General Yuzuru Chat

20 minutes ago, Anni said:

Here is the full video from today :war:

https://weibo.com/tv/show/1034:4766583101522034?from=old_pc_videoshow

[NEWS]

I hope there will be a translation later.

Thank you so much! Also...

https://instagram.com/stories/daniel.grassl_official/2832872505841086818?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

Daniel posted this in his IG stories, I love him :rofl3:(I hope the link works)

6 hours ago, yuwin said:

oh i think they know, but they have to focus on the efforts did by the place. Didn't the commentators during Skate Canada (I think it was Rob and Tracy) kept mentioning how most people are there for one guy. The audience's cameras, media crew, professional photographers are basically following him all the time. It has that iconic Tracy comment, "but at least they got an audience" or something like that. 

TBF, a lot of fans are very supportive of other skaters too. Here's the link for anyone interested cause I really love Tracy commentating on Yuzu.

SP:

FS:

Yes, it was Rod Black and Tracy Wilson commentating for TSN and they were seated directly below us at Prospera Place, above and beside where Yuzu, Brian and Ghislain hung out. The Japanese TV crew with Nobu, Shuzo and Shizuka were located directly to our right.

And the two videos that you posted are my favourites of 2019 SCI.

I completely agree with you that all of the sports commentators and people in the know knew that it was all about Yuzu, but I’m also convinced that Tourism Kelowna had absolutely no clue that the success of the event was really due to just one man. I think they may have gotten the wrong impression that simply hosting an international skating competition would guarantee a similar commercial success.

We know that this is not the case because events without Yuzu simply do not attract the same numbers of spectators. It is even more evident where Yuzu is initially included as a competitor and then has to withdraw due to injury in which case hundreds or even thousands of people who had bought tickets and reserved accommodations bail out (escape from a situation that they do not want to be involved in any more).

5 hours ago, yuwin said:

Off season question, but is anyone else addicted to Yuzu's Beijing practices when he skated to his old programs? For some reason, I keep rewatching those videos every day. I think it may just be me trying to cope with everything that happened Beijing Olympics. But also, I think those skates + Haru Yo Koi gala performance is something that we haven't seen in him in a while. Those practice videos remind me of Romeo and Juliet 1.0 back in Worlds 2012 in that he was overflowing with passion. He was also smiling and looked serenely happy while skating.

I don't just watch them, I keep showing them to anyone who will indulge me. Not only is the skating sublime, he was skating against doctor's orders, as a treat for the volunteers and -- I believe -- a consolation to himself. To me it says everything about why he not only transcends figure skating, but all of sport. He exists in some rarefied realm with a handful of individuals who manifest the nearest approach to perfection a human can attain. Genius is one word for it, but even that doesn't fully capture it. 

Anyhow, that's what I see in those practice sessions. They also point the way to a future in which Yuzu will rise to even greater heights without the distraction of competitive pressure. Personally, I hope he continues to compete for a few more years (health permitting). But I don't dread the day he r*****s, because I'm confident that his post-competition career will be every bit as singular and spectacular as what we've seen til now. 

:nod2: 

6 hours ago, yuwin said:

Off season question, but is anyone else addicted to Yuzu's Beijing practices when he skated to his old programs? For some reason, I keep rewatching those videos every day. I think it may just be me trying to cope with everything that happened Beijing Olympics. But also, I think those skates + Haru Yo Koi gala performance is something that we haven't seen in him in a while. Those practice videos remind me of Romeo and Juliet 1.0 back in Worlds 2012 in that he was overflowing with passion. He was also smiling and looked serenely happy while skating.

Yes! I am also addicted to them. The passion, the serenity, and the joy tinged with regrets are a combination of emotions that produced such heartfelt performances on a different level, even though they were just practices. Seeing him redo all those performances that he regretted throughout his career on Olympic ice (like NDP when his 4S was basically just a choreographed fall or Chopin 1.0 which he was never able to skate clean) made me truly realize how long and great of a career he's had. I'm sure he was thinking back on his career over the years, too.

