General Yuzuru Chat

56 minutes ago, makebelieveup said:

thanks for pulling this interesting stat! I realized that Yuzu also had a couple of pops which were even more costly, so we have to also take that into account.

Now that you mentioned pops, I decided to take a look:

Serious pops:

ACI 2018: 2T ---> 1.35 points

COR 2018: 1A ---> 1.01 points

WC 2019: 2S* ---> 0 points

NHK 2019: 2T ---> 1.42 points

GPF 2019: 1A ---> 1.27 points

JNats 2019: 2Lz ---> 1.59 points

WTT 2021: 1S ---> 0.31 points

Minor pops:

GPF 2019: 4T+2T ---> +1.90 GOE

WTT 2021: 4T+2T ---> +3.04 GOE

Missed combos:

GPF 2019: 4T+COMBO ---> -4.75 GOE

WC 2021: 3A+REP ---> -1.94 GOE

Yes. Yuzu had more pops and missed combos than falls this cycle. But interestingly only one serious pop since 2020 and only two underrotated jumps: a 4T in his free at 4CC and the 4A attempt at JNats. Nothing else. All other 48 jumps were fully rotated with no fall.

What is especially interesting: none of the falls happened against Nathan, while the serious pops and missed combos mostly occurred in competitions, where he competed, too.

Another important statistics that I calculated:

Yuzu has attempted 124 jumps with more than 3.5 rotations in this Olympic cycle and had 4 falls, which results in a fall rate on "big jumps" of 3.2%. In the last two seasons he has attempted 36 jumps with at least 3.5 revolutions and never fell.

Of these 124 jumps he popped 6 (that 2Lz was a popped 3Lz) ---> rate: 4.8%

24 minutes ago, jier said:

I have seen this as well. Based on the rule of quarantine for 7 days after a competition, I think a person can only watch one competition. There is so much effort/sacrifice to make for that one competition. And the Olympic overlaps with Chinese New Year, it means more sacrifice than usual. I am sure if it is open to the public, a lot of cfanyus would make such sacrifice. However, since it is arranged, this basically means an inconvenient assignment for non-fans.  And since Tianjin, the city neighboring to Beijing has Omicron cases, I really think the most likely case in the end is without any audience. I mean, really, what's the point to have thousands of arranged audience, which is logistically risky and costly for Covid prevention, requring huge efforts both from the organizers and the audience, while most of the audience are not even fans of the sports (not only figure skating, the same apply to speed skating, ice hockey..) .

Agree, fans do not get a chance and non-fans won't even bother. Even there are spectators there won't be many.

27 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

Now that you mentioned pops, I decided to take a look:

Serious pops:

ACI 2018: 2T ---> 1.35 points

COR 2018: 1A ---> 1.01 points

WC 2019: 2S* ---> 0 points

NHK 2019: 2T ---> 1.42 points

GPF 2019: 1A ---> 1.27 points

JNats 2019: 2Lz ---> 1.59 points

WTT 2021: 1S ---> 0.31 points

Minor pops:

GPF 2019: 4T+2T ---> +1.90 GOE

WTT 2019: 4T+2T ---> +3.04 GOE

Missed combos:

GPF 2019: 4T+COMBO ---> -4.75 GOE

WC 2021: 3A+REP ---> -1.94 GOE

Yes. Yuzu had more pops and missed combos than falls this cycle.

What is especially interesting: none of the falls happened against Nathan, while the serious pops mostly occurred in competitions, where he competed, too.

thank you! this is actually what im more concerned bc the more costly pop occured whenever he competed against Nathan. I just hope he doesnt pop the 4a at beijing. it looks like a fall would still garner some points. 

50 minutes ago, Mary_kyo said:

The way they say this loud and clear.... 

someone correct her statement please it should be "ISU generally does not have strict calling for certain annointed skaters"

eta

I remember there are those who are a bit optimistic that the olympic will be under less isu influences here since it will be regulated by ioc, correct? But like sochi was such a scandal. And in the recent tokyo olympic, i heard dina averina was also upset and got silver. Many fans  were claiming that she got robbed bc one of the judges was ukrainian. What I mean is I still think in a sense there will still be political influences. 

21 minutes ago, makebelieveup said:

thank you! this is actually what im more concerned bc the more costly popa occured whenever he competed against Nathan. I just hope he doesnt pop the 4a at beijing. it looks like a fall would still garner some points. 

Yes, I root for him to succeed too.

But very good news for us: Yuzu's only jump that got marked as UR in the last two seasons was this 4A attempt. Nothing else. He did not even get a q anywhere.

Footnote: that was actually my biggest worry after the introduction of the q rule. That they play tricks on him with that q and pull his GOE down. But thankfully, it didn't happen.

1 hour ago, Henni147 said:

Yes, I root for him to succeed too.

But very good news for us: Yuzu's only jump that got marked as UR in the last two seasons was this 4A attempt. Nothing else. He did not even get a q anywhere.

Footnote: that was actually my biggest worry after the introduction of the q rule. That they play tricks on him with that q and pull his GOE down. But thankfully, it didn't happen.

