合という限られた場所だけではなくて、もっと色んな方法で自分のスケートを見ていただく機会があるかなと思ってますし、作っていきたいなと考えているので、ぜひ楽しみにしていただきたいなと、自分では思っています。

Q: Why did you make the decision to leave the competitive arena as a competitor? And are you feeling any sadness in making that decision?

Y: I don't feel any sadness at all. Rather, when I was thinking about the invitation letter for this press conference, I was asked to write something about my future activities or something like that, but I thought to myself, that's somehow not what it is about.

I thought it would be more about determination and hope, and I feel that I can now proudly ask everyone to continue to look forward to it.

So I don't feel sad about it. I want to work even harder from now on, and I think there will be more opportunities for people to see me skate in many different ways, not just in the limited context of competitions, and I would like to create more opportunities for people to see me skate.

――羽生選手と言えばオリンピックに3回出場して二つの金メダルを獲得して、夢や感動希望を与えたと思います。ご自身が得たものも非常に多いのかなとも思います。今改めてオリンピックと言うものを振り返ってみて、一言で言うとどういうものでしょうか。

オリンピックはそうですね、もちろん自分にとっては2連覇できた、今の自分のこういう立場や、こういう発言をさせていただく場所だったりとか、そういうものを作ってくれている大切なものたちだなと思うんですけど、それプラス、北京オリンピックでもちろん、挑戦が成功したわけではないんですけど、それでも自分が夢を追い続けたりとか、頑張り続け、ある意味、それを証明できた場所でもあったと思うので。

そういう中で、そういう姿を見て下さり、「あーかっこいいな」とか、「応援したくなるな」とか、また自分自身がほんの一歩でもいいから前に進もうとか思っていただけるような機会になったことが、何よりもうれしいなと思ってます。

もちろん一つずつオリンピックに意味付けをしてしまうと、オリンピックというものに対して全部意味付けをしてしまうと、長くなっちゃうんですけど、僕にとっては自分が生きている証というか、そして皆さんと共に歩み続けた、頑張った証でもありますし、これから頑張っていくための土台でもあるかなと思います。

Q: When I think about Hanyu, you have participated in three Olympic Games and won two gold medals, and I think you have given people dreams and inspiration and hope. I think you have probably gained many things from it. Looking back on the Olympics now, what would you say it means to you in a few words?

Y: Well, of course the Olympics are important for me because I was able to win two consecutive gold medals, and also because they have established my current position where I can make such comments. However, in addition to that, of course the Beijing Olympics were not a place where I succeeded in my goals. But I think it was also a place where I continued to pursue my dreams and work hard, and in a way, I was able to prove that.

In that situation, I am more than happy that people saw me in such a way and it became an opportunity for them to say, "Oh, this is great!" or "I want to support him", or to think about moving forward themselves, even if it is only one step.

Of course, if I were to explain the meaning of each Olympics one by one, it would become a long story, but for me the Olympics are proof that I am living, proof that I have worked hard, and proof that I will continue to work hard in the future. I think it's also a foundation for me to work hard in the future.

――競技会にはもう出ないという決断と考えてよろしいでしょうか。その決断に至った経緯、揺れ動いたのかも含めて聞かせてください。

これから競技会というものに出るつもりはないです。僕がこれまでやってきた中で、もう競技会に対して、結果ということに対して、取るべきものは取れたなと思ってますし、そこに対する評価をもう求めなくなってしまったという気持ちもあります。それがここまで至った経緯です。

そして、自分が揺れ動いたことはもちろんあったんですけど、そもそも平昌オリンピックの時点でもう引退しようと思っていて。

引退という言葉が好きじゃないのであまり使いたくないんですけど、僕が16歳か17歳のときのインタビューで、「2連覇したらどうするんですか」と言われたときに、「いやそこからがスタートです」って、本当に自分の心の中から言える時期があって、今本当にそういう気持ちでいます。

自分の中では平昌オリンピックからプロのスケーターとして、プロのアスリートとしてスタートするんだって思ってたんですけど、4回転半だったりとか、四大陸選手権も含めて、金メダルを取れていない試合が何個かあったので、それを取りたいと思って続けました。

4回転半にこだわり続けた結果、北京オリンピックまでついたんですけど、今の自分の考えとしては別に競技会じゃなくてもいいじゃんて思ってしまっています。

自分でこれから努力したい方向だったりとか、自分が理想としているフィギュアスケートという形だったりとか、そういうものを追い求めるのは競技会じゃなくてもできるなって。

むしろ競技会じゃないところの方が皆さんに見ていただけるんじゃないかなと思っていて、こういう決断をしました。これからも4回転半を含めてよりアスリートらしく頑張ってきたいなと思います。

Q: Is it correct to assume that you have decided to no longer compete in competitions? Can you tell us how you came to that decision, and if the decision was wavering?

Y: I don't intend to compete in competitions in the future. I feel that I have already achieved what I needed to achieve in terms of results in the competitions I have done so far, and I also feel that I don't want to be judged anymore. That's how I came to this point.

And of course there were moments when I was feeling shaken up, but actually I was already thinking of retiring at the time of the Pyeongchang Olympics initially.

I don't like the word 'retire' so I don't use it too much, but in an interview when I was 16 or 17 years old, when I was asked, "What will you do after winning two consecutive titles?", I said from the bottom of my heart, "That will be the starting point", and really that's how I feel right now.

In my mind, I always thought that I would start as a professional skater and athlete from the PyeongChang Olympics, but there were a few competitions that I had not won, like the Four Continents Championships, so I kept on trying to win those gold medals, and also to include the quadruple and a half. 

As a result of my commitment to the quadruple and a half, I ended up at the Beijing Olympics, but my current thinking is that I don't really have to compete in competitions any more.

I think I can pursue the direction I want to work towards, my ideal form of figure skating, even if it's not in a competition.

I made this decision because I think that people will be more interested in my skating when I am not in a competition. I would like to continue to do my best, including the quadruple and a half, becoming even better as an athlete.

――これだけ実績を残されて、社会の中でも羽生選手の言動だったり、ものすごく影響与えたり、色んな人を喜ばせたりしている中で、そのような存在になれた、自分にしかない特徴、自分の中で持っているものは何でしょうか。

自分で実感があまりないのでわからないんですけど、ただ、今この場所にいる羽生結弦としては、客観視して本当にすごく遠くから、例えば今カメラさんがいる場所からとか、上から見たら、羽生結弦ってどういう存在かなとか….。たくさん応援してくれるからこそ、ここにいられるんですね。

別に羽生結弦が何かを持っているからとか、僕自身が何かをしてきたからとか、そういうのではなくて、色んな環境の変化があったりとか、色んなことで自分の演技を見ていただいたり、発言をさせせていただく場所があったり、聞いていただける場所があったりすることによって、僕は特別応援していただける、本当に運のいい人間なんだなと思っていて。

それが僕自身も、もっと頑張っていかなきゃいけないとか、より色んなことを考えたりとか、どんな言葉がいいのだろうかとか、どんなことを考えていけばいいのだろうかとか、そういうことを考えさせて下さるきっかけになっていたので。

別に作り上げているわけではないんですけど、そうやって皆さんに応援していただけるからこそ、たくさんの方々が応援してくれてるからこそ、僕はここで発信できる、発言できるんだなと強く思いますし、その上で、僕自身もその期待に応えられるように、その期待をさらに越えていけるようにしていきたいなと思えたので、そんな感じでやってこれたのかなと思います。

ただやっぱり、僕はアスリートでしかないと思っていて、これから色んな演技をしていったりとか、スケート続けていくにあたって、色んな面が見えてりすると思うんですね。その中で、やっぱり芸能人とかアイドルでも何でもないですし、やっぱりアスリートとして格好いいなと、アスリートとして色んな希望とか夢とかを見せてもらえるなって思ってもらえるような存在として、これからも努力していきたいなと今は思っています。

Q: What characteristics have made you such a successful athlete and such an influential figure in society, with your words and actions, and the happiness you are giving to so many people?

Y: I don't know, because I don't really feel this myself, but just as Yuzuru Hanyu, who is here now, I can look at him objectively from very far away, for example, from where the camera is, or from above, and look what kind of person Yuzuru Hanyu is... I think I am in this place because of a lot of support I have received.

It's not because Yuzuru Hanyu is unique or because of something I've done myself, but because of the many different circumstances, the many places where I've been able to perform, and the places where I've been allowed to speak and be heard, that I've been able to receive special support, which has made me a really lucky person. 

Because of that, it made me think about how I need to work harder, what kind of words I should use, what kind of things I should think about, and so on.

It's not that I'm just inventing this, but it's because of your support, because of the support of so many people, that I feel strongly that I can communicate and speak here, and I also want to live up to those expectations and even exceed them. I think that's what I've been doing.

But I think I'm just an athlete, and I'm sure I'll discover many different aspects of myself as I continue to skate and perform in various ways. In that context, I am not a celebrity or an idol or anything like that, and I want to continue to work hard to be an athlete who people think is exciting and who can show them many hopes and dreams as an athlete.

――競技者として羽生さんがこれまで貫けたなと思うこと、そしてこれからも貫いていきたいなと思うことを改めて教えてください。

常に挑戦し続けることは、これからも続けていきたいなと思います。正直、僕の中では線引きがとても難しいなと思ってしまっているんですけど。

競技者としてのアスリートなのか、プロとしてのアスリートなのかに関しては、すごく線引きが曖昧で、じゃあここで僕が「プロになりました」と言ったらプロなのかといったら、そういう世界なのでそうとしか言い切れないところがあるんですけど。でも僕は気持ちとしてはそんなに大きく変わったつもりはないです。

とにかく、これからも常に夢に向かって目標に向かって努力していきたいなと思いますし、より責任を持って、自分の発言に責任を持って、自分の行動に責任を持ってアスリートとして、これからも自分の活動を全うしていきたいという気持ちでいます。

4回転半ジャンプも成功させて、それを皆さんと共有できたり、皆さんの前で成功させられたりしたらいいなと強く思っています。

Q: As an athlete, what do you think you have been able to achieve so far, and what do you want to continue to pursue in the future?

Y: I want to continue to always challenge myself. To be honest, I think it's very difficult to draw a line between the two in my mind.

The line between being an athlete as a competitor and a professional athlete is very blurred. And I don't think my thoughts and feelings have changed so much.

In any case, I would like to continue to always strive towards my dreams and goals, and I would like to continue to do my activities as an athlete with more responsibility, to accept responsibility for what I say and how I act.

I strongly hope that I can also succeed in the quadruple and a half jump and can share it or succeed in front of everyone.

――プロのアスリートとして今後の活動を続けられると思いますが、具体的な計画や新たな活動について、現時点で考えられていることはありますでしょうか。

自分の中で考えてることだったりとか、ちょっと話し合った段階でしかないんですけど、具体的には色々と進めているようとしていることがあります。

それを言ってしまうと、まだまだ自分の頭の中の構成を伝えただけなので、実際実現できるかどうかもわからないし、具体的にそれを言うのははばかられてしまうので申し訳ないんですけど。

ただ、例えば競技者としてやってきた時は、試合前の露出だったり、試合で演技をしたりとか、そういったことに限られてきましたけど、もっともっと今の時代に合ったスケートの見せ方とか、ファンの方々であったり、本当にスケートを見たことがない方も含めて、これだったら見たいかなと思うようなショーであったり、応援してくださる方々が納得できるような場所だったり、演技だったり、そういったものを続けていきたいなって思います。

ざっくりとしか言えないんですけども。具体的に期間とかは言うのはちょっと難しいんですけど、ぜひ期待してほしいなって思っています。すいませんこんなコメントしかできなくて申し訳ないです。

Q: You will continue to work as a professional athlete, but do you have any specific plans or new activities in mind at the moment?