In addition, holy crap, he's improved so much it's insane. Full confession: I thought that in the 2020-2021 season, his skating had become positively effortless and light, especially his jumps, so much so that watching older programs, while they were still incredible, just made me notice how much better he is now and how much better the program would be if he skated them now. And then we got it! On one functioning ankle, too. His speed, glide, ice coverage, body lines, skating skills, etc. are now unmatched, even by his past self, and as a result, that practice session just turned into pure art. For instance, I never really liked NDP, but the way he skated it during practice made me see more clearly just what he was trying to do back then. That's what happens when you finally have the skills to express what you intend (back then he was still struggling with stamina and this program had an intense layout packed with transitions). (Fun fact: the transitions he uses for TenChi's final 3A are the same transitions he used for his 3A in NDP.) As a result, he has better musicality (he skates to the music with even better precision) due to the fine-tuned control he has over his body, and it is just glorious to watch.

Finally, ending the practice session with the iconic ChSq from Seimei feels just right. I'll never forget the pure ecstacy on his face during Pyeongchang as he skated to this, and doing it in Beijing almost feels like closure in a way that I don't really know how to explain. It's like, after reviewing his programs over the years--programs that have brought him triumphs and regrets, healing and pain--skating to Seimei, the program that has given him the happiest moment in his life, feels like a confirmation that at his core, despite all the hardships and pain, he just really, truly loves skating with his entire being. That's all there is to it.

2 hours ago, Anni said:

Here is the full video from today :war:

https://weibo.com/tv/show/1034:4766583101522034?from=old_pc_videoshow

[NEWS]

I hope there will be a translation later.

This is nothing like a complete translation, but I can tell you in general terms what the video is about.

Kurihara-san of Ajinomoto has been providing Yuzu with support and advice regarding his athletic dietary needs for 10 years. Yuzu’s basic problem was that he did not really enjoy eating. (I will accept this statement for the purposes of this discussion, but I find this a little contradictory when I think about the video about him shoveling back huge mouthfuls of TKG – tamago kake gohan – raw egg on rice – with a full tray of other goodies at the cafeteria-style restaurant.)

Anyway, back to the video. When Kurihara-san heard this – that Yuzu did not enjoy eating – he made it his mission to provide him with food that is not only good for him, but that he would enjoy eating.

The one turning point was when Yuzu told Kurihara-san that he enjoyed gyoza and that he could eat gyoza with every meal. From that point, it wasn’t just a case of trying to make a healthy, good tasting gyoza for Yuzu, it was a case of “it will be done” for Kurihara-san.

In order to develop this gyoza for Yuzu, Kurihara-san did a survey of 100 athletes to find out whether they enjoyed eating gyoza and discovered that over 90 did. The problem was that they enjoyed eating gyoza, but it did not fit into their athletic preparations.

So Kurihara-san started experimenting with gyoza to make it healthy and when he thought that he had the proper formula, he had some athletes taste them. When he asked them how it tasted, they politely said that it was “tasty”, but without much conviction.

Kurihara-san went to a professional chef and asked him to taste the gyoza and the chef said that it did not taste like gyoza at all. He suggested making changes that would make it tasty.

As a result, they finally came out with a gyoza that they tried on Yuzu and they show a picture that was taken after he tasted it and he had a big genuine smile. This was proof to Kurihara-san that they had found the perfect formula for healthy and tasty gyoza. They included gyoza in every meal for Yuzu.

They started producing two types of gyoza. Ultimately, Kurihara-san suggested including these gyoza in the diet for Japanese athletes competing in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics and later for Japanese athletes competing in the 2022 Beijing Olympics.

Therefore, as a result of Yuzuru Hanyu, Ajinomoto developed a gyoza that was not only healthy, but tasty, and this was an important part of the diet for many Japanese Olympians in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics and 2022 Beijing Olympics.

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].
10 hours ago, yuwin said:

oh je pense qu'ils savent, mais ils doivent se concentrer sur les efforts déployés par l'endroit. Les commentateurs de Patinage Canada (je pense que c'était Rob et Tracy) n'ont-ils pas continué à mentionner que la plupart des gens sont là pour un seul gars. Les caméras du public, l'équipe des médias, les photographes professionnels le suivent pratiquement tout le temps. Il y a ce commentaire emblématique de Tracy, "mais au moins ils ont un public" ou quelque chose comme ça. 

