General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, SuzyQ said:

Asahi Shimbun "Witnesses of the Legend"

No. 5 エッジを拭く手を止めた羽生結弦 真剣な目、「負けた」と感じた先輩

Yuzuru Hanyu stopped wiping the blades. His serious eyes - the time his senpai felt he had lost (to Hanyu)

https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASPDP5Q87PDLUTQP00Z.html?iref=pc_rensai_article_short_13961396_article_5

羽生結弦は2012年、17歳のときにカナダのトロントにあるクリケット・クラブに練習拠点を移した。

3歳年上で、ジュニアの頃から羽生と同じ舞台で戦ってきた中村健人さん(30)も同年から2年間、春と夏に同クラブで練習した。

金妍児(韓国)や過去にはパトリック・チャン(カナダ)ら、五輪メダリストも集まる世界トップレベルの環境。

そこでも、羽生の存在感は際立っていたという。

「(シーズンインまで時間のある)夏のはじめなのに、リンクに上がって5分ぐらいアップをしたら、すぐに曲をかけて練習していました。その前にアップを入念にやって、うまくいった演技の映像を見て……。試合のような空気でした。そのあと、曲かけでミスが出たところを個別に練習していく。同じ1時間でも、他の選手とは練習の密度が全然違いました」

飛躍を誓って海を渡った覚悟が日々の練習からにじみ出ていた。ソチオリンピック(五輪)まで、あと半年ほどのころ、羽生と交わした会話は今も忘れられない。

In 2012, at the age of 17, Yuzuru Hanyu moved his training base to the Cricket Club in Toronto, Canada.

Kento Nakamura (30), who is three years older than Hanyu and had competed on the same stage as Hanyu since they were in junior category, also trained at the club for two years starting that year, in the spring and summer lessons.

The club is a world-class environment where Olympic medalists such as Kim Yu-na (South Korea) and Patrick Chan (Canada) have trained in the past.

Even there, Hanyu's presence stood out, Nakamura says.

Even when It was early in the summer (still time before the actual skating season starts), he went to the rink and after doing a 5-minute warm-up (on the ice), he immediately started practicing with music. Before that, he had finished a very thorough warm-up and watched the videos of the performances that went well....... It was an atmosphere like an actual competition. After that, he practiced the parts where he had made mistakes in the through practice with music. The density of the practice was totally different from the other skaters, even if they were in the same one hour.

His determination with which he had crossed the ocean, vowing to make a great leap forward, was seen in his daily practice. Nakamura still remembers the conversation he had with Hanyu about six months before the Sochi Olympics.

As the main point of this article is in the latter part of the paid article, I put the summary of my translation below.

Hide contents

In 2013, Nakamura replied to Hanyu, who said "Let's work hard for the Olympics", that he would try his best to go (to the Olympics).

(Nakamura had placed sixth at the Japanese Nationals the previous year, and there were many rivals, including Takahashi, Oda, Machida, etc., and he thought it would be difficult for him to make it.)

Hanyu stopped wiping the blade in his hand, and said.

"Kento-kun, As you are a senior, it's not easy for me to say this," he said before continuing. "If you say, 'I'll try my best to go,' you won't be able to go. I'm working hard thinking that I can go, and I will definitely win a gold medal in the Olympics. That's why I'm working so hard," said with a serious look. He left the locker room saying, "Well, good work."

"He left really cool. I felt lost before the competition (laughs), but he was right.  The game had already started before the competition."

Hanyu reached the gold medal at the Sochi Olympics.

Nakamura retired in 2014 and now works for a consulting company, says, "Even as a working adult in the society, I still think that if you don't do things with that kind of spirit, you won't be able to do what you need to do. I am grateful to my younger teammate for teaching me a good lesson and a guideline for the rest of my life."

Hanyu has been clearly stating his goals since he was a child, and he has been achieving them.

Nakamura says, "He can set a firm goal for each season and 'factor out' the tasks to achieve it. He is able to think quantitatively about what kind of training and skills are needed to achieve the goal, and he is also able to think in terms of science and mathematics, such as how many GOE points are needed to get the target score, and how the performance should be structured."

In Canada, he often saw Hanyu watching his own videos and doing image training.

Hanyu once told Nakamura; "When I'm about to jump, I see myself jumping in front of me, and I superimpose myself on the image of myself jumping, and I swing my leg up, and I can jump the same way."

