General Yuzuru Chat

43 分, Yuzurellaさんが言いました:

If I would live in Japan and have easy access to all this Yuzu merch, I would spend all my available money on it... :13877886:

That's true 😂

I'm living in Japan and  so busy to earn  money.

Even though I have my job, I'm accepting part  time job when I'm asked.

3 hours ago, Anabel said:

A funny tribute :tumblr_inline_mg16go8gBg1qdlkyg:

This just made me laugh again.

:space:

3 hours ago, Sun_Rise said:

I've also read somewhere this comes from 2020 (Halloween?) but cannot confirm. 

Yes @Sun_Rise, you are right. :yes: Here is the instagram post:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHAwXS9LSqZ/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

The video was even shown on the Japanese news at the time. :)
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHGuVolpGV9/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Words to Yuzu from a medical staff :tumblr_lkl6q24eyw1qfamg6:

[NEWS]

Yuzu is really a source of power for so many people.

:nod2:

Welcome @littleorange to the Planet. :wave:

1 hour ago, Anni said:

Yes @Sun_Rise, you are right. :yes: Here is the instagram post:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHAwXS9LSqZ/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

The video was even shown on the Japanese news at the time. :)
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHGuVolpGV9/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Thank you! They even made the side-by-side comparison and the guy's movement are matching Yuzu's pretty nicely especially towards the end xD

Great that some things are resurfacing - nice opportunity for the new fans to catch up. 

17 hours ago, EisElle said:

judging by the date + visit to Iwate being referenced + Yuzuru's clothes, I thought it must have been part of the same segment filmed for Memories of that day and the charity NHK exhibition special aired in early January 2016.

Indeed, consulting this thread I found some partial footage and it's all linked to the NHK Special EX. No subs, but you can find a translation of the Yuzuru's short Q/A with kids here: https://yuzusorbet.tumblr.com/post/136930360207/7th-jan-tv-news-on-yuzuru-in-otsuchi-iwate-my  :10636614:

and here the NHK Special Ex.

videos I found:

30minutes long offstage (kids at 9:40. Also, Chopin 4S-SE at 11:50 and the glorious SE-3A-SE-3A-SE, 14:32 loooong hydroblade)

a special talk (there's Plushenko in too) with an ever shorter fragment (partial translation of the talk: https://yuzusorbet.tumblr.com/post/137006551447/talk-with-yuzuru-plushenko-and-mao-at-nhk-special)

About the actual footage of kids sitting down and asking the unfamous marriage question, I could only find a 480p 3minutes long fragment (only half with the kids in) in the (currently MIA) HanyuMuseum archive. I'll try to upload it tomorrow (actually, later today LOL), unless someone else can find better version.

HanyuMuseum had named the segment "160109 Teremasa Coverage of Yuzuru Hanyu".

The date of the Teremasa footage (and also of the vids uploaded by YzRIKO above) is two days after the one referenced by yuzusorbet translation, same for the giftset. The broadcaster in the gifset looks different too, so there must have been another broadcast before January 7th that I can't find (and if not even Kaeryth could find and add it to her compilation...well :tumblr_inline_mg16f1RxCn1qdlkyg:)

Maybe something could be dug out on bilibili, but I'm not the most proficient in searching stuff there.

I thought I had seen a full sub of the NHK special Exhibition but maybe I'm mixing up with other things :/ in video section we only have a 10minute dubbed/subbed version of Hana wa Saku at NHKExhibition

Anyway, I'm linking also this 30minutes footage of New Year on Ice 2016 (that I often mix with the NHK exhibition)

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av3866265/

(I think some NewYear show footage can be found in Jounetsu Tairiku from April 2016, while Memories of that day doc is is linked to the NHK Special)

In this other compilation there are more links for vids of the NHK special vids, like Requiem (no additional kids footage)

To use the compilations in this subforum you need to know which type of event was (competition/iceshow/others like backstage) and the year (alternatively, name of the comp and go through all the years). Some links are sadly offline now, but there's many links and some aren't in the video section, like those abotu NHK special ex. backstage, so it's a useful complementary tool when searhcing for Zuzu vids:tumblr_inline_n2pjd3guzE1qdlkyg:

Omg... Thank you so much!!! I can't believe you put down this much time and effort to help me! You linked so many good things, now I have so much stuff to watch and read :party0021: And thank you so much for the compilation tip! You were able to find waaaay more content than I did and I thought I searched long and hard lol. Now off to devour all these links ~ thankyouthankyouthankyou :tumblr_inline_n2pje2TPZt1qdlkyg:

4 hours ago, Anabel said:

Yuzu always present... :tumblr_inline_mfy936EPNF1qid2nw:

I've been wondering that for quite a while: Isn't there any copyright or similar rule for costumes? I mean from real designers like Satomi Ito of course, not speaking about casual shirts. Can just anyone copy the designed original costume and wear it at a competition? Because, you know, that has a negative connotation for me.

