General Yuzuru Chat

That interview was simultaneously excruciating and inspiring to watch. The depth of his thoughts and feelings, his honesty with himself, his bravery in sharing his struggles, his continual desire to give and give back to others....

I am now even more grateful to the volunteers and others at Beijing, especially those who cheered on his post-FS practices, who showed him that regardless of medals, he and his skating touch people's hearts.

1 hour ago, cereus said:

I am now even more grateful to the volunteers and others at Beijing, especially those who cheered on his post-FS practices, who showed him that regardless of medals, he and his skating touch people's hearts.

When we asked the Chinese fanyus to take care of him, they took the assignment seriously.

15 minutes ago, river said:

When we asked the Chinese fanyus to take care of him, they took the assignment seriously.

One of my cousins live in Beijing and she said it was a shame that because of COVID-19, most C-fanyus couldn't be there cheering for him + no pooh rains when he was competing. She hopes that Yuzu could come to China again for competitions or ice shows, and Chinese fans will give him the warmest welcome + greatest pooh rains. 😢 

5 hours ago, Mary_kyo said:

hmmm.... Yuzu either fights injury or judges in his whole career.

2013 World Championships in London, Ontario

As Tracy Wilson says in the following video, Yuzu got the flu after the Four Continents Championships and then suffered a knee injury that kept him off the ice for another week. He only had three days of limited practice before competing at the 2013 world championships.

To put things into perspective, he had finished second at the previous Grand Prix Final in Sochi behind his teammate Daisuke Takahashi and ahead, for the first time, of Patrick Chan.

Although he was only 18 years old, Yuzu was the Japanese champion and felt a heavy responsibility to earn Japan three spots for the men's single skating competition at the upcoming Olympics. In order for Japan to qualify for three spots, the top two Japanese skaters had to have a combined placement total of 10 or less. Daisuke Takahashi finished in fifth place and Takahito Mura finished in ninth place so that their combined total was 14. The combined total of 14 would have only given Japan one spot for the men's competition at the Olympics.

Yuzu fell on his opening quad toe and failed to complete his triple Lutz-triple toe loop combination and found himself in ninth place at the end of the short program. In order to get three spots for Japan at the Olympics, it was imperative that Yuzu finish in fourth place.

It still brings tears to the eyes watching Yuzu putting heart and soul into the free skate, 'Notre Dame de Paris', and earning the third highest score in the long program to pull himself up from ninth place to fourth place overall, securing Japan three spots in the Olympics.

Finally sat down and watched the wonderfully translated interview. 

To say I am in awe of Yuzuru is really not enough. I've never seen an athlete put so much thought, ponder every question so genuinely and really dig so deep into such raw, new feelings in an interview. 

Beyond the incredible skills and sportsmanship he displays as an athlete I also firmly believe everyone could and should learn from him: he has a beautiful, pure heart and is able to reach a level of deep, genuine introspection that I wish I could show barely a week after having such a difficult time. I have the utmost respect, love and gratitude for Yuzuru.

Guest Mary_kyo
36 minutes ago, Geo1 said:

It still brings tears to the eyes watching Yuzu putting heart and soul into the free skate, 'Notre Dame de Paris', and earning the third highest score in the long program to pull himself up from ninth place to fourth place overall, securing Japan three spots in the Olympics.

And 2013 WC was only few months after his first Jnats win and getting booed on the podium. He was only 18. His life is just about overcoming so many struggles including constant health issues. Yet, he has achieved more than anyone else, relying on his own talent and hardwork. Okay, I got teary eyed again :crybaby:

59 minutes ago, Geo1 said:

2013 World Championships in London, Ontario

As Tracy Wilson says in the following video, Yuzu got the flu after the Four Continents Championships and then suffered a knee injury that kept him off the ice for another week. He only had three days of limited practice before competing at the 2013 world championships.

To put things into perspective, he had finished second at the previous Grand Prix Final in Sochi behind his teammate Daisuke Takahashi and ahead, for the first time, of Patrick Chan.

