General Yuzuru Chat

Before the arrival of NC I did not know that USF had that much power in ISU. Their ladies weren't strong for a while so I thought NC wouldn't be marked for his nationality, but I think around 2019 I started to notice things that were blatantly obvious. I think what broke this prejudice for me was 2019 GPF when I clearly look back at Yuzu landing the most perfect 4Lz and 4Lo in his free and landing most of his other jumps well but still lost. 

I am kind of shocked that NC is invited to all these late night talk shows all of a sudden it's like USF even has power on the US mass media, like not all gold medalists are invited to Jimmy Kimmel, but NC was. I am starting to finally realize that although figure skating is a minor sport, the power it has in US is different, and the I can tell that the US has been waiting for a men's champion for a long time, and now that they have finally got one, I can only imagine how much they will downplay Yuzu more so in the future. The more Yuzu continues skating, the more of a threat he is to their entire narrative. I think the next seasons that Yuzu continues skating will be even harder on Yuzu and on us because of this.

7 minutes ago, Harutolama said:

Before the arrival of NC I did not know that USF had that much power in ISU. Their ladies weren't strong for a while so I thought NC wouldn't be marked for his nationality, but I think around 2019 I started to notice things that were blatantly obvious. I think what broke this prejudice for me was 2019 GPF when I clearly look back at Yuzu landing the most perfect 4Lz and 4Lo in his free and landing most of his other jumps well but still lost. 

I am kind of shocked that NC is invited to all these late night talk shows all of a sudden it's like USF even has power on the US mass media, like not all gold medalists are invited to Jimmy Kimmel, but NC was. I am starting to finally realize that although figure skating is a minor sport, the power it has in US is different, and the I can tell that the US has been waiting for a men's champion for a long time, and now that they have finally got one, I can only imagine how much they will downplay Yuzu more so in the future. The more Yuzu continues skating, the more of a threat he is to their entire narrative. I think the next seasons that Yuzu continues skating will be even harder on Yuzu and on us because of this.

I refuse to succumb to doom and gloom. It may be harder, yes, but think of the good:

1. Fans love cant be bought

2. New programs from Yuzuru

3. Being able to still Yuzuru skate

4. Continued community for Yuzuru fans

5. A way to show Yuzuru we still support him

20 минут назад, Harutolama сказал:

Yuzu knows how ISU will treat him in future so it’s up to him to decide how long he will bear it. He mentioned he may continue to skate in ice shows not in competitions. 

1 hour ago, Pammi said:

Javi /comments re Yuzu's 4Sal pop update

Hide contents

This is embarrassing...I dont agree with witch hunts...and to cause enough fuss to make him reply...if it only effected fans, that is one thing, but it reflects back on Yuzuru, and that is what I dont like. You cant control others, I just wish people would consider how it could twist to hurt Yuzuru before hitting send/reply.

1 hour ago, Pammi said:

Javi /comments re Yuzu's 4Sal pop update

Hide contents

This is embarrassing...I dont agree with witch hunts...and to cause enough fuss to make him reply...if it only effected fans, that is one thing, but it reflects back on Yuzuru, and that is what I dont like. You cant control others, I just wish people would consider how it could twist to hurt Yuzuru before hitting send/reply.

To be fair we don't know what is happening behind the scenes. Who's to tell Javi hasn't messaged Yuzu several days ago to explain something might have been taken to an extreme and to apologize to him?

All I personally care about is that Yuzu doesn't feel too bad about Javi's comments at the time, and if Javi is apologising to him publicly it's more than likely he's apologised to him in private and Yuzu is over it.

At least that's what I think/hope.

This whole Javi situation is so embarrassing, my word lol he should HAVE NOT addressed the mob, it keeps the subject going and emboldens the trolls. 

That’s one thing I will give to our east asian athletes (because I feel like the chinese get this as well), they are all very aware of internet and media narratives and how it affects them. They thread carefully. Is a terrible world, shouldn’t be like this, but I appreciate their savvy, even if some slip once in a while.

Yuzu not having socials is the best decision him and his family have made for themselves.

incoming negative rant. 

Spoiler

I’m bracing myself for whatever terrible discourse will come out of this, because I can only take as much “fanyus are absolutely terrible” takes in a week. The man has to face drama after drama with only himself as the face of it, while we see stupid people gathering together. 
Yesterday was “fanyus fetishize yuzu”, before that “fanyus gatekeep asianess”, now let’s see what else. 

14 minutes ago, TokyoDream said:

To be fair we don't know what is happening behind the scenes. Who's to tell Javi hasn't messaged Yuzu several days ago to explain something might have been taken to an extreme and to apologize to him?

All I personally care about is that Yuzu doesn't feel too bad about Javi's comments at the time, and if Javi is apologising to him publicly it's more than likely he's apologised to him in private and Yuzu is over it.

At least that's what I think/hope.

I don't know, based on his response it seems to me like he and Yuzuru aren't really in contact with each other.

Spoiler

"I've seen millions of jumps and take offs thought my career and my comments where netrual and without trying to hurt anyone." - Does it sound like he's talking about his close friend?  "if it was a hole on his take off" Surely he wouldn't still keep saying that if he had actually talked to Yuzuru? And even the apology at the end, I don't know, I wouldn't apologise to a friend in public like that. I definitely don't agree with people drowning his IG with hate comments, but since his explanation basically reiterated all the things he had previously said, it doesn't (unfortunately) change my image of him. However, since dragging on this drama will only hurt Yuzuru's image, I think it's probably best to just ignore Javier altogether.