TBF, beaucoup de fans sont également très favorables aux autres skateurs. Voici le lien pour toute personne intéressée parce que j'aime vraiment Tracy commentant Yuzu.

SP :

FS :

These 2 Skate Canada videos are known, because they are complete with passionate and informative comments (and the addition of GEO1's writing) / seen from behind the scenes and for my part, I understood Tracy a little better who articulates well compared to the man who speaks too quickly and minces his words like the Americans and who knows Yuzu the best of the 2? it's Tracy who sees him at the TCC and I like Yuzu when he says: "OKKKKKKK I did it" being always 2nd......  

You can add me to the list of "hooks" for the 2022 Olympics training programs :girlsigh:

Very good choice for your 2 SUZYQ videos 

The violinist NAOTO pities me well :agree:

Here is a video around the Yuzu exhibition in Tokyo (8th floor) and interior view and another that talks a lot about Yumi Hanyu / her father and Saya (I understood that the principal  :sleep: ) and her role with her son and his essential involvement for him / how Yuzu came to skate / his early life in Toronto / the magnificent bottle covers matching Yuzu's costume and made by Yumi (of course you will analyze better than me) 

3 hours ago, Geo1 said:

This is nothing like a complete translation, but I can tell you in general terms what the video is about.

Kurihara-san of Ajinomoto has been providing Yuzu with support and advice regarding his athletic dietary needs for 10 years. Yuzu’s basic problem was that he did not really enjoy eating. (I will accept this statement for the purposes of this discussion, but I find this a little contradictory when I think about the video about him shoveling back huge mouthfuls of TKG – tamago kake gohan – raw egg on rice – with a full tray of other goodies at the cafeteria-style restaurant.)

Anyway, back to the video. When Kurihara-san heard this – that Yuzu did not enjoy eating – he made it his mission to provide him with food that is not only good for him, but that he would enjoy eating.

The one turning point was when Yuzu told Kurihara-san that he enjoyed gyoza and that he could eat gyoza with every meal. From that point, it wasn’t just a case of trying to make a healthy, good tasting gyoza for Yuzu, it was a case of “it will be done” for Kurihara-san.

In order to develop this gyoza for Yuzu, Kurihara-san did a survey of 100 athletes to find out whether they enjoyed eating gyoza and discovered that over 90 did. The problem was that they enjoyed eating gyoza, but it did not fit into their athletic preparations.

So Kurihara-san started experimenting with gyoza to make it healthy and when he thought that he had the proper formula, he had some athletes taste them. When he asked them how it tasted, they politely said that it was “tasty”, but without much conviction.

Kurihara-san went to a professional chef and asked him to taste the gyoza and the chef said that it did not taste like gyoza at all. He suggested making changes that would make it tasty.

As a result, they finally came out with a gyoza that they tried on Yuzu and they show a picture that was taken after he tasted it and he had a big genuine smile. This was proof to Kurihara-san that they had found the perfect formula for healthy and tasty gyoza. They included gyoza in every meal for Yuzu.

They started producing two types of gyoza. Ultimately, Kurihara-san suggested including these gyoza in the diet for Japanese athletes competing in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics and later for Japanese athletes competing in the 2022 Beijing Olympics.

Therefore, as a result of Yuzuru Hanyu, Ajinomoto developed a gyoza that was not only healthy, but tasty, and this was an important part of the diet for many Japanese Olympians in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics and 2022 Beijing Olympics.

Thank you for the summary! :heart:

I wish Ajinomoto was also available here. Their food looks absolutely delicious and it's probably healthy and nutritionally balanced too. I love Gyoza and other forms of dumplings, so I totally understand Yuzu's love for Gyoza. But unfortunately, I haven't been able to find good ones here. :64341262:

22 hours ago, Geo1 said:

Tourism Kelowna never realized that it had nothing to do with its efforts or Skate Canada. It had all to do with Yuzuru Hanyu just being there.