Y: In my mind, I'm only at the stage of thinking about it and discussing it a bit, but there are some specific ideas that I'm working on.

When I say that, I'm sorry that I can't be more specific, as I can't even be sure if I can actually realise it, and I can only say that I have a concept in my head.

But when I was competing, for example, I was limited to performing in competitions or pre-competition appearances, but I would like to continue to show skating in ways that are more suitable for our current time, shows that fans, including those who have never really seen skating before, would want to see, or places and performances that would be satisfying for those who are supporting us, I would like to continue with such things.

I can only give you a rough idea. It's difficult to give a specific time frame, but I hope you'll look forward to it. I'm sorry I can only make this kind of comment.

――決断に至った時期、競技生活を離れようと思った時期があったら教えていただきたいのと、そこに至るまでの最大の決め手は何でしょうか。

そうですね、競技者としてここで終了というか、プロになりたいなと思うことは多々ありました。いろんな場面でありました。

先ほども言ったように、平昌オリンピックが終わった時に思いましたし、次のステージに向かいたいっていう…。

ネガティブで引退とか、不思議ですよね、フィギュアスケートって、現役がアマチュアしかないみたいな印象があって。

すごく不思議だなと僕は思っているんですけど。実際、甲子園出場したの選手が野球をそこまで頑張っていました、甲子園優勝しました、プロになりましたっていうのは、それは引退なのかなって。そんなこと言われたらそんなことないじゃないですか。

僕はそれと同じだと思っていて。むしろここからがスタートで、これからどうやって自分を見せていくのか、どれだけ頑張っていけるのかが大事だと思っているので。そういう意味では、新たなスタートを切ったなと思っています。

先程の質問の、「いつプロに転向しようと考えたか」っていう話だと、毎試合、毎試合思っていました。平昌オリンピックが終わって、試合が終わるごとに色々考えて、本当に色んなことを考えて。「これ努力してる方向間違っているのかな」とか、「頑張れていないのかな」とか、考えながら競技をしてきました。

結果として最終的な決断に至ったのは北京オリンピック終わってからです。帰ってきて、しばらくして、自分の足首を治すための期間として、治すための期間というか、痛くて滑れなかったので、その期間に、色々考えたときに、もう別にここのステージにいつまでもいる必要はないかなって思って。

より上手くなりたい、より強くなりたいって思って決断しました。実際に最後に先日、ファンタジーオンアイスというものがあったんですけれども、その時に滑らせていただいた時が、自分がアマチュアスケーターとして滑らせいただくのは対外的に最後だったんですけれども、その時にもまた改めて、「より高いステージに立ちたいな」と。「より一層努力したことが皆さんに伝わるステージに行きたいな」と思いました。

Q: Can you tell us when you made your decision and when you decided to leave the competitive life and what were the biggest deciding factors that led you to this point?

Y: Yes, there were many times when I thought that I wanted to finish my career as a competitor or become a professional at that point. This happened many times.

As I said earlier, I thought about it when the Pyeongchang Olympics were over and I thought about moving on to the next stage...

I was under the impression that figure skating in its current form is only an amateur sport, with retirement being negative, it's strange, isn't it?

I think it is very strange. In fact, when a baseball player works hard, wins a high school championship and becomes a professional player, I wonder if that means he is retired. That's not true, is it?

I think it's the same for me. Rather, I think this is a starting point, and it's important how I show myself from now on and how hard I can work. In that sense, I think this is a new start.

As for the previous question, "When did you decide to turn professional?", I was thinking about it after each and every competition. After the Pyeongchang Olympics, I really thought about a lot of things. "Am I making an effort in the wrong direction?", or "Am I not working hard enough?", I have been thinking about such things while competing. 

As a result, I didn't make the final decision until after the Beijing Olympics. After I came back, after a while, I had a period of time to heal my ankle, or rather to recover from the pain and I couldn't skate, so during that period, when I thought about it a lot, I decided that I didn't need to stay on this stage forever anymore.

I made the decision because I want to get better and stronger. The last time I skated as an amateur skater was at the Fantasy on Ice shows. I thought., 'I want to be on a stage where everyone can see that I've worked even harder'.

――オリンピックでメダルをとられて、様々な記録を打ち立てられて、どこかで満足するところがあるのかなと、取材する側として思っていたんですが、常に常に先を見続けてより強く、より高くというイメージがすごく強いんですが、羽生選手に何がそこまでかきたてるものがあるのでしょうか。

それはアスリートだからなのかなと強く思います。現状に満足した事は基本的にないですですし、とにかくうまくなりたいなと思ってました。

それが例えばジャンプであったとしても、フィギアスケートで求められている音楽的な表現であったとしても、常にうまくなることが楽しみというか、それがあったからスケートをやっていられるなと今になって思ってます。

自分の中では「スケート=生きている」というイメージがあって、生きる中でうまくいったり、いかなかったりということがあったり。

そこに対して何か言われたりとか、喜んでもらえたりとか、色々あったりもしますが、逆に何か停滞したりということも色々あったり、そういったことがスケートの中で感じられるなと思っていて。

それこそが自分にとってのフィギアスケートなのかなと思っているので、だから記録が取れたからとか、最高得点出せたから、難しいジャンプ飛べたからとかではなくて、普通に生きている中で、もっと難しいことをやりたいとか、単純にちっちゃい頃だったらもっと褒められたいとか、そういった気持ちだけで頑張ってこられた気がします。

Q: As an interviewer, I was thinking that after winning medals and setting various records at the Olympics, there might be a point where you are satisfied, but I have a strong image of Hanyu always looking ahead, always aiming stronger and higher. What makes you so determined to do so?

Y: I strongly believe that this is why I am an athlete. I've basically never been satisfied with my current level, and I just always want to get better.

Whether it is, for example, jumps or the musical expression required in figure skating, I always look forward to getting better, and now I think that's why I am skating.

I have an image of skating = living, and in living, some things go well and others don't.

Sometimes I receive compliments, or people are happy about my skating, but on the other hand, there are also many times when I stagnate, and I can feel this in my skating.

I think that's what figure skating is for me, so it's not only about getting a record, or the highest score, or a difficult jump, but also about doing something more difficult in my daily life, or simply wanting to be praised more when I was a little kid. I feel like I've been able to work hard just because of those feelings.

――昨年あたり、「今の自分が一番うまい」とおっしゃっていたことが印象に残っています。実際そうだとも思います。勝手ながらもったいないなとも思うんですが、競技会の緊張感が恋しくなったりすることはありませんか。

競技会の緊張感が恋しくなることは絶対ないと言い切れます。それは先ほどお話しした中で、今後の活動について色々と考えている中で、競技会の緊張感を味わったりしてもらいたいなと思っているので。

競技会や大会を作ったりとか、そういうことは考えていないんですけど、皆さんが応援したくなるような羽生結弦って、挑戦し続ける姿だったり、独特の緊張感があったりとか、そういった中での演技だと思っているので。そういうのを感じてもらえるような、競技者じゃなくなったから気が緩むなと見られるようなスケートではなくて、より毎回緊張できるような、全力でやってるからこその緊張感をまた味わっていただけるようなスケートをしたいと思っているので、それはないかなと。

むしろもっと緊張させてしまうかもしれないですし、僕自身もっと緊張するかもしれないですし。一つ一つの演技を全体力と全神経をそそいで、ある意味では死力を尽くしたい。

Q: I remember that you said around last year that you are now at your best. I think that's actually true. I think selfishly it's a pity / a waste, and I wonder if you will ever miss the tension of competitions?

Y: I can tell you that I will never miss the tension of competition. As I mentioned earlier, I would like people to experience the excitement and tension of competitions in my future activities.

I'm not thinking of creating competitions or competitive events, or anything like that, but I think the kind of Yuzuru Hanyu that makes everyone want to cheer for him, the way he keeps challenging himself, the unique tension in his performance, and so on. I would like to skate in such a way that people can feel that, so that they can see that I don't relax now that I'm not a competitor anymore, but I would like to skate in such a way that everyone can be nervous and feel the tension again, because I'm giving my all.

In fact, I might make them more nervous, and I myself might be more nervous. I want to give each performance all my energy and all my nerves, and in a sense, I want to do my best to the utmost of my ability.

――羽生選手が戦ってこられた時代というのは、4回転が過熱して、それでもチャンピオンとして高いレベルで、4回転アクセルに象徴されるように、ひっぱってこられたと思いますが、チャンピオンでありながらリードしてきたことについてどう思っているのか、また今後、ほかの選手も4回転に挑戦したり、もしかしたら5回転ということも出てくるかもしれませんが、これからの期待と感想をお願いします。

僕がフィギュアスケートを始めてすごくあこがあこがれを持ったトップの選手の時代は、4回転ジャンプがプログラムの中に2本入っていたらすごいことでした。

今みたいに4回転ジャンプが何種類も跳べるわけではないですし、1種類で2本とか、トリプルアクセルがあったりとか、そういう時代でした。それから4回転がなくなったりとか、4回転を跳ばなくても勝てる時代が来たりとか、色々あって現在に至っています。

でも僕が好きだった、僕が好きなフィギュアスケートは、やっぱり僕自身があこがれた時代のスケートなんですね。

あの時代、4回転ジャンプ3本跳んだら優勝なのかと言われたらそんなこともなくて。トリプルアクセルいっぱい跳んだから勝てるのかと言われたら、そんなこともなくて。

もっともっと心から何かを感じられるような演技、この人の演技見たいなって思えるような演技をこれからもし続けたいなと思っています。

そういう演技を自分がやってこられたかどうかは自分では評価しきれないんですけど、これから僕自身がそういう演技をもっとしたいなと思ってますし、これからの競技フィギュアスケート会というのがまたルールが変わって、毎年ルールがちょっとずつ変更があるんですけど、またいろんなことがあるかもしれないですけど、僕が大好きだった時代の、僕が追い求めている理想の形のフィギュアスケートをさらに追い求めたいなと思います。

Q: During your competitive career, the quadruple jumps have increased dramatically, and yet, as a champion, you have been consistently pushing at the highest level, such as with your quadruple Axel, I think. And in the future, other athletes may try quads, or maybe even quintuplets, but what are your thoughts and expectations for the future?

Y: When I first started figure skating, I was very much in awe of the top athletes, and if there were two quadruple jumps in a program, it was an amazing achievement.

It wasn't like now where you can jump several different kinds of quadruple jumps, but two of the same kind, or a triple axel, and so on. Then, there were times when quadruples disappeared, or when you could win even without a quadruple jump.

But the figure skating I used to like, the figure skating I like, is the skating of the era I myself looked up to.

In those days, people didn't necessarily jump three quadruple jumps to win a championship. It wasn't like that, even if you jumped only a triple Axel, you could win.

I would like to continue to perform in such a way that people can feel something more from the bottom of their hearts, and that they want to watch my performance.

I can't really evaluate whether I've been able to do such performances or not, but I'd like to do more such performances from now on, and I'm sure that the rules of competitive figure skating will change again, as they do every year. I would like to pursue the ideal form of figure skating, which I have been pursuing since I started to love it.

――北京オリンピックの時、「報われない努力だったかもしれないけど」という発言があったと思います。競技者としての努力をどのように振り返りますか。また、それはプロスケーターとしてどのようにつながっていくと思いますか。

平昌オリンピックで連覇した時点で競技を終えて、プロとしてさらに上手くなっていきたいなと思ったという時期があったという話をしましたが、あのままの自分だったら、今のこの自分の努力の仕方だったりとか、自分がどうやったら上手くなるかとか、それを感じられないまま終わってしまったかもしれないなと。本当の意味で終わってしまったかもしれないなと思いました。

あの頃は、まだまだ4回転ジャンプをルッツ、フリップという、ある意味、今の新時代を象徴するようなジャンプが増えてきている段階でもありましたけども、ジャンプたちを追い求めて、またフィギュアスケートの、いわゆる一番うまくなれる時期っていうか、フィギュアスケーターってこれぐらいの年齢で競技終えるよねって、これからうまくならないよねとか、停滞したりとか、維持するのが大変だよねっていう年齢が、大体23歳とか24歳で切り替わってしまうというのが定番みたいなものでした。

だけど僕自身は、23歳で平昌オリンピックを終えて、それから今の今まで本当にジャンプの技術も含めてかなり成長できたと思っているんですね。

それはどういう努力をしたらいいかとか、どういう工夫をしていけばいいのかとか、そういうのが分かったからこそ今があるんだなと思ってます。そういう意味で今が1番うまいんじゃないかなと思ってます。

その経験があったからこそ、これからもたとえ自分が30になろうとも、40近くなることも、40までスケートやっているかちょっとわからないですけど(笑)、今まではこの年齢だからできなくなるなって思ったことが、なくなるんじゃないかなって、ちょっとワクワクします。

そういう意味ではやっぱり、北京オリンピックまでやり続けてきて、本当に努力し続けて、これ以上ないくらい努力したと言えるくらい頑張ってきて本当に良かったなと思いますし、これからも改めていろんな努力の仕方だったりとか、頑張り方だったりとか、色々試行錯誤しながら上手くなっていけたらいいなと思っています。

Q: During the Beijing Olympics, you said, "It was an effort that may not have been rewarded". How do you look back on your efforts as a competitor? And how do you think it will connect to you as a professional skater?

Y: I mentioned that there was a time when I thought about finishing my competitive career when I won back-to-back titles at the Pyeongchang Olympics and wanting to become even better as a professional, but if I hadn't continued, I might not have been able to feel how I can work hard now and how I can improve. I think it might have really ended.

At that time, I was still working on quadruple jumps, Lutz and Flip, which in a way, symbolised the new era of figure skating, but I was still pursuing jumps, and I was also thinking about the best age for figure skaters, or the age when figure skaters can be at their best. It was a standard belief that figure skaters would finish at this age, that they would not get better, or that they would stagnate, or that it would be difficult to maintain their skills, and that they would usually end competition at the age of 23 or 24. 

But I myself was 23 at the Pyeongchang Olympics, and since then I think I've really improved a lot, including my jumping technique.

I think I'm here now because I understand what kind of efforts I should make, what kind of methods I should use, and so on. In that sense, I think I'm at my best now.

Because of that experience, in the future, no matter if I turn 30 or almost 40, and I'm not sure if I'll still be skating until 40 (laughs), I think the things I used to think I wouldn't be able to do because of my age, will disappear. 

In that sense, I am really happy that I have continued to work hard until the Beijing Olympics, and that I have worked so hard that I can say that I have worked harder than ever before, and that I will continue to work in different ways of making efforts and doing my best, through trial and error. I hope to get even better.

――競技者としては絶対王者と呼ばれて、日々の言動からも、人間性を高く評価されたアスリートだと思います。我々から見ると、いつも完璧に映って見えるんですが、競技人生の区切りを迎えた今、正直に言って、羽生結弦として生きてきて大変だったこととか、今だから明かせる自身の存在について、重荷になったことというのはなかったのでしょうか。

僕という定義が分かんなくなっちゃって難しいんですけど、僕にとって羽生結弦という存在は常に重荷です。すごく重たいです。

こうやって会見でお話しさせていただく時も、登壇させていただく時とかも、決意表明して下さい言われた時とかも、ものすごく緊張して、今まで考えてきたことが全て吹っ飛んでしまうぐらい、手足も真っ青になってしまうぐらい緊張していました。

自分自身も完璧でいたいって強く願いますし、これからも完璧でいたいって、もっといい羽生結弦でいたいって思ってしまうので、これからもまた重いなって、色んなプレッシャーを感じながら過ごすことになってしまうと思うんですけど。

でもその中で、こういう姿を見て応援してくださる方々がたくさんいらっしゃいますし、また北京オリンピックのように、自分がちょっと心が崩れてきてしまった時とか、あの時努力が報われなかったとか、報われない努力があるんだとか、幸せって本当に心の中から言えないとか、色んな言葉を言ってしまいましたけど、そういった自分がいることも皆さんにわかっていただいたり、そういう自分を応援してくれる方々がいることもうれしいなとは思います。

いつもいつも羽生結弦って重たいなと思いながら過ごしていますけど。それでも羽生結弦という存在に恥じないように生きてきたつもりですし、これからも生きていく中で羽生結弦として生きていきたいなと思いますし、先程の決意表明の中で話したように、自分の心を蔑ろにする事はしたくないなと。これまで演技をしていくに当たって、本当に心が空っぽになってしまうようなこともたくさんありましたし。

訳もなく涙が流れてきたりとか、ご飯が通らなかったりとか。そういったことも多々ありました。

正直言われないことも言われたりとか、そんなたたかなくてもいいじゃんということもあったりとか、正直色んなことがありました。

人間としても色んな人が信頼できなくなったり、誰を信用していいのか分からなくなったりすることもありました。

でもそれは多分、羽生結弦だからではなくて、皆さんがそう思っているんだと思いますし、大なり小なり皆さんがつらいんだなと思ってます。

だからこそ僕自身がこれからも生きていく中で、生活していく中で、心を大切にしてもいいんじゃないかなって。

もっと自分の心が空っぽになってしまう前に、自分のことを大切にしてきてくださった方々と同じように、自分自身も大切にしていかなきゃいけないなというふうに今は思っています。

なので皆さんも、自分を応援することで色んなことを感じていただけたり、生活の一部だとか、生きがいだとか言ってくれることはとてもうれしいいですし、それにこれからもやっていくつもりです。ただそういった中でも、自分の心を大切にするようなきっかけの一つであったらいいなと思います。

Q: As a competitor, you are called an absolute champion, and from what you say and do on a daily basis, you are an athlete who is highly respected for his humanity. From our point of view, you always seem to be perfect, but now that you have reached the end of your athletic career, can you honestly say if there were any difficulties in your life as Yuzuru Hanyu, or if there were any burdens that weighed on your existence that you can reveal only now?

Y: It's difficult to define who I am, but being Yuzuru Hanyu has always been a heavy weight for me. It's very heavy.

I was so nervous to speak at this press conference, to take the stage, and to make a statement, that everything I was thinking was blowing away, and my hands and feet went blue.

I strongly wish to be perfect myself, and I want to continue to become a more perfect Yuzuru Hanyu, so I think I will have to spend my time feeling heavy and under a lot of pressure again.

But amidst all this, there are many people who see me like this and cheer me on, and I am also happy that, like at the Beijing Olympics, when I was feeling a bit crushed and said things like my efforts were not rewarded or that I cannot really say I am happy from the bottom of my heart, but people understood it, and I am happy that there were people who were willing to support such a person like me.

I always spend my time thinking that being Yuzuru Hanyu is always heavy, though. Even so, I've lived my life without being ashamed of being Yuzuru Hanyu, and I want to continue to live as Yuzuru Hanyu in my life, and as I said earlier in my statement of determination, I want to be careful about my heart. There have been many times in the past when my heart has been really empty in my performances.

Tears flowed for no reason, or I couldn't eat any food. There were many such things.

There were things said about me that honestly should not be said, and honestly, there were many other things.

As a human being, I have lost trust in many people and sometimes I don't know who I can trust.

But that's probably not because I'm Yuzuru Hanyu, I think everyone feels that way, and I think it's hard for everyone, in big and small ways.

That's why I think it's okay for me to take care of my heart as I continue to live my life.

I think now that I should take care of myself as well as the people who have always taken care of me, before my heart becomes more empty.

So I am grateful that everybody feels various things by supporting me, and that they say that it is part of their life or that it is motivation for them to continue their lives. I also hope that I can be a reason for people to cherish their own hearts and minds.

――プロのアスリートとおっしゃいましたが、アスリートという言葉を使ったということは、気持ちの中で引退でもないし、プロというのはアスリートなんだという強いメッセージだと受け取りました。だからこそアスリートとしての羽生選手に、クワッドアクセルはどれぐらい自分の手中にあり、続けると宣言したからには、手応えが北京よりも(今が)いいとかあると思います。クワッドアクセルについての決意をもう一度お願いします。

正直な話、フィギュアスケートってそんな苦しいところ見せたいけないと自分の中では思っていて。

演技している時、めちゃくちゃ頑張ってるんですけど本当は。「キス・アンド・クライ」という点数が発表されるところがあるんですが、そこで倒れる込むわけにいかないんですけど、僕ら本当に倒れこむぐらい、全力で毎回滑ってます。

そういった中でも、アイスショーってやっぱり、華やかな舞台であったりとか、エンターテイメントみたいなイメージがあると思うんですけど、もっともっと僕はアスリートらしくいたいなって。

もっともっと難しいことにチャレンジしたりとか、挑戦し続ける姿、戦い続ける姿をもっと皆さんに見ていただきたいなと。期待していただきたいなと思って、今回この言葉たちを選びました。

実際4回転半に関しては、北京オリンピックですごくいい体験ができたと思ってますし、実際あの時は痛み止めの注射を打ってしまっているからこそ、何も感じなかったからこそ、何も怖くなかったということがあって、本当に全力を出し切って4回転半に挑むことができたんですけど、今現在、右足首の回復を待ったりとか、あの時は本当に4回転のためにずっと努力していたと言っても過言ではないので、それに比べると最近、アイスショーがあったりとかで、4回転半に時間を取れなかったので、あのこれよりも下手くそになっちゃってるかもしれないんですけど。

今現在、4回半の練習を常にやっています。実際にあのころ得た知見があったからこそ、北京オリンピックとそしてその前にも色んな知見を得られたからこそ、現段階でももっとこうやればいいんだなとか、もっとこうできるんだなという手ごたえがありますし、ここ最近、アイスショーに出させていただいたりとか、そういった中でこういう視点があったんだなということも、毎日のように発見があって、そういう意味で、これからさらにうまくなっていけるんだなっていう自分への期待とワクワク感がある状態です。

実際にはあの頃よりも下手くそになってしまってるかもしれないんですけど、でもきっと北京オリンピックの時はもう伸びしろないのかなと思ったんですけど、今は伸びしろいっぱい感じてます。期待してください。ありがとうございます。

Q: You said you are now a professional athlete, and I understood your use of the word athlete as a strong message that you are not retired in your mind, and that you are a professional athlete. That's why I think that for Hanyu as an athlete, the quad Axel is still in your mind, and since you declared that you would continue working on it, I think that you have better results (now) than in Beijing. Please give us your determination about the quad Axel once again.

Y: To be honest, in my mind, the painful parts of figure skating shouldn't be shown.

When I'm performing, I'm really trying my hardest. There's a part where the scores are announced, called 'Kiss and Cry', and you can't break down there, but each time I perform, I really give it my all, to the point of breaking down.

I think ice shows have an image of being a glamorous stage or entertainment, but I want to be more like an athlete.

I want everyone to see me taking on more and more difficult challenges and continuing to try and fight. I chose these words because I want everyone to have high expectations of me.

