General Yuzuru Chat

2 hours ago, Geo1 said:

They do not need the q rule to pull down Yuzu’s grades of execution. How many 5.0 GOE has he received for his perfect jumps with intricate entries and exits? Has he ever been awarded the full GOE that his jumps deserved?

His quality is unmatched yet it is frustrating they are never willing to gave him points he deserves

Just read Kohei Uchimura has decided to retire - what a great athlete! If he needs a job I have an idea for him!! 

(I have linked the Yahoo Japan article in the Other Sports thread)

25 minutes ago, Bilge said:

His quality is unmatched yet it is frustrating they are never willing to gave him points he deserves

2 hours ago, Geo1 said:

They do not need the q rule to pull down Yuzu’s grades of execution. How many 5.0 GOE has he received for his perfect jumps with intricate entries and exits? Has he ever been awarded the full GOE that his jumps deserved?

Honestly id love to send ISU a novel of why they should score fairly if it changes anything. Like what makes them think its more profitable in the long run to underscore Yuzu? Out of anyone in the sport, Yuzu is the person who could probably another a olympic and still stay on top. He alone can fill a stadium or an ice show of his own all around the world! He is such a great ambassador of the sport, he is the michael jordan, the messi/ronaldo of figure skating. No matter how many crowns they try to give someone else its not going to work so why? All these years fans are just screaming to deaf ears. It baffles me. Wouldnt the general wellbeing of the sport in the long run much more considerable than short term sponsorships from other feds? If skaters are treated fairly, heck I would start watching every discipline. I would be much more interested in the sport as a whole and pay to attend more competitions even if Yuzu isnt competiting because I'd have respect for the sport.

1 hour ago, makebelieveup said:

Honestly id love to send ISU a novel of why they should score fairly if it changes anything. Like what makes them think its more profitable in the long run to underscore Yuzu? Out of anyone in the sport, Yuzu is the person who could probably another a olympic and still stay on top. He alone can fill a stadium or an ice show of his own all around the world! He is such a great ambassador of the sport, he is the michael jordan, the messi/ronaldo of figure skating. No matter how many crowns they try to give someone else its not going to work so why? All these years fans are just screaming to deaf ears. It baffles me. Wouldnt the general wellbeing of the sport in the long run much more considerable than short term sponsorships from other feds? If skaters are treated fairly, heck I would start watching every discipline. I would be much more interested in the sport as a whole and pay to attend more competitions even if Yuzu isnt competiting because I'd have respect for the sport.

Literally the moment Yuzu retires the ISU profit from the men's field is going to drop immensely because he's the main draw card for people watching the discipline. And yet they're so eager to push him out of the sport lol. 

10 hours ago, Henni147 said:

Now that you mentioned pops, I decided to take a look:

Serious pops:

ACI 2018: 2T ---> 1.35 points

COR 2018: 1A ---> 1.01 points

WC 2019: 2S* ---> 0 points

NHK 2019: 2T ---> 1.42 points

GPF 2019: 1A ---> 1.27 points

JNats 2019: 2Lz ---> 1.59 points

WTT 2021: 1S ---> 0.31 points

Minor pops:

GPF 2019: 4T+2T ---> +1.90 GOE

WTT 2021: 4T+2T ---> +3.04 GOE

Missed combos:

GPF 2019: 4T+COMBO ---> -4.75 GOE

WC 2021: 3A+REP ---> -1.94 GOE

Yes. Yuzu had more pops and missed combos than falls this cycle. But interestingly only one serious pop since 2020 and only two underrotated jumps: a 4T in his free at 4CC and the 4A attempt at JNats. Nothing else. All other 48 jumps were fully rotated with no fall.

What is especially interesting: none of the falls happened against Nathan, while the serious pops and missed combos mostly occurred in competitions, where he competed, too.

Another important statistics that I calculated:

Yuzu has attempted 124 jumps with more than 3.5 rotations in this Olympic cycle and had 4 falls, which results in a fall rate on "big jumps" of 3.2%. In the last two seasons he has attempted 36 jumps with at least 3.5 revolutions and never fell.

Of these 124 jumps he popped 6 (that 2Lz was a popped 3Lz) ---> rate: 4.8%

A fall rate of just 3.2% and popped rate of 4.8%, starting the second cycle he is 23 and now he is 27. And he has been on top thruout the second cycle, having just one bronze (wtt not counting) and continuing to develop as a skater. When it is quantified and put into perspective, every nasty thing said against him is even more absurd, but what do we know, huh, just a bunch of Fanyus.

Anyway, let's just focus on the miracle that he is. I'm going to be an optimist for once and say that he is well aware of the adversities and negativities facing him. Whatever they are, he is ready to fight them with all his might. Also, let's not say it is over until it is over. Let's wait to see how it will unfold and cheer him on. He can do it.

1 hour ago, Melodie said:

A fall rate of just 3.2% and popped rate of 4.8%, starting the second cycle he is 23 and now he is 27. And he has been on top thruout the second cycle, having just one bronze (wtt not counting) and continuing to develop as a skater. When it is quantified and put into perspective, every nasty thing said against him is even more absurd, but what do we know, huh, just a bunch of Fanyus.

Anyway, let's just focus on the miracle that he is. I'm going to be an optimist for once and say that he is well aware of the adversities and negativities facing him. Whatever they are, he is ready to fight them with all his might. Also, let's not say it is over until it is over. Let's wait to see how it will unfold and cheer him on. He can still do it.