Nakamura couldn't help but laugh and wonder what he was talking about, but later he reconsidered that Hanyu probably had a clear image in his head of what area and how to make the jump. He thought it was proved in the World Team Trophy in April 2021. In the free skate, the quadruple salchow became a single rotation. After the competition, Hanyu recalled that he went into the hole (groove) he jumped in the last practice and got stuck.

Nakamura was strangely convinced when he heard this.

Yuzuru Hanyu may look like a 'genius,' but Nakamura doesn't think so. He has seen Hanyu working harder than any others through his practice.

Nakamura thinks it is very Yuzuru Hanyu to challenge the quad axel. It's a very difficult goal to set, but after winning the Olympics twice in a row, the number of quadruple jumps has been increasing, he has found another slot of 'legend' that has not been filled yet. Considering the trajectory he's been following, he may achieve it again.

Thank you for translating! 🙏🏽 Kento’s observations are very interesting, it really seems like Yuzuru has always been this way. Ones personality is pretty set by age 25 approximately so I don’t think we’ll be seeing him change anytime soon!!  What a life he has lived - sometimes I wonder how he will adapt after his competitive career….but no time to think of that, there’s a 4A to land and an Oly gold to win!!!

Happy new year all, and of course to Yuzuru too - may everyone stay safe, and achieve at least some of their goals this year! I’ve already achieved one - having a lie in on NewYears day lol! Didn’t require much effort tho!! 😂

:68271401::tumblr_inline_mueoe3Yabh1qdlkyg:The happiest new year, dear satellites:tumblr_inline_mueoe3Yabh1qdlkyg::68271401:

may 2022 be kind to you and full of happy things for you and your loved ones:YuzuPoohLove: 

(hadn't noticed the new yuzupooh yuzumoticons, so cute, thank you staff):thanks:

to Yuzuru, may this year bring you everything you want! :201111231756430f6: may you turn the 4Adream you've been working for into the best reality, may you be healthy&safe and grasp happiness with both hands:tumblr_inline_n18qraikFP1qid2nw::loveshower: 

:snonegai:

A year ago, this person drew the last figure on her 4A-rainbow: She chose Ten to Chi to. Now we're here, praying that this dream comes true.

Thanks everyone for the good wishes! Let's not lose hope for a better year. So please, be healthy, stay safe and positive and continue going forward one step at a time. Planet Hanyu is such a great support and learning place in doing this :grouphug: . I wish all the satellites and the silent reading visitors that in 2022, you get told "I am proud of you!".

As for you, our beloved Mr. Hanyu Yuzuru, we are always proud of you. Happy new year everyone!

9 hours ago, YuzuSkating_IsTheTruth said:

Off-topic: I'm trying to add an image here but after providing the url link and clicking Insert into post button, there's no image displayed on this post. Is there any issue with this feature?

Is the link from a images host like imgur? Maybe try add .jpeg (or other image file format), then it should embed the pic

Eta: re the bid for 2030, I'd be happy because it would almost certainly mean Yuzu would be involved (maybe finally going back to the recovery theme, as it was intended for 2020 OG), but would Jpn population really support such a bid so soon? After all the expenses for Tokyo olys and everything that went wrong with it (and IOC)?

11 hours ago, CiONTUw4A said:

Has this been shared? His attention to details is mind-blowing. 

This makes me cry. But then so much about Yuzu makes me cry. 

May he and all satellites find joy and peace in 2022! I am eternally grateful to the wonderful admins who created and maintain this site and to all the fanyus who share my love for our miracle boi. 

:cri:

Guest turquoiseblue

[NEWS]
Olympics article

Some of the greatest celebrations in the history of the Olympic Winter Games
1 January 2022

It never rains, it pours Winnie the Poohs on Hanyu

Japan’s Hanyu Yuzuru moves on the ice like few others in the history of figure skating, almost as if the ice rink was his second home. During the 2018 Games in PyeongChang, he put on an unforgettable performance full of style and panache. The gold was a foregone conclusion but what followed was a literal outpouring of stuffed toys onto the ice rink – a gentle reminder from the crowd of how much they loved the Japanese champion.

Their selections include Oksana Baiul and Midori Ito. 

Happy New Year! 

Not directly news about Yuzu but because of TTCT, I am sharing the message from the hometown of Uesugi Kenshin.  The article celebrates the fact that he was born in the year of Tiger.   (source: JouEtsu Town Journal)

The statue of Lord Kenshin shows him in the monk's cowl over the warrior's armor, which is how he is often portrayed in historic paintings and dramas.  

The article has interesting info about his life... (perhaps someone will translate? otherwise, I will do so later.)