In fact, as for the quadruple and a half, I think I had a great experience at the Beijing Olympics, and in fact, at that time, because I had painkiller injections, I didn't feel anything, so I didn't have any fear, and I could really give it my all and try to do the quadruple and a half, but... Now, I'm waiting for my right ankle to recover, and it's no exaggeration to say that I really worked hard for the quadruple and a half at that time, so compared to that, recently, with ice shows and such, I didn't have time to work on it, so I probably have become worse at it.

At the moment, I am currently practising the quadruple and a half constantly. I have a feeling that I can do more in this way and more in that way at the current level, because of the knowledge I gained at the Beijing Olympics and before that, and recently, when I have been invited to perform in ice shows, I have been discovering new things every day, and in that sense, I am excited and hopeful that I can get better from here onwards.

In fact, I may not be as good as I was back then, but at the Beijing Olympics I was feeling like I had no more room to improve, but now I feel like I have a lot of room to improve. Please have high expectations for me. Thank you very much.

――私は今日、ファンの人の代わりにここに入れてもらったと思っているので、ファンの人というのは羽生選手にとってどんな存在ですか。改めてファンの人に言葉をいただけますでしょうか。

改めて、一言で言うのは難しいんですけど、応援してくださる方がいるから、僕がここで話すことができて、スケートをやってくれて、これからもスケートをさらに突き詰めていこうって思えています。

正直、先ほども言ったように、自分が特別な存在とか、自分が特別な力があるとか、そんなことは全く思ってなくて。

人一倍、皆さんに応援していただけるからこそ力があったりとか、応援の力があるから、僕はうまくなってるだけなんだなってすごく思ってます。

これが例えば10人ぐらいにしか応援されてなかったりしたら、きっと10人の方々の気持ちを受け取るだけで目一杯になってしまって、こんなにスケートだけに没頭できる日々はなかったかなと思います。

ただその中で、皆さんがたくさん期待して下さって、その期待に応えると、またより多くの人が期待して下さって。そんな循環が僕が本当に大切だったし、そんな循環をこれからもさらに続けていきたいですし、皆さんの期待に応えれるような演技を続けていきたいなと思うので。

正直、僕の心の底からの今の気持ちは、どうかこれからも期待してやって下さいということと、これからも見てやって下さいという気持ちが自分の本音です。

なんかここで「ありがとうございました」じゃないというのは正直、自分が一番思っていて、全然終わらないので、引退でも何でもないので、ここからさらにうまくなるし、さらに見る価値があるなって思ってもらえるような演技をするために努力していくので。これからもどうか応援してやってください。よろしくお願いします。

Q: Today I feel that I am here to represent the fans, so what do the fans mean to Hanyu? Could you say a few words to your fans here now?

Y: Once again, it's hard to put it into one word, but it's because of the people who support me that I'm able to be here to give statements, to skate and to continue to push skating further.

To be honest, as I said earlier, I don't think that I am special or that I have any special power at all.

I think I'm only successful because of the power of the support I get from everyone, because I have more support than others.

I think that if I had only had the support of, say, 10 people, I would surely be so occupied with receiving their feelings that I wouldn't have been able to devote my days to skating as much as I do now.

However, within that, everyone has high expectations of me, and when I meet those expectations, even more people have high expectations of me. That kind of cycle was really important to me, and I would like to continue that cycle in the future, and I would like to continue performing in such a way that I can meet everyone's expectations.

To be honest, my true feelings at the moment from the bottom of my heart are that please continue to have expectations of me and please continue to watch me.

To be honest, I feel the most that this is not the moment to say 'arigatougozaimashita' [t/n: 'thank you' in past tense], because it's not the end at all, it's not retirement or anything, I'm going to get even better from here, and I'm going to work hard to give performances that people will think are even more worth watching. Please continue to support me. Thank you very much for your support.

――先ほど、これから「心を大切に」とおっしゃってましたけが、プロのアスリートとなるにあたって、今後人生の最優先事項として三つ挙げるとしたら、どういうものかありますでしょうか。

ありがとうございます(笑)。三つかあ、難しいなぁ。三つ、そうですね…成功させられる努力をまずすること。それが自分とって一番優先、一番上の優先事項ですかね。それは4回転半も含めてです。4回転半も成功させたいですし。

自分自身が目標としている演技たちだったりとか、ここであえて「演技たち」って言っちゃいましたけど、色々な演技をしていくにあたって、絶対にあの頃よりうまいんだぞって、過去の自分よりうまくなったなって、言ってもらえるような、理想としている演技ができるよう努力をしていきたい。それが今の自分にとっての第一の優先事項です。

あと二つ。そうですね。うわあ、難しいなあ。これはプロになったからとか、そういうのではないのかもしれませんけど、人間として美しくありたいと思ってます。

言葉で全部を表現するの難しいんですけど、たとえ明日の自分が、今の自分を見たとしても、ちゃんと「ああ、昨日の自分は頑張ったな」って、思ってもらえるような自分を常に大切にしていきたいなと思いますし、一生胸を張って生きていける生き方をしていきたいなと思います。

そして三つ目は、うーんと、難しいですね。そうですね、うーん、なんかあるかな。あっ、はい。勉強を怠らない、常に勉強し続けるということを三つ目にあげたいなと思います。

もちろんスポーツとしてのフィギアスケートの競技というところからは抜けて、違う新たなステージに、一歩高いところに上がっていくと自分の中で位置づけているんですけど、これからもずっとずっと勉強していきたいなと思ってます。

色んなこと、自分自身、最近ダンスをうまくなりたいなとか、氷上でうまく使えないかなと思ったりとか。力学のことだったりとか、運動学だったりとか、人間工学だったりとか。

またはパフォーマンスの、どういう風に見られるのか、どう評価するのかとか。そういうのも含めてこれからもどんどん勉強して、どんどん深い人間になっていきたいなって、深いフィギュアスケーターとしてなっていきたいなと思うので、常に勉強し続けられる、アップデートし続けられる人間になりたいなと思ってます。

Q: You mentioned earlier that you are going to "take care of your heart", but if you had to pick three things as your top priorities in life as a professional athlete, what would they be?

Y: Thank you (laughs). Three, oh, that's difficult. Three, well... the first thing is to make the effort to succeed. I think that is my first priority, my top priority. That includes the quadruple and a half, and I want to succeed in the quadruple and a half too.

I'd like to make an effort to give the kind of performances that I myself aim for, or, and I dare to use the word 'performances' here, the kind of performances that I want to give, so that people will say that I'm better than I was before, that I've become better than I was in the past, and that I can give the kind of performances that are ideal for me. I want to do my best. That is my first priority at the moment.

Two more. Right. Well, that's difficult. Maybe this is not because I've become a professional or anything, but I want to be beautiful as a human being.

It's difficult to express everything in words, but if tomorrow's me were to look at the me of today, I want to always value myself in a way that I can say, "Oh, I did my best back then", and I want to live my life in a way that I can be proud of for the rest of my life.

And the third one is, umm, difficult. Yes, umm, I don't know, I don't know what it is. Ah, yes. I would like to give you the third one, which is to never neglect my studies and to always keep studying.

Of course, I am leaving the competition of figure skating as a sport and moving up to a new stage, a step higher, but I would like to continue to study for a long time to come.

There are many things, recently I want to get better at dancing, and I think I can use it successfully on the ice. There are many things, like mechanics, kinematics, ergonomics, and so on.

Or how my performance is seen, how it is evaluated. I want to continue to learn more and more about all these things, to become a more and more sophisticated person, a more and more complex figure skater, so I want to be a person who can keep learning, who can keep evolving.

Text source: https://globe.asahi.com/article/14673858

2 hours ago, birnasan said:

I haven‘t read much here in the last few days and don‘t know what was already shared.

In case there is not yet a full translation of the press conference, here is my full deepL translation. It is only a rough translation, because the text is really long, I am emotionally exhausted and I know that we will get a perfect AWW translation as soon as they have recovered.

Please be aware that it is an automatic translation and don‘t trust every word or sentence.

! Do not repost outside of Planethanyu ! 

Hide contents

こんにちは羽生結弦です。このたびは、このような場に皆さん集まって下さって、本当にありがとうございます。最初にもう一つだけ感謝を述べさせていただきます。

先の一部報道であった通り、色んなことを言われてしまいましたが、その中でも自分のこと、そしてここまで応援してくださっているファンの方々を含め、色んなことを考えながら気持ちを大切にしていただきながら、自分が決意を表明することを、常にメディアで発信してくださった方々に対し、深く深くお礼をさせてください。本当にありがとうございました。

これまでたくさんの応援のおかげで僕はここまで来られました。ここまで頑張ってこれました。そして、ここにいてくださっているメディアの方々、カメラマンの方々も含めて本当にたくさん応援していただきました。

そういった皆さんの応援の力の中で、羽生結弦としてフィギュアスケートを全うできるのが、本当に幸せです。まだまだ未熟な自分ですけれど、プロのアスリートとして、スケートを続けていくことを決意いたしました。

本当に、いやー、本当にあの、緊張してます。しがない自分なので、言葉遣いが悪かったり、噛んだりしても許してください。

これからもプロのアスリートとして、競技者として他のスケーターと比べ続けられることはなくなりました。

ただこれからは自分のことを認めつつ、また自分の弱さと、そして過去の自分とも戦い続けながら、これからも滑っていきたいと思っています。

そして4回転半ジャンプにもより一層取り組んで、皆さんの前で成功させられることを強く考えながら、これからも頑張っていきます。どうか戦い続ける姿をこれからも応援していただけたらうれしいです。

そして一人の人間として、自分の心を大切にしたり、守っていくという選択もしていきたいなと思っています。

僕がこれまで努力してきたこととか、そういったことが応援してくださる方々に評価していただいたり、見てもらいたり、そこで何かを感じていただけたり。そんなことが本当に僕は幸せです。その幸せも大切にしていきたいなと思っています。

色んな選択をしていく中で、失望したなとか、もう見たくないなとか思われてしまうと、とても悲しいですけど、それでも自分のスケートがやっぱり見たいなとか、見る価値があるなって思っていただけるように、これからも、もっともっと頑張っていきますので、どうか応援していただけたらうれしいです。

これまで応援して下さったたくさんの方々、今回もどんな決断でも、どんな時でも、今回のこんな会見でも、「頑張れ」って、「緊張するだろうけど応援してるよ」って、応援してくださるコメントを寄せて下さっていて、本当に僕はいつも救われています。本当にありがとうございました。

最後になりますが、羽生結弦として、一人の人間として、ここまで育てて下さった幼稚園、小学校、中学校、高校、大学と色んな先生方、そしてフィギアスケートを教えてくださった先生方、たくさんの先生方、本当にありがとうございました。

また自分の心を、自分のことを大切にしてくれた人たち、本当に、本当に、本当にありがとうございました。

僕は自分の口から決意を言いたいなと思っていたので、事前に大切な人たちに言うことができなかったんですけれど、それでも何も言わずに自分のことを大切にしてくれて、僕も大切な方々が本当に大切だなと思ったし、またこれからも大切にしていきたいなって思いました。本当に僕なんかのことを大切にして下さり、本当にありがとうございました。

これからもより一層頑張っていきます。まだ今までスケートを生で見たことがない方も含めて、「見てよかったな」って、「絶対見る価値があるな」とか、そう思っていただけるように、これからもさらに頑張っていきますので。

そして4回転半ジャンプを含めて挑戦を続けて、これからもさらに高いステージにいけるように頑張っていきます。

これからはプロのアスリートとして、そしてスポーツであるフィギアスケートを大切にしながら、加えて羽生結弦の理想を追い求めながら頑張っていきます。

どうかこれからも戦い抜く姿を応援して下さい。今日は本当にありがとうございます。まだまだ自分の口から自分の考えてきたことだけだと話せない事はいっぱいあるので、どうか質問いっぱい下さい。そしたらしゃべれると思うので。どうかよろしくお願いします。ありがとうございました。

Hello, I am Yuzuru Hanyu. I would like to thank you all for coming here to this occasion. First of all, I would like to say one more thank you.

