General Yuzuru Chat

Hace 7 horas, Geo1 said:

It is entirely up to Yuzu what he will do next and I will support him in whatever he decides upon, but my gut instinct tells me that he will want to continue skating competitively.

Ghislain, who has known and worked with him as long as Brian, feels that Yuzu is capable of competing for another four years and even at the age of 35. This is from the coach who seems to know Yuzu the best, has earned Yuzu’s trust, has continued to maintain contact with Yuzu despite the pandemic and has always made Yuzu his number one priority, keeping his best interests at heart.

If Yuzu decides to continue competing, he will not be alone in the field of superstar GOATs who have successfully continued their careers against the challenges of aging.

A recent case in point is Tom Brady who is the winningest quarterback in NFL history and widely considered the GOAT. He recently announced his retirement at the age of 44. Last week, he watched from the stands in England as Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo scored a hat trick in an English Premier League game against Tottenham Hotspur. As the game finished and the 37-year-old Rinaldo completed his stunning master class on how elite athletes defy age, he met with Brady and asked him a simple question: "You're finished, right?"

But Brady's competitive embers had been rekindled. The next day, he announced his come back to football for a 23rd season just 40 days after his "retirement." Citing "unfinished business," Brady tweeted, "my place is still on the field and not in the stands."

This is from the nbcnews.com/think/opinion entitled "Tom Brady refuses to retire. How aging athletes stay superstars." In addition to Tom Brady and Cristiano Rinaldo this article also refers to Lebron James, Serena Williams and Roger Federer.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/how-tom-brady-lebron-james-serena-williams-more-older-athletes-ncna1292347

Cristiano Rinaldo and Lebron James are both 37 years old and Roger Federer and Serena Williams are both 40 years of age.

Although you cannot compare sports and Yuzu has had repeated injuries particularly to his right ankle, he is only 27 years of age and is, according to him and obvious to his fans, stronger and better than he has ever been and is continuing to improve.

PS: You have to feel for the poor person who "won" Tom Brady's "final" touchdown football in an auction for over $518,000 only to have it become one of many touchdown footballs thrown by Tom Brady when he announced his un-retirement.

You can find a lot of great champions, in all sports, who are in their thirties. Tonight I've watched a tennis match: Nadal vs Alcaraz (Indian Wells). Nadal is almost 36, Alcaraz is 18.

It was an amazing match, and Nadal won.

As for other great tennis players, Djokovic is 34 and Federer is 40.

And nobody is telling him they should retire, and everybody (press, federations, fellow competitors) praise their achievements (well, Djokovic has had his issues, but they are unrelated with the sport).

And, as I said at "the safe place to vent", I can't understand why ISU and JSF are treating Yuzu as "a thing of the past", an old skater who should retire and give way to the younger ones. They have one of the greatest skaters of all times (indeed, the GOAT),  they have an amazing athlete who is also able to be an artist and move people with his performances. They should be praising him, not undermining him.

Guest Mary_kyo

Why retirement option should be even on the table if the named athlete is miles and miles ahead of any other youngsters? (ofc, as long as his own motivations allows)

I also watched that Nadal Alcaraz match. Nadal 's physicality on the court would seem to indicate that he would have a short career, and he's had his share of injuries as a result, but he loves tennis. His love for the sport is what keeps him going, despite a new marriage, incredible wealth etc. He has every reason and means to retire, but why do so if you love it? Federer too, with 4 kids... but he's now rehabbing again at 40, just for one last chance to play for a Slam. And Andy Murray, also 4 kids, terrible hip problems... after his latest return after surgery when he was always losing said " don't feel sorry for me, I'm doing what I love." Sports training and rehab is so different now, you can compete for a long time. 

I love that age isn't a reason to retire anymore, if you're still capable of doing what you love.  Another great example, Oksana Chousovitna ( my spelling way off) in gymnastics. 8 Olympic Games. 

The difference in skating is that it's judged. That gives a certain amount of power to others over your career if they don't support you. But, if you love the sport, that will not matter. I hope Yuzu follows his heart and does what he wants to do, not what others want him to do. You get one life. 

27 minutes ago, liv said:

I also watched that Nadal Alcaraz match. Nadal 's physicality on the court would seem to indicate that he would have a short career, and he's had his share of injuries as a result, but he loves tennis. His love for the sport is what keeps him going, despite a new marriage, incredible wealth etc. He has every reason and means to retire, but why do so if you love it? Federer too, with 4 kids... but he's now rehabbing again at 40, just for one last chance to play for a Slam. And Andy Murray, also 4 kids, terrible hip problems... after his latest return after surgery when he was always losing said " don't feel sorry for me, I'm doing what I love." Sports training and rehab is so different now, you can compete for a long time. 

I love that age isn't a reason to retire anymore, if you're still capable of doing what you love.  Another great example, Oksana Chousovitna ( my spelling way off) in gymnastics. 8 Olympic Games. 

The difference in skating is that it's judged. That gives a certain amount of power to others over your career if they don't support you. But, if you love the sport, that will not matter. I hope Yuzu follows his heart and does what he wants to do, not what others want him to do. You get one life. 

This is unrelated but I love how many tennis fans we have here

but yeah, skating is judged so it makes it a lot more difficult, although it should be simple in theory…

Yuzu's 3A with one arm folded during practice - he's amazing! 

I thought perhaps apart from the bigger picture discussion on PR team, coaches and scores, wearing gloves with a bit contrasting color like with the Otonal costume would help to point to where the hands are? Because RC costume has similar colors. 

Dsl2b90VAAADysy.jpg

4 hours ago, Anabel said:

I have a question about GOE on jumps that end in fall. If the skater falls, regardless of whether the rest of the jump was good (entrance, axis, height,...) automatically the GOE must be -5? :tumblr_inline_mzx8s4JRlX1r8msi5:

Technically, not necessarily. As I understand it, the -5 is for the fall itself, but the other bullet points for positive GOE still apply. I.e., if it hits some bullet point to, say, get +3 GOE, then if the skater falls in a particular jump, the final GOE would be +3-5 = -2. The rules do not say: "When the skater fall, the jump automatically gets a final -5 GOE". The only "final GOE must be -5" in the rule book is for a jump in SP that is not according to the requirement.

Someone do correct me if my knowledge is now outdated. lord knows I can't keep up with ISU ever changing, vague rules.

I watched Nadal/Alcaraz last night too (wow! I'll be following Alcaraz to see how he does, he looks an amazing player at 18! Bit like Yuzu was when he was a late teen !) I am a Rafa fan and a Lewis Hamilton fan too (F1) - Lewis is 37 and pretty much at the top of his game too.  People tend to think of the physical fitness needed when they talk of age/retirement - but these elite sportspeople in their mid 30s and 40s also have such mental strength, and Yuzu has that in spades too! I'm in the don't-retire-please-Yuzu camp, he has even better years to come imo....but of course it must be tough when your own governing body at home and internationally don't seem to give you the support others get so all of us would understand if he did decide to r.....interestingly the Formula 1 governing body don't seem to like Lewis much either (of course it couldn't possibly have anything to do with him being a person of colour in a " white sport", or him being an activist for social justice including BLM, or being wildly popular...(rolls eyes))

11 hours ago, Xiupia said:

Since we were talking about PR today;

Having pop idols singing you praise for free on variety shows, Yuzu is indeed a household name. 

I know Shoko-tan is comedic, but the whole thing is very relatable lol 

I understand that many of us want to have the focus of PR to be on his skills and whatnot, but athletes are always being talked abt in terms like these on the media, I think. 

I also agree abt the age thing @Geo1 very nicely put. It will all depend on his ankle state, but this retirement push for him reeks of desperate politics. 

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].

It was like a dam burst! She was talking so fast that she ran out of breath! (I think she had to wipe away some spittle.) The host had trouble trying to interject a question! And her fanart! She also loved Yuzu practicing in his sleek black outfit in Beijing. She is a typical Yuzu fan. Anytime anyone asks me about Yuzu, I keep running at the mouth!

11 hours ago, Sha said:

Right now, at this present time, I am imagining and hoping that Yuzu is sleeping well at night, eating well, and enjoying his daily life doing simple things like buying his favourite food (gyoza) from his favourite stall :9:

... and after lunch browsing his favourite electronics shop (safe from fans) happily anticipating his next earphone acquisition.

5 hours ago, liv said:

5 hours ago, Dominique said:

This is unrelated but I love how many tennis fans we have here

but yeah, skating is judged so it makes it a lot more difficult, although it should be simple in theory…

(Yeah, lot of tennis fans, that's great!)

When a sport has judges (not only the FS has) the risk of bias in the scores is very high and that always distorts the sport itself... Sad but true...

3 hours ago, Sun_Rise said:

Yuzu's 3A with one arm folded during practice - he's amazing! 

I thought perhaps apart from the bigger picture discussion on PR team, coaches and scores, wearing gloves with a bit contrasting color like with the Otonal costume would help to point to where the hands are? Because RC costume has similar colors. 

Dsl2b90VAAADysy.jpg

A commentator, I think from Spanish TV, said something about it in the sense that since Yuzu also uses his hands in choreos, he always wears gloves, to emphasize it or bring the gaze to his hands.

2 hours ago, yuzupon said:

Technically, not necessarily. As I understand it, the -5 is for the fall itself, but the other bullet points for positive GOE still apply. I.e., if it hits some bullet point to, say, get +3 GOE, then if the skater falls in a particular jump, the final GOE would be +3-5 = -2. The rules do not say: "When the skater fall, the jump automatically gets a final -5 GOE". The only "final GOE must be -5" in the rule book is for a jump in SP that is not according to the requirement.

Someone do correct me if my knowledge is now outdated. lord knows I can't keep up with ISU ever changing, vague rules.

Thanks a lot for the explanation. It has sense to me. Thanks! :67638860:

16 minutes ago, Anabel said:

A commentator, I think from Spanish TV, said something about it in the sense that since Yuzu also uses his hands in choreos, he always wears gloves, to emphasize it or bring the gaze to his hands.

Exactly, and he could use them for Rondo Cap as well (he didn't have them).