General Yuzuru Chat

Hello, i'm a new fan here. After lurking in this place for a while and getting know more about Yuzuru. For some reason i feel sad with all unfortunate things happened to Yuzu, like underscored thing. I wonder if this thing happen to the previous generation as well? or it just happened in Yuzu's era? 

tbh, i'm not someone who is interested in this sport but Yuzuru Hanyu is really intrigue me. somehow, i feel that they (JSF, ISU.. idk about the organization) kind of disrespect Yuzu by implying that he's replaceable with new skaters. I'm not saying the other skaters are not great, of course they are but Yuzu isn't someone that easily to be forgotten just because there are new skaters that have more techniques. it feels like they push the idea that there is another Yuzuru Hanyu to keep this sport alive 🥺 

Especially when i saw an article saying that someone can surpass Yuzu, it feels like saying someone can surpass Mozart or something like that. I think i'm too overreacting about this one haha

55 minutes ago, caramelicht said:

Hello, i'm a new fan here. After lurking in this place for a while and getting know more about Yuzuru. For some reason i feel sad with all unfortunate things happened to Yuzu, like underscored thing. I wonder if this thing happen to the previous generation as well? or it just happened in Yuzu's era? 

Hello, welcome all new posters! Good to have new people (like myself haha). 

I’m not sure how the adms set the rules, but you can bring this subject to the salt mines / ranting thread, where people can dive into more details abt what we perceive to be injustice in fs. Posting this on here can derail the conversation quite fast, and just to avoid negativity and keep it to a minimum I think. 

For the sake of your question I will answer here that no, Yuzu is not the only one and hasn’t been historically*. Figure Skating is a judged sport and as such is bound to have issues like these, like gymnastics. The way the score system is put in place and how they are awarded / manipulated is the issue. 
For current skaters I usually point to Mikhail Kolyada (Misha K), Deniss Vasiljevs and Wakaba Higuchi as ones that do not receive  the PCs (one of the performance components in scoring) they deserve. 

As to why, where and how, better to move it to another thread :hihi: 

Will just leave one linked video that is not comprehensive but give a general idea: 

Spoiler

And yes, he is the Mozart of the sport right? Lol A once in a lifetime athlete for sure. 

*trying my best to keep my inflammatory opinions out of here. 

4 hours ago, Xiupia said:

Hello, welcome all new posters! Good to have new people (like myself haha). 

I’m not sure how the adms set the rules, but you can bring this subject to the salt mines / ranting thread, where people can dive into more details abt what we perceive to be injustice in fs. Posting this on here can derail the conversation quite fast, and just to avoid negativity and keep it to a minimum I think. 

For the sake of your question I will answer here that no, Yuzu is not the only one and hasn’t been historically*. Figure Skating is a judged sport and as such is bound to have issues like these, like gymnastics. The way the score system is put in place and how they are awarded / manipulated is the issue. 
For current skaters I usually point to Mikhail Kolyada (Misha K), Deniss Vasiljevs and Wakaba Higuchi as ones that do not receive  the PCs (one of the performance components in scoring) they deserve. 

As to why, where and how, better to move it to another thread :hihi: 

Will just leave one linked video that is not comprehensive but give a general idea: 

Reveal hidden contents

And yes, he is the Mozart of the sport right? Lol A once in a lifetime athlete for sure. 

*trying my best to keep my inflammatory opinions out of here. 

thank you for answering my question ans i'm really sorry, i don't mean to bring harm here. I'll be careful next time 🙇🏻‍♀️ i don't know there are another thread for this one.   

1 hour ago, caramelicht said:

thank you for answering my question ans i'm really sorry, i don't mean to bring harm here. I'll be careful next time 🙇🏻‍♀️ i don't know there are another thread for this one.   

Welcome to the Planet! Don’t worry too much about what or where you post. If you have any questions, the General Yuzuru Chat is a good place to start. If there is a better place for the subject of your post, someone will direct you there. Just have fun!