Although he was only 18 years old, Yuzu was the Japanese champion and felt a heavy responsibility to earn Japan three spots for the men's single skating competition at the upcoming Olympics. In order for Japan to qualify for three spots, the top two Japanese skaters had to have a combined placement total of 10 or less. Daisuke Takahashi finished in fifth place and Takahito Mura finished in ninth place so that their combined total was 14. The combined total of 14 would have only given Japan one spot for the men's competition at the Olympics.

Yuzu fell on his opening quad toe and failed to complete his triple Lutz-triple toe loop combination and found himself in ninth place at the end of the short program. In order to get three spots for Japan at the Olympics, it was imperative that Yuzu finish in fourth place.

Thank you for posting this particular programme. This is the one I always watch when I want to see NDP again because it makes me always so proud and emotional to see him fight like this until the end. This programme and ballad from the GPF 2014 (with that smile after the fall on the combination) always tug at my heart because this is the essence of Yuzu: a boy fighting the odds and never never giving up. These programmes are not perfect but they are absolutely perfect in my eyes <3

On 3/1/2022 at 8:19 PM, Mary_kyo said:

I find a little bit of joy knowing that by this withdrawal, ISU won’t rob him and JSF won’t use him as stepping stone for their faves. He won’t be the ATM machine of ISU for this one competition, especially after so many new fans he has gained after Beijing. I also find little joy thinking at how he managed to unlock China’s market only for himself (I bet it made many officials/skaters jealous). He will have a brilliant future, no matter what he chooses. :coolio:

I have this side which loves to see Yuzu competing for a long time (because his skills are only improving and he has a lot more to offer) but I have another dark side, that doesn’t like to witness him getting screwed by almost everyone (ISU, JSF, judges, officials, media, even team Japan, etc) while they shed crocodile tears, mumbling empty praises of “Yuzu! Legend!”. Honestly, I’m not too eager to watch him compete against skaters such as Nathan or Yuma because there will never be a fair competition with such skaters. So, I’m slowly reaching to the point that as long as I get to watch him skate somewhere, I wouldn’t mind him putting this dead sport behind himself. He has sacrificed a lot, always competed with honesty and integrity but what did FS community do to him in response other than unfair mistreatment? What did his own federation do other than desperately trying to bury his career alive in the past 4 (actually 6) years for the sake of new favorite stars? This will be a very super hard decision for him. because if he still chooses to continue, they will lowball him even more. 

Despite knowing that this was the best decision, there ist this deep sadness again (like when Yuzu withdrew from GP series last year). Spring is slowly coming but I can't find any joy right now. (What with the current general situation in Europe ...) I'd probably stay at home if I could manage to sell my tickets for Worlds but the chances are almost zero, so I'll take it as a very, VERY expensive holiday, hopefully including meeting some nice people and talking about Yuzu there. Of course I knew he couldn't win at Worlds (as fair scoring can't be expected all of a sudden and now also his ankle is injured again) but I would have loved him to feel, see and hear the support of a large international audience there, not just by actions like the amazing 20,000 postcards and letters.
As for humiliation - it hurts indeed, it was almost unbearable sometimes (I've been to GPF 2019, too). However, somehow I have the feeling it can't get any worse and Yuzu has shown so much mental strength when I was thinking "How can he endure this!". Somehow I can imagine him standing above all this now, skating only for himself and his audience, demonstrating the incompetence of the judges by showcasing his unmatched quality. Why should he back down, now that he is peaking? If I compare this to other sports: Nobody asks a soccer club to retire just because they have been winning everything for decades and it's getting boring. There it would be even more understandable since they use to buy athletes (famous stars and new, young talents) from other clubs just to have them on their own bench - and this can go on and on for generations. In Yuzu's case, however,  it's just one single human being with extraordinary qualities who won't be able to compete forever. Everybody should cherish every single competition Yuzu attends because this is so rare! He is the reigning national champion and watching his 2 wonderful performances of 2021 JNats is kind of soothing to me. It's just so completely against rational thinking that anyone should push him out instead of exploiting this one-in-a-million chance. Even people who don't like him or envy him must be aware of this. :gaah:
Probably they don't even realize what mess they have caused. Are they happy now that Yuzu has gone through doubting his own qualities and overdoing training? That he felt he cannot wait but had to fulfill his childhood dream in this season (instead of thoroughly and slowly developing the 4A with the assistance of his coaches) because otherwise his scores wouldn't be enough to win? :curse:

Now he's hopefully getting the best treatment for his ankle and taking his time for resting and healing. And deciding. Of course there's ice shows - and they will be amazing (no doubt) - but it's not the same. Selfish, I know, but I will miss the thrill. Anyway, Yuzu decides. If it's his OWN wholehearted decision without outside pressure to ... (sigh) ... His physical and mental health have absolute priority and if he's happy, I'll support whatever he decides. :hugs:

4 hours ago, Geo1 said:

Championnats du monde 2013 à London, Ontario

Comme le dit Tracy Wilson dans la vidéo suivante, Yuzu a attrapé la grippe après les Championnats des quatre continents, puis a subi une blessure au genou qui l'a empêché de jouer pendant une autre semaine. Il n'a eu que trois jours d'entraînement limité avant de participer aux championnats du monde de 2013.

Pour relativiser, il avait terminé deuxième lors de la précédente Finale du Grand Prix à Sotchi derrière son coéquipier Daisuke Takahashi et devant, pour la première fois, Patrick Chan.

Bien qu'il n'ait que 18 ans, Yuzu était le champion du Japon et se sentait la lourde responsabilité de gagner trois places pour le Japon dans la compétition masculine de patinage individuel aux prochains Jeux olympiques. Pour que le Japon se qualifie pour trois places, les deux meilleurs patineurs japonais devaient avoir un total de placement combiné de 10 ou moins. Daisuke Takahashi a terminé à la cinquième place et Takahito Mura a terminé à la neuvième place, de sorte que leur total combiné était de 14. Le total combiné de 14 n'aurait donné au Japon qu'une seule place pour la compétition masculine aux Jeux olympiques.

Yuzu est tombé sur son premier quadruple orteil et n'a pas réussi à terminer sa combinaison triple Lutz-triple boucle orteil et s'est retrouvé à la neuvième place à la fin du programme court. Afin d'obtenir trois places pour le Japon aux Jeux olympiques, il était impératif que Yuzu termine à la quatrième place.

Cela fait toujours monter les larmes aux yeux en regardant Yuzu mettre son cœur et son âme dans le patinage libre, "Notre Dame de Paris", et obtenir le troisième score le plus élevé du programme long pour se hisser de la neuvième à la quatrième place au classement général, sécurisant le Japon trois places aux Jeux olympiques.

: iagree:  GEO1 : we feel good in this program which will draw its strength and for that  :headdesk: young YUZU who has a mental of hardened steel and it is especially the end, when he is almost lying on the ice and seeks his breath and gets up painfully in tripping  :weeping:and feeling his ankle and all for his country and the 2014 Olympics 

On the other hand, I did not find this podium of his JNATS 2012? 2013? where he gets booed  :/ : do you have a link please? and undergoing this so young makes us write that YES Yuzu are proud of you 

ULRINIS oh YES the haters know what they are doing and laugh more  >:( and are happy with their mistakes towards him  :cursing: : because destroying is their goal, alas ......  

EREN, your medicines are excellent  :heartpound: and I add : nana ni nare / masquerade 

21 minutes ago, Yuzuwinnie said:

: iagree:  GEO1 : we feel good in this program which will draw its strength and for that  :headdesk: young YUZU who has a mental of hardened steel and it is especially the end, when he is almost lying on the ice and seeks his breath and gets up painfully in tripping  :weeping:and feeling his ankle and all for his country and the 2014 Olympics 

On the other hand, I did not find this podium of his JNATS 2012? 2013? where he gets booed  :/ : do you have a link please? and undergoing this so young makes us write that YES Yuzu are proud of you 

ULRINIS oh YES the haters know what they are doing and laugh more  >:( and are happy with their mistakes towards him  :cursing: : because destroying is their goal, alas ......  

EREN, your medicines are excellent  :heartpound: and I add : nana ni nare / masquerade 

This is a short low-resolution video showing the sadness on Yuzu’s face when he won his first Japanese national championships. Instead of joy, he suffered sadness.