8 hours ago, Anabel said:

A funny tribute :tumblr_inline_mg16go8gBg1qdlkyg :

:hehe:  Anabel, whose birthday I would remember :10815002: and there, you made a strong and beautiful tribute to Yuzu and Mr  : YuzuPoohLove:  and, in addition, to have been broadcast in Japan  : clapclap4:  and here is sweet Yuzu and at the end the joy of this little girl (who must to be 8 years older) and this sublime memory of having had the honor of having Yuzu's 2014 Olympic medal around her neck and which indicates her humility and love of children 

so, Yuzuru's sakura tree is not what it was thought to be.. what if it isn't a sakura tree after all? :laughing: but anyway, it's pink and glorious and gorgeous, so who cares!:tumblr_inline_n2pje2TPZt1qdlkyg: Though I wonder why they couldn't tell already from the first blooming in 2019 that they had been given the wrong variety?

Happy to see it grow so well, I feel emotional looking at the pic from 2020 and seeing what a beauty has become:tumblr_inline_mzx8t1Yuvn1r8msi5: Grow strong and beloved, dear yuzusakura tree!:665e343793b9:

15 hours ago, themoonknows said:

Omg... Thank you so much!!! I can't believe you put down this much time and effort to help me! You linked so many good things, now I have so much stuff to watch and read :party0021: And thank you so much for the compilation tip! You were able to find waaaay more content than I did and I thought I searched long and hard lol. Now off to devour all these links ~ thankyouthankyouthankyou :tumblr_inline_n2pje2TPZt1qdlkyg:

you're welcome:tumblr_inline_n2pjd3guzE1qdlkyg:

here the Teremasa snippet (the vid is actually a 360p :shame: but Yuzuru's reaction to the marriage question can still be seen XD

on a more serious note

Spoiler

trigger warning/content warning: referencing what Yuzuru said during CiONTU live broadcast

Spoiler

Of course kids were just kids and that particular exchange about marriage had no maliciousness, but just around the time when this bit was aired Yuzuru had to publicly deny in a press con the rumours spread by a tabloid about dating a former classmate (afaik the press con was in Morioka for the NHK Special Exhibition, I'm not sure if it was just a question during the presscon or he made a separate statement)

idk the details nor what tabloid were saying to affect Yuzuru so much, but the dating rumours and tabloids gossiping in early 2016 were a big part of the mess that seriously affected his mental health* that made him say in CiONTU that controversial bit about "wanting to die" (or even worse, "trying" to die. I believe question is still pretty open about what he meant)

*(reminder he was also hiding a serious injury then and facing unprecedented pressure after his record skates in NHK and GPF)

I wish Yuzuru could just live his life without having to worry about what tabloids will make up about him or his loved ones and without certain types of fans feeling entitled to rule his private life :/

We may have our feelings and thoughts about people, but Yuzuru's life is Yuzuru's only, and he has all the right to make his own choices without anyone else presuming they know better (even if out of misguided protectiveness. But I'm going off a tangent here)

15 hours ago, DancingFeather said:

I've been wondering that for quite a while: Isn't there any copyright or similar rule for costumes? I mean from real designers like Satomi Ito of course, not speaking about casual shirts. Can just anyone copy the designed original costume and wear it at a competition? Because, you know, that has a negative connotation for me.

a bit OT, placing under spoiler:offtopic2:

Spoiler

afaik, yes, everyone can copy, and no, there is no copyright-like anyhting on FS costumes

well, for Satomi's costume, design may have resemblences but obviously it' s hard to reproduce the whole thing down with the details. Yuzuru had his share of (Weir-)inspired costumes too, like NDP and tbh even Etude has some resemblance to JW's Otonal (but Etude much much prettier).

Many novice and jr skaters use costume inspired by their idols.