9 hours ago, caramelicht said:

tbh, i'm not someone who is interested in this sport but Yuzuru Hanyu is really intrigue me. somehow, i feel that they (JSF, ISU.. idk about the organization) kind of disrespect Yuzu by implying that he's replaceable with new skaters. I'm not saying the other skaters are not great, of course they are but Yuzu isn't someone that easily to be forgotten just because there are new skaters that have more techniques. it feels like they push the idea that there is another Yuzuru Hanyu to keep this sport alive 🥺 

Especially when i saw an article saying that someone can surpass Yuzu, it feels like saying someone can surpass Mozart or something like that. I think i'm too overreacting about this one haha

Hello and welcome! 😊 In my opinion your message shows quite clearly the value of Yuzuru Hanyu which FS organisations can no longer ignore: People who haven’t been especially interested in figure skating are becoming intrigued by this one person (I like your comparison with Mozart!) plus start asking questions about fair scoring. I wonder if this has been Yuzu’s plan for quite some time while he was writing his thesis about AI based scoring. I personally hope this is now his top motivation if he decides to keep competing. If so, he is certainly aware that he might not get the medals he deserves but the world is watching and more questions will be raised. A very brave attitude which he has been pursuing for so long already, which has earned him my deepest respect. 

11 hours ago, caramelicht said:

I wonder if this thing happen to the previous generation as well? or it just happened in Yuzu's era? 

Hi! Welcome here!

There are skaters like Wakaba who are terribly terribly underscored, arguably even worse than Yuzu's. It might even be worse for those from small feds. I may even make the case that Yuzuru is not actually terribly underscored (with a few exceptions like Worlds 2017 Hope and Legacy. I think he deserved a lot of perfect +3 GOEs and higher PCs in that fs), it's just that other skaters are way overscored, especially right now. If Yuzu is getting 9.5 in transitions for example, other skaters with way less transitions should get way lower PCs (but it doesn't really happen, surprise!)

Anyways, it's not just during Yuzu's era. Questionable scoring has always been a problem for ISU. It is a common consensus that Kim Yuna was robbed at her last Olympics. I heard about Chanflation too.

(JSF, ISU.. idk about the organization) kind of disrespect Yuzu by implying that he's replaceable with new skaters. 

I kinda understand they have to prepare for when Yuzu retires. I'm sure Yuzu also wants figure skating to continue even after he retires. But JSF are infamous for being questionable to Yuzu to say the least. Treating him that way leaves a bad taste to a lot of people who gained interest in figure skating because of Yuzu. There is an increasing trend of people who are only Yuzuru Hanyu fans, and not figure skating in general, and it's easy to see why.

At the end of the day, Hanyu is Hanyu. No one can replace him. Ask any figure skating fan if someone can replace Kim Yuna or V/M and you'll get funny looks. This is not because no one will ever surpass them (although i don't think anyone really has yet), but because they've already built a legacy and are already legendary. No one can replace them. The same applies to Yuzu. JSF, ISU, can do whatever they want but it's clearly not working. 

IMO, there are a lot of skaters in Japan right now who have lots of potential. Yuma, Shun, Kao, Kazuki, etc. I just hope that whoever is actually the best among them actually get the support instead of JSF picking favorites and literally ignoring other great skaters.

there are new skaters that have more techniques.

Actually, Yuzuru is still one of the skaters who have the most technical skills and best techniques. He is a skater who is the best or atleast within the top 3 of rankings whether it comes to jumps, spins, step sequences, transitions, etc. Most skater only excel in one or two and may lack in other aspects (Jason Brown for example excels in PCs but he lacks the quad jumps although he is training and improving as well), which is why a lot of people say Yuzu is the most complete skater. There is very little to criticize about his skating. Even more, there is almost very little to improve in his skating (although he somehow manages to improve even more each time)

In terms of jump, which seems to be the focus of figure skating nowadays, the only jump he hasn't done in comp is 4f, so he is still way ahead of other competitors (I think only Nathan has landed all the quad jumps, except the 4a). I'm not even gonna talk about his execution of those jumps, which are not only textbook perfect, but he also adds so many extra details and difficulty because Yuzu gotta be Yuzu and has to make it hard for himself.

Especially when i saw an article saying that someone can surpass Yuzu

Realistically and because figure skating is a sport, someone will surpass Yuzuru one day in terms of technical skills. However, I don't think anyone can replace or surpass Yuzuru himself. As I mentioned above, Yuzuru is Yuzuru. There will be no one else like Yuzuru. The others have to create a name for themselves and make a path of their own. Using your comparison, Mozart is Mozart. But, there will be other iconic composers - Beethoven, for example.

54 minutes ago, yuwin said:

Hi! Welcome here!

There are skaters like Wakaba who are terribly terribly underscored, arguably even worse than Yuzu's. It might even be worse for those from small feds. I may even make the case that Yuzuru is not actually terribly underscored (with a few exceptions like Worlds 2017 Hope and Legacy. I think he deserved a lot of perfect +3 GOEs and higher PCs in that fs), it's just that other skaters are way overscored, especially right now. If Yuzu is getting 9.5 in transitions for example, other skaters with way less transitions should get way lower PCs (but it doesn't really happen, surprise!)

Anyways, it's not just during Yuzu's era. Questionable scoring has always been a problem for ISU. It is a common consensus that Kim Yuna was robbed at her last Olympics. I heard about Chanflation too.

I kinda understand they have to prepare for when Yuzu retires. I'm sure Yuzu also wants figure skating to continue even after he retires. But JSF are infamous for being questionable to Yuzu to say the least. Treating him that way leaves a bad taste to a lot of people who gained interest in figure skating because of Yuzu. There is an increasing trend of people who are only Yuzuru Hanyu fans, and not figure skating in general, and it's easy to see why.

At the end of the day, Hanyu is Hanyu. No one can replace him. Ask any figure skating fan if someone can replace Kim Yuna or V/M and you'll get funny looks. This is not because no one will ever surpass them (although i don't think anyone really has yet), but because they've already built a legacy and are already legendary. No one can replace them. The same applies to Yuzu. JSF, ISU, can do whatever they want but it's clearly not working. 

IMO, there are a lot of skaters in Japan right now who have lots of potential. Yuma, Shun, Kao, Kazuki, etc. I just hope that whoever is actually the best among them actually get the support instead of JSF picking favorites and literally ignoring other great skaters.

Actually, Yuzuru is still one of the skaters who have the most technical skills and best techniques. He is a skater who is the best or atleast within the top 3 of rankings whether it comes to jumps, spins, step sequences, transitions, etc. Most skater only excel in one or two and may lack in other aspects (Jason Brown for example excels in PCs but he lacks the quad jumps although he is training and improving as well), which is why a lot of people say Yuzu is the most complete skater. There is very little to criticize about his skating. Even more, there is almost very little to improve in his skating (although he somehow manages to improve even more each time)

In terms of jump, which seems to be the focus of figure skating nowadays, the only jump he hasn't done in comp is 4f, so he is still way ahead of other competitors (I think only Nathan has landed all the quad jumps, except the 4a). I'm not even gonna talk about his execution of those jumps, which are not only textbook perfect, but he also adds so many extra details and difficulty because Yuzu gotta be Yuzu and has to make it hard for himself.

Realistically and because figure skating is a sport, someone will surpass Yuzuru one day in terms of technical skills. However, I don't think anyone can replace or surpass Yuzuru himself. As I mentioned above, Yuzuru is Yuzuru. There will be no one else like Yuzuru. The others have to create a name for themselves and make a path of their own. Using your comparison, Mozart is Mozart. But, there will be other iconic composers - Beethoven, for example.

:nod2::clapclap4:

1 hour ago, caramelicht said:

thank you to everyone who welcomed me and answered my question :YuzuPoohLove:, I'm glad I found this place. He's more and more amazing than I thought, I really respect him more now

YES this planet is incredible  :headdesk:and all the fanyus form I would say "a kind of family" and everyone writes their opinions and without judgment and as I am "special" compared to you ALL, I had been well received :peace2: :dancingpooh:  :wink_star:too