Many things have been written about me, like some of the earlier reports, including about myself and the fans who have supported me so far, but I would like to express my deepest and most sincere gratitude to all of you who have constantly communicated my decisions in the media, while taking care of my feelings and thinking about many things. Please allow me to express my deepest and most sincere gratitude to all of you. Thank you very much indeed.

Thanks to all the support I have received so far, I have made it this far. I have worked so hard to get this far. I've also had a lot of support from the media and photographers who are here.

With the power of your support, I am really happy to do figure skating as Yuzuru Hanyu. I still feel like I'm a novice, but I've decided to continue skating as a professional athlete.

I'm really, well, really, you know, nervous. I am an inexperienced person, so please forgive me if I use bad language or speak poorly.

From now on, I will be a professional athlete and I will no longer be compared to other skaters as a competitor.

But from now on, I will continue to skate while recognising myself and also continuing to fight against my weaknesses and against my past self.

And I will continue to work even harder on my quadruple and a half jump, thinking strongly about being able to succeed in front of everyone. I hope you will continue to support me as I continue to fight.

And as a human being, I would also like to make a choice to take care of and protect my heart.

I am really happy when the people who are supporting me appreciate what I have been working on and what I have been doing, and when they see and feel something from it. Such things make me really happy. I want to cherish that happiness.

I would be very sad if people are disappointed or don't want to watch my skating anymore, but I will continue to work harder and harder so that people will still like watching me and think that my skating is worth watching. I would be very happy if you would continue to support me.

Many people who have supported me in the past, in every decision, in every moment, even in a press conference like this one, have sent me comments of support, telling me "go for it", "I know you must be nervous, but I'm rooting for you", and they have always really been a great source of help to me. Truly, thank you very much.

Last but not least, I would like to thank all my teachers from kindergarten, primary school, junior high school, high school and college who have raised me up to this point as Yuzuru Hanyu and as a human being, as well as the many teachers who have taught me figure skating.

And to those who have taken care of myself and my heart, I really, really, really want to thank you so much.

I wanted to announce my decision from my own mouth, so I couldn't tell all the people I who are close to me beforehand, but nevertheless they cared about me without saying anything, and I felt that they are really important to me, and I want to continue to cherish them in the future. Thank you so much for caring for me.

From now on, I will continue to work even harder, so that people, including those who have never seen skating live before, can enjoy watching it and think that it's definitely worth seeing.

And I will continue to challenge myself, including the quadruple and a half jump, so that I can reach even higher levels in the future.

From now on, I will do my best as a professional athlete and while valuing the sport of figure skating, and in addition, pursuing the ideals of Yuzuru Hanyu.

Please continue to support me in my fight. Thank you so much for being here today. There are still so many things left that I can't express only through my own thoughts, so please ask me a lot of questions. Then I will be able to speak. Please. Thank you very much.

――競技者として勝負の場から離れる決断に至ったのは何故でしょうか。またその決断に対して、寂しさはありますか。

寂しさは全然ないです。むしろ、今回この会見の案内文を考えていた時に、今後の活動についてとか、今後の活動に関してとかみたいなことを書いていただいたんですけど、自分の中でなんかそうじゃないなーって思って。

もっと決意に満ちあふれたものですし、もっと希望に満ちあふれたものだなぁと、自分の中で思っていたので、むしろ今は自分としてはこれからも期待してやってくださいって、胸を張って言えるという気持ちでいます。

なので寂しさは特にないです。これからさらに頑張っていきたいと思いますし、試合という限られた場所だけではなくて、もっと色んな方法で自分のスケートを見ていただく機会があるかなと思ってますし、作っていきたいなと考えているので、ぜひ楽しみにしていただきたいなと、自分では思っています。

Q: Why did you make the decision to leave the competitive arena as a competitor? And are you feeling any sadness in making that decision?

Y: I don't feel any sadness at all. Rather, when I was thinking about the invitation letter for this press conference, I was asked to write something about my future activities or something like that, but I thought to myself, that's somehow not what it is about.

I thought it would be more about determination and hope, and I feel that I can now proudly ask everyone to continue to look forward to it.

So I don't feel sad about it. I want to work even harder from now on, and I think there will be more opportunities for people to see me skate in many different ways, not just in the limited context of competitions, and I would like to create more opportunities for people to see me skate.

――羽生選手と言えばオリンピックに3回出場して二つの金メダルを獲得して、夢や感動希望を与えたと思います。ご自身が得たものも非常に多いのかなとも思います。今改めてオリンピックと言うものを振り返ってみて、一言で言うとどういうものでしょうか。

オリンピックはそうですね、もちろん自分にとっては2連覇できた、今の自分のこういう立場や、こういう発言をさせていただく場所だったりとか、そういうものを作ってくれている大切なものたちだなと思うんですけど、それプラス、北京オリンピックでもちろん、挑戦が成功したわけではないんですけど、それでも自分が夢を追い続けたりとか、頑張り続け、ある意味、それを証明できた場所でもあったと思うので。

そういう中で、そういう姿を見て下さり、「あーかっこいいな」とか、「応援したくなるな」とか、また自分自身がほんの一歩でもいいから前に進もうとか思っていただけるような機会になったことが、何よりもうれしいなと思ってます。

もちろん一つずつオリンピックに意味付けをしてしまうと、オリンピックというものに対して全部意味付けをしてしまうと、長くなっちゃうんですけど、僕にとっては自分が生きている証というか、そして皆さんと共に歩み続けた、頑張った証でもありますし、これから頑張っていくための土台でもあるかなと思います。

Q: When I think about Hanyu, you have participated in three Olympic Games and won two gold medals, and I think you have given people dreams and inspiration and hope. I think you have probably gained many things from it. Looking back on the Olympics now, what would you say it means to you in a few words?

Y: Well, of course the Olympics are important for me because I was able to win two consecutive gold medals, and also because they have established my current position where I can make such comments. However, in addition to that, of course the Beijing Olympics were not a place where I succeeded in my goals. But I think it was also a place where I continued to pursue my dreams and work hard, and in a way, I was able to prove that.

In that situation, I am more than happy that people saw me in such a way and it became an opportunity for them to say, "Oh, this is great!" or "I want to support him", or to think about moving forward themselves, even if it is only one step.

Of course, if I were to explain the meaning of each Olympics one by one, it would become a long story, but for me the Olympics are proof that I am living, proof that I have worked hard, and proof that I will continue to work hard in the future. I think it's also a foundation for me to work hard in the future.

――競技会にはもう出ないという決断と考えてよろしいでしょうか。その決断に至った経緯、揺れ動いたのかも含めて聞かせてください。

これから競技会というものに出るつもりはないです。僕がこれまでやってきた中で、もう競技会に対して、結果ということに対して、取るべきものは取れたなと思ってますし、そこに対する評価をもう求めなくなってしまったという気持ちもあります。それがここまで至った経緯です。

そして、自分が揺れ動いたことはもちろんあったんですけど、そもそも平昌オリンピックの時点でもう引退しようと思っていて。

引退という言葉が好きじゃないのであまり使いたくないんですけど、僕が16歳か17歳のときのインタビューで、「2連覇したらどうするんですか」と言われたときに、「いやそこからがスタートです」って、本当に自分の心の中から言える時期があって、今本当にそういう気持ちでいます。

自分の中では平昌オリンピックからプロのスケーターとして、プロのアスリートとしてスタートするんだって思ってたんですけど、4回転半だったりとか、四大陸選手権も含めて、金メダルを取れていない試合が何個かあったので、それを取りたいと思って続けました。

4回転半にこだわり続けた結果、北京オリンピックまでついたんですけど、今の自分の考えとしては別に競技会じゃなくてもいいじゃんて思ってしまっています。

自分でこれから努力したい方向だったりとか、自分が理想としているフィギュアスケートという形だったりとか、そういうものを追い求めるのは競技会じゃなくてもできるなって。

むしろ競技会じゃないところの方が皆さんに見ていただけるんじゃないかなと思っていて、こういう決断をしました。これからも4回転半を含めてよりアスリートらしく頑張ってきたいなと思います。

Q: Is it correct to assume that you have decided to no longer compete in competitions? Can you tell us how you came to that decision, and if the decision was wavering?

Y: I don't intend to compete in competitions in the future. I feel that I have already achieved what I needed to achieve in terms of results in the competitions I have done so far, and I also feel that I don't want to be judged anymore. That's how I came to this point.

And of course there were moments when I was feeling shaken up, but actually I was already thinking of retiring at the time of the Pyeongchang Olympics initially.

I don't like the word 'retire' so I don't use it too much, but in an interview when I was 16 or 17 years old, when I was asked, "What will you do after winning two consecutive titles?", I said from the bottom of my heart, "That will be the starting point", and really that's how I feel right now.

In my mind, I always thought that I would start as a professional skater and athlete from the PyeongChang Olympics, but there were a few competitions that I had not won, like the Four Continents Championships, so I kept on trying to win those gold medals, and also to include the quadruple and a half. 

As a result of my commitment to the quadruple and a half, I ended up at the Beijing Olympics, but my current thinking is that I don't really have to compete in competitions any more.

I think I can pursue the direction I want to work towards, my ideal form of figure skating, even if it's not in a competition.

I made this decision because I think that people will be more interested in my skating when I am not in a competition. I would like to continue to do my best, including the quadruple and a half, becoming even better as an athlete.

――これだけ実績を残されて、社会の中でも羽生選手の言動だったり、ものすごく影響与えたり、色んな人を喜ばせたりしている中で、そのような存在になれた、自分にしかない特徴、自分の中で持っているものは何でしょうか。

自分で実感があまりないのでわからないんですけど、ただ、今この場所にいる羽生結弦としては、客観視して本当にすごく遠くから、例えば今カメラさんがいる場所からとか、上から見たら、羽生結弦ってどういう存在かなとか….。たくさん応援してくれるからこそ、ここにいられるんですね。

別に羽生結弦が何かを持っているからとか、僕自身が何かをしてきたからとか、そういうのではなくて、色んな環境の変化があったりとか、色んなことで自分の演技を見ていただいたり、発言をさせせていただく場所があったり、聞いていただける場所があったりすることによって、僕は特別応援していただける、本当に運のいい人間なんだなと思っていて。

それが僕自身も、もっと頑張っていかなきゃいけないとか、より色んなことを考えたりとか、どんな言葉がいいのだろうかとか、どんなことを考えていけばいいのだろうかとか、そういうことを考えさせて下さるきっかけになっていたので。

別に作り上げているわけではないんですけど、そうやって皆さんに応援していただけるからこそ、たくさんの方々が応援してくれてるからこそ、僕はここで発信できる、発言できるんだなと強く思いますし、その上で、僕自身もその期待に応えられるように、その期待をさらに越えていけるようにしていきたいなと思えたので、そんな感じでやってこれたのかなと思います。

ただやっぱり、僕はアスリートでしかないと思っていて、これから色んな演技をしていったりとか、スケート続けていくにあたって、色んな面が見えてりすると思うんですね。その中で、やっぱり芸能人とかアイドルでも何でもないですし、やっぱりアスリートとして格好いいなと、アスリートとして色んな希望とか夢とかを見せてもらえるなって思ってもらえるような存在として、これからも努力していきたいなと今は思っています。

Q: What characteristics have made you such a successful athlete and such an influential figure in society, with your words and actions, and the happiness you are giving to so many people?

