General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

They have to go anyway, they have multiple athletes competing. Assuming China is willing to let coaches/team staff in, Brian & Co, will have to meet all the requirements of any one attending the Games, so, vaxxing and quarantine etc. 

they should be fine if they stay clear of Covid from now until the games 

12 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

That's harder than it sounds rn.

I know, a lot of conditions must be met, but provided that these conditions are met, they should be able to enter Beijing to meet their athletes there without quarantine, since they are the coaches. 

5 hours ago, guiltypleasure said:

OT, but I just read Shu-Pa! is leaving twitter bcs she doesn't want to deal with the crap.  Iron Klaus gave up recently due to the amount of hostility she received.  I have relied on both of them for translations and other Yuzu related stuff, and I'm really sad to see them go.  Going to say a prayer now for Axelwithwings for the future. 

I did follow that one a bit. IMO it happened because of some misunderstandings and lack of consideration for those who are not native English speakers and/or come from a different cultural background. There might be nuances behind English words which they do not have a full grasp.

It didn't have to be that way tho. They could have just DM'ed the translator and said "hey, this part is problematic because....." or "what do you mean by..." I am sure things would have been solved peacefully because Shupa has only been respectful and credible on Twitter. 

With that said, all the best for Shupa-san and prayers for those few legit translators that we have left. 

On a personal note, learning from this, I probably won't engage in translating stuff from my mother tongue to English, just to be on the safe side with people.

We are all living in a stressful world. No need to add more stress to ourselves and others.

4 時間前, esteeさんが言いました:

A historical note: I just want to mention that an actual sword that once belonged to Uesugi Kenshin will be exhibited in Tokyo from Jan. 21 to March 25, as part of this show at the Mori Arts Center Gallery:

https://macg.roppongihills.com/en/exhibitions/heroes/index.html

Most of the show is swords and woodblock prints on loan from the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, but they have also added a few works from Japanese collections, including the Kenshin sword.

If you miss the show in Tokyo, it will travel afterward to Niigata (4/23-6/19), Shizuoka (7/2-8/28), and Hyogo (9/10-11/20), according to the MACG website. I wish I could see it, but alas, I probably won’t be able to go to Japan at all this year.

Thank you for your information.  The place is quite near to where I'm working now. I'll definitely visit the exhibition :2thumbsup:

12 時間前, turquoiseblueさんが言いました:

I'm concerned that the delivery time might take longer than usual due to the pandemic and Olympics... :tumblr_inline_mg16f1RxCn1qdlkyg:

Yeah, I think so. But the committee may accept. And post card by simp;e airmail is usually around only 2$. They don't expect any registered mail. If it should not reach him, it won't cause a damage. It's just a simple trial, lucky!

6 hours ago, guiltypleasure said:

OT, but I just read Shu-Pa! is leaving twitter bcs she doesn't want to deal with the crap.  Iron Klaus gave up recently due to the amount of hostility she received.  I have relied on both of them for translations and other Yuzu related stuff, and I'm really sad to see them go.  Going to say a prayer now for Axelwithwings for the future. 

Wow that a sad news for international fans.Yuzuru is a private person with no social media.The only news and tidbits we might get from him came from jpn media..now we are going to get less info about him...

17 hours ago, Pammi said:

I looked at the protocol again yesterday having watched Rondo a trillion times and noticed there was not one 10 in transitions - just how??? after that demonstration of the whole programme practically being packed with beautiful steps and turns and twirls from one element to the next.

I'm always like ??? that the judges are only willing to give 10s for PE, CO and IN, while completely holding back with SS and especially TR.

If I take a look at the criteria and requirements for the different program components, CO should be BY FAR the lowest score for 95% of all programs out there. For Rondo, I would have given

SS 9.75 (exit from the 4T+3T combo and the twizzle after the 3A could have more control)

TR 10.00 (the total of 6 crossovers itself deserves a perfect 10.00 by default)

PE 9.75 (overall sophistication and intellectual involvement improvable)

CO 9.50 (musical phrasing in 1st half and ice coverage globally improvable)

IN 9.75 (rhythm and tempo between 4S and 4T+3T, and during the camel spin improvable)

Like Yuzu himself said, the program could still be a bit more sophisticated and polished overall, which is totally understandable as it was the very first outing in competition.

