General Yuzuru Chat

If anyone was surprised why I didn't post anything recently, it's mainly because a part of me prayed with all toes and fingers that he finally says bye to competition. However, with respect to him and to all fans I didn't want to speak it out loud. But now that he's dropped the bomb, I feel that I can finally share my thoughts openly without having a bad conscience.

As much as I wished Yuzu to get the 4A ratified in competition and finish his competitive career on a high note, it would have all come at an enormously high cost that I no longer wanted him to pay. What we never get to see are the endless hours and days and months that he has to prepare himself physically, technically and mentally for a competition. And whatever his image of ideal skating is - if he wants to prevail in competition, he is forced to follow what the sport dictates him, and it's inevitable to spend 80-90% of the practice sessions on drilling quads. With the latest rule changes even more than ever. This is not just an enormous health risk, but it also limits him to evolve in other aspects of figure skating. It's like a heavy chain that suppresses a virtuoso from flourishing.

Now that he is free from these massive limitations, he can focus on whatever he likes. He can discover and challenge completely new, uncharged territory, polish his existing repertoire of skills and find a new, fresh approach to skating. I am fully convinced that from now on, we will actually get to see him much more often on the ice than before and we will be over the moon from excitement and joy, when we find out what incredible things he will come up with next :wink2:

4 minutes ago, TokyoDream said:

Same - I only got to see him from Beijing... makes the retirement harder for sure!

I'm in the same situation. I think now about these 5 months since February - it was living a dream, a fantasy, an absolutely beautiful experience. It generated hopes, but also the regret of not discovering him earlier is massive right now. Massive. 

Congrats to Yuzu on an amazing career. His will often pushed him further than his body allowed. I feel lucky to have been a fan from his first senior year, following along on his roller coaster. 

I prefer watching him skate competitively, but nothing lasts forever. His ankles are just too precious for life after skating to continue to beat them up... and really, what hasn't he done? He did it all. Enjoy life now, yuzu. All of it. 

1 minute ago, Muffinator said:

@Henni147 @Sun_Rise @Perelandra Do you still want to continue with the letter campaign?

Yes, now even more than before.

Yuzu has officially retired from competitive skating, so we will no longer be labelled as "crazy fanyus" who are only interested in his success.

What we write now, will have more weight than before, and I think Yuzu would be very happy and proud to see that we fans genuinely care for the sport that means so much to him.

If we are able to change something, it may not help Yuzu anymore, but it may help to create a competition setting where another incredible genius could prosper in the future that we can wholeheartedly enjoy like Yuzu now. But if figure skating dies within the next decades, we rob the future of young talents to enjoy and live "real figure skating" as it was meant to be.