Y: I don't know, because I don't really feel this myself, but just as Yuzuru Hanyu, who is here now, I can look at him objectively from very far away, for example, from where the camera is, or from above, and look what kind of person Yuzuru Hanyu is... I think I am in this place because of a lot of support I have received.

It's not because Yuzuru Hanyu is unique or because of something I've done myself, but because of the many different circumstances, the many places where I've been able to perform, and the places where I've been allowed to speak and be heard, that I've been able to receive special support, which has made me a really lucky person. 

Because of that, it made me think about how I need to work harder, what kind of words I should use, what kind of things I should think about, and so on.

It's not that I'm just inventing this, but it's because of your support, because of the support of so many people, that I feel strongly that I can communicate and speak here, and I also want to live up to those expectations and even exceed them. I think that's what I've been doing.

But I think I'm just an athlete, and I'm sure I'll discover many different aspects of myself as I continue to skate and perform in various ways. In that context, I am not a celebrity or an idol or anything like that, and I want to continue to work hard to be an athlete who people think is exciting and who can show them many hopes and dreams as an athlete.

――競技者として羽生さんがこれまで貫けたなと思うこと、そしてこれからも貫いていきたいなと思うことを改めて教えてください。

常に挑戦し続けることは、これからも続けていきたいなと思います。正直、僕の中では線引きがとても難しいなと思ってしまっているんですけど。

競技者としてのアスリートなのか、プロとしてのアスリートなのかに関しては、すごく線引きが曖昧で、じゃあここで僕が「プロになりました」と言ったらプロなのかといったら、そういう世界なのでそうとしか言い切れないところがあるんですけど。でも僕は気持ちとしてはそんなに大きく変わったつもりはないです。

とにかく、これからも常に夢に向かって目標に向かって努力していきたいなと思いますし、より責任を持って、自分の発言に責任を持って、自分の行動に責任を持ってアスリートとして、これからも自分の活動を全うしていきたいという気持ちでいます。

4回転半ジャンプも成功させて、それを皆さんと共有できたり、皆さんの前で成功させられたりしたらいいなと強く思っています。

Q: As an athlete, what do you think you have been able to achieve so far, and what do you want to continue to pursue in the future?

Y: I want to continue to always challenge myself. To be honest, I think it's very difficult to draw a line between the two in my mind.

The line between being an athlete as a competitor and a professional athlete is very blurred. And I don't think my thoughts and feelings have changed so much.

In any case, I would like to continue to always strive towards my dreams and goals, and I would like to continue to do my activities as an athlete with more responsibility, to accept responsibility for what I say and how I act.

I strongly hope that I can also succeed in the quadruple and a half jump and can share it or succeed in front of everyone.

――プロのアスリートとして今後の活動を続けられると思いますが、具体的な計画や新たな活動について、現時点で考えられていることはありますでしょうか。

自分の中で考えてることだったりとか、ちょっと話し合った段階でしかないんですけど、具体的には色々と進めているようとしていることがあります。

それを言ってしまうと、まだまだ自分の頭の中の構成を伝えただけなので、実際実現できるかどうかもわからないし、具体的にそれを言うのははばかられてしまうので申し訳ないんですけど。

ただ、例えば競技者としてやってきた時は、試合前の露出だったり、試合で演技をしたりとか、そういったことに限られてきましたけど、もっともっと今の時代に合ったスケートの見せ方とか、ファンの方々であったり、本当にスケートを見たことがない方も含めて、これだったら見たいかなと思うようなショーであったり、応援してくださる方々が納得できるような場所だったり、演技だったり、そういったものを続けていきたいなって思います。

ざっくりとしか言えないんですけども。具体的に期間とかは言うのはちょっと難しいんですけど、ぜひ期待してほしいなって思っています。すいませんこんなコメントしかできなくて申し訳ないです。

Q: You will continue to work as a professional athlete, but do you have any specific plans or new activities in mind at the moment?

Y: In my mind, I'm only at the stage of thinking about it and discussing it a bit, but there are some specific ideas that I'm working on.

When I say that, I'm sorry that I can't be more specific, as I can't even be sure if I can actually realise it, and I can only say that I have a concept in my head.

But when I was competing, for example, I was limited to performing in competitions or pre-competition appearances, but I would like to continue to show skating in ways that are more suitable for our current time, shows that fans, including those who have never really seen skating before, would want to see, or places and performances that would be satisfying for those who are supporting us, I would like to continue with such things.

I can only give you a rough idea. It's difficult to give a specific time frame, but I hope you'll look forward to it. I'm sorry I can only make this kind of comment.

――決断に至った時期、競技生活を離れようと思った時期があったら教えていただきたいのと、そこに至るまでの最大の決め手は何でしょうか。

そうですね、競技者としてここで終了というか、プロになりたいなと思うことは多々ありました。いろんな場面でありました。

先ほども言ったように、平昌オリンピックが終わった時に思いましたし、次のステージに向かいたいっていう…。

ネガティブで引退とか、不思議ですよね、フィギュアスケートって、現役がアマチュアしかないみたいな印象があって。

すごく不思議だなと僕は思っているんですけど。実際、甲子園出場したの選手が野球をそこまで頑張っていました、甲子園優勝しました、プロになりましたっていうのは、それは引退なのかなって。そんなこと言われたらそんなことないじゃないですか。

僕はそれと同じだと思っていて。むしろここからがスタートで、これからどうやって自分を見せていくのか、どれだけ頑張っていけるのかが大事だと思っているので。そういう意味では、新たなスタートを切ったなと思っています。

先程の質問の、「いつプロに転向しようと考えたか」っていう話だと、毎試合、毎試合思っていました。平昌オリンピックが終わって、試合が終わるごとに色々考えて、本当に色んなことを考えて。「これ努力してる方向間違っているのかな」とか、「頑張れていないのかな」とか、考えながら競技をしてきました。

結果として最終的な決断に至ったのは北京オリンピック終わってからです。帰ってきて、しばらくして、自分の足首を治すための期間として、治すための期間というか、痛くて滑れなかったので、その期間に、色々考えたときに、もう別にここのステージにいつまでもいる必要はないかなって思って。

より上手くなりたい、より強くなりたいって思って決断しました。実際に最後に先日、ファンタジーオンアイスというものがあったんですけれども、その時に滑らせていただいた時が、自分がアマチュアスケーターとして滑らせいただくのは対外的に最後だったんですけれども、その時にもまた改めて、「より高いステージに立ちたいな」と。「より一層努力したことが皆さんに伝わるステージに行きたいな」と思いました。

Q: Can you tell us when you made your decision and when you decided to leave the competitive life and what were the biggest deciding factors that led you to this point?

Y: Yes, there were many times when I thought that I wanted to finish my career as a competitor or become a professional at that point. This happened many times.

As I said earlier, I thought about it when the Pyeongchang Olympics were over and I thought about moving on to the next stage...

I was under the impression that figure skating in its current form is only an amateur sport, with retirement being negative, it's strange, isn't it?

I think it is very strange. In fact, when a baseball player works hard, wins a championship and becomes a professional player, I wonder if that means he is retired. That's not true, is it?

I think it's the same for me. Rather, I think this is a starting point, and it's important how I show myself from now on and how hard I can work. In that sense, I think this is a new start.

As for the previous question, "When did you decide to turn professional?", I was thinking about it after each and every competition. After the Pyeongchang Olympics, I really thought about a lot of things. "Am I making an effort in the wrong direction?", or "Am I not working hard enough?", I have been thinking about such things while competing. 

As a result, I didn't make the final decision until after the Beijing Olympics. After I came back, after a while, I had a period of time to heal my ankle, or rather to recover from the pain and I couldn't skate, so during that period, when I thought about it a lot, I decided that I didn't need to stay on this stage forever anymore.

I made the decision because I want to get better and stronger. The last time I skated as an amateur skater was at the Fantasy on Ice shows. I thought., 'I want to be on a stage where everyone can see that I've worked even harder'.

――オリンピックでメダルをとられて、様々な記録を打ち立てられて、どこかで満足するところがあるのかなと、取材する側として思っていたんですが、常に常に先を見続けてより強く、より高くというイメージがすごく強いんですが、羽生選手に何がそこまでかきたてるものがあるのでしょうか。

それはアスリートだからなのかなと強く思います。現状に満足した事は基本的にないですですし、とにかくうまくなりたいなと思ってました。

それが例えばジャンプであったとしても、フィギアスケートで求められている音楽的な表現であったとしても、常にうまくなることが楽しみというか、それがあったからスケートをやっていられるなと今になって思ってます。

自分の中では「スケート=生きている」というイメージがあって、生きる中でうまくいったり、いかなかったりということがあったり。

そこに対して何か言われたりとか、喜んでもらえたりとか、色々あったりもしますが、逆に何か停滞したりということも色々あったり、そういったことがスケートの中で感じられるなと思っていて。

それこそが自分にとってのフィギアスケートなのかなと思っているので、だから記録が取れたからとか、最高得点出せたから、難しいジャンプ飛べたからとかではなくて、普通に生きている中で、もっと難しいことをやりたいとか、単純にちっちゃい頃だったらもっと褒められたいとか、そういった気持ちだけで頑張ってこられた気がします。

Q: As an interviewer, I was thinking that after winning medals and setting various records at the Olympics, there might be a point where you are satisfied, but I have a strong image of Hanyu always looking ahead, always aiming stronger and higher. What makes you so determined to do so?

Y: I strongly believe that this is why I am an athlete. I've basically never been satisfied with my current level, and I just always want to get better.

Whether it is, for example, jumps or the musical expression required in figure skating, I always look forward to getting better, and now I think that's why I am skating.

I have an image of skating = living, and in living, some things go well and others don't.

Sometimes I receive compliments, or people are happy about my skating, but on the other hand, there are also many times when I stagnate, and I can feel this in my skating.

I think that's what figure skating is for me, so it's not only about getting a record, or the highest score, or a difficult jump, but also about doing something more difficult in my daily life, or simply wanting to be praised more when I was a little kid. I feel like I've been able to work hard just because of those feelings.

――昨年あたり、「今の自分が一番うまい」とおっしゃっていたことが印象に残っています。実際そうだとも思います。勝手ながらもったいないなとも思うんですが、競技会の緊張感が恋しくなったりすることはありませんか。

競技会の緊張感が恋しくなることは絶対ないと言い切れます。それは先ほどお話しした中で、今後の活動について色々と考えている中で、競技会の緊張感を味わったりしてもらいたいなと思っているので。

競技会や大会を作ったりとか、そういうことは考えていないんですけど、皆さんが応援したくなるような羽生結弦って、挑戦し続ける姿だったり、独特の緊張感があったりとか、そういった中での演技だと思っているので。そういうのを感じてもらえるような、競技者じゃなくなったから気が緩むなと見られるようなスケートではなくて、より毎回緊張できるような、全力でやってるからこその緊張感をまた味わっていただけるようなスケートをしたいと思っているので、それはないかなと。

むしろもっと緊張させてしまうかもしれないですし、僕自身もっと緊張するかもしれないですし。一つ一つの演技を全体力と全神経をそそいで、ある意味では死力を尽くしたい。

Q: I remember that you said around last year that you are now at your best. I think that's actually true. I think selfishly it's a pity / a waste, and I wonder if you will ever miss the tension of competitions?

Y: I can tell you that I will never miss the tension of competition. As I mentioned earlier, I would like people to experience the excitement and tension of competitions in my future activities.

I'm not thinking of creating competitions or competitive events, or anything like that, but I think the kind of Yuzuru Hanyu that makes everyone want to cheer for him, the way he keeps challenging himself, the unique tension in his performance, and so on. I would like to skate in such a way that people can feel that, so that they can see that I don't relax now that I'm not a competitor anymore, but I would like to skate in such a way that everyone can be nervous and feel the tension again, because I'm giving my all.

In fact, I might make them more nervous, and I myself might be more nervous. I want to give each performance all my energy and all my nerves, and in a sense, I want to do my best to the utmost of my ability.

――羽生選手が戦ってこられた時代というのは、4回転が過熱して、それでもチャンピオンとして高いレベルで、4回転アクセルに象徴されるように、ひっぱってこられたと思いますが、チャンピオンでありながらリードしてきたことについてどう思っているのか、また今後、ほかの選手も4回転に挑戦したり、もしかしたら5回転ということも出てくるかもしれませんが、これからの期待と感想をお願いします。

僕がフィギュアスケートを始めてすごくあこがあこがれを持ったトップの選手の時代は、4回転ジャンプがプログラムの中に2本入っていたらすごいことでした。

今みたいに4回転ジャンプが何種類も跳べるわけではないですし、1種類で2本とか、トリプルアクセルがあったりとか、そういう時代でした。それから4回転がなくなったりとか、4回転を跳ばなくても勝てる時代が来たりとか、色々あって現在に至っています。

でも僕が好きだった、僕が好きなフィギュアスケートは、やっぱり僕自身があこがれた時代のスケートなんですね。

あの時代、4回転ジャンプ3本跳んだら優勝なのかと言われたらそんなこともなくて。トリプルアクセルいっぱい跳んだから勝てるのかと言われたら、そんなこともなくて。

もっともっと心から何かを感じられるような演技、この人の演技見たいなって思えるような演技をこれからもし続けたいなと思っています。

そういう演技を自分がやってこられたかどうかは自分では評価しきれないんですけど、これから僕自身がそういう演技をもっとしたいなと思ってますし、これからの競技フィギュアスケート会というのがまたルールが変わって、毎年ルールがちょっとずつ変更があるんですけど、またいろんなことがあるかもしれないですけど、僕が大好きだった時代の、僕が追い求めている理想の形のフィギュアスケートをさらに追い求めたいなと思います。

Q: During your competitive career, the quadruple jumps have increased dramatically, and yet, as a champion, you have been consistently pushing at the highest level, such as with your quadruple Axel, I think. And in the future, other athletes may try quads, or maybe even quintuplets, but what are your thoughts and expectations for the future?

Y: When I first started figure skating, I was very much in awe of the top athletes, and if there were two quadruple jumps in a program, it was an amazing achievement.

It wasn't like now where you can jump several different kinds of quadruple jumps, but two of the same kind, or a triple axel, and so on. Then, there were times when quadruples disappeared, or when you could win even without a quadruple jump.

But the figure skating I used to like, the figure skating I like, is the skating of the era I myself looked up to.

In those days, people didn't necessarily jump three quadruple jumps to win a championship. It wasn't like that, even if you jumped only a triple Axel, you could win.

I would like to continue to perform in such a way that people can feel something more from the bottom of their hearts, and that they want to watch my performance.

I can't really evaluate whether I've been able to do such performances or not, but I'd like to do more such performances from now on, and I'm sure that the rules of competitive figure skating will change again, as they do every year. I would like to pursue the ideal form of figure skating, which I have been pursuing since I started to love it.

――北京オリンピックの時、「報われない努力だったかもしれないけど」という発言があったと思います。競技者としての努力をどのように振り返りますか。また、それはプロスケーターとしてどのようにつながっていくと思いますか。

平昌オリンピックで連覇した時点で競技を終えて、プロとしてさらに上手くなっていきたいなと思ったという時期があったという話をしましたが、あのままの自分だったら、今のこの自分の努力の仕方だったりとか、自分がどうやったら上手くなるかとか、それを感じられないまま終わってしまったかもしれないなと。本当の意味で終わってしまったかもしれないなと思いました。

あの頃は、まだまだ4回転ジャンプをルッツ、フリップという、ある意味、今の新時代を象徴するようなジャンプが増えてきている段階でもありましたけども、ジャンプたちを追い求めて、またフィギュアスケートの、いわゆる一番うまくなれる時期っていうか、フィギュアスケーターってこれぐらいの年齢で競技終えるよねって、これからうまくならないよねとか、停滞したりとか、維持するのが大変だよねっていう年齢が、大体23歳とか24歳で切り替わってしまうというのが定番みたいなものでした。

だけど僕自身は、23歳で平昌オリンピックを終えて、それから今の今まで本当にジャンプの技術も含めてかなり成長できたと思っているんですね。

それはどういう努力をしたらいいかとか、どういう工夫をしていけばいいのかとか、そういうのが分かったからこそ今があるんだなと思ってます。そういう意味で今が1番うまいんじゃないかなと思ってます。

その経験があったからこそ、これからもたとえ自分が30になろうとも、40近くなることも、40までスケートやっているかちょっとわからないですけど(笑)、今まではこの年齢だからできなくなるなって思ったことが、なくなるんじゃないかなって、ちょっとワクワクします。

そういう意味ではやっぱり、北京オリンピックまでやり続けてきて、本当に努力し続けて、これ以上ないくらい努力したと言えるくらい頑張ってきて本当に良かったなと思いますし、これからも改めていろんな努力の仕方だったりとか、頑張り方だったりとか、色々試行錯誤しながら上手くなっていけたらいいなと思っています。

Q: During the Beijing Olympics, you said, "It was an effort that may not have been rewarded". How do you look back on your efforts as a competitor? And how do you think it will connect to you as a professional skater?

Y: I mentioned that there was a time when I thought about finishing my competitive career when I won back-to-back titles at the Pyeongchang Olympics and wanting to become even better as a professional, but if I hadn't continued, I might not have been able to feel how I can work hard now and how I can improve. I think it might have really ended.

At that time, I was still working on quadruple jumps, Lutz and Flip, which in a way, symbolised the new era of figure skating, but I was still pursuing jumps, and I was also thinking about the best age for figure skaters, or the age when figure skaters can be at their best. It was a standard belief that figure skaters would finish at this age, that they would not get better, or that they would stagnate, or that it would be difficult to maintain their skills, and that they would usually end competition at the age of 23 or 24. 

But I myself was 23 at the Pyeongchang Olympics, and since then I think I've really improved a lot, including my jumping technique.

I think I'm here now because I understand what kind of efforts I should make, what kind of methods I should use, and so on. In that sense, I think I'm at my best now.

Because of that experience, in the future, no matter if I turn 30 or almost 40, and I'm not sure if I'll still be skating until 40 (laughs), I think the things I used to think I wouldn't be able to do because of my age, will disappear. 

In that sense, I am really happy that I have continued to work hard until the Beijing Olympics, and that I have worked so hard that I can say that I have worked harder than ever before, and that I will continue to work in different ways of making efforts and doing my best, through trial and error. I hope to get even better.

――競技者としては絶対王者と呼ばれて、日々の言動からも、人間性を高く評価されたアスリートだと思います。我々から見ると、いつも完璧に映って見えるんですが、競技人生の区切りを迎えた今、正直に言って、羽生結弦として生きてきて大変だったこととか、今だから明かせる自身の存在について、重荷になったことというのはなかったのでしょうか。

僕という定義が分かんなくなっちゃって難しいんですけど、僕にとって羽生結弦という存在は常に重荷です。すごく重たいです。

こうやって会見でお話しさせていただく時も、登壇させていただく時とかも、決意表明して下さい言われた時とかも、ものすごく緊張して、今まで考えてきたことが全て吹っ飛んでしまうぐらい、手足も真っ青になってしまうぐらい緊張していました。

自分自身も完璧でいたいって強く願いますし、これからも完璧でいたいって、もっといい羽生結弦でいたいって思ってしまうので、これからもまた重いなって、色んなプレッシャーを感じながら過ごすことになってしまうと思うんですけど。

でもその中で、こういう姿を見て応援してくださる方々がたくさんいらっしゃいますし、また北京オリンピックのように、自分がちょっと心が崩れてきてしまった時とか、あの時努力が報われなかったとか、報われない努力があるんだとか、幸せって本当に心の中から言えないとか、色んな言葉を言ってしまいましたけど、そういった自分がいることも皆さんにわかっていただいたり、そういう自分を応援してくれる方々がいることもうれしいなとは思います。

いつもいつも羽生結弦って重たいなと思いながら過ごしていますけど。それでも羽生結弦という存在に恥じないように生きてきたつもりですし、これからも生きていく中で羽生結弦として生きていきたいなと思いますし、先程の決意表明の中で話したように、自分の心を蔑ろにする事はしたくないなと。これまで演技をしていくに当たって、本当に心が空っぽになってしまうようなこともたくさんありましたし。

訳もなく涙が流れてきたりとか、ご飯が通らなかったりとか。そういったことも多々ありました。

正直言われないことも言われたりとか、そんなたたかなくてもいいじゃんということもあったりとか、正直色んなことがありました。

人間としても色んな人が信頼できなくなったり、誰を信用していいのか分からなくなったりすることもありました。

でもそれは多分、羽生結弦だからではなくて、皆さんがそう思っているんだと思いますし、大なり小なり皆さんがつらいんだなと思ってます。

だからこそ僕自身がこれからも生きていく中で、生活していく中で、心を大切にしてもいいんじゃないかなって。

もっと自分の心が空っぽになってしまう前に、自分のことを大切にしてきてくださった方々と同じように、自分自身も大切にしていかなきゃいけないなというふうに今は思っています。

なので皆さんも、自分を応援することで色んなことを感じていただけたり、生活の一部だとか、生きがいだとか言ってくれることはとてもうれしいいですし、それにこれからもやっていくつもりです。ただそういった中でも、自分の心を大切にするようなきっかけの一つであったらいいなと思います。

Q: As a competitor, you are called an absolute champion, and from what you say and do on a daily basis, you are an athlete who is highly respected for his humanity. From our point of view, you always seem to be perfect, but now that you have reached the end of your athletic career, can you honestly say if there were any difficulties in your life as Yuzuru Hanyu, or if there were any burdens that weighed on your existence that you can reveal only now?

Y: It's difficult to define who I am, but being Yuzuru Hanyu has always been a heavy weight for me. It's very heavy.

I was so nervous to speak at this press conference, to take the stage, and to make a statement, that everything I was thinking was blowing away, and my hands and feet went blue.

I strongly wish to be perfect myself, and I want to continue to become a more perfect Yuzuru Hanyu, so I think I will have to spend my time feeling heavy and under a lot of pressure again.

But amidst all this, there are many people who see me like this and cheer me on, and I am also happy that, like at the Beijing Olympics, when I was feeling a bit crushed and said things like my efforts were not rewarded or that I cannot really say I am happy from the bottom of my heart, but people understood it, and I am happy that there were people who were willing to support such a person like me.

I always spend my time thinking that being Yuzuru Hanyu is always heavy, though. Even so, I've lived my life without being ashamed of being Yuzuru Hanyu, and I want to continue to live as Yuzuru Hanyu in my life, and as I said earlier in my statement of determination, I want to be careful about my heart. There have been many times in the past when my heart has been really empty in my performances.

Tears flowed for no reason, or I couldn't eat any food. There were many such things.

There were things said about me that honestly should not be said, and honestly, there were many other things.

As a human being, I have lost trust in many people and sometimes I don't know who I can trust.