The Javi apology is going to reflect very badly on Fanyus and maybe even on Yuzu himself. I absolutely did not send or comment anything negatively on Javi's social media through this whole thing. It's the more immature Fanyus (I'd like to believe) who mobbed on Javi. There was no need to even spend any time on Javi's page or posts to write negative things. Was I disappointed by what he said? Yes. But it's better to just move on than obsess or mope over his comments. 

It probably reached a point where he felt he had to say something and I think Brian knows Javi enough to know that Javi may want to lash out, but instead he did make an attempt at an apology. As others are mentioning, I don't think him putting "blah, blah, blah" in the first lines was the best choice, but hey, he's trying to end it. I do agree that he may have felt pressured to do it out of concern for his own future (opportunities in Japan) but I wouldn't put too much money on it. It's time to move on.

1 hour ago, Harutolama said:

Yeah I remember Alysa Liu was also on Jimmy Fallon show after she won nationals at 13. Unfortunately she couldnt survive her the one season wonder curse. If Illia cant keep up the consistency then I think the USfed will try to stop Nathan from retiring. yesterday Nathan was trending on twitter for the first time -- at least first time i noticed. no wonder everyone wants the ogm bc of how much commercial value it brings. idk if this will motivate Nathan to stay for the next few years as well. He probably wont get to Yuzu's star power but the ogm and push from US fed have def helped him reach his new level of stardom for sure. good for him i guess.

if Yuzu is retiring then i dont care whether Nathan will retire or not but if Yuzu isnt then obv Nathan is still the biggest threat plus other countrymates who are more pushed like Yuma, Shoma, maybe future Kao (Idk)...etc. the isu already made the podium too crowded for him last quad. If Yuzu keeps competing it will benefit everyone else the most. They have been painting him as a popular guy who has bullying fans to keep him relevant. its hard to be Yuzuru Hanyu or his fan.

I know a lot of us dont like doom and gloom comments but I think it is normal for some of us to express our fear. I'd rather see them here because I know we will have other more wise satellites to keep us in check. Otherwise, we would only go on twitter or IG and who knows how much it can escalate. At the end of the day, I think most of our fear stems from wanting to protect Yuzu and all things good for him. The past four years had been really rough for Yuzu (and his fans)- he was treated more unfairly, got people turning their backs on him, injured, couldnt achieve some of the goals. So personally I empathize with a lot of the emotions on this forum. But  with that being said I also really encourage is after we vent about the bad and the ugly, that we also try to celebrate the good. For example, if he didnt keep competing after PC, he wouldnt have won another 7 WRs or achieved super slam or come out with new programs or jump beautiful jumps like 4a, 3a3lo,4t3a, 4lz...etc. He also skated better than he ever did before and his jumps got even bigger. He earned more respect from his true fans and came to the realization that there are things beyond winning and things beyond his own control. He seemed more open about these things now. Of course I cannot claim to understand how Yuzu feels in his deepest private moments, but based on his interview responses, his outlook toward competing appear to have evolved in a positive way. He seemed to enjoy training, practicing, challenging, and skating more than before. It's a great silver lining to talk about too. He will always have a group of fans to stay with him through the storm regardless of placements. Easy come easy go --if people are his fans just for his medals then they will leave him once he stop medalling. But thats obviously not the case here, which makes me feel very proud as a fan. Prior to Beijing, Yuzu was afraid his 2 OGM will be affected (sorry cant remember exact quote) but after he finished the competition, he mentioned that he will always be proud that he won 2 ogms and will hold his head high. So I am trying to liken his mindset. There was a fear that if he keeps competiting and losing then his past legacy would be erased. The truth is there will always be those who are quick to erase his legacy regardless. There are those who have never acknowledged in the first place. So its a losing battle to try to prove them wrong. I look forward to all the things that will happen one competition at a time. I am hopeful that whatever decision he chooses for himself, he is strong enough to handle the outcome because he is Hanyu Yuzuru. 

on another topic

Spoiler

sad about the witchhunt situation on Javi's IG. I just wish fanyus could be a bit more controlled at times. some battles are needed yes but other times its a bit foolish. i guess this is the cons of having a huge fandom. Now that Javi "apologized" its only painting Yuzu and his fans in an even more negative light. i guess there isnt much else to be remedied so hopefully this is the end of it yikes

1 hour ago, Kat said:

Ik weiger te bezwijken voor kommer en kwel. Het is misschien moeilijker, ja, maar denk aan het goede:

1. Fans liefde kan niet worden gekocht

2. Nieuwe programma's van Yuzuru

3. Yuzuru nog kunnen skaten

4. Vervolg community voor Yuzuru-fans

5. Een manier om Yuzuru te laten zien dat we  hem nog steeds steunen

Your points and Harutama's are showing that artist Yuzuru really should go his own way. Independant and if there are no (big) platforms to perform on (reasonable, you know without these stories that are there ),  then creating them himself, organizing that new platforms will come in this world. 

Olympic Art, no games.