7 hours ago, guiltypleasure said:

OT, but I just read Shu-Pa! is leaving twitter bcs she doesn't want to deal with the crap. Iron Klaus gave up recently due to the amount of hostility she received. I have relied on both of them for translations and other Yuzu related stuff, and I'm really sad to see them go.  Going to say a prayer now for Axelwithwings for the future. 

It makes me very sad to see all these translators leave, too. It's just natural that not all translations are 100% accurate, but a) we're not paid professionals but amateur volunteers and b) the more different translations we have, the better will be the global understanding of the original Japanese source. We should be grateful to the work of every single translator out there.

Also: If the so-called "professionals" in western media were half as accurate as our volunteer fan-translators, the world would be a better place. It's mainly them who put words into Yuzu's mouth that he never said, and many translations in official news articles are truly harmful like the recent one: "I'm the only one who has the right to win." Translations like this cause unnecessary tension, provocation and put Yuzu in a bad light, making him look totally arrogant, which he isn't at all.

Footnote: Whatever happens, I will definitely continue as a Wiki author and try my best to keep his pages updated after the Olympics, too  :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

Guest Mary_kyo

I will miss ShuPa’s tweets and translations a lot. Such a respectful, sweet and kind human being and very accurate in her translations too. Sigh. It’s such a pity because everything could have been clarified peacefully with a more kind and direct attitude by some fanyus. Given the very positive reputation of the translator, attacking and tweeting passive aggressive words was definitely not the solution.

I’m very grateful for all of these translators and the time they voluntarily spend to deliver Yuzu’s words to international fans. I’m hugely disappointed in a group of fanyus who pose as level-headed openminded humans but can’t even resolve simple misunderstanding with a respected translator. Also maybe these people try to do translations themselves to really understand what a difficult demanding task it is before jumping on the efforts of others.

Guest turquoiseblue
6 hours ago, estee said:

A historical note: I just want to mention that an actual sword that once belonged to Uesugi Kenshin will be exhibited in Tokyo from Jan. 21 to March 25, as part of this show at the Mori Arts Center Gallery:

https://macg.roppongihills.com/en/exhibitions/heroes/index.html

Most of the show is swords and woodblock prints on loan from the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, but they have also added a few works from Japanese collections, including the Kenshin sword.

If you miss the show in Tokyo, it will travel afterward to Niigata (4/23-6/19), Shizuoka (7/2-8/28), and Hyogo (9/10-11/20), according to the MACG website. I wish I could see it, but alas, I probably won’t be able to go to Japan at all this year.

@estee Welcome to the Planet and thank you for sharing the information! :balloons-smiley:

1 hour ago, hamaguri said:

Yeah, I think so. But the committee may accept. And post card by simp;e airmail is usually around only 2$. They don't expect any registered mail. If it should not reach him, it won't cause a damage. It's just a simple trial, lucky!

You are right :agree: Hopefully all postcards will reach Yuzu :smiley-angelic001::fingerscrossed::smiley-angelic001::fingerscrossed::smiley-angelic001: :grouphug::snonegai:

And here is the message posted by our kind satellite @Poohdanslarue who offered help :68271262:

11 hours ago, guiltypleasure said:

Oh no :sad4:

I was always very grateful for all translations.

Takeshi Honda, Miyo Ichikawa (Curler) and Tomomi Okazaki (former speed skater) talk about Yuzu :yes:

Info about the talk show
https://www.nhk.jp/p/kataritei/ts/J78P4Q7RGQ/episode/te/7Q97WG968X/

[NEWS]

58 分, turquoiseblueさんが言いました:

:tumblr_inline_n2pje2TPZt1qdlkyg:

Wow! It is so exquisite! I have heard that the theme of medals is 天地(heaven and earth), of course, it's the same as our 天と地と.

Beautiful blue. This really fits with his elegance. And yuzu was not at all conscious of Olympics though, his blue costumes in SP and FP really fit with Beijing Olympics color.

Winds are blowing for him.

(And from the experience of Tokyo Olympics this summer, those who are working for Beijing Olympics must be having hard hard times. Olympics in this situation cannot be achieved without the dedication of so many people. I really respect them and thank them. And still the tickets are not sold. Please please with spectators! Audience is a must in sports. I wish things will go well!).