General Yuzuru Chat

Guest Mary_kyo

Does anyone knows the details of Nakazawa's "Ashura on Ice" story in a weekly magazine? Apparently, it is the story of a figure skater battling alone against injustice and scoring corruption and many thinks it's a reference to Yuzu. 

I find it amazing that it seems there are more Japanese people who are so aware of the scoring injustice despite the media and officials keeping it under the rug. 

This is a bit OT, but it might be very interesting for Yuzu and his 4A quest:

I always thought that these 45° take-off angle are crucial for figure skating jumps as well, but apparently the golden number seems to be 38.7°.

If your jumping distance is exactly 5 times as big as your peak height, your chances are very good to achieve the biggest trajectory overall.

I don't know if this is still true for quads and quints (I need more stats to check that), but for triples or less revolutions it definitely works.

Guest Mary_kyo

Maybe off-topic but the difference between these two is like day and night. I'm so glad that Yuzu trained with Ghislain for all these years. Maybe the corrupted system doesn't reward him, maybe racist white figure skating fans mock him, maybe no one in the community stands up for him but at the end he stood loyal to his morals and ideals and that's why even without a medal, he is the champion.

3 hours ago, Mary_kyo said:

Does anyone knows the details of Nakazawa's "Ashura on Ice" story in a weekly magazine? Apparently, it is the story of a figure skater battling alone against injustice and scoring corruption and many thinks it's a reference to Yuzu. 

I find it amazing that it seems there are more Japanese people who are so aware of the scoring injustice despite the media and officials keeping it under the rug. 

This would be really great. We need more stories in high profile media that would have outreach to those who make decisions. Stories, materials in mainstream media, all of this again and again to argue that we've got a serious problem here and that justice should be done. 

The type of impact that people like Massimiliano Ambesi can have - this guy is really great, he's got the knowledge and the passion, he can communicate all of this to non-experts demonstrating his competence but at the same time getting emotional and passionate about it. 

@Henni147 this is amazing work that you're doing, thank you!

:rofl3:

油断禁物! 今はまだ冬

Be on your guard! It's still winter now.

車のスピンは命とり

Spins of car are deadly.

4回転半は羽生選手だけ

Only Hanyu senshu can do 4.5 rotations.

路面凍結にご注意を

Beware of icy road surfaces.

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].
14 hours ago, Geo1 said:

“The Best Figure Skater in the World”

WATCH: Legend Yuzuru Hanyu Once Gave Young Kids a Special Figure Skating Lesson

https://www.essentiallysports.com/us-sports-news-figure-skating-watch-legend-yuzuru-hanyu-once-gave-young-kids-a-special-figure-skating-lesson/

Published 03/10/2022

ESSENTIALLY SPORTS

the fan's perspective

As for now, Yuzuru is recovering from his ankle injury and taking a much-needed rest. And while we miss out on his heroics, we more than make up for it in this throwback Thursday episode.

A coach in the making

In what is the perfect blast from the past, the 27-year-old Japanese sensation can be seen adorably teaching little figure skaters the key aspects of the sport. Dating back to 2017, the video shows Hanyu giving instructions to the kids, while the kids are looking at the Olympic champion in sheer admiration.

It appears the figure skating legend has all the qualities to be an excellent coach, and that comes as no surprise, given that he is the best figure skater in the world. Post-retirement, he can surely consider coaching as a professional career.

Catching up with the Fanart thread I saw this :tumblr_inline_mfy936EPNF1qid2nw:

32 minutes ago, Anabel said:

While catching up on the Fanart thread I saw this :tumblr_inline_mfy936EPNF1qid2nw :

Imagine in a few years, the memory that these children will have and will be able to say that they will have had a skating lesson with Mr Hanyu Yuzuzu senshue / san? who is THE BEST OF THE BEST and be proud of  it: oh yes, this benevolent look towards them / soft voice and delighted to see this kid doing a hydroblading : clapclap4:   

Nice humor from the Japanese on the sign and  :thankssign:to Suzy Q for the translation and a few years ago I did a double in freezing rain and in the ditch on the roof : but I got nothing thanks to the belt and some crumpled sheet metal 

6 hours ago, Henni147 said:

This is a bit OT, but it might be very interesting for Yuzu and his 4A quest:

I always thought that these 45° take-off angle are crucial for figure skating jumps as well, but apparently the golden number seems to be 38.7°.

If your jumping distance is exactly 5 times as big as your peak height, your chances are very good to achieve the biggest trajectory overall.

I don't know if this is still true for quads and quints (I need more stats to check that), but for triples or less revolutions it definitely works.

Great additions!

A fellow fanyu on twitter reminded me of these two TV segments here:

The long jump world record by Mike Powell has a near 1:5 ratio of height and distance as well:
895cm : 180.8cm = 4.95

Also, Yuzu's jump that was used as example here has a near 1:5 ratio of height and distance:

322cm : 67cm = 4.80
In Saitama 2019 he was even closer to the ideal:

362cm : 70cm = 5.17

And Yuzu said in that one interview that for the 4A he needs a height of 80cm and distance of 4m.

Ratio here is exactly 1:5 again. So he probably knows all this already.

Please note: that 22° is not the take-off angle but the angle between the ground and the peak height.

For the take-off angle you need a modelling with a parabole and different calculation formula.

5 hours ago, Mary_kyo said:

Maybe off-topic but the difference between these two is like day and night. I'm so glad that Yuzu trained with Ghislain for all these years. Maybe the corrupted system doesn't reward him, maybe racist white figure skating fans mock him, maybe no one in the community stands up for him but at the end he stood loyal to his morals and ideals and that's why even without a medal, he is the champion.

Comparing Ghislain Briand and Rafael Arutyunyan is like comparing the 1984 film “Karate Kid” characters Mr. Miyagi and John Kreese (Cobra Kai).

Rafael Arutyunyan:

"I'll be honest it’s not part of my plans to have Nathan Chen fight someone on an equal footing at the Olympics. That is why we are using all opportunities and loopholes to make the most of progress and to go far ahead."

"Rules are there to violate.”

Ghislain Briand:

"I have my own principles that cannot be compromised when it comes to guidance on jumps, that is, skaters must not cheap jump. Take off, spin in the air, land on ice, none of these elements can be compromised."

John Kreese:

"We do not train to be merciful here. Mercy is for the weak. Here, on the street, in competition, a man confronts you, he is the enemy. An enemy deserves no mercy."

(To student Johnny Lawrence in final flight with Daniel Larusso): "Sweep the leg. You have a problem with that?"

Johnny Lawrence: "No, sensei."

John Kreese: "No mercy."

Mr. Miyagi:

"You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity."

"No such thing as bad student, only bad teacher. Teacher say, student do."