No, I think they realized, because people who were there (like myself) told them. Heck even tge customs agents at YVR knew it was for Yuzu after a few thousand fans all gave the same reason for visiting Canada that weekend. Late-arriving satellites even mentioned it ...getting customs agents asking them, 'Let me guess, you're here for that Japanese skating guy.' :roll:

20 hours ago, ZuCritter said:

To me it says everything about why he not only transcends figure skating, but all of sport. He exists in some rarefied realm with a handful of individuals who manifest the nearest approach to perfection a human can attain. Genius is one word for it, but even that doesn't fully capture it.

20 hours ago, citrusjunos said:

The passion, the serenity, and the joy tinged with regrets are a combination of emotions that produced such heartfelt performances on a different level, even though they were just practices.

You’ve already said it all, in many beautiful ways. These practices are legendary, I cannot express how I love them. Therapeutic and healing, hypnotizing and providing some kind of closure - I agree. I was a super fresh fan when these comparison videos started to appear - his newest practice version of Seimei even more ecstatic, focussed, sharp, energetic, dramatic. He's wild, he's everywhere, he commands the rink. I love this little moment just before he starts the sequence, nods quickly, tenses up a bit, spreads his arms, his body prepares, then he’s letting himself go into this epic one minute of perfection that follows. 

All on a sprained ankle. So yes, I have been rewatching them very often since I saw them for the 1st time in my early fandom days. 

20 hours ago, citrusjunos said:

I'll never forget the pure ecstacy on his face during Pyeongchang as he skated to this, and doing it in Beijing almost feels like closure in a way that I don't really know how to explain.

The first time I saw Seimei PC performance, I couldn't sleep. This unique and unforgettable energy of this program, the magic of this particular moment in time&place, his contact with the audience and the glorious context of him winning the Olympics the second time makes this irresistible to watch again and again. He's exploding with joy, during the final sequence every move expresses his happiness. 

At some point I finally found out the meaning of his happy screams.

He was so ecstatic! Pure happiness and pride. I absolutely love it, I watch it every time I need a hyper condensed dose of joy. 

And in Beijing he was smiling

16 hours ago, citrusjunos said:

His speed, glide, ice coverage, body lines, skating skills, etc. are now unmatched, even by his past self, and as a result, that practice session just turned into pure art.

this scares and amazes me tbh. cause i can watch his old programs like GPF 2015 Seimei and think, "Wow there is no way it can get any better than this. I don't know how much more you can improve on that." But watching his recent skates and seeing the difference in quality is actually quite impressive. 

16 hours ago, Geo1 said:

Ajinomoto developed a gyoza that was not only healthy, but tasty, and this was an important part of the diet for many Japanese Olympians in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics and 2022 Beijing Olympics.

Now I wanna try this but don't really know any store where I can buy one. Should I try online?

21 minutes ago, Sun_Rise said:

You’ve already said it all, in many beautiful ways. These practices are legendary, I cannot express how I love them. Therapeutic and healing, hypnotizing and providing some kind of closure - I agree. I was a super fresh fan when these comparison videos started to appear - his newest practice version of Seimei even more ecstatic, focussed, sharp, energetic, dramatic. He's wild, he's everywhere, he commands the rink. I love this little moment just before he starts the sequence, nods quickly, tenses up a bit, spreads his arms, his body prepares, then he’s letting himself go into this epic one minute of perfection that follows. 

All on a sprained ankle. So yes, I have been rewatching them very often since I saw them for the 1st time in my early fandom days. 

The first time I saw Seimei PC performance, I couldn't sleep. This unique and unforgettable energy of this program, the magic of this particular moment in time&place, his contact with the audience and the glorious context of him winning the Olympic the second time makes this irresistible to watch again and again. He's exploding with joy, during the final sequence every move expresses his happiness. 

At some point I finally found out the meaning of his happy screams.

He was so ecstatic! Pure happiness and pride. I absolutely love it, I watch it every time I need a hyper condensed dose of joy. 

And in Beijing he was smiling

Fully agree with every word.