General Yuzuru Chat

3 minutes ago, Pammi said:

Yes that's what I struggle with too! If I don't watch in real time and just wait till I hear what happened, there are no nerves!....but it's very hard NOT to watch in real time lol - thanks for all the tips, I'll give them a try but I imagine I'll still be jumping around complaining how sick I feel! Then after, I ask myself why I put myself through it all when it's supposed to be fun!

I'm going to be flying across the country while the Men's FS is airing live. I debated so hard whether I should just look up the results when I land and then watch the competition knowing how it turns out. I'm gonna be brave, stay off social media during the travel day, and then sit down once I get to my destination and watch the comp as if it's live, but it was such a temptation to not put myself through that.

On 1/27/2022 at 11:54 AM, turquoiseblue said:

For those who want to contact IOC, here is a link to their contact form:

https://support.olympics.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new

You can also send a reply or mention on social media:

Dear Satellites -- I know I am beating this to death and I know some of you have already done this so thank you! Seeing how the efforts of many ppl here who emailed IOC about the profile situation and how it got them to change has made me somewhat hopeful. So if you could also take a minute to send them another email to reconsider the judging panel or at least bring to their attention about the corruption that would be really great. There is a site that discusses about the panel notably Martineze from Mexico and Maeda from Japan that will be very problematic.

https://sportlandiamartina.wordpress.com/

And I remember many fans here have had come up with our own analyses throughout the past years so def bring those up as well if you dont mind. 

Lets act sooner than later. worst case scenario is that they dont do anything but best case scenario is they do do something. Thank you all in advance! 

On 1/25/2022 at 11:53 AM, rockstaryuzu said:

For me, the defining difference is fearfulness. Excitement and anxiety feel physically the same, but emotionally speaking, if there's an underlying fear of loss or of harm, then I'm anxious. If I'm anticipating/expecting something positive, then I'm excited. So to 'flip the script'  so to speak, I need to move from fear to anticipation. 'I don't know how I'll do, I hope I do well' becomes 'I can't wait to see how I'll do, I know I'll do well" .

On 1/25/2022 at 12:26 PM, DancingFeather said:

How do you deal with failure when you accomplished that mindset? I feel a bit like I lie to myself when I say "I know I'll do well" and then I fail. Or is it the intention that there won't be the feeling of failure because I did as well as I could? (I hope my english is comprehensible.)

3 hours ago, Pianistliz said:

As a musician, I'm a huge performance psychology geek and I read in one book (Beyond Grit, I think) that instead of fearing the possibility of failure that can come with pressure, we need to view pressure as a privilege and embrace it, grateful for the opportunity to be influential in our field. It has helped my performance mindset (and general anxiety) significantly! I've also learned to not fear nerves. You're so right, often people start to feel nervous butterflies before a big performance/event and get worried that those nerves will sabotage everything or that it means they aren't prepared enough, and it spirals into uncontrolled anxiety, but the best thing to do is understand that nerves are normal and we should expect to feel nerves and be ok existing with them. Then we're free to keep our focus on the main thing we're there to do. 

As Yuzu has always said, being nervous before competitions is normal and everyone experiences it. It's what you do with that anxiety and nervousness that makes a difference. As @Pianistliz has stated, Yuzu says that this pressure empowers him.

To address @DancingFeather concerns, Yuzu has said that failure is a part of success. Of course, you are going to feel disappointed, frustrated and kuyashi if you do not succeed, but you can take that failure and learn from it.

Thomas Edison said that genius is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration. Yuzu is no different. Practice makes perfect may be trite, but it is true. Obviously, you will have a much more positive attitude going into an event, whatever it is, if you have thoroughly prepared for it.

On the other hand, there are times that, unjustly or otherwise, your efforts will not bear the fruit that you had hoped for. This is where it is good to remember Yuzu's wise words that efforts may lie, but will never be in vain. Do not get discouraged.

The following, under the spoiler, are my thoughts about how Yuzu has achieved everything he set out to do.

Spoiler

Looking back at Yuzu's career, it is amazing to see that he has achieved everything he has set out to accomplish. We are all familiar with the video of 10 or 11-year-old mushroom-headed Yuzu with the toothy grin saying that he wants to win the gold medal at the Winter Olympics after Vancouver. Yuzu has said that he had always wanted to win two consecutive Olympic gold medals, but the first time that I heard of this was in a video where Brian Orser said that he and Yuzu were taking a walk by the Black Sea after the 2012 GPF in Sochi when he asked Yuzu what he wanted to accomplish and Yuzu replied without hesitation that he wanted to win the next two Olympics.