They did him a phantom UR, didn't they?!  if i remember at the first season with the new rules..  

Edit:  No, I checked and it was 2019 Autumn Classic Canada, but when they asked him about it he was confident about the quality of his jumps and brushed it off.. lol..

Edit 2:  Now that i'm checking 2019 news.. he said then that he landed the 4F 3 times back then :lol: and we celebrated him landing it before NHK!! lol..  He also jumped a 5T on his second try with a Harness!!  :13877886:

2 hours ago, jier said:

I have seen this as well. Based on the rule of quarantine for 7 days after a competition, I think a person can only watch one competition. There is so much effort/sacrifice to make for that one competition. And the Olympic overlaps with Chinese New Year, it means more sacrifice than usual. I am sure if it is open to the public, a lot of cfanyus would make such sacrifice. However, since it is arranged, this basically means an inconvenient assignment for non-fans.  And since Tianjin, the city neighboring to Beijing has Omicron cases, I really think the most likely case in the end is without any audience. I mean, really, what's the point to have thousands of arranged audience, which is logistically risky and costly for Covid prevention, requring huge efforts both from the organizers and the audience, while most of the audience are not even fans of the sports (not only figure skating, the same apply to speed skating, ice hockey..) .

Considering the Covid situation in China, I think the Olympics will probably take place without an audience. To be honest, I think no audience would not only be safer than an arranged audience, it would also be fairer. After all, how can it be that normal audiences, even domestic ones, don't have a chance to watch the competitions, while people who work in certain places or have certain connections get to watch? No audiences would be the best solution.

2 hours ago, makebelieveup said:

thank you! this is actually what im more concerned bc the more costly pop occured whenever he competed against Nathan. I just hope he doesnt pop the 4a at beijing. it looks like a fall would still garner some points. 

No falling for Yuzu. Only clean programs. Time to manifest the very best and successful for Yuzu. (I am okay with others falling, popping, UR'ing or otherwise losing points, but no names mentioned here....)

3 hours ago, makebelieveup said:

someone correct her statement please it should be "ISU generally does not have strict calling for certain annointed skaters"

eta

I remember there are those who are a bit optimistic that the olympic will be under less isu influences here since it will be regulated by ioc, correct? But like sochi was such a scandal. And in the recent tokyo olympic, i heard dina averina was also upset and got silver. Many fans  were claiming that she got robbed bc one of the judges was ukrainian. What I mean is I still think in a sense there will still be political influences. 

Unfortunately, a certain level of political influences and corruption will probably still be present in the Olympics, but I still believe that it will be a bit more balanced than pure ISU competitions. Sochi was a huge scandal, but the situation in Beijing will be different. There will be no home favorites in figure skating except for pairs, while in Sochi, it was clear that the hosting nation wanted their own woman to win. If there would've been a better Russian male skater, they would've also pushed him.

I also have the hope that the IOC might be more behind fair scoring because they don't want to tarnish their reputation even more. And I think the host wouldn't want to lose their face through a huge scoring scandal.

And again, I have to say that Nathan will still have to deliver at the Olympics. He looked a bit insecure to me during USNats. The hype was so overwhelming, it was beyond ridiculous. It felt like they were desperate to create an unbeatable hero. The media and US fed have been working on this narrative for years. Therefore, Nathan is expected to win gold. Who knows if he can withstand the pressure.

There is also another thing I have to mention again. Nathan has never won against a Yuzu who had a clean SP as well as a clean FP. Of course, Yuzu shouldn't have needed to be clean in both programs to beat Nathan, but Yuzu's mistakes made it easy for the judges to underscore him and overscore Nathan.

Yuzu seems to be more confident of himself, his strengths, and his goals than he has in a long time, perhaps ever. There is such a maturity and security about him. He knows what he does best. He knows what his priorities are.

I just wish Yuzu all the best on his journey. May he achieve his dreams and goals. May he be happy and healthy. May he smile and have fun. May he receive all the rewards he deserves to get for his efforts, commitment, and never ceasing will to improve himself and be the best he can be. :smiley-angelic001:

3 hours ago, Henni147 said:

They do not need the q rule to pull down Yuzu’s grades of execution. How many 5.0 GOE has he received for his perfect jumps with intricate entries and exits? Has he ever been awarded the full GOE that his jumps deserved?

Guest turquoiseblue
2 hours ago, makebelieveup said:

I just realized he has a new ending bow

Here is some information:

Chiburui (血振るい), also called chiburi,[1] is the process by which one symbolically removes blood from a sword blade. The term chiburui can thus be translated as "shaking off the blood". In the Japanese martial art of iaidō, this is done before nōtō or placing the blade back into the scabbard (known as saya).[2]

Source: Wikipedia

Guest turquoiseblue
13 minutes ago, Yuzurella said:

Fanyus are just absolutely amazing! :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

More postcards for Yuzu :68271262:

Spoiler

You can see the love they put into each and every postcard :tumblr_llidknnxec1qzbrv5::tumblr_inline_mzx8t1Yuvn1r8msi5::tumblr_llidknnxec1qzbrv5: