General Yuzuru Chat

Just went to JSF website

Sure enough Yuzuru Hanyu is still listed as strengthening player. 

Yuzu has always been considerate. I have mentioned this before, undoubtedly he would have informed JSF about any plans regarding not competing prior to the new competition season, because Yuzu would want funding for training to be allocated to an actively competing skater. He would not inconvenience the admin and financial staff, pretending that he would stay active in comp and then not doing so, if he already had had plans not to compete in the upcoming season

Sorry, I can't help but think of this... :smiley-scared003:

Spoiler

Whatever Yuzu is going to announce tomorrow in his presscon, at least we have the assurance that he'd announce it at a defined time, and after that...well we might end up receiving his announcement before the GP assignment LMAO (...which is quite likely by this point tbh :tif:)

Such a bleak silver lining to all this brouhaha tbh 

Just now, Figure_Frenzy said:

Sorry, but I can't help but think of this... :smiley-scared003:

Hide contents

Whatever Yuzu is going to announce tomorrow in his presscon, at least we have the assurance that he'd announce it at a defined time, and after that...well we might end up receiving his announcement before the GP assignment LMAO (...which is quite likely by this point tbh :tif:)

Such a bleak silver lining to all this brouhaha tbh 

Good point. It will potentially put a time limit on the Grand Prix venue and skater allocation announcements. There may be concrete foundation on which ticket purchasing decisions may be made with reasonable confidence

3 minutes ago, Anabel said:

This would not be so stressful if the ISU had done its job well and the assignments had already been announced.

Now I feel like I'm in heaven :facepalm:

I live in the desert, so summers are awful here, but I feel bad for anyone suffering through the heat (and Yuzu-related anxiety).

There should be a new classification listed in the DSM-V for this kind of anxiety disorder. 

I was chilling, probably the only one here not waiting anxiously for GP assignments (but still checking if the're out) and now this... and waiting entire day now for whatever it is... hello Yuzuru-induced stress my old friend :cry:

Well, isn’t the Olympics channel dramatic? LOL 

“Judgement day”

Let’s do it Yuzu, whatever it is I’m ready! 

Also, the law firm that represent him was trending? What on earth LLOLL 

Feels like I should be holding every fanyu’s hand right now, we’re going to be alright guys! 

Oh man. I just woke up in the middle of the night, checked my phone, and saw this? One thing’s for sure, I won’t be going back to sleep until after that press conference. It’s going to be a long night tonight, that conference is 4 AM my time.

Whatever it is… well. I support Yuzu. And nothing can last forever. But I don’t have good vibes about this given the timing.

(But I’m in denial. It can’t be over just like this, can it?)

28 minutes ago, Perelandra said:

Good point. It will potentially put a time limit on the Grand Prix venue and skater allocation announcements. There may be concrete foundation on which ticket purchasing decisions may be made with reasonable confidence

You're in luck! I just saw another tweet with a sentiment similar to yours :xD:

48 minutes ago, guor said:

Brian said Yuzu now concentrated FOI and than He  will make a decision about TCC 

44 minutes ago, Floria said:

Do you have the source? Thank you

I think it was in this Number article from May 

https://number.bunshun.jp/articles/-/853171?page=3

Yuzu parts translated by Tsukiyomi (thread) 

https://twitter.com/tsukiyominoasa/status/1524747605476921346?s=21&t=Zw8XCOIRYSr_5-qHVHDBnQ

My full deepL translation:

Spoiler

Orser was asked to talk about Rika Kihira, who is currently performing in ice shows in Japan, about her injury that forced her to give up the Beijing Olympic season.

"When she came to Canada last September, I saw her jumping at the Cricket Club and couldn't help but exchange glances with Tracy at the speed and quality of her jumps. We were reminded again why Rika has been so much in the spotlight all over the world."

But the pain meant she couldn't do toe picks on her right foot, so she couldn't jump any Flips for example.

"We then learned that the injury was worse than we had thought. Tests showed that there was more bone damage than just a fatigue fracture. I myself had fractured the same spot three times during my active career. Skating while in pain is no fun."

Initially, Coach Orser was planning to accompany her for the All-Japan Championships, but after discussions with everyone involved, the decision was made to take a break for the Beijing Olympic season.

Next season will start with the GP Series, what's the current training like?

"Rika is still young, and I'm glad we've been able to switch our minds to focus on the next four years. The next four years will be very important. She is now in Japan for shows, but I have told her to limit her jumping as much as possible. Fortunately, the bone will heal completely. Like Yuzu (Yuzuru Hanyu), ligament injuries are very difficult to deal with, but the bones will heal if they are rested properly, so I don't think she will have any problems competing next season."

When she returned to Toronto for two weeks in April this year, she mainly practiced skating with Tracy Wilson and choreographed an exhibition programme with David Wilson.

