General Yuzuru Chat

hace 6 minutos , Yuzuwinnie said:

:wave:  for the moment, I saw only the SP women in full and I'm waiting for the FS on Youtube (I only have that in fact), well I watched only individuals, and of course the French know what which is good (isn't it  :wink2:) and I saw the women's medal ceremony and the ovation of the public and above all, the smile and sportsmanship of the 3 competitors and I read an article about the victory of Kaori and I will quote this: "the Russians were not welcome on French ice: no question then of racing with quadruple jumps as the Russian spinning tops had become accustomed to" end of quote and I do not know who write that!? the famous "jumping machine" 

Also I would have liked to watch the men's SP (well I would have jumped on some .....), maybe it will appear later and of course my thoughts go to Yuzu and saw the banner in the Montpellier rink , he did not : snonegai:forget

I've just watched women's medal ceremony, and:

1)I'm happy to see a podium of girls who are growing and improving, and WOMEN who have reached the top, not only very young girls who are going to be forgotten once they reach puberty.

2)And I'm absolutely glad to see the three athletes enjoying their triumph. No more devastated faces and bitter tears because it's "just" a silver medal.

I'd like to think ISU and IOC could learn a lesson, but I'm not very optimistic about it.

6 hours ago, Mor2904 said:

He is still in the hearts and minds of FS fans.

:thankssign: the French for this banner  :heartpound:  and I opened the tweet and read what he wrote on FB and saw one  : YuzuPoohLove:  with a blue beret (which is black in real life) which is symbolic of the Basque country (which is not far from Montpellier) and also the red bandana and one  :dancingpooh: dressed with typical French is rare  :peace2:  and I admired the painting of Yuzu by the French artist : clapclap4:  

I also have an article on a fairer notation, ah YES but no one mentioned that it was Yuzu who thought of it the 1st and I saw (truth or fake?) that it had already been done in 2019 and 2021 in Japan!?

https://www.ouest-france.fr/jeux-olympiques/jo-2022-en-patinage-artistique-l-intelligence-artificielle-pour-une-notation-plus-juste-6090f96c-8cb5-11ec-bca3- 08445a122d14  

Guest Mary_kyo

Fuji MAD for 2018-2022~ Such difficult years and a very struggling journey.

https://weibo.com/tv/show/1034:4751409573462114?from=old_pc_videoshow

They ended it with "See you next story" not "See you next season". 

I hope Yuzu takes his time to decide wisely, they don't deserve him and his rare dedication to keep integrity and clean fighting. He didn't even pre-rotate to land 4A, while the World champion today is just the king of pre-rotation. If you ask me AI will never be used in FS, not because it's difficult, no. Because it will get away the chances of federation's favorite skaters such as Shoma to get medals. 

Rant upcoming

Spoiler

I feel like I live in a world where the same thing is being repeated over and over again. Everywhere I go I keep reading the same words and it’s making things even less fun than they already are.

It’s almost a toxic negativity that I can’t escape because it’s just EVERYWHERE.

I love Yuzu, I really do. I hate what the ISU is doing to this sport too and I get that this place is supposed to be a save heaven for Fanyus but there has got to be a limit to how many times the same narrative is being repeated like a broken record. We know what the deal is, it’s not going to stop anytime soon if no one does anything against it. Talking about it doesn’t do anything. Action does but no one is willing to go through with it. So I can only give myself the advise to enjoy FS the way it is, ignore all scoring and see the good in every other skater - whether it’s in their jumps, their artistry or just because they are cute and bubbly. Attending a competition has made me realise this. Being there in person, in front of the skaters, mixed in with the crowd and clapping my palms raw had me appreciate things in different ways and I don’t want to lose that.

I suppose people do what they can - action is taken in many ways, even talking about scoring on a forum has an educative value. I am not a conspiracy theory supporter, usually, and used to bypass comments on here about feds and corruption, but those posting and patiently pointing out issues that I hadn't considered or seen direct evidence of eventually led to me seeing what was rather obvious, that this sport IS corrupt (and there is a long history of it), that scoring IS an issue, that athletes all suffer as a result, and that fans become disillusioned especially when their faves have no chance. There is nationalism/racism at play in this sport (as well as sexism, homophobia, transphobia, ageism, ableism) - it needs talking about eg Asian skaters (if not from  US, and apart from those identified for extra support by the more powerful feds such as JSF) are generally scored lower than US and Russian skaters - look at Young You and Haein Lee in the women's event, and compare with Mariah. Injustices do need to be recognised or they never change. Talking about them on forums raises awareness - where do you think fans of a niche sport like this CAN talk about these things if not on here? I do also understand your desire to enjoy the sport - I remember when I first became a fan and didnt know anything and I do look back fondly on that time - but I believe fans can and should have a role in making things better - to do that we have to know there's a problem - to know that we have to have discussions. Forums are the place for discussions. We make choices about whether we want to join in or not, that topic can always be ignored, there are many threads to explore if people are having discussions you dont like. Of course, this is just my view - some will agree, some won't - a happy byproduct of freedom of expression which we are lucky to enjoy - Russians cant even say there is a war when there is one!

To add to Pammi's good points, and from a more general view... can we all simply be adult and respectful here?

I have very little power here as I'm still fairly new, and although I've been an FS fan for 15 ish years I do lack a lot of knowledge in scoring corruption etc, and have only been following Yuzu closely since last month. For the sake of complete honestly, I will admit that I have personally felt a little down reading all the (sometimes broken-record style, yes) very negative comments on scoring, Shoma, Nathan, Yuma etc. and I have even felt guilty when noticing and appreciating a few good things in Shoma's program today for example. This guilt stemmed directly from all my reading on this forum, and I felt I was not being a proper Yuzu supporter if there were things I found even half-decent in SU,YK,NC skating. But no one on here has ever said I should feel guilt, it's just something that happened after reading a lot, and that is mostly my own fault, as I took things to heart maybe a bit too much, instead of trying to keep my own opinion and not take everything to heart.

So yes, there are times when I read things on here and feel "what's the point of watching FS anymore, or waiting for Yuzu to decide to stay, if it's all so futile"? But 1) I chose to sign up to this forum 2)I choose to read it daily and sometimes post on it,and no one is forcing me to stay if I don't like it. There are days when it's all so negative I choose to briefly read and then stay away from my phone.

Even though Mary_Kyo has recently been one of the members with the negative comments on FS in general, is it fair to call them a "keyboard warrior" which as we all know is a derogatory comment? No it is not. For a start we don't know that they aren't taking action on the side, but also they are just expressing an opinion on a public forum which they are entitled to. Lastly and my biggest concern is, how do we actually take action (and CAN we take action, at our level, as I feel like most of us here are not professionals in the FS world, but hopefully I'm wrong?)? And how do we avoid hurting Yuzu and his reputation in the making? Because if that's one thing we all have in common, no matter how different our backgrounds, knowledge of skating and personnality are - we want the best for Yuzuru.

Having discussions and criticising what is wrong with the sport is something good and we have been doing it for years. However, that is not all that has been happening here lately. We have people attacking other fans or being rude to others just because they like a skater that is considered over scored or problematic for some reason. We have people making personal comments about skaters' personalities and appearance. We also have people looking for everything negative they can find on social media about some skaters and bring it here for no reason other than spreading negativity. These things may be few and only some people engage in that behaviour now, but it is the exact kind of behaviour that will ruin this place like many other fan spaces before it. This used to be a much more welcoming place for all fans of the sport but now I feel I can't even say that I like FS whiteout being attacked.

We are heading in a very concerning direction and I hope I am not the only one noticing this. Please take a moment and think about how we can make this a nice place for everyone. I really don't want to leave the only fandom I truly felt part of for the past few years. 

@TokyoDreamWell you can follow and support accounts on twitter such as Kaitlin Weaver and Meagan Duhamel (Yuzu is not Meagan's fave - allowed lol -  but she does raise good issues about the sport) who have been advocating for change - Kaitlyn raised issues of same sex/non binary couples for pairs recently tagging ISU, Meagan called out sexist behaviour from the dreaded Simon Reed (commentator) and CBC picked it up and contacted ISU and Simon and side kick were sacked. Also follow and support Max Ambesi who isn't perfect (but who is? not me!) he supports Yuzuru and beautiful skating and takes lots of action to raise awareness of what is happening such as holding a conference recently and making programmes and podcasts about skating and the issue with scoring esp in PCS - he's even chatted with me via DM about a couple of issues! He also is prepared to argue publicly  with American journos such as Lynn Rutherford when she questioned his support of Yuzu.  I filled in the ISU fan consultation form (and hope many fans did - ISU probably took no notice, but if they are inviting our views, we should definitely give them!).  I'm sure other fans have things they do and can make suggestions.  Fran on YouTube made fab video/essay re abuse and exploitation of young athletes in FS, esp girls - all available on YouTube. Subscribe - give feedback. Get involved, if you wish to. Support accounts like Polina's above who calls out scoring issues, respectfully.

As Anna Sherbakova said : " I am doing my job by skating and the judges are doing theirs. It doesn´t depend on me" 

If we wan´t to criticize,  we should criticize the system and not the individual skaters and their fans. Shoma and all the other athletes are training everyday to get to this level, so we should give credits and respect were it is due. Saying all his efforts are just beeing acknowledged because he is "cute" and he had a better life since he comes from a rich family I find quit disrespectful. 

We all know that most skaters have bad technique but the system rewards it so they don´t have to make a effort changing it.

We all love Yuzuru but we don´t need to bring other skaters down to compliment and uplift him. 

Thanks a lot @Pammi!

I do sometimes wonder what the "elders" of the forum feel (i.e. the ones who've been here the longest, not the oldest ones by age :P ) - and I know elders of the forum won't necessarily be people who have the biggest knowledge of the figure skating, or even necessarily be the most fair with constructive criticism "just because" they've been here the longest, but I personally wonder what they think, if they feel like the general feel of the forum has taken a turn or if this kind of negativity just comes and goes (after all, Olympics just ended and it's rarely smooth sailing).

57 minutes ago, Suzu said:

To bring little bit of happiness to this dark night....:loveshower:

I couldn't agree more with the spectator of this video :clap:  OOOOOOOLEEEEE....Yuzuru Hanyu, I loveeeee you.....

Enough to make a grown man cry. 

About negative comments about other skaters, because I feel the need to defend those who don’t try to see everything through a positive lense:

Spoiler

I can acknowledge good aspects of a skater. Imo, Nathan Chen does have good jumps, but what exactly is technique? Only take-off and landings?

Definitely not. How you fill the program, make jumps match the music and to do it in an artistic way should be base requirements.

Why do SS and TR exist then?Why have GOE bullets if you don’t use them?

Yes, the skaters aren’t at fault but these people are athletes, most of them adults at that. I cannot see how people who invested so much time into a sport wouldn’t have self awareness.

Fine, you’re getting ridiculous scores. But then try to work to make it at least seem like you deserve those GOEs, those PCS. 
I followed other sports before watching FS, am involved in classical music and ballet.I had high expectations of FS, I thought I’d see the perfect mix of athleticism and artistry.

Of course there are more athletic or more artistic skaters in the spectrum, but if even the athleticism is questionable, we have a problem.

Gymnastics could involve AI, the ISU could as well if they wanted to.

If FS wants to remain a Olympic sport, it has to stop being complacent. The federations have to have a bigger interest in optimizing the sport, not filling their pockets with money.

And one thing sports fans across the board cannot stand is cheating and manipulation of the results.

I can respect other skaters philosophies, doesn’t mean I have to appreciate them.

Yuzu used to get calls for his Flip, right? He worked on them. Nowadays feds do so much that the calls won’t even be in the protocols. 
Thats bs.

Anna as a 17 year old said it better than some of the male skaters.

If I see people being all boastful and proud about scores that others have to work years for (Adelina), I am appalled. Especially when the people who brought success to the fed in the first place aren’t appreciated.

Yuna Kim’s face in Sochi K and C is all you need to know that for. Young Yous quad attempts to even have an outside chance at a podium meanwhile people can score 80+ with a 2A if it’s done right.The consistent, neglected abuse. Eteri is bad, but don’t forget Hamada. RAF trash talking his skaters.
This thread has some million views. What is posted here definitely is part of a bigger discussion.

If you are mad about someone stating their negative opinion on a skater, you have seen nothing, imo.

Athletes in other sports get disturbed while performing.

Figure skating should strive for excellence, not complacency.

If the main idea of the sport isn’t represented anymore, the ISU cannot call itself a sports governing body, apart from speed skating.

This is rightful criticism at the rotten institution that is the ISU.