Just sticking to Zuzu's costumes, we got Malinin with Seimei (and tbh his SP one resembles a bit LMEY, but could be just another edgy rockstar vibes costume), several POTOs, Masquerade, White Legend, iirc something resembling PW too, H&L also in ladies' version, swanyu in ladies version, some costume at a point reminded me of RJ1 too, Kao's SP resembles vaguely Otonal 2.0, and I've seen many many shirts with uncanny resemblance to Ballade (though shirts with blue&white color scheme can be rather common overall, e.g. was Adam Siao Him Fa's SP 2018-19 costume inspired by Ballade or not?:scratch3:). Heck, there was even a whole gymnastic chinese team iirc with RJ2 costumes :biggrin:

Some non-Yuzu examples would be e.g. Haein Lee red costume 2019-20FS that resembled Mao's red Ritual Fire Dance, or certain costume that resembled Alina's Carmen or her iconic red tutu. I'm pretty sure I've also seen a Yuna's danse macabre tributes too.

Generally such tribute costumes are regarded as cute and sweet, can even be a point of pride. No idea what the designers themselves think tho:tumblr_inline_mg16f1RxCn1qdlkyg:

tbh, I find it perfectly acceptable when it's from young skaters because it's meant without malice, and there is no monetary gain when these kids wear for comps costumes inspired by their faves.

When Yuzuru's team asked Joe Hisaishi for permission ot use his music, they referenced the fact that it was to be used in a sport competition (source)

“Although [Hisaishi] was not present, Hisaishi’s side listened to the actual piece that I had edited for the program on the spot. And [I brought up the fact] that figure skating isn’t for commercial purposes but is purely done for sports.

so I guess that, even in case of intellectual propriety for a certain design, a similar claim could be made for costumes too.

I find it a bit more questionable when skaters are grown up. I can think of Misah Ge's 2017-18 FS costume (tho, as I said, Ballade-like kind of shirt aren't that rare and have been around even before Zuzu's own take)

There's no copyright on choreo of the programs either (nor on a particular music cut).

Afaik Tatsuki Machida was exploring the concept of a copyright on a certain program, so that skaters could "borrow" a certain program for a fee. Right now it's wild west, everyone taking inspiration from others' programs liberally (or reusing their own choreo for different programs and different skaters LOL even if in theory skaters pay for new choreo). DaniilG made an art of using others' choreo and is unapologetic about that (on the contrary, he claims to be an absolute genious). When a dance choreographer found out Alina's Bad guy choreo in FaOI copied their own and were loud about their dispeasure on SNS, DaniilG said that they should have felt "honored" that a OGM figure skater was skating to ther choreo :shocked:

To be fair, FS programs often reference other arts, especially ballet and dance in general or musicals, not to talk about iconic videoclips (all the MJ programs? Vogue? and so on), but e.g. for Alina's Bad Guy it was more complex, because the program was an EX and she and choreographer were getting paid for the performance, so they couldn't hide behind a pretence of "fair use" and "no monetary gain" like for a competition program. I'm not sure how it ended, but iirc after the story of plagiarism came out Alina stopped doing that program in FaOI.

Like for costumes, I still find it acceptable when it's young skaters "copying" their idols's programs. Imitating their faves to some degree is just part of their growth as skaters, just like kids dressing up like their fave fictional character or imitating their favourite dance. E.g. one of Yuzuru's novice programs (Vivaldi maybe?) used plenty of Plushenko choreo, but then when he grew up he had his own choreo and skated his own skating even when doing programs that were formally "tributes"

If it's a senior skater doing that, that I'd side-eye a lot more

Hellooooo everyone! Newly signed up but I’m usually a lurker on the forum and want to thank the lovely people who compiled all the videos of Yuzu :YuzuPoohLove:

Wanted to go back and watch some old subbed videos of Yuzu but one of the channels I follow Blueflame for Yuzu has already been terminated :((( similarly their Twitter account has also been inactive since 2020, I hope Rin, the owner, is okay. Also, YT is being awful and deleting old subbed videos so save it while you can. 

Anyway, if you guys are familiar with  work, would you guys know if there are similar vids here on PH? Specifically looking for the 24HR TV interview where Yuzu brought up the Shittily Taken photos lol https://imgur.com/a/JF3lEi2

45 minutes ago, shina07 said:

Hellooooo everyone! Newt signed up but I’m usually a lurker on the forum and want to thank the lovely people who compiled all the videos of Yuzu :YuzuPoohLove:

Wanted to go back and watch some old subbed videos of Yuzu but one of the channels I follow Blueflame for Yuzu has already been terminated :((( similarly their Twitter account has also been inactive since 2020, I hope Rin, the owner, is okay. Also, YT is being awful and deleting old subbed videos so save it while you can. 

Anyway, if you guys are familiar with  work, would you guys know if there are similar vids here on PH? Specifically looking for the 24HR TV interview where Yuzu brought up the Shittily Taken photos lol https://imgur.com/a/JF3lEi2

Welcome to the Planet! Don't be shy! Post often!