"For the free program, obviously, it's 'Titanic', which David choreographed last year, and then there's the small matter of what to do for the SP. First of all, she needs to heal her injury well and fast, get rid of the pain and start training again seriously. At the moment, we are also focusing on keeping up the stamina through cardio training and other exercises. The healing of the fracture is going well, so she will most likely be able to start with the GP series. If it is possible, it will be Skate Canada and maybe the other one in Japan (NHK Trophy)."

In the absence of Russian girls next season, will it be important for her to attempt the big jump?

"Once her injury is healed, Rika will jump the triple Axel again, and from what I've seen of her triple Salchow, I think she can jump the quadruple Salchow, too. She is physically strong and will be hoping to push herself technically. But at the same time, it is important to polish her expression and beauty, for example, which is typical of senior women. In four years' time she will be at the right age. I think this year's World Championships for the women was a very good competition."

The Montpellier World Championships, where Kaori Sakamoto, Loena Hendrickx and Alysa Liu were on the podium, was a classic senior women's competition, although there were no quads or other big tricks.

"It takes a tremendous amount of training to perform like that. You have to practice every detail very carefully to be able to do it. Like Jason (Brown). Even the top senior men can hardly skate a program with that much content. I think it's about what you choose to focus on."

At the ISU congress in June, there is a big possibility that the minimum age to move up to senior status will be raised from 15 to 17. What changes will this bring, particularly for girls?

"I support that change 100 %. I don't mean to say anything negative about the girls who have been doing difficult jumps. But in the past few years in the women's competition it has been about who wins the competition the most successfully. What jumps to put in where, how to score points, do quads. On the other hand, I think there was a part of the essence of women's figure skating - the expression of beauty - that was lost."

He wonders how the general public were still following the teenager champions, who were being replaced one after the other.

"Even though I'm part of the skating world, I couldn't remember the names of every single new women's champion these days, so much so that I used to refer to them by their initials. If the age limit is raised, it will be possible to see skaters like Dorothy Hamill, Peggy Fleming, Rosalyn Sumners and Katarina Witt in the past, or like Carolina Kostner and Yuna Kim, come back on the scene. In the men's competition, many of the top athletes have traditionally had long-lasting careers. Both Javier (Fernandez) and Yuzu have been active for 10 years and more after moving up to the senior level and have become athletes who people will remember. These athletes that people remember are also needed for the women's competition. People used to say that the women were the highlight of figure skating."

What did you think of the women at the Beijing Olympics?

"I returned to Canada shortly after the men's competition finished, so I didn't watch the women's until the end. But I was still there when the team competition awards ceremony was cancelled and rumours circulated that Valieva had tested positive."

Orser repeated again that it was a very difficult question, but he continued.

"Maybe the Russian girls could still jump quads without the banned substances. What we know now is that one of them tested positive. The rest is just speculation, so I won't comment. But I am a coach with the old-fashioned style of just working hard. The Russian girls mastered more and more big tricks, and I was once accused by parents of my students why my students couldn't do the same big tricks as the Russians. But now I don't have to make excuses anymore," he said with a bit of a wry smile.

He also commented on the men, saying:

"It was a very high level competition. Nathan [Chen] was the leading contender and he performed well deservedly. I said that although Junhwan Cha was aiming for a top six finish, it was not impossible for him to get on the podium. Junhwan was thrilled that I rated him so highly and it seemed to give him extra strength. He finished fifth overall, so what I was saying wasn't that far off."

Yuzuru Hanyu chose to compete without a coach and Orser did not stand with him at the rink. During the event, Orser also declared that he would not comment on Hanyu.

"Yuzu is an athlete who values his privacy, so I am usually very careful with my comments about him. I have coached him for eight years, plus the two years of the pandemic, so Yuzu came to me exactly ten years ago. I know very well what he is thinking and I have a lot of emotions for him. I respect him very much and respect his decisions. I understood that he decided to go there alone and I had no problem with it. But I had a responsibility to Junhwan and Jason and it would not have been fair to talk only about someone other than them. So I said that I would not comment on anything other than what related to the students I was accompanying to this competition."

How did he feel about Hanyu's actual performances and the result?

"If it wasn't for the unfortunate mistake of the Salchow in the SP, I think Yuzu could have shown more power in the free skate. If he had performed like he did at the All-Japan Championships, it would have been a completely different result. I know that he was very disappointed with the result."

They are currently not in contact with each other.

"It is normal for Yuzu to not be in contact with us at this time of the year anyway, as he concentrates on his ice shows. We are now waiting for him to make a decision on what he wants to do in the future."

Honestly, it doesn’t sound like Brian had any information regarding Yuzu at that point. He was not in contact with him and was just waiting for news, like all of us.