General Yuzuru Chat

2 hours ago, Mary_kyo said:

Well, yes, this doesn’t mean he isn’t r-wording but then I think, if he wasn’t serious/willing about continuing, he would most probably announce it early to let other skaters receive the funding. To me it's still a very happy news. 

Exactly, he would communicate perhaps to let others plan for the next season. I know things may change and he's got every right to reconsider, but we are one small step closer to seeing him competing again. Very happy news to me as well. 

6 hours ago, Xiupia said:

JSF released a list with the intended national team for next season: 

(It is a tier list related to funding)

Since Yuzu is the current national champion he is naturally there.

Warning that this does not mean he will 100% compete or anything, it means JSF has the intention of working with and promoting these athletes specifically next season. It also means that at the time of the publication he has not communicated with JSF abt not competing. That’s all for now. 

Edit:

I read something on twitter, but I didn't quite understand (or believe) so I came here directly. Thanks for sharing!

@Mary_kyo's argument for optimism seems very convincing to me, so I am also happy with this news :tumblr_inline_mg16go8gBg1qdlkyg:

Spoiler

A moment ago I was looking at the rain through the window thinking what would become of my life (yes, I'm a drama queen) and now I can barely contain a silly smile... Yes, I'm also very simple :tumblr_inline_mzx8s4JRlX1r8msi5:

More news clips about the exhibition :happy:

Today's sports newspaper 

[NEWS]

7 hours ago, Mary_kyo said:

Well, yes, this doesn’t mean he isn’t r-wording but then I think, if he wasn’t serious/willing about continuing, he would most probably announce it early to let other skaters receive the funding. To me it's still a very happy news. 

Yes, I think so too. :yes: It's nice to see Yuzu's name on the list.  However he decides in the end, I just wish him that he is happy with it.

I feel so hopeful now, I think Yuzuru would definitely have had some communication with JSF if he was leaning towards professional rather than competitive skating as his immediate future plans...hard not to get hopes flying into the stratosphere!!

I was killing time on twitter and saw this...

Now my question is, do the skaters have to tell the federations each season if they continue? I assumed that this was something automatic and that the only case in which they had to communicate something was if they retired or took a break... Does anyone know?

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].
30 minutes ago, Anabel said:

Now my question is, do the skaters have to tell the federations each season if they continue? I assumed that this was something automatic and that the only case in which they had to communicate something was if they retired or took a break... Does anyone know?

I assume the same as you. It has just occurred to me though that Yuzuru does have a history of liking to keep us all in the dark about his intentions! So he'll be doing the same with JSF maybe?!  A man of mystery!

31 minutes ago, Anabel said:

Daisuke and Kana said that they would decide about their future in April, so I assume they had this in mind (btw, I guess this means that they are not going to retire just yet!) But other than that I don't know how it works

5 hours ago, Pammi said:

I assume the same as you. It has just occurred to me though that Yuzuru does have a history of liking to keep us all in the dark about his intentions! So he'll be doing the same with JSF maybe?!  A man of mystery!

I understand what you're saying, but it's not the same to keep a secret about his next programs, or costumes or things like that, than about something like retirement, right? I don't think he would "play" with something like this. To be honest, I'm still taking too much for granted that he's not going to retire, but if I think about there's a chance that Yuzu is still weighing what to do, I feel a little bit guilty. I know how much he values the love of his fans, but I wouldn't want him to decide to continue just because we don't want him to leave (unless it makes it up to him) I see a lot of "we'll respect what Yuzu decides" messages after express the wish that he doesn't retire. I have done it myself. I don't feel good about it, as far as I'm concerned. The rest of you are free to do whatever you want, of course :happy0158:

On the other hand, I don't know Yuzu, so I don't know what he's thinking about, I don't know what information he takes in account and what information he "ignores" So I also understand that I'm overthinking :doh:

Don't pay much attention to me, I'm being a victim of my "more unstable than usual" state of mind :panic:

4 hours ago, YuDai said:

Daisuke and Kana said that they would decide about their future in April, so I assume they had this in mind (btw, I guess this means that they are not going to retire just yet!) But other than that I don't know how it works

Then we'll have to keep waiting... I hate waiting... :heavybreathing:

With all this speculation about Yuzu retiring my thoughts have led me to think that maybe they want Yuzu to retire, to make room for those younger.  The thing is, as I look over the situation season by season the accusations of underscoring him really don't become numerous until after the 2017/18 season in which he took his second gold.  I know it is fairly usual for an Olympic FS men's gold-medalist to retire after that season but for Yuzu that would be absurd as he was only nineteen when he won in Sochi.  Retiring at age nineteen would be absurd.  On top of that he had stated publicly he wanted a second straight gold and actually that was quite good to the authorities since it added suspense through the countdown to PC.  But then he didn't retire after attaining his second gold medal but instead he declared he was determined to be the first to do a quad-axel, the Holy Grail of skating jumps.  As far as the ISU and JSF were concerned Yuzu was overstaying his welcome.   The figure-skating industry (I use that word deliberately) is driven by the need to have ever fresh young faces working on clawing their way to the top.  Yuzu, however, was at the top and showed every sign of remaining at or near the top.  He was fouling up the normal modes of procedure.  Moreover, I think the skating authorities are afraid of Yuzu.  He's TOO popular, too much the object of an almost cultlike following (nothing wrong there, though, considering it's Yuzu).  In Japan he's one of the most popular individuals in any field of endeavor.  They can't simply demand he retire so they start making it ever harder for him to succeed in winning.  Thus all the underscorings.  They want him to finally tell the ISU and everyone out there that he's had enough and quit in disgust.  They really don't understanding Yuzu very well.  He'll keep on going until he has his 4A.  What the ISU and the other authorities have to do is to help him get that 4A so he can retire with grace.  He almost had it this season but landed on two-feet.  A one-foot landing would have Yuzu now duly retired and have everybody here and elsewhere wondering 'What next?'

Maybe Yuzuru is like us! I vascillate between wanting him not to r  and wanting him to r !! I am sure we all know the reasons for both, he maybe has mixed feelings too. Must be a hard decision for any athlete especially one of such high standing and popularity. I do think in the end he will put his own needs first though, he has admitted previously to being selfish (I think he feels guilty for this tbh) but of course it's sort of necessary for top athletes to be selfish. He will consider everybody else I am sure, but in the end it's my view that he will put his own needs and desires at the forefront of any decision - even if he decides on the basis that he is doing something for others, it will be because that he wants it that way. (I don't know him, just my opinion ofc! fans in all sport love to spout their own opinions lol!!)

As someone who became a fan weeks after Beijing Olympics, I would be sad if he does retire now, because I wouldn't be able to experience cheering for him in real time for competitions without knowing the results beforehand, not knowing about the costumes and programs - the chaos and excitement you all talk about. 

So when I saw the list, and thought that was confirmation that his ankles are healing well and he will compete next season, I was so happy. But people clarified that he has not actually confirmed yet. 

But in the end, I will respect his decision. It would be selfish and entitled to demand or complain about him retiring.

Number has an interview with Team KoKo. On page 3 they talked about negative comments on SNS and mentioned what Yuzu said. 

Pretty sure there will be a better translation coming soon but here's a DeepL translation of the part on Yuzu mentioned by Tim. 

Last year, when I talked to Yuzuru (Hanyu) about SNS, he told me, "The most important thing is the 'big light' inside of you. I think that's a very good word, and I cherish it.

Takeru: I can't help looking at SNS and letters, but the most important thing is "to keep my axis as a figure skater. It seems that Yuzuru, a two-time Olympic champion, also receives heartless words, but he said that it can't be helped anymore that there are various opinions, so just believe in your own choice and do your best. He told me that if I had any problems, I should share them with others.

His words helped me a lot, and as an adult, I would like to do the same for young athletes.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].
Guest Mary_kyo

Watched it at least 3 times already. The amount of skating skills in this 40 seconds is more than all the said medalists skills combined together.