There is also a TV interview that Yuzu did at a local NHK station in Sendai on or about April 25, 2012 following his bronze medal win at the world championships in Nice and before going to train with Brian Orser in Toronto. In this TV interview, the male interviewer reviewed Yuzu's accomplishments to date and brought out Yuzu's gold medal from the 2011 Rostelecom Cup and his recently won bronze medal from Nice. He said to Yuzu, having accomplished this much at your age, don't you feel that you have achieved enough? Yuzu said that he was aiming to compete at the 2014 Sochi Olympics which prompted the interviewer to ask him a question along the lines of "What kind of skater do you want to be at Sochi? Do you want to be good at jumping, spinning or skating?" Yuzu replied that he wanted to be a complete skater and be good at all of them. The interviewer laughed almost scoffingly and said words to the effect of, "Of course, everyone wants to be good at everything, but what do you really want to be good at?" Yuzu said that he wanted to be able to skate with a perfectly silent edge without any ice grinding noises. The interviewer made fun of Yuzu asking him whether it would be okay for people to listen to the sound of his skates in future competitions. Yuzu replied that even a novice fan should be able to appreciate it and openly welcomed the interviewer to watch because he said that he performed much better when he knew that people were watching him. He then went on to repeat that he wanted to do everything well. He was 17 years old then and he has gone on to accomplish this to become the total package. I wonder what that doubting male interviewer thinks now.

This is why I have a lot of faith in Yuzu's ability to achieve what he has set out to accomplish no matter how difficult or impossible it may appear to be.

This is the third Olympics where Yuzu is the challenger. In 2014, the favourite to win was Patrick Chan. He was the three-time world champion and thought to be unbeatable. Yuzu had lost to him at the two 2013 Grand Prix events – Skate Canada International and Trophee Eric Bompard. In fact, Patrick had set new world records at TEB. Although Yuzu beat Patrick at the 2013 GPF in Fukuoka, most people still thought that Patrick was the favourite going into Sochi.

Going into PyeongChang, Yuzu had the devastating injury to his right ankle at the NHK Trophy and there was great doubt that he would be able to compete. Even after he showed up with his phalanx of sunglass and black beret wearing paramilitary security guards, everyone questioned whether he was competitive until he had finished his short program. Even without the injury, Nathan Chen was considered by many to be the favourite for gold until his disastrous short program.

This time, the scenario is similar. Nathan is being touted as a three-time world champion who has repeatedly beaten Yuzu since the PyeongChang short program and the overwhelming gold medal favourite. This was the case even before Yuzu had the déjà vu right ankle injury while practicing at the NHK Trophy.

Since PyeongChang and particularly since the pandemic, Yuzu has been obsessed with the 4A. I really questioned the wisdom of this since the risk of failure is so high and the reward for successfully landing it is ridiculously low; however, in typical Yuzu fashion, he surprised me at Japanese Nationals with how much he has improved since the WTT and how close he came to successfully landing the 4A.

I am confident that Yuzu, with his positive mindset and determination, will convert that nervous energy to power and skate perfectly clean in the SP and FS to make history by achieving his dream of successfully landing the 4A in competition and winning his third consecutive Olympic gold medal.  I am also taking comfort in "the rule of three" – that things come in threes – in this case, three consecutive Olympic gold medals.

9 hours ago, Mary_kyo said:

Well-done Fanyus. bullying works

:smiley-laughing021: :poke:

2 hours ago, Yuzurella said:

Ten days until men's SP in Beijing Olympics! :10636614:

Uh, WHAT? JUST WHAT? I AM NOT READY

2 hours ago, makebelieveup said:

Dear Satellites -- I know I am beating this to death and I know some of you have already done this so thank you! Seeing how the efforts of many ppl here who emailed IOC about the profile situation and how it got them to change has made me somewhat hopeful. So if you could also take a minute to send them another email to reconsider the judging panel or at least bring to their attention about the corruption that would be really great. There is a site that discusses about the panel notably Martineze from Mexico and Maeda from Japan that will be very problematic.

https://sportlandiamartina.wordpress.com/

And I remember many fans here have had come up with our own analyses throughout the past years so def bring those up as well if you dont mind. 

Lets act sooner than later. worst case scenario is that they dont do anything but best case scenario is they do do something. Thank you all in advance! 

Who did you email? I will send an email too.

20 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

guys, it's ISU Figure Skating that picks the judging panel, not the Beijing Olympic Organizing Committee

They wrote me back - and clearly don't care to even look.

Dear Barbara,

Thank you for contacting the IOC.

International Skating Union (ISU) is responsible for selecting the judges of the figure skating competitions. 
Please refer to the following document for more information (point # 7).
https://isu.org/docman-documents-links-2/2022-beijing/qualification-systems-3/22994-figure-skating-v1-0/file

Kind regards from the support team at Olympics.