Yes! And if Yuzu can overcome all these adversities and the unfairness and keep on doing his thing, if he can leave behind all the pain and heartache and all these disappointments, if he has the strength and security to challenge his next galactic goals with confidence, then we as his fans should support him, cheer him on, and send him all the love and positive energy we can. :ganba:

10小时前, makebelieveup说:

What is especially interesting: none of the falls happened against Nathan, while the serious pops mostly occurred in competitions, where he competed, too.

I was thinking about it. Is there any psychological factor contributing to it? Why Yuzu tends to underperform in Nathan's presence while Nathan tends to outperform in Yuzu's presence? is it the mentality of "I can't afford making any mistake" when facing Nathan that actually plays a negative role?  I think Yuzu needs a psychological "breakthrough" when face Nathan again in Olympics after 4 consecutive defeat to Nathan. Maybe 4A is the psychological breakthrough that Yuzu needs and he knows it. 

Pyschological factor plays a huge huge role in the Olympics. I read a reddit post discussing whether Yuzu or Nathan have more pressure. Majority of them vote for Nathan, they think he is so hyped for the OGM by US media and this is his best chance for OGM, while Yuzu has had two, this one is just an add-on. I kinda disagree, Yuzu has huge pressure and mental challenge in his own way.    

18 hours ago, JanMary said:

I just see someone posted an (internal) "invitation letter" to watch Beijing 2022 Figure Skating competitions. The organising party is a local Chinese sponsor. In the "invitation letter" the spectators are required to stay in Beijing at least 14 days before the competition and 7 days after the competition and do 2 PCR tests before the competition and another 2 after. They are also required to report their health condition everyday before the competition for 14 days and not go anywhere except home and office for 7 days after the competition. Only the official (arranged) transportation may be used and spectators are required to stay in designated residence during the competition period.

I wonder whether anyone living outside Beijing could meet all these requirements. And consider the strict quarantine requirement in China, if anyone in the stadium is tested positive, everyone in the stadium may need to be quarantined for another 14-21 days in hotels. Even if there are fans who are willing to take the risk, they still need to get an "invitation" to begin with. Can't estimate how many fans will be able to go in the end... 

Wow. 

I hate to say it, but from the sounds of all that, in the end only a very select few will be able to watch. 

It kinda puts a lot of pressure on the participants too - imagine having to worry that if you test positive, the entire arena of spectators who are there to watch you compete, all the officials, all the media people, and all your competitors will have to quarantine. Because that's what it means, if I read it correctly.

29 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Wow. 

I hate to say it, but from the sounds of all that, in the end only a very select few will be able to watch. 

It kinda puts a lot of pressure on the participants too - imagine having to worry that if you test positive, the entire arena of spectators who are there to watch you compete, all the officials, all the media people, and all your competitors will have to quarantine. Because that's what it means, if I read it correctly.

Yes that is true.

China has locked down the entire Xi'an city (population ~ 13M) for three weeks now, for less than 200 local cases per day. No one (except very exceptional cases) in the city is supposed to step out of their doors. I would think quarantine the spectators is inevitable if anyone in the stadium is tested positive. 

1 hour ago, Bilge said:

LoL Max :rofl2:

To be fair: I have a very soft spot for Francesco Friedrich. He's the most successful bobsleigh rider in history and this season he became the first ever to win 11 world titles and 65 world cup races in his career. What he has achieved, deserves highest appreciation.

Also, Ryoyu Kobayashi was just one win away to become the first ever ski jumper in history to win the 4 Hills Grand Slam twice, which is close to a miracle. Only Sven Hannavald (2001/02), Kamil Stoch (2017/18) and Ryoyu (2018/19) managed to win the Grand Slam once in 70 editions of the tournament. He's a phenomenal jumper and a dream to watch when he's on. It's a shame that the tough competition schedule paid its toll on him on the final day, but he still managed to win the combined total with a huge margin of 24 points.

I will definitely root for both of them to do well in Beijing :cheer:

16 hours ago, Orsa2017 said:

They did him a phantom UR, didn't they?!  if i remember at the first season with the new rules..  

The q rule was introduced mid-cycle before the 20/21 season if I remember correctly.

Here is a full list of Yuzu's jumps that were marked as UR in this cycle. "Attempted jumps" counts every jump separately within a combo/sequence:

URs 18/19 URs in 19/20 URs in 20/21 URs in 21/22

Competitions: 4

Attempted jumps: 60

UR rate: 8.3%

FinGP 2018: 4Lo<

4T<

COR 2018: 4T+1Eu<<+3S

3A< (fall)

WC 2019: 4S<

Competitions: 6

Attempted jumps: 90

UR rate: 11.1%

ACI 2019: 4S<

4T<

4T<+1Eu+3S

3A+3T<

NHK 2019: 4T+3T<

GPF 2019: 4T+1Eu+3F<

JNats 2019: 4T+1Eu+3F<

3A+3T<

3A< (fall)

4CC 2020: 4T< (fall)

Competitions: 3

Attempted jumps: 45

UR rate: 2.2%

WC 2021: 4S q

Competitions: 1

Attempted jumps: 15

UR rate: 6.7%

JNats 2021: 4A<<

Footnote: I just realized that I overlooked one q at Worlds 2021 in Yuzu's FS. Sorry for that.

Guest Mary_kyo

Interesting that even after an asthma attack, he could rotate almost all his jumps. I believe if he stays “relevantly” healthy, he can land clean 4A (it seems to me he has the working formula for it now) and also win. The main challenge is him staying healthy. Imo, it’s even more important than fair judging.

I sometimes think if he was more physically healthy and didn’t suffer from asthma, he could have had a much easier career. But all these challenges just make him more inspiring and his successes more meaningful.