But that's probably not because I'm Yuzuru Hanyu, I think everyone feels that way, and I think it's hard for everyone, in big and small ways.

That's why I think it's okay for me to take care of my heart as I continue to live my life.

I think now that I should take care of myself as well as the people who have always taken care of me, before my heart becomes more empty.

So I am grateful that everybody feels various things by supporting me, and that they say that it is part of their life or that it is motivation for them to continue their lives. I also hope that I can be a reason for people to cherish their own hearts and minds.

――プロのアスリートとおっしゃいましたが、アスリートという言葉を使ったということは、気持ちの中で引退でもないし、プロというのはアスリートなんだという強いメッセージだと受け取りました。だからこそアスリートとしての羽生選手に、クワッドアクセルはどれぐらい自分の手中にあり、続けると宣言したからには、手応えが北京よりも(今が)いいとかあると思います。クワッドアクセルについての決意をもう一度お願いします。

正直な話、フィギュアスケートってそんな苦しいところ見せたいけないと自分の中では思っていて。

演技している時、めちゃくちゃ頑張ってるんですけど本当は。「キス・アンド・クライ」という点数が発表されるところがあるんですが、そこで倒れる込むわけにいかないんですけど、僕ら本当に倒れこむぐらい、全力で毎回滑ってます。

そういった中でも、アイスショーってやっぱり、華やかな舞台であったりとか、エンターテイメントみたいなイメージがあると思うんですけど、もっともっと僕はアスリートらしくいたいなって。

もっともっと難しいことにチャレンジしたりとか、挑戦し続ける姿、戦い続ける姿をもっと皆さんに見ていただきたいなと。期待していただきたいなと思って、今回この言葉たちを選びました。

実際4回転半に関しては、北京オリンピックですごくいい体験ができたと思ってますし、実際あの時は痛み止めの注射を打ってしまっているからこそ、何も感じなかったからこそ、何も怖くなかったということがあって、本当に全力を出し切って4回転半に挑むことができたんですけど、今現在、右足首の回復を待ったりとか、あの時は本当に4回転のためにずっと努力していたと言っても過言ではないので、それに比べると最近、アイスショーがあったりとかで、4回転半に時間を取れなかったので、あのこれよりも下手くそになっちゃってるかもしれないんですけど。

今現在、4回半の練習を常にやっています。実際にあのころ得た知見があったからこそ、北京オリンピックとそしてその前にも色んな知見を得られたからこそ、現段階でももっとこうやればいいんだなとか、もっとこうできるんだなという手ごたえがありますし、ここ最近、アイスショーに出させていただいたりとか、そういった中でこういう視点があったんだなということも、毎日のように発見があって、そういう意味で、これからさらにうまくなっていけるんだなっていう自分への期待とワクワク感がある状態です。

実際にはあの頃よりも下手くそになってしまってるかもしれないんですけど、でもきっと北京オリンピックの時はもう伸びしろないのかなと思ったんですけど、今は伸びしろいっぱい感じてます。期待してください。ありがとうございます。

Q: You said you are now a professional athlete, and I understood your use of the word athlete as a strong message that you are not retired in your mind, and that you are a professional athlete. That's why I think that for Hanyu as an athlete, the quad Axel is still in your mind, and since you declared that you would continue working on it, I think that you have better results (now) than in Beijing. Please give us your determination about the quad Axel once again.

Y: To be honest, in my mind, the painful parts of figure skating shouldn't be shown.

When I'm performing, I'm really trying my hardest. There's a part where the scores are announced, called 'Kiss and Cry', and you can't break down there, but each time I perform, I really give it my all, to the point of breaking down.

I think ice shows have an image of being a glamorous stage or entertainment, but I want to be more like an athlete.

I want everyone to see me taking on more and more difficult challenges and continuing to try and fight. I chose these words because I want everyone to have high expectations of me.

In fact, as for the quadruple and a half, I think I had a great experience at the Beijing Olympics, and in fact, at that time, because I had painkiller injections, I didn't feel anything, so I didn't have any fear, and I could really give it my all and try to do the quadruple and a half, but... Now, I'm waiting for my right ankle to recover, and it's no exaggeration to say that I really worked hard for the quadruple and a half at that time, so compared to that, recently, with ice shows and such, I didn't have time to work on it, so I probably have become worse at it.

At the moment, I am currently practising the quadruple and a half constantly. I have a feeling that I can do more in this way and more in that way at the current level, because of the knowledge I gained at the Beijing Olympics and before that, and recently, when I have been invited to perform in ice shows, I have been discovering new things every day, and in that sense, I am excited and hopeful that I can get better from here onwards.

In fact, I may not be as good as I was back then, but at the Beijing Olympics I was feeling like I had no more room to improve, but now I feel like I have a lot of room to improve. Please have high expectations for me. Thank you very much.

――私は今日、ファンの人の代わりにここに入れてもらったと思っているので、ファンの人というのは羽生選手にとってどんな存在ですか。改めてファンの人に言葉をいただけますでしょうか。

改めて、一言で言うのは難しいんですけど、応援してくださる方がいるから、僕がここで話すことができて、スケートをやってくれて、これからもスケートをさらに突き詰めていこうって思えています。

正直、先ほども言ったように、自分が特別な存在とか、自分が特別な力があるとか、そんなことは全く思ってなくて。

人一倍、皆さんに応援していただけるからこそ力があったりとか、応援の力があるから、僕はうまくなってるだけなんだなってすごく思ってます。

これが例えば10人ぐらいにしか応援されてなかったりしたら、きっと10人の方々の気持ちを受け取るだけで目一杯になってしまって、こんなにスケートだけに没頭できる日々はなかったかなと思います。

ただその中で、皆さんがたくさん期待して下さって、その期待に応えると、またより多くの人が期待して下さって。そんな循環が僕が本当に大切だったし、そんな循環をこれからもさらに続けていきたいですし、皆さんの期待に応えれるような演技を続けていきたいなと思うので。

正直、僕の心の底からの今の気持ちは、どうかこれからも期待してやって下さいということと、これからも見てやって下さいという気持ちが自分の本音です。

なんかここで「ありがとうございました」じゃないというのは正直、自分が一番思っていて、全然終わらないので、引退でも何でもないので、ここからさらにうまくなるし、さらに見る価値があるなって思ってもらえるような演技をするために努力していくので。これからもどうか応援してやってください。よろしくお願いします。

Q: Today I feel that I am here to represent the fans, so what do the fans mean to Hanyu? Could you say a few words to your fans here now?

Y: Once again, it's hard to put it into one word, but it's because of the people who support me that I'm able to be here to give statements, to skate and to continue to push skating further.

To be honest, as I said earlier, I don't think that I am special or that I have any special power at all.

I think I'm only successful because of the power of the support I get from everyone, because I have more support than others.

I think that if I had only had the support of, say, 10 people, I would surely be so occupied with receiving their feelings that I wouldn't have been able to devote my days to skating as much as I do now.

However, within that, everyone has high expectations of me, and when I meet those expectations, even more people have high expectations of me. That kind of cycle was really important to me, and I would like to continue that cycle in the future, and I would like to continue performing in such a way that I can meet everyone's expectations.

To be honest, my true feelings at the moment from the bottom of my heart are that please continue to have expectations of me and please continue to watch me.

To be honest, I feel the most that this is not the moment to say 'arigatougozaimashita' [t/n: 'thank you' in past tense], because it's not the end at all, it's not retirement or anything, I'm going to get even better from here, and I'm going to work hard to give performances that people will think are even more worth watching. Please continue to support me. Thank you very much for your support.

――先ほど、これから「心を大切に」とおっしゃってましたけが、プロのアスリートとなるにあたって、今後人生の最優先事項として三つ挙げるとしたら、どういうものかありますでしょうか。

ありがとうございます(笑)。三つかあ、難しいなぁ。三つ、そうですね…成功させられる努力をまずすること。それが自分とって一番優先、一番上の優先事項ですかね。それは4回転半も含めてです。4回転半も成功させたいですし。

自分自身が目標としている演技たちだったりとか、ここであえて「演技たち」って言っちゃいましたけど、色々な演技をしていくにあたって、絶対にあの頃よりうまいんだぞって、過去の自分よりうまくなったなって、言ってもらえるような、理想としている演技ができるよう努力をしていきたい。それが今の自分にとっての第一の優先事項です。

あと二つ。そうですね。うわあ、難しいなあ。これはプロになったからとか、そういうのではないのかもしれませんけど、人間として美しくありたいと思ってます。

言葉で全部を表現するの難しいんですけど、たとえ明日の自分が、今の自分を見たとしても、ちゃんと「ああ、昨日の自分は頑張ったな」って、思ってもらえるような自分を常に大切にしていきたいなと思いますし、一生胸を張って生きていける生き方をしていきたいなと思います。

そして三つ目は、うーんと、難しいですね。そうですね、うーん、なんかあるかな。あっ、はい。勉強を怠らない、常に勉強し続けるということを三つ目にあげたいなと思います。

もちろんスポーツとしてのフィギアスケートの競技というところからは抜けて、違う新たなステージに、一歩高いところに上がっていくと自分の中で位置づけているんですけど、これからもずっとずっと勉強していきたいなと思ってます。

色んなこと、自分自身、最近ダンスをうまくなりたいなとか、氷上でうまく使えないかなと思ったりとか。力学のことだったりとか、運動学だったりとか、人間工学だったりとか。

またはパフォーマンスの、どういう風に見られるのか、どう評価するのかとか。そういうのも含めてこれからもどんどん勉強して、どんどん深い人間になっていきたいなって、深いフィギュアスケーターとしてなっていきたいなと思うので、常に勉強し続けられる、アップデートし続けられる人間になりたいなと思ってます。

Q: You mentioned earlier that you are going to "take care of your heart", but if you had to pick three things as your top priorities in life as a professional athlete, what would they be?

Y: Thank you (laughs). Three, oh, that's difficult. Three, well... the first thing is to make the effort to succeed. I think that is my first priority, my top priority. That includes the quadruple and a half, and I want to succeed in the quadruple and a half too.

I'd like to make an effort to give the kind of performances that I myself aim for, or, and I dare to use the word 'performances' here, the kind of performances that I want to give, so that people will say that I'm better than I was before, that I've become better than I was in the past, and that I can give the kind of performances that are ideal for me. I want to do my best. That is my first priority at the moment.

Two more. Right. Well, that's difficult. Maybe this is not because I've become a professional or anything, but I want to be beautiful as a human being.

It's difficult to express everything in words, but if tomorrow's me were to look at the me of today, I want to always value myself in a way that I can say, "Oh, I did my best back then", and I want to live my life in a way that I can be proud of for the rest of my life.

And the third one is, umm, difficult. Yes, umm, I don't know, I don't know what it is. Ah, yes. I would like to give you the third one, which is to never neglect my studies and to always keep studying.

Of course, I am leaving the competition of figure skating as a sport and moving up to a new stage, a step higher, but I would like to continue to study for a long time to come.

There are many things, recently I want to get better at dancing, and I think I can use it successfully on the ice. There are many things, like mechanics, kinematics, ergonomics, and so on.

Or how my performance is seen, how it is evaluated. I want to continue to learn more and more about all these things, to become a more and more sophisticated person, a more and more complex figure skater, so I want to be a person who can keep learning, who can keep evolving.

Text source: https://globe.asahi.com/article/14673858

Thank you so much for your hard work translating this!  It's very much appreciated.

As per usual with Yuzuru, I am simply in awe at the wisdom, the self-awareness, the humility and the constant need to improve that he keeps displaying no matter what. I have so, so much to learn from him.